1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The SharpCraft World Editor Extended (WEX) has been updated for the latest Warcraft 3 version: Download.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join Music Contest #7 - Location! Craft a song that depicts any place.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 - Leaders has begun! Artists group up and struggle! May the best team lead the run.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. 'The Icon Contest #15 has started and Melee units await for their new abilities!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Advanced Tech-tree contest #1 poll! Cast your vote now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. 'The gothic theme has yielded great textures! Come and check out the results for the 26th texturing contest.
    Dismiss Notice

Modeling Mini-Contest #5

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by HappyCockroach, Feb 14, 2017.

1. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

06b.JPG
    Art by vidagr.deviantart.com

Familiar

Contestants are meant to model a pet familiar unit - which is a secondary companion - to a hero of their choice among the ones existing in WC3.
    Theme Disclaimer
    Before you ask, here are some considerations regarding the theme:
    • One Warcraft III Hero must be necessarily chosen to which the familiar will be assigned conceptually. That means you can choose one Hero out of the following:
      • The 12 melee race heroes
      • The 8 tavern heroes
      • Campaign heroes (Jaina, Sylvanas Windrunner, Admiral Proudmoore, Malfurion, Thrall, Archimonde, Akama, etc)
    • Two or more entries may be submitted with the same hero as base.
    • The Familiar is an autonomous unit - that means it is completely separate from the Hero's model. (They aren't attachments)
    • Familiars may or may not be aggressive. May or may not cast spells. Etc.
    • Familiars may or may not be summons. (They may be non-summoned companions)
    • A familiar may be of any nature - organic, mechanical, elemental, ethereal, spiritual, and so on.
    Also, consider a familiar is a lesser unit. So, even if it's up to you what to do, try to keep it simple.

[​IMG]
    1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
    2. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
    3. To qualify for entry, you must post your model, along with any necessary textures to it, in the Resource Section as a bundle and link to it through a post in this thread confirming the submission.
    4. You may make as many models as you want, however the bundle must contain only 1 version of it until the contest is over.
    5. The bundle must be submitted before the deadline is reached.
    6. You will be disqualified in case your submission bundle contents are updated after the deadline is reached and before the contest results are out.
    7. You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
    8. Your model must have these minimum animations:
      • Stand
      • Walk
      • Death
      Other animations are optional. Some are highly desirable:
      • Birth (Very commonly familiars are summons)
      • Attack (Only necessary if the familiar attacks)
      • Spell
    9. The bundle may contain the following additional (and optional) models:
      • 1 Portrait Model
      • 1 Missile Model

[​IMG]
    • First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
    • Second Place: 20 reputation points
    • Third Place: 10 reputation points

[​IMG]

• 80% of the final score shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
      • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
        • 10 points for mesh (polygon distribution, anatomy, topology)
        • 10 points for animations* (correct motion, physical accuracy, adequacy)
          • *Or how well were blizzard animations applied (how adequate is the choice, and how unexpected is it. Is the resemblance to the original too obvious? And are there any glitches?)
        • 10 points for skin* (definition, shading & highlights, warcraftishness)
          • *Or how well blizzard textures are used (how different textures go well together in color, resolution, and how unexpected is the choice. Does it have too many seams? Is is blurry?)
        • 5 points for mechanics (how well does this model work ingame)
        • 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, ribbons, events. their quality and measure.)
          • When the judge concludes effects aren't totally applicable to a specific entry (in case the entry lacks effects, but doesn't need them), the criterion's weight may be reduced until 0 by him. In this case, the maximum score is reduced to until 45 to that entry. (Being 45/45 the same as 50/50)
        • 10 points for creativity (how adequate to the theme it is, how coherent/consistent is the idea, how creatively thought it is)
    • 20% of the final score shall be determined by the percentage of votes on a quick public poll (1-week-long only).
      • Such poll should permit users to vote in at most X entries, where X is:
        • One third of the number of total entries, rounded to the closest number.
        • No more than 3.
      • Users are able to see the poll votes before voting, in case they prefer.
    [​IMG]

The contest shall begin on Wednesday, February 15th and conclude on Sunday, March 19th, 11:59 PM, 2017 GMT.
    • The only extension possible is under the following conditions:
      • In case there are less than 3 entries when the deadline is reached, the deadline is suspended. When a third entry is uploaded, the deadline is set to 24 hours after its submission moment.
      • If there are less than 3 entries 2 weeks after original deadline was reached, the contest is closed and only the 20 reputation point award is given, to all valid participants.
    [​IMG]

Tell us if you want to judge!

[​IMG]

Participants and their respective entries should be listed here as they enter.

Contestant Entry Base Hero WIP's
    Direfury Geist Death Knight WIP 1 - WIP 2
    Stefan.K Salamander Beastmaster WIP
    PROXY Nightprowler Demon Hunter WIP 1 - WIP 2 - WIP 3
    HappyCockroach Mescalito Shadow Hunter Concept 1 - Concept 2 - WIP 1
    The_Silent Concept 1
    Hayate Snow Mountrilla Mountain King WIP 1 - WIP 2
    Freddyk Goblin Bookworm Gul'dan WIP 1
    Traggey Baby Gryphon Courier Mountain King WIP 1 - WIP 2 - WIP 3
    Kyrbi0 Mojo Mask Shadow Hunter WIP 1
    Mike Batty Tichondrius WIP 1

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. Direfury

Direfury

Sounds fun, I want in.

3. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Cool contest!

So, I get that 'familiar' is supposed to be the pet or animal companion of spiritual nature from googling it. And it actually has a lot to do with witch craft according to Wikipedia and other sites. But this is the first time I've heard of the term, and I think I'm not the only one.

Why not just title it Pet Companion for familiarity? (pun intended) But yeah, either way is fine. I'd just personally prefer pet companion.

4. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

I'm in (for watching lol I can't model). Exciting!

Ah dannae, SCN; I'm pretty familiar with Familiars. ; )

5. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

I guess I'm in, too. I'll go for some elemental that goes with the death knights, but we'll see.

6. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Nice theme, I will be cheering all contestants. Also, if I find a good idea and an appropriate amount of free time I might also join.

PS: also for another mini-model contest I would suggest "Faction Tower" with 3 tiers (Like vanilla human one)

7. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

Could be, too. I'm doubtful myslef, and I find Pet Companion a bit silly, while Familiar seems more plausible in WC3 context. A pet companion to the Lich, for instance, would sound a bit off. :p

And I saw the term Familiar in a handful of different games already. But not a big issue to have it changed if there's a general preference towards it.

8. The_Silent

The_Silent

Model Reviewer

It is generally just a mages companion, usually an animal. Not always animals though, In dnd psion has floating mind crystals as "familiars", necromancers has been known to have skeletal or "patched-together" familiars, and then there is homocoli which is mini-golem like humanoid creatures the mage themselves create out of clay (as far as I remember), ect. Dnd is a pretty good source of inspiration.

9. PROXY

PROXY

Model Reviewer

Nathrezim Spy (dreadlord). Don't know if I'm going to go with this one.

Attached Files:

10. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

A very undefined concept art of what I'm to do. :p

concept1.png

What I know is that he'll be Shadow Hunter's companion, and its name should be Mescalito :)
    It's a mix up of things I've read and seen, and I think the spirit of a hallucinogenic desert plant would fit quite well the SH. I'm still to give it a clearer shape, atm it is ugly.. xD

11. Roland

Roland

Can't wait for pets of my Favorite Heroes! Make a baby wolf with bags on his sides <3
    /Sub

12. Direfury

Direfury

I'm thinking of doing some sort of undead Attendant for the Death Knight. It's gonn' be great.

13. The_Silent

The_Silent

Model Reviewer

Here is my concept, corpse / item gobler with giant eye for eye-rays and / or scouting.
    Just call it Gobler for now.
    Gobler

upload_2017-2-16_15-42-33.png

14. Hayate

Hayate

I have no idea what wanna make, perhaps a "toolkit machine" for tinker or a "walking ward" for troll

Maybe i should try to make a snow gorilla for mountain king haha

15. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

Some refinement in my concept:

upload_2017-2-21_11-58-43.png

I'll think up some behavior for him while the SH is in Big Bad Voodoo :)

To what hero will that little creature be familiar? :3

16. Direfury

Direfury

I think I've got a base model all set up, that I'm actually happy with.

[​IMG]

I think I'll be building off of that whole thing the Scourge does with the undead. Since apparently, Ghouls and the like are mutated corpses. Figure I'll take that a bit further with the Skinwalker.

17. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

Looks good :) Maybe shorten his legs.. if he's more gnome-like it gives more the feel he's a minion to another unit.

18. Direfury

Direfury

I intend to have him crawling about, practically on all fours.

19. Hayate

Hayate

will using custom texture destroy the meaning of "simple" ?

20. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

3D Modeling Moderator

Not at all! You might been wondering that because of the sentence "Also, consider a familiar is a lesser unit. So, even if it's up to you what to do, try to keep it simple". That refers to the concept. If you do an overly complex character as familiar, with too much detail, it might not fit so well, since it is a secondary unit.

But you're free to use custom textures, custom animations, etc. (We only don't have as much time as a regular contest, since it's meant to be more fast paced)