• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #31: Theme & Format Discussion!

Which model should get a reskin?

• Classic (SD)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Reforged (HD)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Custom Made

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh boy, HD is impossible to work around. to much textures to edit, to hard to understand sadly, let's stick to classique. Unless we find model easy to texture and we challenge players to do something different for that specific model.

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Reforged texturing should actually be quicker and easier than standard - if you have the right software ;)

I still don't actually have a copy of Reforged (crazy, huh??) but if I get a chance over Xmas, I'll give it a go and try out modding tetures with Substance Painter (possibly also the free ones like Quixel Mixer or Armor Paint). Like always, it's just about being able to convert the files to something useable, so if anyone's already got that worked out I'm all ears xD

I voted for Custom models since there's some fun variety - we've been working with the same standard models for nearly twenty years.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Anyhow, I'm definitely up for another texturing contest, SD of course.
Awesome Prince! Glad to hear that :peasant-thumbs-up-cheers:

I still don't actually have a copy of Reforged (crazy, huh??) but if I get a chance over Xmas, I'll give it a go and try out modding tetures with Substance Painter (possibly also the free ones like Quixel Mixer or Armor Paint). Like always, it's just about being able to convert the files to something useable, so if anyone's already got that worked out I'm all ears xD
A.R.! Nice to see you again! :D Ahh, looks like here is one who is eager to take on a challenge! I would love to see a HD Texture Contest, but I fear that's somewhere out in the future for now.
I voted for Custom models since there's some fun variety - we've been working with the same standard models for nearly twenty years.
Awesome dude! I hope you'll join! I'm on Custom Made too, because:

I suggest an open theme such as ''Death Knights vs Paladins''. Turn custom model into its death knight or paladin version.
Nice. We've had the like of this theme for icon contest. It'd be good for texturing as well.
Reforged texturing should actually be quicker and easier than standard - if you have the right software ;)
Hm.. heard about substance painter before, but never thought it'd be easier than classic texturing. xD I'm eager to try it out.

Level 32
smashed the door
I'm here for revival, Grey man.

I be the judge for that one for the sake of revival not only this contest and the entire skin secton. Please, even I don't like seeing myself as a monopoly of the field in modern day.

Gentleman, I want to see your glory again in texturing so I willingly push it for bigger people.

Level 32
Oops, can't believe it's been more than 2 years since we spoke about this. I hope we have another texturing contest soon.
I guess we should start finding custom model to hype people up.
Maybe something that give room for interesting theme, you could pull many direction for many execution.
Or
Go against the poll and we go back simple theme and classic model.

Level 32
Not sure...

The thing is, we have so few texturers present to compete with, maybe even none right now except you or some like Arowanna & ...
There's no fun in winning effortlessly. But I hope those few participate if there's any texturing contest soon.
That's the thing. We can't see them right now without our Director or Arena Moderator light up the beacon. (I meant put something in main page)

When the merch contest was created, people who have no experience about merch stuffs decide to give it a try to compete anyway because we waited for competition too long since the day Concept Art Contest died.

Win or Not, YOU (pointing at the viewer) can make a new fire for it. This contest should not have been burried 2 years ago because lack of people to join.

The other part is the judge themselves since they are important part of a contest since only them can make it functional. I am willingly volunteer to be one for our community because I have the ball and the chutzpah to know what i'm doing and how I gotta examinate people works and efforts.

If you feel like one, maybe you will try to take my chair.

Level 32
Now I spend sometime to gather up couple of themes and model that you might interested in:

Custom Model Recommendation: (Any Theme or Specific Theme)
StefanK's Footman Hero
HerrDave's Sauron The Deceiver
Murlocologist's Spartan Warrior
Kuhneghetz's Barbarian
Explobomb's Genesaur
Dionesiist's Fiend
Metherion's Dark Soul Ornstein
PROXY's Sunken City Death Knight
Sellenisko's Gronn V.4
Fingoifin's Marauder
HappyTauren's Diablo III: King Leoric
Republicola's Ninja
Gluma's Lizardman Archer
Hantoo's Murloc Fisherman
Burning_Dragon5's Carnifex
More model may added.

Classic theme Recommendation: (Classic Only)
Berserker/Rage: Turning any units into a wrathful/feral being, they must look like they have nothing to lose and give in to their demon.
Lich King's Pawn: Making a unit to serve the Lich King. They can be a death knight or a unit under influence by the Lich King.
Draconic: A unit being influnced by the dragon. Cannot used any Dragon Model (exception to Dragonspawn).
Transformation: Make any 2 skin for a model that can morph into another texture.
Timmy's Revenge: Turn any unit into Timmy the child. (joke theme)

Classic Model Recommendation:
(Anytheme or specific theme for that model only)
Hydra
Scorpion
Wildkin
Thunderlizard
Keeper Of The Grove
Druid Of The Claw
Faerie Dragon
WyvernRider
Grunt

I'll need to keep my eye on this. I think Death Knight vs Paladin's is a cool concept. If I was being biased I would argue for a theme of "Re-Classic" pick any SD model and texture it so it can serve as an SD version of an HD model. Shido's suggestions are also good.

HD texturing I think will be outside of the scope of contests for the foreseeable unless an even/easy playing field can be established for people in terms of tools and accessibility.

Level 32
Previous Contest: (Courtesy of Heinver)
I would like to bring a board from the last Texturing Contest experience that what should be improve to get more people join in the contest.

According to the poll, Custom Model won but only by one vote ahead of classic so I believe this time we should pick a theme and anyone can use classic and custom model in their entry.

It's not unanimously enough to actually go with custom model exclusive. Also this raise difficulty for newcomer which is not ideal with how long this contest has left the dust.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Btw should it be a specific custom model? Or free choice?

I would suggest something like giving this a new texture:

Btw should it be a specific custom model? Or free choice?

I would suggest something like giving this a new texture:

I think free choice, the more choice in certain regards allows for better, more creative entries. Constraints via theme, whilst freedom in choice is imo the way to bring out the best creativity in people. That balance of limitations and options or "Options within limitations".