• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #11 - Battlefields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
You need more forces :D It's a battlefield after all!

I agree.
MOAR UNITS TEW COME.

2r3ulav.jpg

Level 12
AyeKantSpel & Debode, LOL my bad! XD Fixed my post. :p
Skycraft, The rain is too heavy in my opinion, and in contrast to Adiktuz I like this camera angle. However it has to be tilted or panned a little to the left since the area of the second bandit isn't too interesting, but there needs to be some piece of him to be seen behind the first bandit so that he wouldn't be alone in that fight. :O As for the slope where the bandits are coming from it's boring as well, I'd suggest more texture variation and even a bit of environmental doodads.
Also there's a GIGANTIC rock near the houses and people like me don't have any idea what the hell is it doing there. In addition to that I suggest to make the farms larger so that it would be more realistic (and if not, more comfortable to the eye), something I can say for the paths themselves and the props in the main fight... It all looks too small and misproportunized for some reason.
And are those footmen burning?! If the weeds are supposed to be burning (for whatever reason) make the fire smaller and more exclusive to them.
This terrain has a lot of potential in my opinion, but there is work to be done before that potential will be fully revealed.

Level 17
It shall be complete when I find time in my 'oh so busy life' to do so! Don't you worry!
Thanks for feedback.. o.o

Edit: Adiktuz, those are some crazy elementals.
However - the terrain.. looks.. empty and scratched.
I mean to say that those crop-looking things going down the hill, just look ugly imo.
But I don't know, I'll see how you play this out. ;]

Level 17
But it's Warcraft land, logic is not required ;D

Edit: You may want to hide your beauty.
Nice and neat for a first WIP, I hope to see more awesome potential bloom out of it.

Level 12
If you had bothered to look at other entries you'd have seen that each one of them includes at least one unit... The minimum requirement by the rules is two, one against another.
@tleno: Awesome buildings, but if you'll look in the middle you'll see that the sky cuts in quite roughly. Doodads and units that you could insert will probably make the transition much smoother.

Level 5
Ooh! Ooh! Is it too late to join in? Well, I hope it isn't!
My theme is going to be about Kobolds and Golems, a war in a cavern just below the surface.
I don't know how to do hidden tags, so I'll just attach it, I guess!

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 139
Level 6
well, i have started on a map, if i use it as an entry or not is undecided, but now my questions are: 1* this contest is based on pictures, right? i just show pictures of my terrain, and if lucky i win? 2* if yes on the first one: then i could make an cinematic, and take screenshots from, let's say, a battle?

Level 7
well, i have started on a map, if i use it as an entry or not is undecided, but now my questions are: 1* this contest is based on pictures, right? i just show pictures of my terrain, and if lucky i win? 2* if yes on the first one: then i could make an cinematic, and take screenshots from, let's say, a battle?

Yes, the contest is based on the picture of before, during, or after a battle, you can make a cinematic if you plan on taking a screen shot in the battle to post as your submission, cinematics themselves, however, are not allowed.

Well I hope you do -Kobas- I'd like to see more people taking part in this!

Edit: Here's what I've got thus far...Submission.jpg

Last edited:
Level 17
@WillOfKhrone, looks veryveryveryvery simple.
Do a little bit more, but I can't wait to see more from you and how you improve ;]
The idea DOES have potential if you play it out right and to what you think looks the best.

@AyeKantSpel, that does look awesome but those small rocks in the water are kinda offsetting imo. However the grass does look nicely manipulated.
Can't wait to see how you play this out man! :)

Level 7
@Skycraft and InfinateAnswers, yeah, I just noticed that and it's a bad angle for the human skeleton, he's basically a shield there, haha, will hop right on that and give the terrain a bit of a touch up, as well as swivel the camera around and add a few cameras to the battle in the background to get some images of that.

Level 7
Well the rocks are meant to be under the grass, kinda like the edge of the water, though they might need a resizing and I may have to choose a different varriation or a new model that doesn't have the little rocks, so that way it looks like the water is at the rock, mirroring it off first, then the units because they are at an elevation that is the 'top' of the rocks and so on and so forth, though the darkness doesn't provide too good of a reflection, might switch the rain out and the storm sphere to just clouds.

Well the rocks are meant to be under the grass, kinda like the edge of the water, though they might need a resizing and I may have to choose a different varriation or a new model that doesn't have the little rocks, so that way it looks like the water is at the rock, mirroring it off first, then the units because they are at an elevation that is the 'top' of the rocks and so on and so forth, though the darkness doesn't provide too good of a reflection, might switch the rain out and the storm sphere to just clouds.

you can remove those little rocks on Magos... ^_^

and maybe also add a glow to the moon...

158769-albums4169-picture39920.jpg

Level 7
you can remove those little rocks on Magos... ^_^

and maybe also add a glow to the moon...

158769-albums4169-picture39920.jpg

Not entirely sure how to make magos work, still trying to figure that one out.

The moon :xxd: it's part of the time piece, it would appear that I was careless in my cropping, lol.

Very nice Adiktuz, I don't see any arrows from the archers though! Lol, love the special effects.

Not entirely sure how to make magos work, still trying to figure that one out.

The moon :xxd: it's part of the time piece, it would appear that I was careless in my cropping, lol.

Very nice Adiktuz, I don't see any arrows from the archers though! Lol, love the special effects.

This is the method I used for one of the variations of the rock model (I used it to make the rocks on my WIP, removed the smaller rocks and then replaced texture)
-use the mpq browser of Magos to find the rock model then open it...
-go to model editor and then on the part where you see a squarish part, click on two of the vertices of the square then delete them, then repeat for the other two vertices, it would do the job...
-then save it and import...

anyway, very cool idea (looks like the curse of the black pearl) ^_^

I was still thinking if I would actually add the arrows flying or stay at the impression that they the shot was taken before they release the arrows... I'll try to add them first, and see if it would look fine... ^_^

@IA - they were fighting ancient elementals... and yes, that was milenium shield from yugioh, made by Chilla...

Level 5
Redid it completely with the information some of you guys gave me.

Still the same theme, different settting, though. The kobolds were celebrating there profits around the small hotspring, (and throwing candles in the air and doing barrel rolls...) when they distrurb a ancient temple. The golem guardians awaken, and battle insues!

Attachments

• WIP2.jpg
    WIP2.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 193
Level 7
Very nice WillofKhrone, that is good, maybe add like a light from above or some kind of light source (torches, etc) the fog isn't a bad touch, maybe adding the 'Glow' model from UTM instead and the blue light (UTM 3.0 I do believe) for the blue fog effect.

Level 17
I still have to do some things, but here is another WIP. Yeah I forgot about the rock too >_< Lol

w8asys.jpg

Edit: Fixed New WIP
n2gygx.jpg

I'm going to add more to front to make it seem more 'forest-like' then add a few other things around the surrounding area.. may get rid of that front tree too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.