• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #13 - Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
k thanks for the constructiveness anyway.

But:

a) Pyritie, there is a lot of construction meshes....... No need to make a little man walk around with a hammer. lol

b) Um, what is wrong with ingame textures? When I say "not other people's work" I mean models. This is indeed a model compo is in not? I see no filesize improvements from geomerges. Textures is a completely different area of work. Using ingame textures reduces the filesize by a ton. Geomerges are just pre-made models that you slap together and say it is your model. No offense to anyone. Textures are a different area of art. Filesize is an issue. But enough about this. Geomerges are good for some, just not for me. End of story. No need to look down on anyone or anything because of it. D:

c) I really see no problem with the birth anim. It has all the meshes for construction....

SO! Instead of downrating the lack of really high poly little men walking around, go into the model editor and check out the interior of the building. XD

Besides, I don't see any of you designing an entire animated work force for you model. So shush. :D In other words, talk about the actual model. Not the lack of uber high poly animations...

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
b) Um, what is wrong with ingame textures?
Nothing. He's just saying that there's no distinction between in-game textures and in-game meshes. Two different kinds of art, but both are still art. You're not scratch modelling or hand-drawing either if you're Geomerging.

And here you say:
Mr. Bob said:
No need to look down on anyone or anything because of it. D:
But yet notice here (emphasis added, for emphasis xD)
Mr. Bob said:
Geomerges are just pre-made models that you slap together and say it is your model.

Mr. Bob said:
c) I really see no problem with the birth anim. It has all the meshes for construction....

SO! Instead of downrating the lack of really high poly little men walking around, go into the model editor and check out the interior of the building. XD

Besides, I don't see any of you designing an entire animated work force for you model. So shush. :D In other words, talk about the actual model. Not the lack of uber high poly animations...
? We're not asking for a "high poly little man", onor a "team of workers", nor "uber high poly animations". Have you seen stuff like the Orc build sequence? It features the scaffold-things, the tent-flap-things, the dust, and, what's this? A single hammer, moving up and down. Heck, it isn't even present during the entire animation; it appears in one place for a bit, then moves. Is that so hard to ask for?

NOTICE: I'm not saying that the success of your model should ever depend on something this inane or tiny. In fact, while I have yet to download your model (maybe never :<...), I have full confidence that it's a well-made model with lots of cool stuff and good saving of polies and blah blah blah.
But take some criticism once in a while; we're not asking for crazy-mega-poly enhancements. No need to go off the deep-end. :p

Level 31
AHHHH!

/me runs from the mob!

Kirbio, there is build meshes. I am not talking about what you are asking. I am talking about what Skrab and Mechanical Man was talking about. As for the geomerges, I view the two different things as completely unrelated. But, it is a matter of opinion.
Let's end this now. You are all right, and I am right. It is a matter of opinion. Now, no more of this.

CONTINUE THE CONTEST! :D

I am anxious to see more WIPs. : )

Level 26
Dude, Mr.Bob, geomerges help SO much. the other day i took a look at your building just to see how much space could be saved and i geomerged the geosets with all the same materials from like 130 geosets into 6 geosets and the model went from 200 kb to about 130 kb it was ridiculous it wasn't even funny. THAT IS A 70KB DIFFERENCE!

Level 31
Dude, Mr.Bob, geomerges help SO much. the other day i took a look at your building just to see how much space could be saved and i geomerged the geosets with all the same materials from like 130 geosets into 6 geosets and the model went from 200 kb to about 130 kb it was ridiculous it wasn't even funny. THAT IS A 70KB DIFFERENCE!

No no, that is geosets. Not geomerges. Geomerging is taking pieces from existing WC3 models and putting them together.

What you mean is combining meshes. But, consider that all of the uncombined meshes are following the same tragectory.

Geomerges, are just models with existing wc2 anims and meshes.

: )

Level 31
You are talking about literally merging the existing (custom) geosets present in his model to save space.

He is talking about disliking geoset-merging, which is taking in-game geosets/textures/anims and creating a model from it.

Correct. Although, it doesn't have to be textures to be geomerging. (The one I am talking about.) lol

Anyway, if everyone likes this model, I will not make another. So far, people seem to have a rather low look on it. Not sure why though. If anyone has any detailed serious complaints, please inform me. I need to know what to look for. D:

Level 31
I´m not sure if I will finish my building or if I even continue working on it. so I could offer myself again :>
but this time I would judge faster :p

YES! You are a good judge! I vote for DonDustin. You should also get Kim or something. Someone serious lol. TDR! TDR is good because he doesn't care about the person making the model. Only the model itself.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Mr. Bob said:
Anyway, if everyone likes this model, I will not make another. So far, people seem to have a rather low look on it. Not sure why though. If anyone has any detailed serious complaints, please inform me. I need to know what to look for. D:
I don't think you'll find anyone complaining about you making more models for public use. :p I certainly wouldn't (on the off-chance that you make something useful for me xD).

No, TDR wouldn't be a good choice, since then almost everyone will get 0/x points.

I was experimenting with textures a bit, some are just provisory, as you see, is not yet finished.

Attachments

• halfassed.jpg
    halfassed.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 233
For the love of god Mechanical Man, change the texture of your castle! D;

the model is really awesome, but Purple isn't an awesome color D:

:p

Well, purple is the main color for dark elves. And if I make a human building then ppl keep saying how it isn't original D:

Although certain wankers awesome people already told me how it isn't gothic and not fitting enough, a jbg.

Actually bob, you don't have to, there are two versions now, one with the normal length and all, and another one that is compact and intended for wc3 building use (rather than the first one which is a doodad).
models_6847_screenshot_tnb.jpg

See, the left one is a compact version that fits into CRYPT pathing map perfectly, and another one doesn't fit really anywhere, but it's intended to be used as a doodad and such.

The compact one is also about 2/3 the normal one's filesize, thus more useful for bnet maps (it's around 80kb, and another one is around 125).

I've attached both versions in the post above, and are also avalabile in the model section, though compact one is named NecroStrongholdFinal_Portrait.mdx

Well, if anyone wonders (JUDGES READ THIS), NecroStrongholdCompactFinal.mdx (in the zip attached above) is my final submisson, while NecroStrongholdFinal.mdx is for those who want a doodad.

Hope it clears some things up :p

Level 31
TO THE MODS: My final model entry is indeed the Chinese temple. Thanks for all of your suggestions etc.

TO ALL: I am having some technical difficulties with my laptop. (It is a piece of crap.) So, until I can get a hold of a new one to use during work and all, I am not going to be able to carry out my WC3 work. I know I have a really HQ desktop of home, but I am rarely around to use it. So, for now, I will lay low for a while. Sorry.

When I get a new laptop, I will be back 100% again.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.