• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I would prefer to not reinvent the wheel.
However, since it is self-made, it technically counts as work done before the contest, no?

1. It's about content. You are supposed to make a new MAP.
Systems are usually generic code that is reuseable, hence useable in more than 1 project.
Also, if you need the system, what, are you gonna write it new instead of copy & paste?...
As long as you don't copy actualy spell content or terrain from dreamvale I don't see the issue.

2. The judges can't even check this, so why are you scared.

1. It's about content. You are supposed to make a new MAP.
Systems are usually generic code that is reuseable, hence useable in more than 1 project.
Also, if you need the system, what, are you gonna write it new instead of copy & paste?...
As long as you don't copy actualy spell content or terrain from dreamvale I don't see the issue.

2. The judges can't even check this, so why are you scared.

We're not on 24/7 you know.

Besides it would be unfair to not allow it unless it was a coding contest.

Edit: If you guys took the time to read back one page/page 40 and looked near the bottom of it you'll notice eubz already answered your questions before you asked them.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
damn, it's already june 14 . And my regular class schedule will begin on monday, i didn't know if i can finish my map :( .
I already complete the terrain and some triggers , but now, i'm busy in some stuffs ...

1. Deadline extension is always open.
:)

by the way, how's the progress guys? I see less people posts updates. just keep this thread alive :)

Level 25
:)

by the way, how's the progress guys? I see less people posts updates. just keep this thread alive :)

I've got most of the bugs sorted out, so now I'm focusing on content.

16/30 waves done so far, and then a few more spells before balancing it all with a few playthroughs.

Since the replay (for obvious reasons) didn't work I used some crappy trial versions of Fraps and AVS Video Editor.
I had to increase the light to make it remotely watchable. Sorry for hideous quality.

Looks good so far. I like the ability indicators.

Level 25
well, i'm kinda new here. so i don't know how to upload a picture with an "image to see" instead of "download to see"

1. Click manage attachment in the new post screen.
2. Attach your image
3. Ctrl-click the image to open it in a new tab
4. Copy the URL of the image
5. Put this URL between [image] tags.

EDIT: The screenshots in your linked post are .tga files, which most browsers don't see as images.

Use a program like IrfanView to convert your .tga screenshots into a more common file type, like .jpg or .png

Last edited:
Level 25
I'm all for a deadline extension. They don't usually help all that much as the people who weren't going to make it to the deadline have already given up on their maps, but there's usually at least one or two extra entries and some more polishing on the other submissions.
I guess the icing on the cake is when we get disqualified for not showing WIPs.
There was never an updated post with all the WIPs in previous contests. This just seems like an added bonus for people not keeping up with the contest to be able to see how progress is going (since the contest led to sooo many pages). There's plenty of evidence showing you and whoever else submitted WIPs :prazz: Although it would still be nice if eubz updated the post within the next day or so.
I found another bug! Version 1.0.0c has been added which addresses it, as well as providing a few more minor tweaks:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2534048-post428.html
I just tried your map, and I really like the concept. The need to move your runner keeps things interesting between tower building. That's generally the time when other tower defenses get a little boring and laid back. It would be much more entertaining if your easter eggs served an actual purpose, like clicking Mr. Ribbit unlocks a speed boost at a certain point in the runner's path or something. Or you could include runes that randomly spawn to give bonuses and cause the player to have to aim to run through a certain path if they want the bonuses.

Level 25
So I've just figured out how to make and edit weather effects (credit to this thread) while trying to remove the angle from the ashenvale rain to keep it in line with the water spawning.

Probably going to write a quick tutorial of it, but basically you just edit TerrainArt\Weather.slk using Excel. You can add new lines and codes for new weather effects.

Now I'll be adding directional wind (with added leaves!), which will affect projectile motion.

I am pretty sure people need their extension so I am okay with it and suggest it to be extended a bit as well I hope your able to join us with judging Bannar.

When the contest ends and you don't see your entry there maybe instead of making a fuss over it, just PM me or eubz or Daffa. Will need the link to the original WiP post though of course.

I have decided to redo my contest entry, here is my first new WIP;
4iyide.png

Status
Not open for further replies.