• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

💬 Texturing Contest #33: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
As our latest texturing contest draws to a close, we're thrilled to announce that our next texturing contest is in the works, and we're eager to hear your suggestions!

We are currently seeking ideas for the contest theme, and we encourage you to unleash your creativity and think outside the box. No idea is too small or too big, and we welcome contributions from both experienced texturers and newcomers to help us create a challenging and rewarding contest that inspires our community to create exceptional art.

Please take this opportunity to share your ideas in this discussion thread. We will carefully review all suggestions before narrowing them down.

As always, your input and creativity mean a lot to us, as they will play a crucial role in shaping an engaging and thrilling contest for our community. We're excited to see what you come up with!

Suggested themes so far (Updated October 7, 2023)
  • Insects
  • Treason
  • Halloween / horror theme
  • ground textures / tilesets
  • Custom made model
  • Amphibian - give a unit an amphibious look
  • Freezing - turn a unit into an aspect of cold and ice.
  • The Void - make a unit embrace the shadows and become an aspect of the Void.
  • Dualism - make a unit's appearance represent two different races (for instance, half-Dragon or half-Orc).
  • A peaceful NPC - transform a unit into a merchant/smith/treasurer/bard/sailor etc.
  • Kul Tiras
  • Khajiit

@Moy @Vinz @PrinceYaser @Draktar @Darkfang @Shido @TheZodiarch @ZethHolyblade @Footman16 @aeman @Mouseketeer @A.R. @Arowanna @Maxwell

Here are the themes we've had for prior texturing contests:

Texturing Contest #1 Footman
Texturing Contest #2 Racial Conversion
Texturing Contest #3 Demonic Units
Texturing Contest #4 Chaos Warrior
Texturing Contest #5 Halloween
Texturing Contest #6 Northrend/Icecrown
Texturing Contest #7 Holy/Angelic
Texturing Contest #8 Fiery Demonic/Fire
Texturing Contest #9 Arcane
Texturing Contest #10 Opposite
Texturing Contest #11 Archimonde
Texturing Contest #12 Naga
Texturing Contest #13 Dionesiist's Model
Texturing Contest #14 Futuristic
Texturing Contest #15 Nature
Texturing Contest #16 Buildings
Texturing Contest #17 User Interface
Texturing Contest #18 Golem
Texturing Contest #19 Melee Heroes
Texturing Contest #20 Custom Models
Texturing Contest #21 Creep Warlord
Texturing Contest #22 Troll
Texturing Contest #23 Dark Entities/Revenants
Texturing Contest #24 Diablo
Texturing Contest #25 Drow
Texturing Contest #26 Gothic
Texturing Contest #27 Mechanize/Curse of Flesh
Texturing Contest #28 - Swamp Dwellers
Texturing Contest #29 - Old Gods
Texturing Contest #30 - Mythological Characters
Texturing Contest #31 - Repurposing (Custom-Made Model)
Texturing Contest #32 - Final Form

Last edited:
Level 32
Well, given that we are open in discussion. Let's talk about the fact that the judge system is in need of blessing. I know we end up having you fill in a seat was a saving grace but would not over do this because eredar man is a busy man.

This one is still on debate so it's up to you whether you can improve the judge system.

Personally, I would love to have an interest on Insects based unit theme. Yes, it's a bit of a gross theme and also the fact I have fear of roaches but this is probably new if you would let the unit manifest to control or tame the insects. The difficulty would not be this hard as you can based on IRL insect too.

Alternatively, you can go for Treason theme. What this theme is that you take a unit originally from that race to aganist it by becoming other race. It's a philosophical theme but given how an appearance can make unit a game changer in plots.

I let other people know what theme they can come up.

Jokes aside not sure I'll be able to compete if there's another one as I have now started a PhD! Maybe I could judge since reviewing to me is a lot faster than texturing :)

In terms of theme, I'll need to think a bit more about it and what could be interesting.

Robotization - turn a unit into a cyborg, robot or other mechanical creature. I'm blind :(
Matrix.png
Amphibian - give a unit an amphibious look.
Freezing - turn a unit into an aspect of cold and ice.
The Void - make a unit embrace the shadows and become an aspect of the Void.
Dualism - make a unit's appearance represent two different races (for instance, half-Dragon or half-Orc).
A peaceful NPC - transform a unit into a merchant/smith/treasurer/bard/sailor ect.

Level 32
Halloween / horror theme, anyone? :p
Halloween theme would be too late as purpose it now won't make it in time.

Also last contest they rush it after like a week end of previous contest so no, just have fun in halloween instead of working on halloween. I'm more purpose the fact this contest should open in November, good duration to near end of the year so you can wrap it up.

Level 11
I hope this contest can be themed about ground textures. There are relatively few tiles in the skin section, and the ones I've seen are a bit lacking, save for a few exceptions. And I know great quality comes out of texturing competitions everytime. Yearning to see the beauty that could come out of this.
Actually not a bad idea :D

Halloween theme would be too late as purpose it now won't make it in time.
It's also about the journey, not just the destination.

just have fun in halloween instead of working on halloween.
The contest is usually for people who have fun making textures.

If I had to vote for a theme, I would be selfish and vote for a Kul Tiras theme. Not necessarily the Kingdom, although that could be an option, but pick something related to the islands of Kul Tiras, for example you have the Kthir I think they're called and the witches and all kinds of Kul Tiras related stuff.

That orrr... now here's one: WoW theme, as in pick a character or person from WoW and re-create them as a Warcraft 3 texture.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Alright, thanks everyone for your input! These are the themes suggested so far:

• Insects
  • Treason
  • Halloween / horror theme
  • ground textures / tilesets
  • Custom made model
  • Amphibian - give a unit an amphibious look
  • Freezing - turn a unit into an aspect of cold and ice.
  • The Void - make a unit embrace the shadows and become an aspect of the Void.
  • Dualism - make a unit's appearance represent two different races (for instance, half-Dragon or half-Orc).
  • A peaceful NPC - transform a unit into a merchant/smith/treasurer/bard/sailor etc.
  • Kul Tiras
  • Khajiit

Level 11
I saw from the previous lists of competition themes that Naga had already been used, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see the Amphibian theme. I already feel like a thousand good and interesting ideas could be build from this theme. The Void is also a very interesting choice, because it forces people to potentially think outside the box, since the outright approach would be "dark, shadowy, smoke, purple etc".

Level 14
My vote would be for treason/traitor because it's a bit left field. And same for peaceful/civilian npcs.

I think amphibious and insect etc are pretty well covered, been done enough, however they would probably be easier than traitor or civilian if you can only edit the texture.
I think a cool idea would be a sylvanas banshee possessed ogre, but most of the cool elements would require modelling :(

how many models could even be turned into a civilian?

Level 32
Personnally I love peaceful NPC because all maps need merchants or quest givers.
True, not much skin design to them unless you count me from The Nukemaster

I would vote for that theme tho, it's pretty unique that you can play around. Since last time we are limit to SD originals, i have no problem for peaceful NPC to be both option (classic and custom as long the custom is made before the contest). I think the theme is not that hard and welcome for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.