1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The SharpCraft World Editor Extended (WEX) has been updated for the latest Warcraft 3 version: Download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join Music Contest #7 - Location! Craft a song that depicts any place.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 - Leaders has begun! Artists group up and struggle! May the best team lead the run.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. 'The Icon Contest #15 has started and Melee units await for their new abilities!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Advanced Tech-tree contest #1 poll! Cast your vote now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. 'The gothic theme has yielded great textures! Come and check out the results for the 26th texturing contest.
    Dismiss Notice

Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by HappyCockroach, May 15, 2017.

1. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

Contestants should create a model that represents a leader to a certain faction, race, or nation. It may be a king, a queen, a chieftain, a leader of any sort, as long as it occupies the highest ranks of power in a certain group.

[​IMG]

1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules, model submission rules, or skin submission rules.
    2. Each team should post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) preview of each field before the deadline (1 Model WIP, 1 Texture WIP).
    3. To submit your entry, one of the teammates must upload the entry's contents as a bundle in the Resource Section, and link to that bundle in this thread confirming the submission. (The co-author will be added by the staff)
      • That bundle must contain:
        • Your model's MDX file.
        • All custom BLP textures necessary. (At least 1 custom texture must be used)
      • It may optionally contain:
        • 1 portrait model.
        • 1 missile model.
        • 1 corresponding icon.
      Your submission bundle may not contain anything else than the above list. Separate SFX models, alternative texture versions, alternative model versions - those should be uploaded after the contest's results are out.

4. The bundle must be submitted (and may be updated) before the deadline is reached.
    5. You aren't allowed to update your entry bundle after the contest is closed and before the results are out. Doing such might cause your disqualification.
    6. You must make the model and the texture specifically for this competition, which means you cannot use old works.
    7. The only non-original material permitted is what is contained in Warcraft III archives. (In-game textures, animations, etc.)
    8. Custom textures must be no larger than 512 pixels in any dimension when submitted as final entry, though you may work in 1024 (or higher), but they must be resized down to 512.
    9. Preferably the custom texture should be 100% freehand (No CnP's or recolors allowed).
    10. To be a valid entry, your model must have these minimum animations:
      • Stand
      • Walk
      • Death
    11. A team is made of essentially one 3D Modeler and one 2D Texturer. That is the purpose of the contest. Therefore, each participant should attain himself/herself to their own task (and the 3D Modeler isn't supposed to do any 2D Artwork). Even if it is impossible to keep a track of who did what, we expect you to respect the contest and follow its guidelines.
      • It is the Texturer's work: All custom textures, the optional custom icon, and (optionally and allowedly) the texture Wrap.
      • It is the Modeler's work: Mesh, texture Wrap, Rig, Animation, Nodes, Mechanics, SFX.
    [​IMG]
    • First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
    • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
    • Participation: 5 reputation points

[​IMG]
    There should be at least 1 judge for Modeling and 1 judge for Texturing. The Design aspect should be judged by all.
    Anyone who has knowledge in those fields is deemed acceptable by the contest's appointed moderator and may become a judge - simply post in this thread showing your willingness to judge and you shall be evaluated.​

[​IMG]
    The judging score of each entry should be composed of three criteria with different weights: 20% by the Design, 40% for the Modeling, and 40% for the Texturing. Which are described as following:

Judging Criteria
    DESIGN - 20 points
    Creativity Is the concept unexpected and original, or is it predictable? Is the idea interesting or is it just random? Is it thoughtful and profound, or is it shallow? (a few notes: Simple ideas doesn't always mean ordinary ideas. Complex doesn't always mean thoughtful as well. Everything has a reference - only because you've seen something before, doesn't mean it can't be originally thought) /10
    Consistency Does the entry fit the theme? Does it have a context? Does the concept have coherence? Does it have a solid sense of character? (notes: the concept's consistency should be judged in the parameters of what it is apparently meant for. If a model is meant to Sci-Fi, shouldn't be judged how well it fits WC3 lore.) /10
    MODELING - 40 points
    Mesh How the mesh looks aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution? Does the wrap provoke big distortions of the texture? /15
    Animations How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? How hard is it to relate it to the original in that case? /15
    Effects How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressing? But are they added in a good measure? Did the model need more? /5
    Mechanics How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable in-game? Does it feature attachments/footprints/collisions/etc? Is it fully selectable? /5
    TEXTURING - 40 points
    Texture Design Are the elements drawn appealing? Are they understandable? Are they interesting and do they enrich the model with detail? Is the composition balanced, or is it too empty / too crowded? /10
    Definition Is the texture precise and well-defined? Isn't it blurry, or distorted? Does it look good enough from the in-game perspective? /10
    Shading Does the texture look consistent with in-game light settings? Does it have appealing and appropriate shading and highlights? /10
    Color Is the color scheme rich and interesting? Do the tones compliment each other, or they create conflict? Is Teamcolor well put? Does it blend well in-game? /10

• 70% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • 30% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll. Voters will be able to vote in at most X entries, where X is 1/3 of the total entries rounded to the closest number.
    [​IMG]

Below is a list of entrant teams and their latest work-in-progress post to help hosts, judges and watchers alike keep track of the contest and the contestants' progress.

Team Name 3D Modeler 2D Artist Entry WIP's
    Team Balanced Breakfast Direfury Traggey Concept Art
    We Don't Need No Public Vote PROXY ~Nightmare WIP 1 - WIP 2 - WIP 3 - WIP 4 - WIP 5 - WIP 6 - WIP 7 - WIP 8
    The KOOL Gang! Stefan.K Heinvers WIP 1 - WIP 2 - WIP 3 - WIP 4
    To Infinity and Beyond! Freddyk A.R. WIP 1
    Team AngryPanther Hayate Chen WIP 1 - WIP 2 - WIP 3
    Team N° 5.0 FM FerSZ Murlocologist

At the end of the contest a test map will be put up by the host featuring all the entries, in order to make in-game testing easier and to improve the voting input at the poll. Then, each team will have 72 hours to approve/alter the in-game configuration of their model before a poll is put up.​

[​IMG]
    • The contest shall begin on 16th of May, 2017 and conclude on 3rd of July, 2017, 23:59 GMT

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017 at 3:15 AM
  2. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

recruitment_2.png
    The following users intend to participate and are searching for a teammate:

3D Modelers 2D Artists

If you want to be added to the list, post in this thread saying so. Preferrably contact each other to make up a team via Private Conversations, or Visitor Messages. Leaving your name here is important, but it is highly recommended you actively search for a teammate. The earlier you team up, longer is the time you'll have in hands to finish your entry.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  3. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

So, it's time to find teammates. I am arguing with the @Murlocologist if he wants a cooperation between us.

4. Heinvers

Heinvers

2D Art Moderator

Excellent. Don't be shocked but I may participate.

5. Direfury

Direfury

I am so down.

Y'know, if I can find a partner.

6. aeman

aeman

i may but not his time, busy with exam. I dont like to suffer my future

7. Misha

Misha

hm.. i don't remember.. have i joined a modelling contest before? Ouo

i might not join tho, i have lill too much stuff on my table right now, so to say

8. PROXY

PROXY

Model Reviewer

Me and ~Nightmare are probably in. Nothing official yet though.

Glad to see this contest was hosted so quickly. Nice job HC.

9. Direfury

Direfury

Looks like Traggey and I'll be working together.

Gonna see about a concept soon.

10. Arowanna

Arowanna

I could sign up for both 3D and 2D, but I'd fall apart in the animation department.

However, life just went from neutral to fifth gear, so I might to be strained at the moment. Sign me up as 2D artist either way, I should be able to carve out time for it!

11. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

You may sign up for both if you want, so you can group up with either a 2D Artist or 3D Modeler.

Why thank you :)
    And that's one hell of a team :) Tell me once it is official.
    MMC#5 winner and second place unite. :eek: Again, one hell of a team. :p

I'll leave the team name empty for now. Post the name here once you have it xD

12. Arowanna

Arowanna

Nah, leave it at 2D for now. As mentioned, time constrained at the moment and I've an easier time with 2D! :)

However, if things calm down earlier than expected, I'll sign up for both!

13. A.R.

A.R.

I'm keen to enter as a texture artist :)

14. Arowanna

Arowanna

Aight, had a quick talk with MiniMage, we'll be teaming up if we get the time for it. Team name and etc. will have to wait until the 29th of May.

15. Direfury

Direfury

Apparently we are 'Team Balanced Breakfast'. Oh yes.

16. Traggey

Traggey

2D Art Reviewer

We've got a basic concept up and rolling and mesh work has begun! Excitement!

17. PROXY

PROXY

Model Reviewer

I knew this combo wos going to happen sooner or later. Really excited what you guys are going to fabricate :D

18. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Code Moderator

Wow that's going to be an insane combo.

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

It's like 2009 all over again... Rising_Dusk & Jigrael joining forces.

I actually, for a picosecond, entertained an idea of joining. But ignoring all the not-Time I have, I really don't have the skills for a real Modeling Contest (much less something I can't phlub like "Familiar"; "Leader" is a big deal).

So I'll just sit back (like usual) & enjoy.

20. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

That Direfury-Traggey teamup. I'm crying T.T
    Jokes aside I'm really curious about what you guys will make.