• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Coming Night - Base Defence V 1.0

(Less) Simple Endless Base Defence Map with some Spice

After warring with the triggers for days I finally stopped bashing my head against a wall of increasing complexity and simplified the whole process so it feels so much better!

I know it's been a rough couple of days and I have been constantly updating to get the experience I wanted to make in the first place

Thank you to anyone who has downloaded each update

sorry to those who downloaded something busted and said nah, fair enough, I even took a day cuz I was getting deppy resh

I'm gonna continue testing and making things I think are cute and neat and fun, but I feel like I enjoyed my first round ever today after these changed (December 15th, 2023). I had a round that felt sort of like I intended. The waves were actually fun to prep for instead of so stressful the rest of the game was boring. More work to do as I have come to accept to make it really fun.

This is some acoustic fanboy stuff but I kinda want to make it a map Wtii would play on his channel.

THIS IS INTENDED TO BE PLAYED WITH THREE OTHER PEOPLE. IT"S CO-OP. THE INGAME AI WORKS FINE THOUGH SO NO WORRIES, TRY TO KEEP YOUR COMPUTER ALLIES ALIVE.

Hope you enjoy!

UPDATE: 12/17/23
- Fixed a few issues that were silly to have at all
- Increased XP a bit probably going to more
- Gave hostile camps gold and/or lumber drops to make them more valuable
- restored the upkeep costs to melee
- more stuff but nothing major
Contents

The Coming Night (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Footelf is the same as the Footman. Animal War Training upgrade is not a shared as there are two. Archer is already a unit of the night elf. The Ranger can be summoned again and again. Same: Druid of Secrets. Dawnhowl=Feral Spirit. Enemy units are...
The map is interesting and I like the idea of defending against slowly stronger enemies. There are some issues with gameplay experience for me. Most of these are personal, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt:
  1. The extra hero abilities are not written in description (for my case, Ranger). It is really frustrating not knowing what you'll get, even at least a glimpse (like normal melee heroes description mentioning their abilities is sufficient).
  2. The game feels extremely slow due to how slow resources are harvested. I mean, COME ON!
  3. It doesn't help that tier upgrades (halls) are extremely expensive, rendering the gameplay feel like a heavy slog.
  4. The waves feels quite static in the sense that they're not extremely varied, nor their abilities are interesting. At least the bosses can benefit from more interesting abilities.
  5. Gold mine is bugged for Undead, I speculate the same for Night Elves.
  6. I'd be honest the additional structure provided for the Human feels like a quite useless add-on. I thought I get some unique things like the Ensnare Dragonhawk with broken attack damage at the very least.
  7. Why no Gyrocopters?
  8. Siege Engine ... I wonder how useful this unit within this setting.
  9. Undead gold mine are bugged. Their golds are not increased like human or orc mines. I do not have Night Elves on my run, so I cannot check that. I'd rather have the gold set to absurd values instead of triggering the increase.
  10. Regarding the slow game, it might also be compounded with the delay between attacks, the reprieve part. Players do not have much incentive to go out and risk their armies outside of base perimeter.
  11. Oh yeah, that reminds me, WHY THE LEVELLING EXTREMELY SLOW!? Even Arthas levels up faster in Symphony of Frost and Flame than this, and he needs 8 levels there.
I survived till Day 10 when I feel bored and already lost 2 undead allies due to the gold mine bug on Day 9.

EDIT:
I noticed an update Yesterday. I think I might've played the first release.

Level 5
The extra hero abilities are not written in description (for my case, Ranger). It is really frustrating not knowing what you'll get, even at least a glimpse (like normal melee heroes description mentioning their abilities is sufficient).
This is a mistake and I will fix it asap I had no idea I missed that!
The game feels extremely slow due to how slow resources are harvested. I mean, COME ON!
Yeah fair enough, this is partly personal taste and partly an attempt to give more weight to the economy, but it might have to be shifted around a bit.
It doesn't help that tier upgrades (halls) are extremely expensive, rendering the gameplay feel like a heavy slog.
The intention here was to get the focus more on the combat and using the units at each tier, but it clearly feels more like an inconvenience lmao
The waves feels quite static in the sense that they're not extremely varied, nor their abilities are interesting. At least the bosses can benefit from more interesting abilities.
That was something I intended to spice up when I started this and forgot about, reminded!
I'd be honest the additional structure provided for the Human feels like a quite useless add-on. I thought I get some unique things like the Ensnare Dragonhawk with broken attack damage at the very least.
Haha fair enough, I was going for a "elves OR Human/Dwarves" tech split but I think maybe the extra building is too much and I should simply use the Barracks
Why no Gyrocopters?
I had plans. I hate Gyro's personally but if the first comment includes them I have no reason to keep them out lmao.
Siege Engine ... I wonder how useful this unit within this setting.
It was supposed to be switched to "Steam Tank" and show that it does normal damage, I'll do that.
Undead gold mine are bugged. Their golds are not increased like human or orc mines. I do not have Night Elves on my run, so I cannot check that. I'd rather have the gold set to absurd values instead of triggering the increase.
Yeah this is totally broken, I probably didn't mention Haunted Gold Mines in the conditions, thank you for pointing it out.
Regarding the slow game, it might also be compounded with the delay between attacks, the reprieve part. Players do not have much incentive to go out and risk their armies outside of base perimeter.
True, this is a fundamental flaw in the way I designed it, I've been brainstorming off and on about how to spice it up.
Oh yeah, that reminds me, WHY THE LEVELLING EXTREMELY SLOW!? Even Arthas levels up faster in Symphony of Frost and Flame than this, and he needs 8 levels there.
Haha fair, i wasn't sure if it would feel exciting to get a level or annoying to wait so long. Annoying it is, I'll shift it to be more exciting. Guess there isn't really any reason to keep people from the level max for super long. Strong heroes are fun to use.
I noticed an update Yesterday. I think I might've played the first release.
Maybe, maybe not, I've updated it several times and simply wanted to get it feeling somewhat playable and enjoyable, I will continue to do so with this information thank you.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Footelf is the same as the Footman. Animal War Training upgrade is not a shared as there are two. Archer is already a unit of the night elf.
  2. The Ranger can be summoned again and again. Same: Druid of Secrets.
  3. Dawnhowl=Feral Spirit.
  4. Enemy units are created and instead of being ordered when they should leave to attack, they are first instantly moved a bit down and then ordered. They also appear out of thin air.
  5. Feels weird you're fighting usual creeps rather than some special Forgotten One related ones.
  6. No other Tavern heroes.
Generally, very simple material, custom units and heroes being a mix of already existing ones than new stuff. I'd play Monolith over this one any day.
Approved, with caution, meaning hope it gets updated with more creative and fun things.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/