• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special Effect Contest #4 - Path to Mastery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Reteraing, it occurred to me with my flashy green orb things that it might be too difficult to out-flash the other skilled makers of flashy effects.
For that reason, I was thinking, what if I go back to the drawing board and make something aiming for "elegantly" simple but which would still have utility.

For that, I made Level 1 and Level 3 of a model based on the idea of Light Arrows from Zelda, but I haven't worked out Level 2 and I'm undecided whether I actually wish to switch entirely to this "elegantly simple" idea. So these are still just WIPs.

Now, someone might tell me, "But Retera, this is incredibly lazy work you have done. The first model is simply a Faerie Dragon attack art merged onto an arrow, and the second one is the Holy Bolt hidden model merged onto an arrow combined with a yellow version of the Neutral Building Explosion model."
To that I say, I wrote the one-click model merge solution, so I should be allowed to use it! :p
I still remember a day when this kind of model merging would have taken time and effort.

Edit: I combined the light arrows and the fel orb, since a few people told me the fel orb was cool, and made some mediocre but interesting fel arrows:

Therefore this edited upload is my submission unless I return back to add more, because I must go to sleep. Best of luck for all!

Attachments

• FelArrow1.mdx
    12.3 KB · Views: 60
  • FelArrow2.mdx
    27.2 KB · Views: 53
  • FelArrow3.mdx
    12.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Level 4
Such a shame. I was looking forward to a yuge fiery tornado. Hope you had a good time at Blizzcon, at least!
I think I won't have a qualifying entry too I'm sorry, classes resumed and arts and design's pretty oof

Okay 3 minutes to go, I'm on my phone, and I uploaded the model with my phone.
Fel Arrows

Unfortunately you can tell the screenshots are phone screenshots but it's probably OK. Also, ignore how I uploaded Shiva BLP from my other past project over and over alongside the resource. Do not count that as part of my entry, the Hive website was failing to parse the MDX800 format and demanded nonsense textures so I gave it Shiva.

Status
Not open for further replies.