1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join the 6th Melee Mapping Contest for a chance to have your map featured in this year's Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WARCRAFT III: REFORGED RELEASES ON JANUARY 28, 2020

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    WARCRAFT III: REFORGED RELEASES ON JANUARY 28, 2020

As you may have heard...

The drums of war thunder once again. Warcraft III: Reforged - the recreation of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - will be available at

3 p.m. PST on January 28, 2020.

Blizzard said: blizzarrow.gif

Though we’ve been working hard to get Reforged in your hands before the end of the year, as we started approaching the finish line, we felt we’d need a little extra development time for finishing touches. As always, our goal is to honor the high standards you hold us to.

We’re looking forward to kicking off whole new era of Warcraft III, and we can’t wait to face off with your mighty armies online starting January 28!

[​IMG]

2. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    *Sigh* I guess if they at least REALLY polish it and make it good enough to be worth the wait, it's good. Doesn't change the fact they had people pre-purchase the game back in 2018 and failed to deliver the product within a year... And even the "polishing" - it seems, looking at the beta at least, that World Editor did not really get any significant upgrades. No TESH, despite me remembering somebody promising new WE to have the functionality of WEX. Seems like it will only be a graphical update, without even bringing a new engine, and one that costs like an entirely new game... But, then again, it's maybe too soon for me to be pessimistic. Though I did learn in my (not so) long life, that pessimism often is closer to being realism.

3. Chaosium

Chaosium

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It's good to see a release date at last, and although I wish I could've played it during my December holidays, it's much preferable that they take their time and polish where needed than having a rushed released. Hyped!

4. Devalut

Devalut

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Are there no significant editor changes aside from models?

5. Cheezeman

Cheezeman

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nested folders in trigger editor.

6. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No offense to you specifically, but the fact that this is considered a significant change, just made my day. It's ironic how a new and improved editor was talked about so much and anticipated so highly by the community, yet nested folders is about the only significant change that we can mention.

Thanks, internet stranger.

7. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Eh, not really. There are some new things, but they're rather small.

If we consider all the recent patches, which - let's be honest - probably wouldn't have happened if not for Reforged, the editor has received a lot of nice improvements, but the Reforged Beta Editor thus far is a lot more closer to being a disappointment rather than a cherry on top of a slew of positive additions.

8. Devalut

Devalut

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  9. Venombite

Venombite

Resources:
    Resources:
    So, by what you've seen thus far, are you subtly implying here that Reforged is basically a graphics pack/graphical update?

10. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you for this comment.
    I have already said it in the past but I'll say it again: I am extremely disappointed by WE's latest features. Most of them are minor or niche features. How many people actually use Lua? How many people are able to use the new natives with no GUI support? How many people have enough programming skills to toy with UI customisation? I mean, those are not bad additions obviously, but a 2018 survey showed that 60% of Hive members use GUI only... Way to bring beginners to the modding community.
    And yet, there are tons of amazing suggestions for WE in the dedicated topics in Hive or Blizzard forums, but what we got instead will be used only by a bunch of skilled people and definitely not by the entire community (I'd loved to be proven wrong though).

11. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do you have to ask this question to everyone?

No, I don't. I think that if Blizzard wasn't doing Reforged, we wouldn't get all the editor improvements in the last couple of patches, so I count all of that as basically a part of Reforged that was given to us for free. There were also some networking/battle.net improvements and we have no idea what they are doing with the campaign, so no - it is not just graphics.

12. TheSilverWolff

TheSilverWolff

Resources:
    Resources:
    Reforged is going to have bugs and receive updates anyway, be at the end of this year, January or summer. May as well call it "open beta".
    Also have to mention the high standards lmao, every update they've doing for the last years breaks something new and don't fix many things that broke the previous ones. Dunno how gonna be for reforged, hope it's better

13. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    I will wait until I see how the campaign plays on on Youtube. Just a few missions and then I will decide if it's worth the money or not.

As it stands, if the end result is just better graphics, then I'm not sure it's worth it for myself.

14. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    That was already possible with 1.29 or 1.30, can't remember when they introduced them.

15. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    im here crying with less money and weak pc

16. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Resources:
    We're getting the Arthas vs Illidan cinematic we were robbed of on the original TFT release due to lack of time. That's about the only thing in the campaign that excites me.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh, wow, we're getting two unused voice lines in.
    From what I've seen the cinematic will still be under ingame graphics and not like the actual short films in the game.

18. Amigoltu

Amigoltu

Resources:
    Resources:
    Getting some barely relevant little cinematic, while pretty much losing the game modder community kept alive this long? All of these new patches only messed the game up, as it seems.

And reforged further messes it up by making Battle.net and internet connection mandatory, even for Single Player, never fixes networking problems (lags, desyncs, dcs, various glitches with custom maps and triggers). Look at Reforged Beta tests - many models lack animations, players can barely play because of connectivity issues, the game is so poorly optimised, that you need High-End PC for this old, old game.

The way the Beta stands, I've no idea how they are going to improve this mess over a course of a month...

19. xorkatoss

xorkatoss

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    lol wut?

Untitled.jpg

20. Devalut

Devalut

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @Sieben
    Lua has only just blossomed, and we already have a large number of great minds working with it to discover more of it's wondrous features!
    Submissions