• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #21 - Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a little pointer to jigrael/tarrasque.

me and anarch just thought it was a lion rather than a bear. the face is almost def a lion and bears aint digitigrade as well

just wanted to point that out before you furthered your design

I'm... Sorry? D:
I understand that it's all about artistic representation and such, but... This seems to be stretching it a bit too far? I have nothing against it, Jigrael's models are wonderful, and I can see why it would correspond with a Rook; But I mean, this is like making a werewolf and calling it a Knight because they both resemble animals.

Although, I admit I didn't really make the connection between "strong, firm" etc and a rook at first because I was slightly tired.
Moving on please?

ok. this is how i explained to kwah and he seemed to understand it enough well. and i dont think he even cared for the model contest.
black-rook-shield-md.png

the shield above is NOT a rook. it doesnt even look like any sort of tower. HOWEVER, it does have that characteristic crest that rook pieces have. it is also a shield which means it is sturdy like a solid building/tower. therefore, even though it may NOT be related to rook in terrms of what it is, it is a good representation of a rook, both visually and functionally.

now. a werewolf. a generic one will definitely not pass for a knight. for obvious reasons. but if the person were to design it in a way that visually relates to a knight, then i would say it is a representation of a knight.

please dont tell me we are going to have to spoon feed you and explain to you how each visual/functional aspect might relate to the chess pieces.

PEOPLE WERE NOT SUPPOSE TO MAKE LITERAL CHESS PIECES. they could if they wanted to. but that is fucking boring

Level 31
seriously? first I though you guys where joking. Its just as Pyramidhe@d is saying. Basically I didn't know what to do because I didn't want to make something obvious to represent a chess piece. Although yeah perhaps I'm stretching it a bit too much, but seriously we are here to have fun doing what we like and at the same time give back some nice resources to the community. So quit being so serious about it.

And yeah its a lion, I meant like a polar bear just in the texture, just the color choices.

Level 49
ok. this is how i explained to kwah and he seemed to understand it enough well. and i dont think he even cared for the model contest.
black-rook-shield-md.png

the shield above is NOT a rook. it doesnt even look like any sort of tower. HOWEVER, it does have that characteristic crest that rook pieces have. it is also a shield which means it is sturdy like a solid building/tower. therefore, even though it may NOT be related to rook in terrms of what it is, it is a good representation of a rook, both visually and functionally.

now. a werewolf. a generic one will definitely not pass for a knight. for obvious reasons. but if the person were to design it in a way that visually relates to a knight, then i would say it is a representation of a knight.

please dont tell me we are going to have to spoon feed you and explain to you how each visual/functional aspect might relate to the chess pieces.

PEOPLE WERE NOT SUPPOSE TO MAKE LITERAL CHESS PIECES. they could if they wanted to. but that is fucking boring

I thought I made it clear the confusion has passed and I don't need any further explanations or any bullshit like that in my post. Apparently not.
So I'll say it again: It's okay, I got it. I know what you're getting at. I know what you mean. I don't need you to explain. Good? Good.

seriously? first I though you guys where joking. Its just as Pyramidhe@d is saying. Basically I didn't know what to do because I didn't want to make something obvious to represent a chess piece. Although yeah perhaps I'm stretching it a bit too much, but seriously we are here to have fun doing what we like and at the same time give back some nice resources to the community. So quit being so serious about it.

I was indeed semi-joking, but I also seriously wondered how "rook" immediately brought up the image of a polar bear wearing blue strips of leather in your mind. I could not see the relation because it was late, and I was tired. Nonetheless, the next day I apologized(I guess) and I think I made myself clear I understood everything and I don't need any further tutoring.

Can we please move on? This is just spamming the thread now. I just commented on the guy's model, jeez. :/

OK ramblers, let's get rambling.

attachment.php

Badass!
I want to see that baby finished. :D

EDIT: Oh, btw, I love how no-one gave me shit about the guy who made Arthas with a spear and called it a "bishop", but everyone's giving me shit for being confused about Jigrael's entry.
Prejudice? Maybe. Coincidence? Perhaps. Nonetheless, I hope this is the last post in this thread regarding this theme.

Level 26
EDIT: Oh, btw, I love how no-one gave me shit about the guy who made Arthas with a spear and called it a "bishop", but everyone's giving me shit for being confused about Jigrael's entry.
Prejudice? Maybe. Coincidence? Perhaps. Nonetheless, I hope this is the last post in this thread regarding this theme.

... you're trying to be a judge. can you see how that in any way makes a difference?

Level 18
I just can't stop doing the bishop =.=

Well i can't stop animating it.. and HappyCockroach said that i can upload the entry again :D This is the fifth wip then(gonna make it the final entry if i don't have any more time :/)
attachment.php

THIS IS the FINAL entry, not updating it anymore

Attachments

• WhiteBishop.rar
    60.6 KB · Views: 101
  • asdfgasdf.png
    asdfgasdf.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 997
Last edited:
Level 22
WhiteRookScrnsht4.jpg

i think i could make a stained glass axe (i´m not really sure)

----- CURRENTLY -----
·575 vertices
·12 anims from GolemStatue, HeroDreadLord, BeastMaster and Wendigo.. (all of them will be slightly edited)
·team coloured
·No sounds, no particles, no footprints

criticism will be appreciated

Texture on the head is damn creative :D
Those are jetpacks?

Level 20
Epsilon, make them rockets. If they are tied with chains, who's that they don't fall? Make them touch the ground, or add some magic levitation, or rocket-fire.

Level 18
Work Complete!

The Black Knight is complete (Although there is some static bone animation)...
Tested in game (and it works fine to me)...
There's no DISSIPATE/DECAY FLESH/DECAY BONE animation for this model...

Attachments

• ModelContest#21_Complete.png
    ModelContest#21_Complete.png
    312 KB · Views: 692
  • BlackKnight.mdx
    81.4 KB · Views: 183
  • BlackKnight.blp
    88.2 KB · Views: 175
Level 20
The model at the right (without legs) seems more 'consistent'. Those rocky legs doesn't seem to match the other unit skins.

Looks awesome! be sure to make those 'rockets' float or something :D

Level 26
Spartipilo: i thought that concrete legs fit with the brick base.. anyway, i´ll look for another texture....
and yes, the rockets float!

anarchianbedlam: actually, legs morph into the chess base and viceversa in morph animation..

everybody: model now has footprints, sounds, portrait camera and death particles.. now i just have to add attack particles and make a projectile!

Level 31
@Dio: With tatoos, the other looks a bit naked
@anarchianbedlam: I like the version with legs

Ive left too much time pass by, time to start. This is my wip, 710 triangles, I'm trying to keep the polygon count low.

Now that I see it, looks a bit like a gnoll.

Attachments

• Crusher.jpg
    Crusher.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 266
Level 5
Since no one else has done it yet, I've chosen my "chess piece" to be the "chess board". Here is the dev process, with explanations of what I did in each step.

STEP 1: Here is my initial concept - not just a regular chessboard, but something greater than a mere two-dimensional battlefield. Notice how the King and Queen can both stare at the opposition over the heads of their troops, and can assume a position above the battlefield as if they are commanding their soldiers in a similar way to a game of Warcraft 3:
21n3z86.jpg

STEP 2: Since I'm new to modeling, I'm going to base my model off a standard Blizzard model, then pimp it to the max:
url]

STEP 3: The first thing that needed to be done to the model was to give it a complete texture overhaul. I made some modifications, and here's the WIP halfway through the process. I got hungry after all the work so decided to make myself a tasty sandwich. Ham, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and salt were what I put in it. It was a really wholesome sandwich and tasted delicious. Here's the WIP:
url]

STEP 4: After I'd finished my sandwich I made another one. It was just as good as the first. After that, I resumed work on my model, and managed to get the skin to the required level of detail that I was striving to achieve. Notice how it now actually resembles a chess board:
url]

STEP 5.1: As you can see in the above pictures, the Blizzard model doesn't possess the required 8x8 squares of a standard chess board, so I set about making some heavy modifications to their model as follows in WIP3 and WIP4:
url]

STEP 5.2: After working out the initial "copy, paste & flip," I still didn't have the required number of squares on my chessboard, so had to select the entire model *again* and repeat something roughly similar to the jump from WIP2 to WIP3.

It was quite tricky getting the wrap correct, but I managed to achieve a very similar "multi-leveled" effect for the chessboard in WIP4 to the chessboard in my initial chess board concept (see above):
url]

STEP 6: WIP4 was very close to the final product I am aiming to deliver, so with a few minor tweaks and a bit of polishing here and there the final render of the model came out like this:
url]

STEP 7: Here's a screenshot:
url]

Goodluck to all the other contestants - really epic models going down in this competition! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.