• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modern Warfare

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: TriggerHappy
My first map!

Take command of a military base and fight your way towards your enemy!

Quite a few custom units await your orders, each with its own unique attack. Start with a small base and a general, and conquer small towns for resources ( collect gold from supply stashes - tents ). The big food limit allows you to field a numerous army, composed of infantry, vehicles, tanks and aircraft. I'm also planning on adding a navy in the future.

*Map details* - for the patient enough to read my stories

The map is split equally in two by a river. There are 2 bridges which you might consider guarding once you take control of your half. There are 4 locations with big supply stashes (20000 - 25000). They are too well-defended at least in the early part of the game. In the center there is a neutral base packed with valuables and enemies. It is a hard choice how you are going to take it on - or land or from the air.

There are plenty of infantry units for the early game, as well as officers that can support your troops with auras and abilities. Support weapons: bazookas, mortars and the first vehicle - jeep, armed with a good machine gun can give you the edge in certain situations. As soon as you build a Tank Company you have access to mighty tanks - a lot of HP, good armor and good firepower, as expected. Choose wisely between the types, as each allows for a different type of combat based on their speed: Light Tanks for flexibility and quick response, Heavy Tanks for full-scale assaults or Medium Tanks - for those who want 2 in 1. You will also gain access to Trucks, which are an excellent substitute for workers - they can transport both troops and resources with great speed. The Airfield gives you the possibility of building aircraft, perhaps some of the most powerful units in the game. Form dreaded squadrons that can overwhelm enemies with their firepower and speed, or send troops behind enemy lines using the transport aircraft.

Terrain editing is not great as I am not very good at it ( I still need practice ), but it is enough to make the map appear not too flat. The map will have a quick-paced gameplay - I've tried it of course, and you will reach top tier units in a short amount of time. However, spend your resources carefully!

As I didn't have the patience to learn how to make a building limit for the Supply Drop Zone, I will say here: my recommendation is a maximum of five - there is enough gold to collect from supply stashes and lumber is well, all around you. Apart from that there aren't any rules... you can apply your own if you wish to.

Quick tip: Air Force is very powerful, especially the fighter because it can shred infantry with its machine gun and it cannot be touched by tanks. Therefore, do not hesitate on building AA guns - they are a life saver, or an even stronger air force. I tweaked this unit already but I await your feedback on whether it is still too powerful.

If you'd like to make other maps with these units, the don't hesitate - I'd love to try them out!

Thanks for taking a look at my little project. Just remember - it's my first one :)

Good luck on the battlefield!
Contents

Modern Warfare (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Not sure about the terrain balance since everything seems here and there and not really symmetrical. From the start, one can see it's only Warcraft III material. The custom part is very shallow. Defense Engineer has the same icon as the Engineer and...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Not sure about the terrain balance since everything seems here and there and not really symmetrical.
  2. From the start, one can see it's only Warcraft III material. The custom part is very shallow.
  3. Defense Engineer has the same icon as the Engineer and they have the same icon. Same: Infantryman, Sniper and Machinegunner. These three also have the same model.
  4. Morphine (Holy Light) even mentions the Undead and the living...
  5. Long Rifles mentions Riflemen.
  6. The Sniper has a mediocre range for its role and not much longer than the other two Riflemen which both have very fast attack and 500 range. Same with Captain. Similar with the Fighter and Bomber. Likewise Bunker and AA the AA Gun.
  7. Full Mobilization and Chainsaws have the same icon.
  8. Mortar Team looking alike with Bazooka Team.
  9. The hero and the Major have Flame Strike.
  10. All tanks look alike, it's confusing.
  11. All tanks have Barrage.
  12. Units should have roles not almost be copies of each other.
  13. A Bunker that deals heavy damage instead of at least also protecting units? Why is it a bunker then?
There's nothing modern about this but maybe the concept.
Please learn from proper altered melee maps:
How to: Create a Full-working Custom Race
Custom Race Creation: Advanced Mechanics
UB - Ultimate Battle v2.20b AI+
Deforestation of Felwood v2.1.1
Nightborne v1.04
Planetary Domination v2.04
Sands of Time [v1.9]
The Grand Citadel (Racial Issue 1.6)

Or from this one since it's pretty much maybe what you wanted to do:
Tiriath Civil War - Telgarde

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Last edited: