• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[WC3] Starcraft 2 Volcanic Planet Environment Showcase (Opinions + Tutorial + Poll)

Would you like this map uploaded and available as "Terrain/Template"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, LordHatchet95 here, and I want to show you a few stuff about this small terraining map I've been doing:

1. Base Terrain
SC2 Volcanic001.png

As you can see on the screenshot, the Base terrain palette being used is dungeon, since that one is way more fitting than outlands one. It has more volcanic stuff to add: Rocky terrain, Volcanic Cliffs, Red dirt, and more. Won't be needing grass or ice, or water, that's for sure on this specific kind of terrain.

2. Environment related doodads
SC2 Volcanic002.png

On a volcanic planet style you will need to use all related to it: Fire, Smoke, Crystals and mineral valuables, Bones (especially charred or burned ones), Ash and such. Since this map is SC based, it will have it's Crystals resources and Vespene Geysers like in SC2.

Crystal models: Uncle Fester
Vespene Geysers are clusters of existing models combined from Barrens, Outlands and Dungeon props and doodads.

3. Look alive, boys!
SC2 Volcanic003.png

Needed to say that like a SC marine. Well... Try to focus on the "Flora" and small details after you get the terraining done. If there are some places on volcanic areas with a little flowering, make it look twisted and appropiate by putting rare plants related to volcanic/hostile/alien like areas, like the outland ones, make a new smaller rubble doodad and spread them in a fair amount, and never put green or common plants.

4. Size matters
SC2 Volcanic004.png

If you get lost about scaling and you feel unconfortable using normal WC3 units, use the SC units that the WE already have and put a small group on the map to make scaling comparison. Bones on the right side look ok, and the big purple smoke fissure looks great on a planet. The custom Lava model was put in here for more realistic effect added with outland floating rocks, but floating on the lava at a set height.

Lava model: HappyTauren

5. Finishing touch
SC2 Volcanic005.png

If having doubts about how to make it look more volcanic and you still don't feel convinced, set a fog option, either thin or thick, has to be red, orange, purple or dark to fit the theme. Also you can set sky using Outland one, since that one looks more from "outer space" and "volcanic" at the same time.

If you have anything to share/add about the map, make sure tu let me know. I gave credits about the models I've used on this map, which are few being used.

Thank you for your support!

This is the results of some changes I've considered thanks to Wildfire and a moderator who saw my template on the link below:

SC2 Volcanic template

New Screenshots

Last edited:
Level 17
Hi there. Your terrain is really nice. The doodads used quite fit to the environment.

Here some feedbacks:
The terrain looks too flat and empty, maybe play with height variation and place more doodads.
I see there are quite spamming for lava rocks. Maybe can find other alternative to increase variation.
I see there is only 1 type of tile used? Try uses more tiles.
Avoid use of Blizzard cliff if possible (use rise tool to make mountain or cliff).

You are doing very well. Keep it up. :)

The terrain looks too flat and empty, maybe play with height variation and place more doodads.

Noticed, will try to put in more terrain variation, but try to make it look smooth on some areas and rough on other (volcanic area, remember).

I see there are quite spamming for lava rocks. Maybe can find other alternative to increase variation.

Should put those tiny lava rocks spam on the pit, and more "normal red rocks" on the upper levels (height wise), since lava rocks have this searing touch they have to be "nearer lava pit".

I see there is only 1 type of tile used? Try uses more tiles.

Same as first, but will use terrain palette variations on it, like more rocky spots or some lava cracks, or different dirt/lava spots. So far only using dungeon dirt and rocks on playable terrain, and outland abyss as NON playable, where lava pit is.

Avoid use of Blizzard cliff if possible (use rise tool to make mountain or cliff).

Will try, also planning on use that cliff but not visibly. Converting it to purely terrain ramps to make it look smooth and work custom cliffs on those using the MiscData modification. That way if this gets to be used as a playable map, the visibility and fog of war in-game will be affected on custom cliffs.

You are doing very well. Keep it up. :)

Thank you, it's one of my first projects, to be honest :thumbs_up:

well... being at vacation so... got a bit of time to do some stuff... like remaking cliffs area and experimenting with both blizzard cliffs and ramps (PURE RAMPS to make it better) and custom cliff to make it look a lot more realistic both as template and as in-game with the LOS, expect future screenshots renewing and a map with the full stuff (the one I promised back at october 15th ;_; but unfortunately I was still feeling not ready for it)

Level 17
well... being at vacation so... got a bit of time to do some stuff... like remaking cliffs area and experimenting with both blizzard cliffs and ramps (PURE RAMPS to make it better) and custom cliff to make it look a lot more realistic both as template and as in-game with the LOS, expect future screenshots renewing and a map with the full stuff (the one I promised back at october 15th ;_; but unfortunately I was still feeling not ready for it)
Looking forward for it ;)

For arrangement rocks and lava pit, here is the suggestion:

upload_2018-2-8_0-30-12.png

This is the terrain I had worked on

Status
Not open for further replies.