• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Legend of Magnador

This map was not made by me, i'm only 'spreading' the work of BlueEagle, the original creator. All the proper credits can be found in-game credits(Most of them is for himself though).

This is the last original version of the map, 1.04 . (Edit: I haven't altered this map in any way, this is the same map you get from the BlueEagle site: http://paulinthenet.de/war3maps.htm )

Features:

-Epic map, with lots of terrain types, from deserts to snow valleys
-Around 10h of gameplay
-Unique and dinamic inventory system - There you can swith party members, use runes to restore your health and/or mana, see a list of already open runed doors, upgrade your character's equipment, learn and upgrade your character's skills and forge yourself a vast list of equipments
-Unique battle system -characters and monsters fight in arena-like places, like Final Fantasy series
-Unique Upgrade system -Earn Combat Points through completing quests, buying upgrades at the blacksmith/magic shop or by defeating bosses, then spend them on your weapon, armor, combat skill or magic skills
-Unique forge system -After a certain quest, you will be able to use the mini-forge on your inventory to create a huge amount of customized equipments (This is the only way to obtain most part of the equipments)
-7 heros to choose from, plus a secret hero, up to 3 heros in the party
-Lots of Main quests and Side Quests
-Lots of cinematics (Esc to skip)

Each Character features:

-Max Level: 30
-Upgradeable Weapons and Armor: Max Level: 5
-Upgradeable Combat Skill: Max Level: 3
-4 Learneable and Upgradeable Magic Skills: Max Level :4

Unlocking the Secret Hero:

I'll will not directly tell how, but i'll give 3 hints, more than enough to figure out yourself.

1.Must be done after getting the Red Orb, but before giving to Gorwin
2.To unlock him, use the comand "Arise"
3.Must be done inside Feria's walls

Forge Guide

I made this from another guide. Not all of them are confirmed, but most of them were confirmed by me. Anything wrong with this game, please send a pm so i can fix it. It was made like this (i didn't included the "Unprocessed" equipments because it's pretty obvious):

Item Name/ Bonus #1/ Bonus #2/ Bonus #3/ Bonus #4/ Component #1/ Component #2

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4458/magnadorforgeguide.png

Bugs and other issues:

-I would love to fix some of them, but i know nothing about creating and editing maps on Map Editor, also i would need BlueEagle permission to do so. I only know how to play XD

-All Heros have Inventory Skill. When used by a particular hero, all heros will be transported to the inventory; after exiting it, all of them will be together with the caster. This can be used to "Teleport"; specially Ethan; between areas if used correctely, useful if you need to go back and forth. Notice also that engaging in battles have the same effect.

-The Teleport system, not the bug , is quite innefective; there is only a few of them, and except for one or two, the rest are not in effective locations.

-If you are using the "Reveal Map Cheat", cinematics will bug them; the map will be revealed, but the the environment will be with the fog. Simply deactivate and activate again to fix.

-Secret Character skill Cure can be used on himself even though the description says it can't.

-You can keep the Scepter of Gods after getting it on Everglade by having the Secret Character on your party instead of Fiona. (Not sure to be this way, since it happened to me once)

Keywords:
Legend, Magnador, Ethan, BlueEagle
Contents

The Legend of Magnador (Map)

Reviews
19:29, 3rd Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Date: 2011/Oct/15 11:36:02 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status: Approved Rating: 4/5 Recommended Rep Received: 0Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions directed towards a moderator, make a...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A real time old type turn based JRPG.

-lame man, starting with the credits...
-how do they know they're not real? How are they aware of that?
-quest description should be more explicit; where to go etc.
-all heroes on agility?
-"I don't want something bad to happen to Fiona". Well, he fell in love with her again or something? He wasn't supposed to remember her. Why act so.. protective?
-shouldn't Ethan have 1v1-ed the necromancer?
-the enemy heroes don't have minions of their own when attacking the tauren; they're normal creeps
-meh, how do they even enter this place? Are they asleep in the real world? Who feeds them etc.?
-remove Avoid in battles and even just before them as it may be pressed and does nothing
-the new heroes should level up as well while on stand by; it's a waste of time to start them off from level 1 and have to switch them...
-so, if only Lord Thoridaz can teleport somebody out, how did Ethan get out or where was he?
-with so many heroes appearing, none of them a traitor?
-are creep groups supposed to be following in the city? Silenzium
-faster transport?
-how did they capture the big toro?
-why run? Didn't he have the almighty hammer?
-why should the last time with Mog be more challenging? Isn't the scepter's destruction supposed to reduce their powers, grow Ethan's or at least leave them all as they were?
-Snow Demons in the desert
-why would the enemy heroes fight separately?
-and, why would they not be able to return again?
-Lord Vernon not having chaos damage and attacking slow while Adera very fast plus her slow arrows and chaos damage? Oh, and invulnerability?
-battling your own consciousness eh?
-at least Lord Thoridaz doesn't looke like a giant in battle; oh wait...
-credits at the end, again?
-cliffhanger

4/5.

Level 3
After playing this map even more I've decided to rewrite my feedback post.

Language
The English is passable, but they all talk too much like modern teenagers. Especially with them constantly saying "guys". Also, there's some fourth wall breaching. NPC's telling me a quest will give me spell points, really.

Plain protagonist
I first said he always acted like a paladin but then at other times he can murder in plain sight and try to bribe his way out of trouble. He can alter between chivalry and irritability, but he feels plain no matter what he does. It always feels like whatever quest he runs into, he will always give a damn about it, but he just feels... fake, doing it. There are a few attitudes mixed in him but there's no greyzone between them. No nuance.

The plot also has potential. I think there was an interesting idea as basis for it. But the language and protagonist makes it hard to appreciate.

Constant encounters
This was previously a big complaint of mine but you never stop needing the gold and reagents they drop. Too, with crafted items they eventually become easier. I also hadn't noticed you could lower the mob density when I first posted. For good or bad, you can't just turn on godmode and have your hero patrol the map for gold/xp/loot, as combat is a bit Final Fantasy inspired: You will be teleported to a special combat area when you encounter monsters, and you will not even spawn in their aggro range. I don't mind it - but it's not "bot friendly".

Items and economy
The ability to craft items is introduced as a side quest. If you don't do it, you can still use the tutorial to learn how it works, but nobody will sell you unenchanted items to use until you do the quest. And if you advance the main quest too far, this side quest fails because the NPC dies or something. And then you are left without any items except consumables, which will probably heavily influence what you think of this map.

Gold remains scarce throughout the game, or rather, you always have to decide what to spend it on. This is good! I don't buy consumables, but there's still tokens for combat/spell points and reagents for crafting. I didn't manage to run out of things to buy without deliberately avoiding the last boss just to farm more. And I could beat him, so I didn't need to.

It would be nice however, if there was some black market where you could buy the drop-reagents, because farming them is neither fast nor reliable. Let's say you can beat two trash encounters per minute, and there's maybe 25% chance they drop a reagent, and then there are ten to choose between...

Character advancement
You improve your abilities through spell points and your attack/armor through combat points. When you consume an item that grants either, all party members, be they active, benched or not yet discovered will gain the points too. They also seem to automatically keep up with the protagonist's experience. This is all good design.

Downtime
There was some thought involved here, but the "hidden" party member just makes it a boring exercise in swapping. If you run out of charges on your health/mana runes you can just swap him in and have him restore everyone's health and mana. By the time your healer gets a Brilliance Aura item there's no downtime anymore as your party can just kill enemies with cheap/no spells and the only real mana expenditure is heals. There was thought behind it all, but at some point you feel it would have been better if the group always healed to full between battles.

Also speaking of runes, I wish that when you touched a stone when the respective rune was full it would just use a charge on you instead of destroying the stone with no effect.

Balance
So I've done pretty much everything, max level, crafted everything yada yada. There isn't much variety to be had. Let's go over the heroes.

Ethan
He scales really well, he's a single target beast, and he has some utility. I feel however that you kinda want the tank/healer/DPS setup for most of the game, and he cannot fill the tank role for most part. At level 30 with awesome gear he can just lifesteal tank since the level 30 trash pack doesn't disrupt the party at all (no stuns, curses or slows). However at that point you still won't want to swap the setup. Read on...

Zeno
Has some tank capability, but really only there until you can get Borok. Don't see much use for his CC or nuke.

Fiona
If Ethan is THE carry (and he is), Fiona is THE support. She can heal, she can cast mass Inner Fire, she can reduce enemy armor. The AI is also pretty basic (even if the mobs have abilities and stuff) and will just attack whatever you throw in their face, and since Fiona is ranged that's not gonna be her, so you don't really need to worry about her dying 90% of the time. You can just cram her with support items that give auras or cast Roar. Her own damage output isn't amazing but she boosts Ethan so much and helps the tank so much.

Ramuel, Urugath, Cindra and BlueEagle
These are all casters and so their damage scales poorly. They have some utility through CC, slows and stuff but the damage of their spells just becomes unexciting as the game goes on, plus it's the whole matter of mana.

Borok
This guy is awesome to send into the fray. Hardened Skin, Pulverize, War Stomp, Avatar. He's a supreme tank and even when you get to 30 and Ethan has his quest weapon and whatnot I still use him, because who else. You could swap him out at that point but I don't see who would be worth swapping in.

So all in all it's Ethan/Zeno/Fiona until I get Borok, at which point Zeno takes a permanent vacation.

Secrets?
There are two things that have me digging for secrets. For one, the citizens of Sylenzium are attackable, even those with quests. I've killed them (not the questgivers), even with Ramuel who apparently thirsted for their blood, but nothing happened. Perhaps just an oversight.

Also there's a neutral orc warrior just east of Tamorhal. Never gotten any reactions out of him. He doesn't do hero damage so I don't believe I can recruit him.

Last edited:
Level 3
Crafting spreadsheet.

Use at your own peril. It's pretty tiresome to build that speadsheet, because different combos work in different playthroughs, but it seems there are a few recipe setups the game chooses from. All I can say is, these combos have all worked, but seeing as I've built that over the course of four playthroughs they probably aren't all part of the same family.

Corrupted saves make this a painful project, and retroactively corrupted saves even more so.

Last edited:
Level 23
One of the best single map rpgs on hive. This is the kind of map that you must beat and not stop half way, because the story is so enticing that you will think about playing it 2-3 years after stopping midway, but then when you go back and play it, you will get tired of the repetitive fighting system because you have already completed half of the map already. You will then stop again, without completing it. And the cycle will continue. So yourself a favour and just beat it on the first attempt without quitting.

Level 1
How do you get the potion of eternal fire, seemed a bit stuck on it. Nearly finished the game and roamed the entire map but still can't find it

Level 12
Since this was not posted by the original creator, i am not gonna write a huge review or anything like that.

I just finished playing this map on the latest version of War3, it seems the map works fine on any version which is nice, i did test it.

Is a fun RPG, with a great story, the gameplay ain't on my liking but you get used to it eventually, considering how old this rpg is, i would say it felt pretty fresh playing it, so for all its negatives, this map is pretty much timeless in my eyes.

~Negatives:

- The fights can get boring after a while, especially when you just want to discover the map and finish quests, u have to always run into random fights which is bad, and you don't get anything from them in the late game, lvl 30 is max, gold is used for nothing but pots and the upgrades, so rip i guess, whosyourdaddy for the win :D (i did finish the map without using cheats, but after that i just wanted to explore a bit more and cheats are a must for that).

- The forge system..., what even, again i know this was one of the first and only forging systems ever made in this kind of war3 rpg maps, but damn is it bad, just putting random items in the forge until it works is super boring and annoying..

- And last bad thing is about the quests and sidequests, i simply could not finish most of them, i think i had like 5 sidequests unfinished before i finished the whole mainstory, and to be honest i just could not give a shit about finishing them after that because.. well... the map is done, the last boss is dead, so why bother...
Most quests don't give you any hints about how to solve them, it just says, o yea bring me etc item/random shit, and when you want to know where or how to get to those, the quest giver is like, oh yea there are somewhere on the map, good luck.... like really? this would have not been a huge problem for me IF... it wasn't for the fact that walking from point A to B takes you 10 minutes cuz of the constant random fights.. so yea.

- In terms of bugs/glitches i only found 1 in the entire map, goes to show you that the map maker did a good job with this. The bug is about the arena, if you die in the arena the game closes itself and it gives you some sort of error, this happened only on the latest versions of War3 i think.

~Positves:

- I liked the story, it was the only thing that kept me going, if it wasn't for the interesting story i would have quit a long time ago.

- The music was nice, it never got stale, even tho there weren't many song tracks, it was pretty good.

- The heroes and the whole hero system was unique, never seen this before, their spells were decent as well.

- The boss fights were nice, not too hard nor too easy, makes the player think of strategies of how to defeat the bosses.

Overall this rpg is a classic, and since i enjoyed playing it after such a long time is a testament of how good it was and how games don't have to be new to be enjoyed by people of any ages.

Last edited:
Level 2
I wanted to try playing the game, but when I try to play it it says that I need an opponent in order to start the game. There isn't an option to put a computer on another team and I'm clueless on how to do this. Pls send help T^T

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I wanted to try playing the game, but when I try to play it it says that I need an opponent in order to start the game. There isn't an option to put a computer on another team and I'm clueless on how to do this. Pls send help T^T
Weird. I'm using 1.30.4 and there's no other player than player 1.
The issue happens because you're trying to play it via Local Area Network rather than through Custom Games.

Level 2
Ohhh I see, I didn't know about the custom game option. Most games I played were through Local Area Network. It works when I try it on custom game now. Thank u for your help , much appreciated ^^

Level 5
Where did you download this version? I only access v 1.04.

Thanks !
Patch is on hive but i would rather you via GG to find it (i forgot): " W3 patch and installer hiveworkshop" and it up for you to find but you must have a key though. if you need short understand of how to play on patch 1.27b then you could ask me later.