• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 - Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
slash-png.267815
texturing.png

paired.png
contest.png
number.png
3.png

upload_2017-5-15_16-39-8.png

art by vidagr at deviantart

Leaders

Contestants should create a model that represents a leader to a certain faction, race, or nation. It may be a king, a queen, a chieftain, a leader of any sort, as long as it occupies the highest ranks of power in a certain group.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules, model submission rules, or skin submission rules.
  2. Each team should post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) preview of each field before the deadline (1 Model WIP, 1 Texture WIP).
  3. To submit your entry, one of the teammates must upload the entry's contents as a bundle in the Resource Section, and link to that bundle in this thread confirming the submission. (The co-author will be added by the staff)
    • That bundle must contain:
      • Your model's MDX file.
      • All custom BLP textures necessary. (At least 1 custom texture must be used)
    • It may optionally contain:
      • 1 portrait model.
      • 1 missile model.
      • 1 corresponding icon.
    Your submission bundle may not contain anything else than the above list. Separate SFX models, alternative texture versions, alternative model versions - those should be uploaded after the contest's results are out.

4. The bundle must be submitted (and may be updated) before the deadline is reached.
  5. You aren't allowed to update your entry bundle's MDX and BLP contents after the contest is closed and before the results are out. Doing such will cause your disqualification.
  6. You must make the model and the texture specifically for this competition, which means you cannot use old works.
  7. The only non-original material permitted is what is contained in Warcraft III archives. (In-game textures, animations, etc.)
  8. Custom textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512.
  9. Preferably the custom texture should be 100% freehand (No CnP's or recolors allowed).
  10. To be a valid entry, your model must have these minimum animations:
    • Stand
    • Walk
    • Death
  11. A team is made of essentially one 3D Modeler and one 2D Texturer. That is the purpose of the contest. Therefore, each participant should attain himself/herself to their own task (and the 3D Modeler isn't supposed to do any 2D Artwork). Even if it is impossible to keep a track of who did what, we expect you to respect the contest and follow its guidelines.
    • It is the Texturer's work: All custom textures, the optional custom icon, and (optionally and allowedly) the texture Wrap.
    • It is the Modeler's work: Mesh, texture Wrap, Rig, Animation, Nodes, Mechanics, SFX.
prizes.png

• First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Participation: 5 reputation points

judges.png

• Traggey
  • Mr. Goblin

There should be at least 1 judge for Modeling and 1 judge for Texturing. The Design aspect should be judged by all.
Anyone who has knowledge in those fields is deemed acceptable by the contest's appointed moderator and may become a judge - simply post in this thread showing your willingness to judge and you shall be evaluated.​

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

The judging score of each entry should be composed of three criteria with different weights: 20% by the Design, 40% for the Modeling, and 40% for the Texturing. Which are described as following:

DESIGN - 20 points
CreativityIs the concept unexpected and original, or is it predictable? Is the idea interesting or is it just random? Is it thoughtful and profound, or is it shallow? (a few notes: Simple ideas doesn't always mean ordinary ideas. Complex doesn't always mean thoughtful as well. Everything has a reference - only because you've seen something before, doesn't mean it can't be originally thought)/10

Consistency
Does the entry fit the theme? Does it have a context? Does the concept have coherence? Does it have a solid sense of character? (notes: the concept's consistency should be judged in the parameters of what it is apparently meant for. If a model is meant to Sci-Fi, shouldn't be judged how well it fits WC3 lore.)/10
MODELING - 40 points
MeshHow the mesh looks aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Does the wrap provoke big distortions of the texture?/15

Animations
How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? How hard is it to relate it to the original in that case?/15

Effects
How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressing? But are they added in a good measure? Did the model need more?/5

Mechanics
How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable in-game? Does it feature attachments/footprints/collisions/etc? Is it fully selectable?/5
TEXTURING - 40 points
Texture DesignAre the elements drawn appealing? Are they understandable? Are they interesting and do they enrich the model with detail? Is the composition balanced, or is it too empty / too crowded?/10

Definition
Is the texture precise and well-defined? Isn't it blurry, or distorted? Does it look good enough from the in-game perspective?/10

Shading
Does the texture look consistent with in-game light settings? Does it have appealing and appropriate shading and highlights?/10

Color
Is the color scheme rich and interesting? Do the tones compliment each other, or they create conflict? Is Teamcolor well put? Does it blend well in-game?/10

• 70% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll. Voters will be able to vote in at most X entries, where X is 1/3 of the total entries rounded to the closest number.
entries.png

Below is a list of entrant teams and their latest work-in-progress post to help hosts, judges and watchers alike keep track of the contest and the contestants' progress.

Team Name3D Modeler2D ArtistEntryWIP's

We Don't Need No Public Vote
PROXY~NightmareSargerasWIP 1 - WIP 2 - WIP 3 - WIP 4 - WIP 5 - WIP 6 - WIP 7 - WIP 8 - WIP 9

The KOOL Gang!
Stefan.KHeinversVol'jinWIP 1 - WIP 2 - WIP 3 - WIP 4

To Infinity and Beyond!
FreddykA.R.Space PirateWIP 1

Team AngryPanther
HayateChenLord Kur'talos RavencrestWIP 1 - WIP 2 - WIP 3 - WIP 4 - WIP 5 - WIP 6

Team N° 5.0 FM
FerSZMurlocologistMo'arg OverlordWIP 1

In Treetops We Dwell
HappyCockroach4eNNightmareHerald of the Deep MotherWIP 1 - WIP 2

At the end of the contest a test map will be put up by the host featuring all the entries, in order to make in-game testing easier and to improve the voting input at the poll. Then, each team will have 72 hours to approve/alter the in-game configuration of their model before a poll is put up.​

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 16th of May, 2017 and conclude on 3rd of July, 2017, 23:59 GMT

Last edited:
recruitment_2.png

The following users intend to participate and are searching for a teammate:

If you want to be added to the list, post in this thread saying so. Preferrably contact each other to make up a team via Private Conversations, or Visitor Messages. Leaving your name here is important, but it is highly recommended you actively search for a teammate. The earlier you team up, longer is the time you'll have in hands to finish your entry.

Last edited:
I could sign up for both 3D and 2D, but I'd fall apart in the animation department.

However, life just went from neutral to fifth gear, so I might to be strained at the moment. Sign me up as 2D artist either way, I should be able to carve out time for it!
You may sign up for both if you want, so you can group up with either a 2D Artist or 3D Modeler.

Me and ~Nightmare are probably in. Nothing official yet though.

Glad to see this contest was hosted so quickly. Nice job HC.
Why thank you :)
And that's one hell of a team :) Tell me once it is official.
Looks like Traggey and I'll be working together.

Gonna see about a concept soon.
MMC#5 winner and second place unite. :eek: Again, one hell of a team. :p

I'll leave the team name empty for now. Post the name here once you have it xD

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Looks like Traggey and I'll be working together.

Gonna see about a concept soon.
It's like 2009 all over again... Rising_Dusk & Jigrael joining forces.

I actually, for a picosecond, entertained an idea of joining. But ignoring all the not-Time I have, I really don't have the skills for a real Modeling Contest (much less something I can't phlub like "Familiar"; "Leader" is a big deal).

So I'll just sit back (like usual) & enjoy.

Level 9
Oh man! Oh god ooh! This could be grrrr!! I didn't know that we got this type of contests.
I can either be in the position of 3D or 2D but im trying to get a setup for my house so i can participate on this one. I can possibly be the 2D in worst scene. Anyone can let me know, good luck everyone.

Like as I was asigned to be a 2D artist, am I not alowed to contribute with the 3D work?
Sorry if I missed your question before! It wouldn't be a problem to help out with a few areas of the modeling, even if the essence of the contest is a Modeler and a Texturer teaming up. Some teams might have different setups, as long as both dedicate substantial work to the entry and we don't have a One-Person-Team going on.

I'll put up a disclaimer in this regard at the first post today. (Being practical, we can't know which is doing what, therefore we can't really apply consequences. But since these contests are for fun, we expect our participants don't cross the lines voluntarily)

I might participate, if there is anyone willing to commit suicide and work with me.
Not at all! You have some great pieces at our database :)

@Freddyk and I are in as Team "To Infinity and Beyond!"
:eek:

What a contest we shall have :p

Like as I was asigned to be a 2D artist, am I not alowed to contribute with the 3D work?
After a quite long discussion on this regard with some people in chat, and a lot of thinking I've put to the issue, the conclusion is the following:
A team is made of essentially one 3D Modeler and one 2D Artist. That is the purpose of the contest. Therefore, each participant should attain himself/herself to their own task (3D Modeling in this case should exclude any 2D Art work). Even if it is impossible to keep a track of who did what, we expect you to respect the contest and follow its guidelines.
It doesn't feel so right to put such clear limits, but if not, what would be the boundary? I firstly thought that we could put the Wrap, 50% of the Mesh and the SFX at the 'gray area'. And leave the animations (?) as exclusive to modelers? And don't let modelers texture anything at all? But it would be hard to set criteria without bias towards any specific team.

The easiest and most consistent approach is: we have, practically, a teamed Texturing Contest + Modeling Contest going on. If it was texturing, the 2D Artist wouldn't be supposed to alter the model. The exception here is that the Modeler isn't supposed to texture. And well, separate (and complementary) roles is what people expect of this contest's mechanics, given its name, description, etc.

(Sorry if that contradicts what I said above. I tried to give a more open definition, but it would get more and more chaotic.)

However, some modellers' meshwork might interfere with how a texturer wraps their models, or some wraps may feel confining to some modellers. That seems like the best place for a grey area.
That's where teamwork and communication takes place. >.>

And yes, if there's one, the Wrap is clearly the gray area between 2D and 3D. It is a set of 2D coordinates meant to tell the engine how to cover a 3D mesh. So if the texturer needs to tinker a bit with it, it's fine, it does happen a lot. (In Texturing Contests texturers are used to Blizzard's horrible wraps. Here there's the benefit of altering it whenever convenient). While the Wrap is ambiguous, the 3D mesh itself is Modeler's work.

Level 22
I also think that both teammates should be able to modify the UV wrap if they have to.
Other parts of the work should remain separated though because teamwork and communication is what we want in a paired contest, right?
But UV wrap is definitely important for both, and it's good to be able to make slight adjustments yourself.

Level 20
Yeah there's one thing when it comes to teamwork and communication, and then there's just keeping things nice and streamlined. Instead of having to send any small requests about UV or Model changes, having to explain exactly what is needed, sending revisions back and forth and then finally downloading a fixed mesh, it instantly just becomes an annoyance when I instead could just do that exact thing myself in a matter of a few minutes.

Then there's also the timezone issue, I'm in sweden and Dire is in Canada. If I need a change to be made in order to texture properly I could have to wait for like eight hours for that to be made instead of just, again, fixing myself.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm with you guys that the UVWrap is somewhat of an ideal 'gray area', but in regards to Time Zones... That's kind of the rub with these Paired Contests. Many of us are clustered in either Europe, America, or (increasingly) the Philippines, and necessarily there is some issue with time-zones & communicating. Just kinda comes part-n-parcel with the whole genie gig running a Team Contest on an international forum.

Level 51
Seeing how many people are interested, this event gives me goosebumps :]

Keep at it and be inventive!

I'm so glad too. Really looking forward to it.

I have a question regarding the model's polycount. Do we have a polycount limit?

Nope, don't think so. But unessecary polies tend to lose points in the mesh part. It will also increase the likelyhood of not fitting into wc3 as good as a more low poly model would. But basically you have free decision space.

Edit: To get some WIP's going:
goribal.JPG goribal1.JPG

Last edited:
Nope, don't think so. But unessecary polies tend to lose points in the mesh part. It will also increase the likelyhood of not fitting into wc3 as good as a more low poly model would. But basically you have free decision space.
Exactly. There's no explicit limit, but you have WC3 as a reference, and unnecessary polies are unnecessary.

And keep the wips coming :)

Level 50
I'm so glad too. Really looking forward to it.

Edit: To get some WIP's going:
View attachment 268341 View attachment 268347
Great, thanks for answer, to both of you.
Do I sense Sargeras here? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.