• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
This may motivate Blizzard to throw extra money and people at Classic Games to remedy the situation and make sure it never repeats.
Or they'll just close the whole division altogether.
And the community will continue to enhance the modding experience as they did until the classic team, no, ActiBlizz desperately groped at the situation.
Diablo Immoral scandal
You had to remind me...

The difference with HotS is that WC3 is a goldmine of free labour ready to be exploited. They're obviously looking to capitalize on the endless amount of content provided by their own customers seeing as income from their cashcow (wow) has been declining for a while.

Let's just be constructive and give them a good ol' shout out to screw Reforged and take their time properly with the actual Warcraft III game.
Yeah, we should definitely be supportive and constructive though, at least the classics team is hard at work to expand the possibilities for modding.

Let's just be constructive and give them a good ol' shout out to screw Reforged and take their time properly with the actual Warcraft III game.
I'lld be more than fine if they release Reforged beta finally and just focus on fixing bugs and to be honest I'lld not even care for delaying the release as long as they give a beta that is being worked with updates\fixes

Level 9
So it will happen to Classics too, maintenance mode like good old 1.26 days, now if you think about it if they fix the stuff and leave the game alone like they did before it can be the best thing ever
Well, I don't scoff at new functionality, map size increase and 24 players. Those things were worth it. What 1.31 is supposed to bring is extremely good as well, when they fix it.
If it goes into maintenance mode now, it won't be a fair comparison, because we'll have a bajillion new functions and stuff to explore. Community will have new stuff to work with for years to come.

What they ideally need is a "pick your patch" functionality. Make B.Net have lobbies for the newest and up to two previous patches and add option for downgrade. This way EVERYONE would be happy.

This is a good business practice too. Software firm I work in support up to five previous versions, and I think one or two clients have even older versions, though we deal with them on a case by case basis. We release bugfixes for older versions, etc. That's good business. Blizzard is too obsessed with getting everyone to play the NEW thing - although I hope WoW Classic will teach them that old things matter too.

You know full well they won't do that. They can sell Reforged, get money back. They can't get money back from old Warcraft III. I'll venture a guess that Warcraft III sales for the past five years up to announcement of Reforged won't cover a month of Classic team's work.

Last edited:
Level 6
Only reason Activision is jumping on Wc3 is because of Netease Wc3, the Chinese abomination that caused this whole reforged debacle in the first place.

For the uninitiated, Netease is a micro transaction Wc3 filled to the brim with random $$$ wtfmaps not to dissimilar of a scene to the Mobile/Android market... And you know how are certain individuals (who often also wear suits and call the shots) get rock hard whenever they sense in the air a chance for selling a Micro Transaction or two. Yes. that noxious smell of a $5 purchase for a slightly better Arthas than your opponent has. Well whatever, if it makes Blizzard power the servers for 10 years more then I guess its worth it.

This post is an opinion and I have no concrete proof.

Edit: if they really wanted to re-release warcraft 3 all they needed to do is convert their basic wc3 jass code to sc2 code and remake every (wc1-wc3tft+) campaign in sc2 (which has already all assets mostly) and sell it for like $1 a chapter on average on Sc2 platform. Not to mention a whole niche of PVP matches using bnet2.0 interface. Honestly I think this option would have been cheaper and better in the long run for Blizzard...

Last edited:
Level 6
So we have to delay maping till they release a hotfix right?

Or you can map in old version and get it working on 1.31 btnet? I mean... I saved my map yesterday on previous version and pathability and everything was working properly, and then when played on 1.31 mountains got blighted. So i fear that even maping in al old version is no longer an option.

Idk how to get an old version btw, i would have to look for it. But if im not sure it would work i dont want to waste time on it.

So old version avoids the string corruption issue, but doesnt fix the pathability... Because i dont think that puting a copy of the terrain file in the new W3 1.31 folder will make it read it, since u are not saving the map again in the new WE editor.

Level 9
So we have to delay maping till they release a hotfix right?

Or you can map in old version and get it working on 1.31 btnet? I mean... I saved my map yesterday on previous version and pathability and everything was working properly, and then when played on 1.31 mountains got blighted. So i fear that even maping in al old version is no longer an option.

Idk how to get an old version btw, i would have to look for it. But if im not sure it would work i dont want to waste time on it.

So old version avoids the string corruption issue, but doesnt fix the pathability... Because i dont think that puting a copy of the terrain file in the new W3 1.31 folder will make it read it, since u are not saving the map again in the new WE editor.

I'm planning to dust off my GameRanger and see if it supports Warcraft III. Imperfect solution, but map needs testing.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Only reason Activision is jumping on Wc3 is because of Netease Wc3, the Chinese abomination that caused this whole reforged debacle in the first place.
That won't stop Netease type behaviour. Only prison will which sadly, isn't an option now.
Edit: if they really wanted to re-release warcraft 3 all they needed to do is convert their basic wc3 jass code to sc2 code and remake every (wc1-wc3tft+) campaign in sc2 (which has already all assets mostly) and sell it for like $1 a chapter on average on Sc2 platform. Not to mention a whole niche of PVP matches using bnet2.0 interface. Honestly I think this option would have been cheaper and better in the long run for Blizzard...
No. That would've made it a Warcraft III mod within StarCraft II and not Warcraft III.
Warcraft 3 Legacy Installer (1.21b - 1.27a)
Latest 1.27 patch | HIVE
[Need Help] Back to 1.29
Patch 1.30.4 Backup Game Files
I'm planning to dust off my GameRanger and see if it supports Warcraft III. Imperfect solution, but map needs testing.
Since 1.29.2 it didn't work anymore.

Level 6
No. That would've made it a Warcraft III mod within StarCraft II and not Warcraft III.

Yes they could have resold it as "Warcraft: Reloaded" or w/e and leave Warcraft III alone, an option that's looking better with each passing month this "classic team" is "improving" the Warcraft III code. And technically all SC2 campaigns are SC2 mods. The actual SC2 is just an engine with a terminal to battlenet2, and Blizz has some exclusive rights to use some proprietary APIs in that engine to publish their stuff.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Yes they could have resold it as "Warcraft: Reloaded" or w/e and leave Warcraft III alone, an option that's looking better with each passing month this "classic team" is "improving" the Warcraft III code. And technically all SC2 campaigns are SC2 mods. The actual SC2 is just an engine with a terminal to battlenet2, and Blizz has some exclusive rights to use some proprietary APIs in that engine to publish their stuff.
I'm saying, hoping for Warcraft fans to buy a Warcraft mod in another game is quite bad business.
Elune dammit!
Where's Kil'jaeden now when we need him to cast another in an ice prison in some world's forsaken edge?
That would be ironically paradoxical, wouldn't it.

To be frank I prefer playing games online via GameRanger than having to connect to their "special" servers to do it.

Level 6

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But... Any idea of how to make pathability work in 1.31 once i save the map in 1.30 (and pathability works fine in that WE editor)? Cause i think copypasting the terrain file into the 1.31 folder wont help since i wont be saving the map in that editor :/
Why would you even want to use 1.31 more than a PTR until it is hotfixed?

Level 6
Why would you even want to use 1.31 more than a PTR until it is hotfixed?

Oh, i understand ur point of view. I just continue maping in the old version and doesnt host it till 1.31 is fixed. Nice view jajaja. I was just simply thinking about allowing test games for my guys :)

Sure it's wrong to blame developers for patch problems, or to think a patch is bugless.
The critique is not against a single developer in the classic staff team. The developers are just the end of a chain, and maybe even play only a minor decission role. Neitherless I believe this doesn't mean the community isn't allowed to critisize the whole patch as a product, and blizzard can then just decide them selves responsebilities.

Level 2
Long time lurker on Hive, and particularly on this thread. I was pretty much just waiting until somebody found a workaround for the string corruption, but I lurked too hard and now I want to share my thoughts so you guys can understand how 1.31 effects someone who has not been a part of the community for over a decade. When they announced reforged, I pre-purchased as soon as they claimed custom games would be playable 1 for 1 on reforged. This meant I could use my countless hours of experience with the World Editor from my childhood to create something that would be played in a modern game and have a chance for it to become an actual big deal. Not only that, but the most important part: I could start right now.

Since the announcement I have put (literally) hundreds and hundreds of hours into creating my custom game as a single developer and when 1.31 was announced with all of these updates to the editor it was very exciting news. I downloaded the PTR right away and checked out all the changes. However since I was told that games saved to the 1.31 PTR Editor are not backwards compatible, I wasn't going to use the PTR editor to develop my custom game. Everything seemed to work, so I just continued with the current editor at the time.

Which brings me to my point, Warcraft 3 is EXTREMELY old. This patch has many upsetting implications and it's highly disrespectful not only to the community that has stuck with Warcraft 3 for so long but also the people who are spending real time and effort creating something they can be proud of. People have every right to be upset with Blizzard over 1.31 as this is not the standard of excellence they have been known for in the past.

tl;dr: I've stopped development on my map until I'm sure Blizzard can deliver on all of their promises.

Level 1
Yep i had 30 or so hours into my map only for it to be corrupted and unplayable after this patch. Guess imma just not play Warcraft 3 for awhile til they fix it...

Guys, i downloaded my old stuffs from the pastebin here in Hiveworkshop recently i and opened my old maps (built from version v.1.28.x) using this new World Editor.exe (v.1.31, it used to be WorldEdit right?) and my map always crash whenever i click on a terrain tile or select something on-screen. Does anyone experience this thing aswell? Also, MPQs seem to be hidden now (Im sorry if i am kinda outdated, i've been out in modding for 4+ years, i just want some assistance here lol)

Level 6
Guys, i downloaded my old stuffs from the pastebin here in Hiveworkshop recently i and opened my old maps (built from version v.1.28.x) using this new World Editor.exe (v.1.31, it used to be WorldEdit right?) and my map always crash whenever i click on a terrain tile or select something on-screen. Does anyone experience this thing aswell? Also, MPQs seem to be hidden now (Im sorry if i am kinda outdated, i've been out in modding for 4+ years, i just want some assistance here lol)

They broke World Editor completly in 1.31. You will have to wait for a hotfix to solve it as the rest of us :( You could also get an old w3 version to work in its WE and once they release 1.31.x fixed, you should be able to save it in the new WE... Unless they screw it again xD

They broke World Editor completly in 1.31. You will have to wait for a hotfix to solve it as the rest of us :( You could also get an old w3 version to work in its WE and once they release 1.31.x fixed, you should be able to save it in the new WE... Unless they screw it again xD

Oh, that makes sense, what a bad time for me to return lol. I think ill have to figure out how to downgrade to 1.30 now. Thanks bro!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Also, MPQs seem to be hidden now (Im sorry if i am kinda outdated, i've been out in modding for 4+ years, i just want some assistance here lol)
A search on the thread or site will help you get the information you ask for. Look below.
HiveThreadSearch.png
HiveThreadSearch02.png

Level 6
In PTR version 1.31 there is no bug with fields. It appears directly in the release itself 1.31

But the map created in the editor 131 or 1.31PTR still does not load on epicwar.com

but the maps created in the earlier version of the editor are downloaded to epicwar.com moreover if they are written in the GUI they continue to work on the existing version of Warcraft 1.31 without any problems

I parsed the map into components using the MPQ master and, for example, copied the PO file from the older version dump into the existing one, so I managed to restore it with the loss of only the current edition. You say that you spent a lot of time and you can find out it was the only copy of your map, and maybe you downloaded it on the Internet, I hope you understand that the bug with the tables can be rotated. All you need is 2 versions or at least the one that you downloaded to the Internet. And before it was the editor of WarRUN, it was possible to import even the landscape of the map. He was a good editor and always helped me.

(listfile)
(attributes)
war3map.w3e
war3map.w3i
war3map.wtg
war3map.wct
war3map.wts
war3map.j
war3map.shd
war3mapMap.blp
war3map.mmp
war3map.wpm
war3map.doo
war3mapUnits.doo
war3map.w3r
war3map.w3c
war3map.w3u
war3mapImported (папка)

listfile)
The list of all files included in the archive is presented in plain text form.
war3map.j
Here, in the JASS2 language, which was invented in Blizzard, all the triggers that are in the map are recorded. For information on the syntax of the language, read Sergey’s article on text triggers.
war3map.w3e
This contains information about texturing the surface. In this and other subsequent files for editing, it is necessary to open not with a regular notepad (it will show all nonsense), but in hexadecimal encoding (Hex). The entire surface is divided into identical squares and a certain type of texture is assigned to each of the four points of the square. In this case, the point is responsible for the quarter-square adjacent to it. Title:
Next comes directly the information about texturing the map. There is basically nothing interesting, because everything that can be done manually in this file can be done in the editor itself.
war3map.shd
Does not contain a header, only working information. File size = 16x <card width> x <card height>. One byte can matter: 00 - no shadow, FF - there is a shadow. Each square of texture (ground or cliff) contains 16 squares of shadow (4 * 4).
war3map.wpm
Indicates a place on the map with varying degrees of terrain. For each texture square there are 16 squares of permeability. Title:

Type of
Value
Description
symbol
Mp3w
character value, a required element indicating the type of file
whole
file version
whole
<texture_card_width> x4
card width
whole
<texture_card height> x4
card height
In the main part one by one go the bytes corresponding to the squares of the terrain. Their values correspond to:
00 - bridge
08 - shallow water
0A - deep water
40 - normal ground
48 - places where you can not build
CA - places where you can not walk and build
CE - map boundary
war3map.doo
Information on trees.
war3mapUnits.doo
Information on subjects and dudadam.

war3map.w3i
Various information on the map, which is set in the unit in the script section.
war3map.wts
String values entered in some fields of triggers are stored here.
war3mapMap.blp
The image of the minimap.
war3map.mmp
The menu minimap - design with icons of the minimap that appears when the map is loaded. Title:
Type of
Value
Description
whole
unknown what it means, but usually = 0
whole
number of badges
Main part. Each icon has 16 bytes:

war3map.w3u
Here data about all self-made units (custom units) is stored.
war3map.wtg
All internal names of triggers and variables that the editor automatically generates are stored here.
war3map.w3c
All the parameters of the camera that are available in the editor when opening the properties of the camera are set here.
war3map.w3r
Parameters of regions. Also nothing new, interesting, or something that could not be set through the editor.
war3map.w3s
Sounds are set. Standard options.
war3map.wct
This is where text triggers are written. Since they differ in structure from ordinary triggers, a special file was created to describe them - this is it. In text form, they are specified in this file. Or something like that.
war3map.imp
But this file is already something interesting. It appears inside the w3m archive only if at least one sound or music has been exported to the card in the unit. If this has been done, then the exported file appears in w3m in the war3mapImported folder, and a war3map.imp file is created in which an entry is made about the exported object. Record structure:

Using the MPQ Wizard. So I took war3map.w3u of my old version and pasted it into the current version.

W3M and W3X Files Format

You can try to create a converter if you can understand the structure of w3u if blizzard does not fix it, I think their mistake, since it does not affect the progress of the old cards but only the current ones, for example, you can rotate the current RO data for example in the SLK table. To try to do it manually or to create a converter that will transfer the old fields to new ones and such a converter should be provided by the blizzard in the editor so that the old field data will be filled in to the new table. But nothing has been done, this is very strange and the most surprising is that in 1.31PTR do not mix the fields.

Attachments

• 2019-06-02_142005.jpg
    2019-06-02_142005.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 214
  • OOONRfDrrxY.jpg
    OOONRfDrrxY.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 2019-06-02_141420.jpg
    2019-06-02_141420.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 2019-06-02_141122.jpg
    2019-06-02_141122.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 234
  • WoW Footmen v1.23-1.31-opt.w3x
    7.7 MB · Views: 215
  • WoW Footmen v1.23cancellation1.31-opt.w3x
    7.7 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Level 4
I know it's not legal. But it's a only way to continue of your map progress

▷ Warcraft 3 Patch 1.30 ++ Download Installer ++ Changelog +++

you can redownload previous patch.

I was hoping this would work so I could continue with my map. Sadly it does not work for me. I have tried uninstalling warcraft and installing patch 1.30.2 from the site but warcraft is still 1.31.0.12071 as before.
I also tried "Repairing" with patch 1.30 but with the same result. Did it work for you?

Level 18
I haven't seen anyone complaining during the PTR, so can't you simply use the PTR world editor instead of downgrading?
If you haven't downloaded the PTR before, you can get it from here.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I haven't seen anyone complaining during the PTR, so can't you simply use the PTR world editor instead of downgrading?
If you haven't downloaded the PTR before, you can get it from here.
PTRs are usually not compatible, therefore it's not recommended to work with PTR editors other than for testing.
I know it's not legal. But it's a only way to continue of your map progress
I was hoping this would work so I could continue with my map. Sadly it does not work for me. I have tried uninstalling warcraft and installing patch 1.30.2 from the site but warcraft is still 1.31.0.12071 as before.
I also tried "Repairing" with patch 1.30 but with the same result. Did it work for you?
No one uses the search engine or is too lazy for it:
Patch 1.31 announced

Level 1
Guys... since the moment I patched Wc3, my world editor disapeared. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game three times, I tried to install with my cd key and with my reforge purchase, but same result. It's like the world editor isn't part of the game now, am I the only one? Do you know how to make my world edit come back?

Level 13
when the tide goes out, you discover who has been swimming naked

Has anyone figured a temporary fix to World Edit or we just finna wait it out

Yo guys i see our game is in deep crysis, and i am sorry for being very rude now i know there are bigger problems than this :D

Can you guys bring back sound of wc3 while alt-tabing ?

Cause i wanna hear when game starts while i am in windows, and i go windows cause i am bored to wait game starts,got me?

P:S Didnt have much wait time problems while bots were up, but thats not a subject right now :D

Level 20
The new skills, Sundering Blades and the others, disappeared from the map after saving. What the hell.
The new stuff only appears if you have your map set to use Melee data in the Map Properties. It must be explicitly set by you if you make a custom map because Default and TFT/RoC static version (which essentially mean the same thing for custom maps) won't have that data.

Which is kind of lame because stuff like the Firelord/Tinker/Alchemist were folded into the static versions.

Although they HAVE to do this because they directly edited the existing Cripple and Raise Dead to the new functionality instead of making new copies of them like they did with Anti-Magic Shell for whatever reason (anything you made based on those two specific Necromancer spells you need to be extra careful about; Unholy Frenzy is untouched).

when the tide goes out, you discover who has been swimming naked

Has anyone figured a temporary fix to World Edit or we just finna wait it out
I've only vaguely heard that you have to put your maps in the Documents folder, but I have not verified this myself. It's still safer to use an older version.

Level 2
:/

Guys from Blizz, please let us know the approx date of fix? I'm rly srtuggling to finish project before Reforged comes out.

Sitting 3rd day in a row watching movies. COME ON!!11

Level 6
The new stuff only appears if you have your map set to use Melee data in the Map Properties. It must be explicitly set by you if you make a custom map because Default and TFT/RoC static version (which essentially mean the same thing for custom maps) won't have that data.

Which is kind of lame because stuff like the Firelord/Tinker/Alchemist were folded into the static versions.

Although they HAVE to do this because they directly edited the existing Cripple and Raise Dead to the new functionality instead of making new copies of them like they did with Anti-Magic Shell for whatever reason (anything you made based on those two specific Necromancer spells you need to be extra careful about; Unholy Frenzy is untouched).

I've only vaguely heard that you have to put your maps in the Documents folder, but I have not verified this myself. It's still safer to use an older version.

Wait, WHAT? Did they just destroy a skill to create a new one?! I thought they had added "a new version" of it, like they did with Anti magic shell and other skills... If Unholy frenzy, Raise Dead or Cripple have been redesigned they fucked my map xD. I will have to check tons of skills! Btw, do you know what they did to them? In "working terms" i dont care about values, since those dont affect to how the skill works or my custom dummy ones.

Btw, couldnt anyone with contact with Blizzard tell them to "keep the old spell around there"? Like they had always done?? It would be very helpful for mapers to have more vaerity of vanilla spells to work with.

The document folder doesnt work. They must fix WE.

:/

Guys from Blizz, please let us know the approx date of fix? I'm rly srtuggling to finish project before Reforged comes out.

Sitting 3rd day in a row watching movies. COME ON!!11

Same for me, im working on a guide for my map to dont enter Blizzards forum to rage xD

Level 20
Wait, WHAT? Did they just destroy a skill to create a new one?! I thought they had added "a new version" of it, like they did with Anti magic shell and other skills... If Unholy frenzy, Raise Dead or Cripple have been redesigned they fucked my map xD. I will have to check tons of skills! Btw, do you know what they did to them? In "working terms" i dont care about values, since those dont affect to how the skill works or my custom dummy ones.
No, it's just Raise Dead and Cripple. The thing you have to watch out for is the Tech Requirement and Tech Level Required which Raise Dead flat out didn't have before, and Cripple did. Raise Dead having a Tech Requirement is the thing that could throw the biggest wrench in things. In Cripple's case you're very unlikely to be affected in any major way if you removed either of those, but if you have a Cripple with the same Tech Level requirement you may find it missing one now.

Unholy Frenzy is exactly the same as before; there is a new spell called Incite Unholy Frenzy.

These changes are ONLY in effect if you pick Melee profile in the map preferences so if you use both of them interchangeably you have to watch out for this.

Last edited:
Level 6
I dont care about tech requirements. I care about "how the spell works". U were threatening me, i thought the spells would have a different behaviour now. Tech require is meaningless, specially if i use custom skills xD

My map is massive, it is not melé but a great battle map With 20 factions, unique events, spells, heroes, and A LOT of lore. I dont think the WE would allow me to set It as melé even if i would want to do It xD

Level 20
I dont care about tech requirements. I care about "how the spell works". U were threatening me, i thought the spells would have a different behaviour now. Tech require is meaningless, specially if i use custom skills xD
Well golly you don't have to act all offended about it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69

Cause i wanna hear when game starts while i am in windows, and i go windows cause i am bored to wait game starts,got me?
Better idea. The game maximizes automatically when the map finishes loading but only in multiplayer.
Well golly you don't have to act all offended about it.
Language barrier.

Level 12

Better idea. The game maximizes automatically when the map finishes loading but only in multiplayer.
Just make the game icon flash/blink yellow on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen instead. I really don't like when games pop up on their own while I'm doing something else, League of Legends constantly does this and it's incredibly obnoxious. (Though to be fair League is probably an extreme since it happens at like 5 different times.)

And personally I'm very glad that sound while alt-tabbing is removed again.

But this just shows how there's different preferences and there's not a universal right way to do it, which means that there should be setting options for these things so one can change to whatever one prefers.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Guys... since the moment I patched Wc3, my world editor disapeared. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game three times, I tried to install with my cd key and with my reforge purchase, but same result. It's like the world editor isn't part of the game now, am I the only one? Do you know how to make my world edit come back?
Try looking for it in the newly made folders within Warcraft III called x86_x64 and x64.

Level 5
No fucking sound while the game is minimized, please! -_- Maybe some workarounds for notifying people when the game starts but having the sound go on the entire time while the game is minimized is just broken.

Level 1
Try looking for it in the newly made folders within Warcraft III called x86_x64 and x64.
Oh dear god that was so simple. I couldn't read the whole 18 pages of this topic, I guess the answer was there. Sorry for the dumb question and a big thanks for your answer you saved my projects...

Status
Not open for further replies.