• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Anchors, because we can.

Anchor.jpg

Gave up with the doodad generation for Interaction instead. Here's a scene that would show about 10 mins into the game. There will be a filter so that the flames won't look that lame ingame.

222907-albums5913-picture84877.png
222907-albums5913-picture84876.png
222907-albums5913-picture84878.png

The flames look more badas in the WE/ingame. :/

You need to start using anti-aliasing! The edges look too sharp/ blocky. You also can use Bloom & HDR for glow and reflections + color adjustments. :)

Level 14
Here is a new WIP from me, started working on the gameplay a bit.

The first two heroes im working on; the Crusader and the Technician have a full unique skillset, and its already huge amounts of code.

Spawning systems and Unit hierarchy is kind of finished, and I'm working hard to finish these hero skillsets, and probably make a playable demo.

cql3Zop.png

74071d3.png

5nFWunF.png

I know that unit scaling and the shadows are a bit off, but I will adjust that later.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Oh wow, they look very realistic :p Nice work!

Level 25
I'm struggling to get the ancient protector's ranged attack animation without having it appear to be rooted (and vice versa with getting a melee attack while I want it rooted).

In the "rooted" animations, the legs are hidden and the root is shown. Is there a way to edit the animation to not hide the legs during this animation?

What I want to do:
1. Import copies of both attack and attack alternate animations into the model
2. For attack alternate copy, hide roots and show legs
3. For attack copy, hide legs and show roots

EDIT: Looks like I'll be able to eventually work my way through all the nodes using Magos.

Last edited:
Level 25

- You can't turn while stopped, but the angle still changes while you hold down left/right, so when you move again your camera instantly sets to that angle, which can be disorienting.
- It wasn't very obvious how to buy a different car, and there isn't really any time to read the tooltips to pick one while you're busy racing.
- Camera becomes off-centered when near to the map bounds.
- Camera height changes when going near cliffs.
- Turning sometimes seemed to simply not work. If this is some effect due to e.g. going through a bush, you need to add some SFX to indicate this.
- Camera stays behind when you use leap.
- End the game properly instead of just a game message.

The use of arrow keys really damages this map. The turning is awkward and has no precision. You should consider adding a mode where you can use right clicks to set your facing angle, and making the camera face down a bit more.

Level 9
Here's another WIP. The systems are pretty much in place, all that's left to do is to design the heroes and creeps. I'd love some feedback if anyone has the time to give it a look. Once again, you need to type "start" after selecting your hero to begin.

@rulerofiron99 I might be able to put together that ancient for you, it's just a bit complicated since the legs aren't animated for the Attack Alternate animation, so you have to transfer the leg animation from the normal attack and fuse it with the rock throwing of the upper body. No promises, but I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Attachments

• MicroDefence_v0.2.w3x
    318.2 KB · Views: 66
Level 25
Here's another WIP. The systems are pretty much in place, all that's left to do is to design the heroes and creeps. I'd love some feedback if anyone has the time to give it a look.

Going to take a look now.

EDIT:
- Fountain encourages players to simply camp in the center of the map and not do anything else. To survive the second hero spawn I kited him around the fountain while getting the felhounds to block the path between me and him while my mana recovered to use Battle Meditation. I suggest you only enable the fountain in the downtime between waves, otherwise the whole game is just camp by the fountain. I saw you made various spots on the terrain, but the way it is now I don't see a reason to use any of them.
- Spells have quite a high mana cost, so most of the game was just right click and watch.
- Does the difficulty scale with more players? I played singleplayer and got absolutely wrecked. Got to 20 minutes left on the clock before being overwhelmed.
- When you come back from Battle Meditation, your health resets to what it was before casting.
- The small ship doodad below the fountain is a pathblocking nightmare.
- Periodic spawning of creeps allows you to just sit in one spot and kill them as they come, so no much playing to do. I suggest you split creeps into waves.

Right now it's too early to give really meaningful feedback, except that everything is very generic, which will obviously change as more content is added. I'll take another look once you've added more heroes and creeps.

@rulerofiron99 I might be able to put together that ancient for you, it's just a bit complicated since the legs aren't animated for the Attack Alternate animation, so you have to transfer the leg animation from the normal attack and fuse it with the rock throwing of the upper body. No promises, but I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

I would greatly appreciate that. I'm just worried if this could be considered teamwork or not. @Judge: Would this be allowed?

If all else fails; I have been poking a bit deeper in the node manager in Magos, and have so far figured out how to have one of the 4 small roots of the ancient's root animation not appear.

Small steps :)

Last edited:
Level 9
Going to take a look now.

I would greatly appreciate that. I'm just worried if this could be considered teamwork or not. @Judge: Would this be allowed?

If all else fails; I have been poking a bit deeper in the node manager in Magos, and have so far figured out how to have one of the 4 small roots of the ancient's root animation not appear.

Small steps :)

Thanks! What you want to do with Magos is look at geoset animations instead of the nodes. I threw one together below, but it has some problems as you can see.

Attachments

• Wrong.png
    Wrong.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 128
  • AncientProtectorEDITED.mdx
    279.9 KB · Views: 54
Level 25
Thanks! What you want to do with Magos is look at geoset animations instead of the nodes. I threw one together below, but it has some problems as you can see.

See edit above for my thoughts so far.

I'm pleased that the melee attacks are working while rooted.

Wow, this geoset animation thing really does make it simple, many thanks! Now just to figure out these remaining problems... notepad here I come.

Level 23
I am interested in participating in this contest but do not know how to participate, please someone help me, I read the topic most do not know how to participate

I think it is crystal clear how to participate.
Post WIPs of your map, then make a post with a final entry. Just upload your map (unprotected)

Good luck, you have 11 days left

I am talking to the judges, mods and admins now:

Since the number of the contestants is enormous, and I believe that judging won't be finished by the end of the summer, can we start another contest while the judging is in process and not yet done?

By the way, I am looking for people to help me by testing my entry with me. If anyone is interested, answer here, VM or PM me :)

I am talking to the judges, mods and admins now:

Since the number of the contestants is enormous, and I believe that judging won't be finished by the end of the summer, can we start another contest while the judging is in process and not yet done?

By the way, I am looking for people to help me by testing my entry with me. If anyone is interested, answer here, VM or PM me :)

Any sort of help is not allowed. That would be cheating to win.
Edit: 32 Contestants are participating in this contest. That is huge number for a community at this time. It will take a long time to judge all of those maps. This could actually be even prolonged if many more people join.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Any sort of help is not allowed. That would be cheating to win.
Edit: 32 Contestants are participating in this contest. That is huge number for a community at this time. It will take a long time to judge all of those maps. This could actually be even prolonged if many more people join.

I thought testing is allowed but not helping with f.e. making tutorials or making a trigger for other's map.

Isn't testing allowed? How can I know if my multiplayer map works properly if I cannot test it?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Ofc testing is allowed.. so I've heard

Level 25
Testing is by no means cheating.

As per the example above: if you're making a multiplayer map, how on earth are you supposed to know everything works unless you play it with other people, in other words test?

If you're going to cheat, it's cheating, plain and simple. This rule doesn't even slightly implicitly provide a loophole to "cheat".

Testing is by no means cheating.

As per the example above: if you're making a multiplayer map, how on earth are you supposed to know everything works unless you play it with other people, in other words test?

If you're going to cheat, it's cheating, plain and simple. This rule doesn't even slightly implicitly provide a loophole to "cheat".

But it leaves tons of opportunities to cheat via a friend of helping you. In a process of "testing". Jass New GEN Pack has a self-emulation single-player testing tool imported to help players test. Testing in my opinion can have multiple ways of going to cheating unwillingly. For example I can have my friend "test" the map and give me suggestions, ideas and other examples- he even may edit the map to implement the ideas he wanted. That means you wont find out if he is cheating/helping or testing..
Judge should also judge the map based on mistakes and playability.

Edit: You should look up- term "helping" or "help".

Status
Not open for further replies.