• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scourge of Lordaeron - RPG - Test

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
First level from Scourge of Lordaeron modified to RPG based on King's Bounty The Legend playstyle.
Contents

Scourge of Lordaeron - RPG - Test (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Please improve the map thread description, adding some screenshots too. The loading screen is in Deutsch. Note that stuff has to be in English first. Multilingualism is allowed. Actually, everything seems to be non-English, except for the newly...
Level 20
The idea is definitely original and the implementation is quite well done.
If you're feeling up to it, I definitely say you should make more of it. This type of gameplay with many more types of units is sure to get interesting.

A few issues/possible improvements I noted :
  • The campaign appeared in german instead of english for me (it's no problem for a WIP, just thought I'd mention it in case that's not supposed to happen)
  • The gold amounts are weirdly high and it makes it kind of hard to realize how much money you've got or how much something costs. I feel like they could all be divided by 100 so it is easier to manage.
  • The first two footmen you get seem to only register on your food count once you buy a unit (you get from 8 food to 13 food with one unit bought)
  • The AI seems to heavily prioritize weaker units. I think micro would be more rewarding if it was possible to manipulate who they attack (so that you could have the footmen tank hits instead of the enemy always targeting militias, bandits and gnolls)
  • The bracer of agility's description says it gives +1 agility when it gives +2 in practice.
  • It would be nice if the enemy corresponded more to the kind of enemy you attack (I've once attacked a spearthrower bandit whose army was mostly composed of melee bandits)
  • I think enemy bosses like the slavemaster or the named bandits should appear on the battlefield to make their fight a bit more unique.
  • I think the hero should get a lot more base movement speed and attack speed. It won't impact battles but it'll make travelling the world and breaking crates less tedious.
  • Finally, the arena is nice but you don't really get to use it except for the central path. Maybe you could get enemies that take different routes or stay on the defensive ? (not necessarily in this level but in general)
  • Just an idea for future levels : maybe make consumables that could be used in battle (to heal/buff your army or a specific unit)
Overall, the idea shows a lot of promise. With more units in future missions, there could really be great strategic choices.

Level 4
Me likey but..
-Area where we can manage our warband and see our units
-Change it from german to english or add an option to shift between them idk
-Maybe add a second arena in the first map and depending how big a chapter in the campaign add more
-Different units providing different styles. Currently the bandits, gnolls and militia are useless
-Make big enemy bosses use abilities as well

Level 4
i like the idea of this campaign a lot i think it needs a quick way to access unit shop it is not very pleasant to run around the entire map to buy units

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Please improve the map thread description, adding some screenshots too.

1. The loading screen is in Deutsch. Note that stuff has to be in English first. Multilingualism is allowed.
  2. Actually, everything seems to be non-English, except for the newly added explanations.
  3. If you cast a spell before/outside a battle, your mana doesn't reset to full when the battle starts.
  4. Not sure how balanced the gameplay is. Seems like if you don't buy the proper units the first time and lose enough in the first battle, afterwards you are pretty much dead due to lack of funds. Buying items over units doesn't seem to be a good idea at least early on.
  5. There are trolls in this chapter. I guess it's not lore friendly? You could for instance put Orc Spearthrowers instead or something.
  6. A nuisance, especially on bigger maps is the fact that you have to move around after each battle to buy units or items from various places on the map. You could make one place for all these on some corner of the maps.
  7. Another, maybe minor (depending on the distance situation) is having to leave items somewhere on the map to get quest ones to then get back to get the left ones. This could be solved my making all quest items into variables/boleans.
  8. The arena is always the same, not really offering any strategical advantage or disadvantage.
  9. There seems to be no special/unique (boss) units, just the regular ones. Where for instance is Mathog during the battle?

It's a nice concept but at this stage, it's Simple. The gameplay is still pretty much Warcraft III, abilities, gameplay mechanics and all and foremost, it's an edit of an original work. More chapters would be needed for approval.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Last edited:
Level 12
Funky campaign you got here, i think this is the second time i play this kind of map/campaign, there was another one i played called The Legend of Magnador with this kind of similar type of fights, what can i say, i enjoyed playing it, not sure i am a fan of the hero not taking part of the fights tho, only staying on the hill and using just his spells is kinda lame in my opinion.

I liked how we could buy different types of units for the army, that was cool.

Not sure what the items are for also, since the hero isn't taking part in the fights, so the only items that aren't useless are the int ones since they give mana for the hero to use more spells during the fights.

I suggest to give the Legend of Magnador a shot, you can learn a lot from that campaign since its in similar style!

This project has lots of potential, i hope you will keep working on it, Godspeed!

Last edited:
Level 2
Idea very interesting, but current difficulty level is a bit low: Mass shooter, and it's done. I first saw something new and then felt a little bored.

My suggestion is,
first, minimize the number of operable units, less than 24 or even less than 12;
second, design a reasonable gold and unit strength curve, so that players can slowly and selectively increase their strength