• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #15 - Colossus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
small update
oh...and I guess it will get Keeper of the Grove anims :>

Attachments

• minotaurcollosusguywip2.JPG
    minotaurcollosusguywip2.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 261
Level 26
lol devine is making a castle robot xD.

As a side note, since these are colossal units, i thought it would be cool if the colossus had a special animation, like a "finisher" or "ultimate" move/spell. something epic for an epic boss model.... iono if you guys want to do it. But i think it would be a nice addition. (ill put one in mine at any rate)... iono if that would apply for mr.bob.... a building cant really have an "ultimate" spell anim....OH! shit, i just realized - "Contestants are to make a unit that has the feel of being "colossal"."will you still accept mr.bob's building? D:

Level 31
lol devine is making a castle robot xD.

As a side note, since these are colossal units, i thought it would be cool if the colossus had a special animation, like a "finisher" or "ultimate" move/spell. something epic for an epic boss model.... iono if you guys want to do it. But i think it would be a nice addition. (ill put one in mine at any rate)... iono if that would apply for mr.bob.... a building cant really have an "ultimate" spell anim....OH! shit, i just realized - "Contestants are to make a unit that has the feel of being "colossal"."will you still accept mr.bob's building? D:

Just because something can't move, it doesn't mean it isn't a unit. Plus, this model is NOT to be built. It is to be summoned. For instance, the build anim has all the pieces coming down from the sky, as if it were warping into the atmosphere. :D

Thanks for the rep btw! (That goes for everyone who gave me rep lol...)

And I am glad you guys like it! While, I probably won't use it for the final model, I will eventually upload it in the model section.

OH and one more little tiny detail about the model...uh...it has...uh....

4600 polys....

D:

my model will get around 1200-1600 I guess because I'm simply not a fan of overdetailing which would reduce my judging points :D

you knew this contest was just an excuse for everyone to go crazy with polys, right? well for me, mr.bob and anarchian anyhows

oh yeah. anyways, i was doodling/concepting and i dont know how big a colossus is meant to be.
this is the approximate size of my dude.
size.jpg
do we have a size limit? like too small and it doesnt count as colossus and too big and it does fit in one screen without changing camera

Level 11
Crap. Crap crap crap. I started work on my model after coming up with the concept last night, made most of his head, then found out I can't save it because I havent registered Milkshape on my laptop. Is there any way to register with milkshape still open so I dont lose it? Also, is there any way to find out my registration stuff online? I already have it on my home computer, but that's quite a few miles away.

Level 11
I can't find anywhere on their site for me to just send them my email and name for the code. It's been over 4 years since I registered mine.

While I'm figuring this out, tho, no one take my giant dinosaur with cannons idea, k? :p

Level 26
oh ya.... thats a great idea pyritie... lets add a poly limit. Hrmm.. in fact we better add a kb limit too so people dont go TOO crazy... OH! i know... lets make the poly limit 10 and the kb limit 5.... no particle emitters either, that takes up too much space. But imagine how good you would have to be to make a 5kb 10 poly colossus. yup. great idea. why make an epic model and actually strive to make something worthwhile or incredible when you can create a mediocre 5 second critter and just scale it 50x?

Level 31
oh ya.... thats a great idea pyritie... lets add a poly limit. Hrmm.. in fact we better add a kb limit too so people dont go TOO crazy... OH! i know... lets make the poly limit 10 and the kb limit 5.... no particle emitters either, that takes up too much space. But imagine how good you would have to be to make a 5kb 10 poly colossus. yup. great idea. why make an epic model and actually strive to make something worthwhile or incredible when you can create a mediocre 5 second critter and just scale it 50x?

Well.. A model with 15k polys would be a bit much wouldn't you agree? Limits can be a good thing.

And pyramid, I think that's a fair limit. But, the judges will need to use common sense based on the type of model. Or, where they put all the polys.

Lastly, lord-t, 2k is nothing...

Gah...I am tired of performance Nazism. But, at the same time, polycounts can get out of hand.

Level 26
No, Poly limits ARE stupid because if you really dont want us to put that many polies into a model then leave it to the judges to downrate him for using too many polies... I am wholeheartedly against using too many polies when you DONT need them. But seeing as this is a COLOSSUS contest, you will need more polies to make a smooth edge, you dont want this to be a "make anything you want and scale it up" contest do you? otherwise all the entries will be blocky and look like shit. And no... im probably not going to make a 10 THOUSAND poly model.... i was joking. but even when i joke apparently poly-nazi rears its head and roars. :/ anywho id like to think we can trust the judges (whomever they may be) to make sound decisions regarding poly use. No superfluous polies, everything should be deliberate and carefully placed.

EDIT: for example. the model im making of a giant fighting robot currently has about 460 polies for 1 complete arm (full finger articulation, weapons etc.) so 1000 give or take for both arms roughly estimating another 1000 for both legs... needless to say it will definitely be under 10k.... maybe even optimistically under 7000

Level 31
No, Poly limits ARE stupid because if you really dont want us to put that many polies into a model then leave it to the judges to downrate him for using too many polies... I am wholeheartedly against using too many polies when you DONT need them. But seeing as this is a COLOSSUS contest, you will need more polies to make a smooth edge, you dont want this to be a "make anything you want and scale it up" contest do you? otherwise all the entries will be blocky and look like shit. And no... im probably not going to make a 10 THOUSAND poly model.... i was joking. but even when i joke apparently poly-nazi rears its head and roars. :/ anywho id like to think we can trust the judges (whomever they may be) to make sound decisions regarding poly use. No superfluous polies, everything should be deliberate and carefully placed.

EDIT: for example. the model im making of a giant fighting robot currently has about 460 polies for 1 complete arm (full finger articulation, weapons etc.) so 1000 give or take for both arms roughly estimating another 1000 for both legs... needless to say it will definitely be under 10k.... maybe even optimistically under 7000

Lol calm down...

The trouble is, there are only 15 points for mesh. So, if I make a model with 40k polys and everything else is perfect, I would still get a pretty good score. Even though, it would be very laggy. A limit also sets a mindset rather well. If your model is under 7k, what do you have to worry about? I'm sure Py won't make the limit any lower than 8k or so. We don't want things to get to ridiculous here...

Level 26
Well i HAVE to overreact because pyritie ALWAYS overreacts when it comes to poly limits. I have to balance his extreme "poly-nazi" with my extreme "i actually want good models-nazi"... dont get me wrong though, i love pyritie, he mods lots of stuff and is invaluable and is always nice and stuff..... its just the poly nazi stuff im worried about

Level 31
Well i HAVE to overreact because pyritie ALWAYS overreacts when it comes to poly limits. I have to balance his extreme "poly-nazi" with my extreme "i actually want good models-nazi"... dont get me wrong though, i love pyritie, he mods lots of stuff and is invaluable and is always nice and stuff..... its just the poly nazi stuff im worried about

I really don't think Py is going to make the poly limit ridiculously low. Even if he wanted to, there are too many people against it. I think we are safe for now. lol.

Level 31
I really don't think he will go all Performance Nazi again on us. I have faith in him. D:

Makes me wonder just how crappy his computer is though.

Py, can we have your computer specs please? Do you turn shadows on in WC3? lol...

Nah, in all seriousness though, I really don't think he will go against the will of the people this time.

I'll be back tomorrow night, guys.

Level 26
Lol calm down...

The trouble is, there are only 15 points for mesh. So, if I make a model with 40k polys and everything else is perfect, I would still get a pretty good score. Even though, it would be very laggy. A limit also sets a mindset rather well. If your model is under 7k, what do you have to worry about? I'm sure Py won't make the limit any lower than 8k or so. We don't want things to get to ridiculous here...

you would also got downrated in mechanics, because it might happen that the game does not flow smoothly with a poly OVERKILL :D

And btw: I guess if we add a poly limit then it should be around 5k because that's ~the count of WoW models.....

It better not be below 5k..otherwise...I'm in serious trouble...D:
I was thinking of making it 10k. I don't want to limit people's creativity or anything, but at the same time I don't want people to get carried away, you know what I mean?

Your sarcasm is greatly appreciated!

Remember when Py started the minicontest because the result of the theme poll was
not the theme he wanted to make?
Also its Cavman who started this contest... not sure if Py actually would have started this one.

Actually I've just been busy handling other stuff in the arena nowadays and since I've hosted a whole bunch of past ones I figured I'd let someone else do one for a change. Besides, who do you think moved this thread to the arena? ;P

Level 26
Mulgrin, For the modeling contest, It is currently not an official rule but some members were discussing enforcing a polycount for these models. Currently they were thinking about making it a 10,000 polycount limit, so people would not polyspam the fuck out of their model submission. Currently, you will not get a lower score or be downrated on your submission if it has a lot of polygon data. BUT you WILL be marked down if you have superfluous polygon data. Every vertex and face on your mesh should be deliberate and have a purpose for ascetic or function.

and DvO that looks awesome rofl as soon as i saw the thumbnail i thought "TAAANK"..... followed quickly by "BOOOMER!" because boomers are halarious. good lookin wips so far everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.