• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 Volcanic template V2 & V3

Reactions: deepstrasz
Hello Everyone, I'm LordHatchet95, and I present you a Starcraft 2 Volcanic template, adapted to Warcraft 3. It's mainly based on planet Char, save all the terran machinery it's supposed to be, and specially based on SC2 quests like the one where Raynor has to pick up 8000 minerals and avoid lava... and zerg, one to mention.

Managed to pull something out finally, and after a few months of studying at college, playing and playing different videogames and chatting, and going out, and few time for mapping in WC3, got myself my first published (if approved) job done

I've done a poll about if uploading my work in progress here, got 1 yes, 0 no, and 2 depends but without stating any doubt or reason about "depends" :vw_death: *DED*... ok anyway, you can find the poll and a small preview down here:

[WC3] Starcraft 2 Volcanic Planet Environment Showcase (Opinions + Tutorial + Poll)

Any feedback about terraining, props and lighting is welcome. But don't talk about scripting since I have no idea about it... which is in fact why is within some "issues and decisions" section under the "quest" area, the map description, and the triggers editor, commented just in case.

Important note: This template is supposed to be a SC themed melee template. Anyone who wants to use it to mod it to SC2 feel free to do so, but please, credit me for making the map.

Added a V3 map with many changes made, and a bit of the most basic terran stuff to play with the map. THIS IS STILL A TEMPLATE, I just added the most basic stuff from Terran to get this to a better start.

Credits to:

• Starting points
  • Roads
  • Center Island
  • "High Yield Mineral" areas

Version: 1 (Still on BETA)

CHANGELOG:
V1 BETA
  • Released
V1.1 B
  • Heavily improved details at terraining
  • Completed the whole template
  • Added Dungeon stalagmites and some Rubbles fitting the terrain
V1.2
  • Changed blizzard tiles for custom ramps & rocks.
  • Fixed some pathing.
  • Filled map with some fitting flora and more rocks and fire.
V2
  • Changed blizzard tilesets for BW custom tilesets made by strydhaizer.
  • Changed plants and rocks in general to make them more befitting to the scenario.
V3 (separated testing map)
  • Massively reduced doodads and props spamming.
  • Made terrain less flat
  • Added Terran most basic units and defenses (now it became a "Marine Defense") with the purpose of testing the map.
Issues encountered now:
  • No Vespene/Lumber...
  • Very few units
  • Problems finding a decent triggering for lava rising/lowering
  • Problems finding decent lighting/fog
  • Gameplay itself...

IMPORTANT NOTE: this is only a template, it has NO FUNCTIONAL use so far, besides aesthetics and more improvement. You can use the map as long as you credit me for it (and the owners of the 3rd party resources used mentioned above).
Contents

SC2 Volcanic template (Map)

SC2 Volcanic template v3B (Map)

Reviews
nightelfbuilder
This terrain is more like a melee terrain cause of it's so symmetrical but that won't really be a problem since we are entitled to our own style of making terrains(would be really great for melee maps though) My issues with the terrain is: the tile...
deepstrasz
There are minor improvements. You should not spam same doodads so much. Those little magma rocks look too repetitive and unnatural on the ground. You could use more custom doodads instead for most part of your map: Toby Ruined Pack Starcraft 2...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Hello, you don't use all tags. It's Template, Space & Aliens works too, AoS might work if the map is intended to be a template for that. But you just don't have all of them there. After all, it's the user who decides what to use it for, so just Template (+Space & Aliens) would be best.

1. You should reduce the name length of the .w3x file. I cannot see it ingame unless I shorten the name.
2. Looks unfinished. Please do not upload works in progress in the Maps or any other resource section. Use this for maps under development: Map Development Some betas might make it but this isn't quite beta, it's more of a late alpha.

Awaiting Update.

======================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

To make your work run smoother, fix the so called leaks: Triggers - Memory Leaks and Custom Scripts

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!

so just Template (+Space & Aliens)

Will fix the unnecessary other tags

1. You should reduce the name length of the .w3x file.

Damn... never thought it would be an issue, on it

2. Looks unfinished.

It IS unfinished but not for long, on the way to complete it

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

I have some screenies but they're outdated, will bring actual ones (and future ones as long as they come)

A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource.

Well credits are EVERYWHERE, 3 users specifically, 2 from resources, 1 from feedback in terraining forum, put in description, put in quest log, hell even put in comments at trigger editor :vw_unimpressed: that one's done, even at map thread there's the ppl credited

It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources.

Oh... forgot about that... will update it with the links of the very few resources I used (no irony, being serious)

A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

I'll have to remember to do it otherwise I'll miss out the progress

To make your work run smoother, fix the so called leaks: Triggers - Memory Leaks and Custom Scripts

No scripts or triggers at all in the map, I only mentioned I need help about it, for, for example, lava rising/going down within intervals, but will consider the tutorial there

This terrain is more like a melee terrain cause of it's so symmetrical but that won't really be a problem since we are entitled to our own style of making terrains(would be really great for melee maps though)

My issues with the terrain is:
  • the tile just cuts suddenly at some part of the terrains especially the center which looks awkward maybe you could fix that by adding some doodads to give depth or make the edge not so even.
  • Too flat, you could enlarge some doodads or use more in some places to give depth to it.
  • The edges of the terrain itself is so even that it looks weird you could fix that by adding rock in a strategic way.
  • The crystals looks awkwardly placed
Well those are just my opinions. Happy mapping.

This terrain is more like a melee terrain cause of it's so symmetrical but that won't really be a problem since we are entitled to our own style of making terrains(would be really great for melee maps though)

My issues with the terrain is:
  • the tile just cuts suddenly at some part of the terrains especially the center which looks awkward maybe you could fix that by adding some doodads to give depth or make the edge not so even.
  • Too flat, you could enlarge some doodads or use more in some places to give depth to it.
  • The edges of the terrain itself is so even that it looks weird you could fix that by adding rock in a strategic way.
  • The crystals looks awkwardly placed
Well those are just my opinions. Happy mapping.
Updated, and tried to fix as many of the things said as I could... I can't make it less "flat" because is a SC2 themed melee map... Which will need triggering and stuff. Still thanks for the feedback! :ogre_haosis:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
There are minor improvements. You should not spam same doodads so much. Those little magma rocks look too repetitive and unnatural on the ground.

You could use more custom doodads instead for most part of your map:
Toby Ruined Pack
Starcraft 2 Conversion Pack
Tob`s Maps

A Guideline to Terraining and the Hive's Terraining Section

Play more with terrain height. Everything is so flat.

Although I'm approving this, it's not quite there yet.

(previous comments: SC2 Volcanic template V2)

UPDATED!

Made as much as I could so far, and decided to add a V3 map to compare it with V2... Keep in mind, even if I added playable units & structures, this is STILL a template. I added them (and properly credited them) the most basic terran units & structures for testing purposes (and due to having extra free time)