• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rpg-Hero-Arena 0.9 Beta

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
This map is a Hero Arena combined with some RPG- elements. BETA means, this is one of the first versions i uploaded. It is tested a lot but only by myself and some friends.

Suggested players: 4-12
Suggested playtime: 2 hours or more

Designed to be a RPG map with open world PVP, ganking and arena fights. In the late game there are some challenging boss fights with mechanics.
You are supposed to do a quest line, grind creeps and kill bosses to increase your hero's power!
This map is supposed to be kind of "old school".

• In the beginning there is a cinematic tutorial that will show you all important things to know so that you can easily start playing this map.
  • You can also play this map as a co-op PVE. There is no special mode to do so but as the late-game boss fights are very challenging it can be a lot of fun, too.
  • Heroes and items, armor & attackdamage and the different attributes are balanced as good as possible

• Choose one of six heroes and start leveling by grinding creeps. Choose your heroes wisely so that they can support each other, especially with their auras and buffs.
  • When your hero is leveling up, you are rewarded with "lumber" that you must spend at the base for increasing your hero's attributes.
  • There is a quest line that you should follow for a more efficient leveling. This series of quests also kind of leads you through the map.
  • There are many different boss fights. The late-game boss fights have some special mechanics and are really hard to kill.
  • Explore the map to find some rare mobs and rare bosses that can spawn at random places.
  • Every 10 minutes of game time there will be a team arenafight.
  • Between the arenafights, there will spawn a boss in the middle of the map. This boss is supposed to be a hot spot with great rewards so that people will encounter each other and do PvP.
  • The goal of the map is to kill enough enemy heroes so that the enemy team lifes go down to 0.
  • There is a orc burrow under your control in your base, that allows you to stock items, shows your current QUEST PROGRESS and reset your camera for a better view. It can pick up items near your hero from all over the map for a better item management. Have a look at it's abilities and tooltips.
  • Spend gold to buy items. Also there is a little chance that items will be dropped when creeps are killed. All bosses have a chance to drop some special boss items or aditional attribute power ups.
  • You can craft items with reciepes and most of the "starting items" will stack so that it is a little easier to manage your hero's inventory. Each item has a special model that will appear on your character when carried.
Change Log

1. Update

Version RPG Hero Arena 0.9 Beta
on 12th July 2021

- Changed the version number to 0.9 because it is still in a test phase. This means, i had no chance to test the map with many people and mostly in single player so i hope you guys will help me out :)

BIGGEST CHANGES:

- changed most of the hero spells, the tooltips and the hero models

- added a boss "Spirit of the Arena" that spawns in the middle area of the map. The boss is supposed to do not much on his own, but it is a great point of interest / hot spot so that people are more likely to encounter each other & do pvp. The boss drops many power-up items that are dropped in an area around him when he dies

- Changed some item icons

- added "quests" to the quest log for more information

- removed some creeps and changed the triggers that spawns creeps to reduce memory leaks

- fixed many known bugs

- exported the map with the newest version of WC3 (Reforged) 1.32.10.17380
CREDITS

Heres a list of all imported icons and models and their authors:

All icons and models are downloaded from hiveworkshop

Advanced White and Metal Heavy Armour - by Astaroth Zion
Warglaive of Azzinoth - by Deolrin, FrIkY
PaleVal'kyrSvH - by Blizzard Entertainment, Sellenisko
UndeadVrykul - by Sellenisko
UndeadBloodElf - by ironmaiden
Trex - by olofmoleman
Teron Gorefiend - by Necrokenis
Twisted Twin Dragon Staff 1.1 - by stonneash
Squirtle - by Forgotten_Warlord
Shiva's Wings - by JetFangInferno
Elder Shaman Thrall - by Rubellu Sidus
Samus Aran - by (Original Skin by Metabee) Fallen H, Fallen Hav
Renegade Armor - by Kitabatake
R2d2 - by olofmoleman
Pikachu - by Kuhneghetz
Nazgul - by Taylor_Mouse
NazgulRider - by olofmoleman
BTNNazgulRider - by olofmoleman
NagaEnchantress - by Tarrasque
MotherShahraz - by Sellenisko
Might_of_Menethil - by Solu9
Mercenary Armor v2 - by Kitabatake
Mannoroth - by Murlocologist
Mail Armor - by Sunchips
Mage Armor v2 - by Kitabatake
Lord Vader - by HerrDave
High Warlord Naj'entus - by Misha
The Lich King - by Kwaliti
Diablo III: King Leoric - by HappyTauren
Lady Blaumeux - by JesusHipster/PROXY, PROXY
InquisitorMalendis - by Sellenisko
Igneous Cleaver - by Solu9
Hagnarus - by JoySoy
GoldenClaw - by Darkwind
Garrosh - by Tauer
Fallen Seraph Hood - by Blood Raven
Eclipse Cuirass - by Kitabatake
Demon Knight - by Tarrasque
CrystalInfernal - by Dark Hunter1357
Crimson Yoroi - by Kitabatake
CreepyMask - by Sin'dorei300
Charmander - by HappyCockroach
Bulwark of Azzinoth (sheathable) - by Mulgrim
Bulbasaur - by HappyCockroach
Bone Armor Pauldrons - by InfernalTater
Bone Armor White - by InfernalTater
Armor 6,7,12,17 by Kitabatake
BTNWarglaiveofAzzinoth - by Blizzard Entertainment, FrIkY
Tyrael Final Update - by Grey Knight
Spell Axe - by Kitabatake
Short Axe/Throwing Axe - by Lord_T
Metal Shield - by Manusia
BTNMace - by The D3ath
SauronsMace - by olofmoleman
Sauron - by olofmoleman
Samurai Helmet - by Kitabatake
BTNSutrursSword - by -Berz-
BTNSpiderArmor - by Mc !
Trident - by Tarrasque
BTNInfernalbow - by PeeKay
BTNBurger - by supertoinkz
BTNHamburger4 - by Jack_Sparrow93
BTNFrostmourne - by I3lackDeath
BTNFirePlateArmor - by PeeKay
Orc Shield 2 - by perfjert
Odd Sword - by HappyTauren
NSRPG_sword_faerieblade - by N00byStance
NSRPG_shield_boneshield - by N00byStance
Metal Bow - by Kitabatake
LethalBow - by Gottfrei
Ice Skull Mask - by perfjert
Helmet - by Kitabatake
Hell Shot - by Teaspoon
Golden Axe - by RedFuser
Elemental Sword of Fire - by owenfitz
Dragon BattleAxe - by Lord_T
Basic helmet - by ikillforeyou
Helmet - by Kitabatake
BTNHolyPaladin - by Justicebringer
BTNFrostShield - by Darkfang
Villager v2 - by Kitabatake
Villager (Male) and Derivatives - by Ujimasa Hojo
Villager in robe - 40 animations - by .KC, edited by diosilva16

My maps (made by McZero):
Contents

Rpg-Hero-Arena 0.9 Beta (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Please remove the Campaign tag. This is not such a thing. It's a map. Also, it's not an arena map. It's an RPG. You should not be lazy to write the hotkey for each spell in their description: Tooltip Tutorial Creating Good Descriptions Why is Holy...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Please remove the Campaign tag. This is not such a thing. It's a map. Also, it's not an arena map. It's an RPG.
  2. You should not be lazy to write the hotkey for each spell in their description:
    Tooltip Tutorial
    Creating Good Descriptions
  3. Why is Holy Light named Small Healing after you learn it and the icon is that of Healing Wave!? Even the Paladin has the same spell but named differently, I mean the name's been kept.
  4. You could change the icon or hue of items which look alike. These can help:
    Button Manager v1.8.2
    BLP Lab v0.5.0
  5. Mostly Warcraft III material. Maybe some custom spells? Spells | HIVE
  6. Basically what you do is kill units on the map awaiting to be killed. Bosses are only stronger units. There is no interesting mechanic to them. The gameplay is too old school.
As of now, it has not much to show for itself. There are better maps of the same genre than this on the site.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

EDIT: also please provide a changelog for updates.
Awaiting Update.

Last edited:
Level 5
1. Yeah im new i removed it, didnt know what exactly i should tag. It is a arena map in my opinion. The RPG is just the beside thing. I want people to do open world pvp a lot (thats why the quests lead them to specific spots). You level up your heros by grinding creeps and have a team fight in the arena every 10 minutes. Bounties will appear on players that are on a killing spree so that other players that are a little behind can find and gank them in the open world.
PVP is supposed to be the main theme of my map, maybe it appears not to be so when you dont have many or even no enemy players at all. It is a map you should play with at least 4 players, i rather suggest 8 or even 12 players. I played that on a lan-party with friends and it was extremely cool, thats what it is supposed to be for.

2. I will update it.

3. I will update the holy light tooltip and name.

4. I have a look at it but at the moment i think its fine to me. I like it as it is.

5. Im not the bigest fan of custom spells and i dont think i will import some for this map. I have another map where i created a ability power system and made the spells and the "spell pool" of the heros more interesting than in RPG Hero Arena. Fancy spells are not the thing i wanted to bring into this map. I want some players that dont know the map to be familiar with the game play so that people that are on a lan-party can just download it and have fun. So i decided to stay near to Blizzards spells so that everybody instantly knows what the spells are about.

6. Well i dont think you really played my map then (and i dont want to sound offending by saying so). It takes some time and i admit its a lot of grinding and leveling, but thats what it is supposed to be. The late game bosses have very many mechanics so maybe you have a look at them and not only the "shitty" mini- bosses in the begining that literally are only stonger units.
It is old school because i wanted that map to be old school, but can you say it is bad because of that? I will add that to the map description.

I never played a similar map with a quest line and good boss mechanics. (Well i just played angel arena and stuff that was released like 10-15 years ago, im old school wc3- player and not that much into playing a lot of fun maps)

If you play this map with 2vs2 or 3vs3 people it is a lot of fun. I think you only gave 2/5 because 1st you did not do any late game bosses (or even the middle game bosses) and 2nd played it on your own without any enemy players. Tell me if im wrong but it would be interesting for me to know how you tested it.

As you see i suggest at least 4 players for this map, else it may be a little boring.
I admit it takes like 2-3 hours to get to the real late game and i dont think you did spend nearly that much amount of time testing it.

After all im glad you had a look at it, so tell me more specific what im supposed to do to get this approved and make the map better.
I understand that you might be not willing to spend more than 1 hour for testing a single map but you did not nearly experienced what my map is about in my opinion.
As i said it is supposed to be at least 2vs2 players and 2 hours or more play time. ( I will add that to the description as well)

UPDATE 6. You can have a look at the triggers for my boss-fights if you want. I did not try to reinvent the wheel, but it is movement required and some tactics. For example killing less Healing globes on Thyrael will heal him but prevents him from dealing more damage. Have a look at arthas, illidan and the Arena Keeper as well (those three bosses are the ones which i really and mainly ment to have boss mechanics).

Sauron and the Nazguhl are the first bosses with some little triggered mechanics, mainly ment to do some AOE damage for making it harder fighting them with multiple players at the same time.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If you play this map with 2vs2 or 3vs3 people it is a lot of fun. I think you only gave 2/5 because 1st you did not do any late game bosses (or even the middle game bosses) and 2nd played it on your own without any enemy players. Tell me if im wrong but it would be interesting for me to know how you tested it.
I didn't say it won't be fun. I'm saying it's too much based on Warcraft III material and compared to other maps of its kind it's not that special or different. My main gripe are the spells which are basically recycled and not even that differentiated between heroes as some have at least one same spell.
I admit it takes like 2-3 hours to get to the real late game and i dont think you did spend nearly that much amount of time testing it.
I did not because it would mean that much time doing almost the same thing.

Since you know triggering, would it be that problematic to enhance the current spells? Make some combos, something, you know, not leaving them exactly the same or with minor value changes.
And every player hero pretty much looks the same way. I don't know... play some RPGs and Arenas and get more inspiration. You should enhance this map more to get away from the hardcore old school.

Level 5
Well okay i will enhance the spells and change them into something for some combos. But i must say it was kind of on purpose that the spells are so standard.

What i will do for next update:

1. I will do new hero spells and think of different spell combinations for my heroes and stuff. I will keep it kind of old school but try to make it more interesting. This inlcudes new tooltips for the spells with hotkeys and other fixings.
2. I will change the icons of the "Level 10" stacked items. I hope it is ok to keep the "Level 1-9" ones with the same icon as its just the same item but stacked.
3. I will get some different RPG- Models for my heroes, but i think it will still stay close to the villager model. (i think of variants or different skins, most Item models looked bad on other RPG Hero models that i tried to use before)
4. I will integrate another Random Boss in the Level areas in the middle of the map that will appear and be a hot spot for leveling. It will be timed between the arena fights and the strength and rewards for that boss are based on the current game time. I want to give players an additional impulse to have something to fight and do pvp for.

@deepstrasz as it will take some days maybe you can reply on my update- list to tell me if that could be good to get the map approved or if there is something significant missing in your opinion.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
as it will take some days maybe you can reply on my update- list to tell me if that could be good to get the map approved or if there is something significant missing in your opinion.
Hey, sure. Don't hurry. Make it worthwhile. The spells are the main problem. You don't have to totally overdo them just make the current ones more interesting (combos between one hero's spells, between heroes of different types etc.) and have each hero be unique. Don't make two heroes with the same spell especially when one is just named differently and has another icon.