• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
But it leaves tons of opportunities to cheat via a friend of helping you. In a process of "testing". Jass New GEN Pack has a self-emulation single-player testing tool imported to help players test. Testing in my opinion can have multiple ways of going to cheating unwillingly. For example I can have my friend "test" the map and give me suggestions, ideas and other examples- he even may edit the map to implement the ideas he wanted. That means you wont find out if he is cheating/helping or testing..
Judge should also judge the map based on mistakes and playability.

Edit: You should look up- term "helping" or "help".

I can't get the JNGP (or vanilla) multi-loader to work, so I did my initial multiplayer testing over two PCs, but I'm fortunate in that since I have a laptop as a second PC. This type of testing doesn't have any use when it comes to the game's balance. If the map requires a moderate to high APM, it's impossible for average gamers (like us mappers) to properly play through it to ensure a balanced experience. The only conceivable method is to play the map with others.

Balancing the numbers using spreadsheets can help, but many abilities and features are simply too complex to account for using such methods.

Helping by providing advice and such is basically encouraged. Much of this thread has been contestants uploading maps and others commenting.

I don't consider that cheating, and I'm sure the host/judges see it the same way.

If your friend edits the map for you then yes, that does become cheating.

There are many more instances where cheating can be done secretly, so I don't really see your point in bringing this up in this context. You could easily have your friend make the whole map for you and you just upload it and some WIPs to the thread, and there is no way to verify authenticity.

But let's remember, the point of these contests is to have fun making a map with a theme in a given time frame. If you're so caught up in winning that you aren't even making a map yourself, then you're missing out.

Is that all? You wrote a comment to tell me that I am wrong? Yet I had my opinion, you did not even wrote an explanation on why it was wrong.

He really doesn't need an explanation, the rules are exceedingly clear.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

minor_burn_treatment_l5xd1_2qfr4.jpg

Testing seems fair to me, and I am near 100% sure your friends wouldn't have identical coding/triggering as you genin32. It's simple, follow the rules.

Near 11 days left =)

Lots of time to finish or even start up something. Amazing entries and WiP's by the way guys, looking forward to it. Don't know who'll win this time.

I am talking to the judges, mods and admins now:

Since the number of the contestants is enormous, and I believe that judging won't be finished by the end of the summer, can we start another contest while the judging is in process and not yet done?

By the way, I am looking for people to help me by testing my entry with me. If anyone is interested, answer here, VM or PM me :)

I am sure we will be fine, though that is a good idea.

To everyone who is still optimizing their maps;
Please don't forget to submit your final entry unprotected.

Edit: I am sure the other judges would appreciate this as well, in the trigger editor/section where If you used someone else's work for it could you please put it into a folder named something like not made by you?

Since the number of the contestants is enormous, and I believe that judging won't be finished by the end of the summer, can we start another contest while the judging is in process and not yet done?
Well, In that case we need new judges for the the contest. I'm sure it won't be a problem.
However, according to last contest. This contest was made long after the last contest entries were finally done.

I say, let mods and admins decide.

Level 21
Eternity Spire Wip#2

This video was a testing of the first kinetic fusion (of five fusions total), Telekinesis, against the tenth floor boss of the Eternity Spire. Every ten floors is a Confrontation (boss level), and all other floors are random floor types with generally weaker enemies which increase in power based on the floor level.

I still haven't decided how I'm going to spruce up the interior terrain, but I'll probably just generate a few destructibles and traps with each new floor based on how much time the gameplay is taking to set up.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31

This video was a testing of the first kinetic fusion (of five fusions total), Telekinesis, against the tenth floor boss of the Eternity Spire. Every ten floors is a Confrontation (boss level), and all other floors are random floor types with generally weaker enemies which increase in power based on the floor level.

I still haven't decided how I'm going to spruce up the interior terrain, but I'll probably just generate a few destructibles and traps with each new floor based on how much time the gameplay is taking to set up.

Our forces are under attack!

Looks interesting, I'll play that even though I am not a judge. :D

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33

now that looks fun, tick!! I like it so far, you have maintained decent visual, new, fun and interesting gameplay, and also cool music and sound effects. I can't wait to play it :D

based on video, I have a suggestion:
make the boss a bit smarter. It looks not really challenging when we know we can easily win the battle by circularly running around the arena while attacking the boss. I know the boss you have showed above has charging ability, but that's still not enough for me, still looks too easy.

And also, I have a question, how can we move to the next level? is there some kind of ladder/stair that we must find out?

but anyhow, I dont really like any map that uses keyboard movement. because you know why, keyboard movement sucks.

Level 25
now that looks fun, tick!! I like it so far, you have maintained decent visual, new, fun and interesting gameplay, and also cool music and sound effects. I can't wait to play it :D

based on video, I have a suggestion:
make the boss a bit smarter. It looks not really challenging when we know we can easily win the battle by circularly running around the arena while attacking the boss. I know the boss you have showed above has charging ability, but that's still not enough for me, still looks too easy.

And also, I have a question, how can we move to the next level? is there some kind of ladder/stair that we must find out?

but anyhow, I dont really like any map that uses keyboard movement. because you know why, keyboard movement sucks.

^ My thoughts exactly.

The awkward circle running should in part be resolved when he adds traps and map elements.

Kazeon

Level 33
My last update will be on next saturday. Going to be a lil bit busy this week.

I'm focusing to improve the visual and optimize the triggers on this update.
I have tried to improve my photoshop skill last week and here is the result.
attachment.php

I know it sucks so just dont laugh at me :)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 244
Level 25

attachment.php

Quite the contrary, I like the changes.

Some suggestions:
- Customise the menu buttons to fit the same colour scheme as your multiboard (blue instead of yellow)
- Use custom text/images instead of floating texts for the "Hit!" indicators. There's a tutorial somewhere on how to do it, I'll see if I can find it and link you to it.
- Put some waves on the water's shore line. There's a doodad that just consists of waves, so put those around the edge, and maybe make some sort of system to show/hide them as the water rises.
- Get rid of that bright red block at the bottom-left-center!

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Oh damn, what's the reason for reinstall? Is it corrupted :/

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30

attachment.php

I thought of an idea that I think you'll like, but I can't VM you so I'll tell you here -

You said you thought the map would be boring if the camera didn't move, but everyone complained about the rotating camera.

Maybe consider this:

Split your camera problems into two categories: functional and non-functional.

Functionally there is a problem that if you make a rotating camera it can be uncomfortable for players. What if the map would "smart" zoom in and out to fit all the characters on the screen, like in smash brothers? You could adjust some smoothing values to make it unobtrusive.

Non-functionally, you have the problem that a static or slowly zooming camera can get boring after awhile - here's an idea, if your character dies, make the camera rapidly spin/shake/zoom around/to your character (this has the added effect that players can easier understand when/why they're dead)

I'm still reading through this thread although I'm done. Best of luck to everyone, and good luck beating my flawless creation :p

Level 25
I just want to remind everyone joining the contest: when making your trigger system and you must choose between a shortcut and doing it properly, DO IT PROPERLY!

I'm now undergoing the tedious task of fixing up the projectile system to make it easier to add different missile types. The way it is now, I need to bloat it up with several if/then/elses whenever I add something.

Level 14
I just want to remind everyone joining the contest: when making your trigger system and you must choose between a shortcut and doing it properly, DO IT PROPERLY!
^
This! I agree with this very much! I scrapped maps many times because it turned out that if i want more functionality, i had to start from the beginning. Also if you tend to have too repetitive triggers, and you decide to change something (balancing for example) you will have to change the trigger in many places, when using an extra variable could solved all the headache.

Sadly there is a downside of this; I want to keep my systems functional and generic, which leaves me less time to work on visuals, and content. Probably this is why I couldn't come up with a playable WIP yet, and its only 9 days remaining :/

Level 21
I have a question, how can we move to the next level? is there some kind of ladder/stair that we must find out?
The left, right and top gates open after a floor is completed. The doorways are color-coded as a way of selecting the difficulty of the next floor unless it's a boss level. You totally just sparked an idea for hidden entries to secret treasure floors :eek:

I'm now undergoing the tedious task of fixing up the projectile system to make it easier to add different missile types. The way it is now, I need to bloat it up with several if/then/elses whenever I add something.
Same :xxd: I make that mistake every contest, and then I end up struggling when I go to add more content or even make minor adjustments. The karma of laziness. I should go fix some of mine up now before we get into our last week of the contest...

Kazeon

Level 33
but I can't VM you so I'll tell you here
enjoyed my profile, huh?

You said you thought the map would be boring if the camera didn't move, but everyone complained about the rotating camera.
I have revived the camera rotation in the next update, but it does rotate very slowly.

Functionally there is a problem that if you make a rotating camera it can be uncomfortable for players. What if the map would "smart" zoom in and out to fit all the characters on the screen, like in smash brothers? You could adjust some smoothing values to make it unobtrusive.
I don't clearly understand because I haven't played "smash brother" before and don't even know any of it. But maybe I will zoom in the camera when a player is falling down to the water, I think it's quite funny. Nice idea there. :) thank you

btw, I got a question here:
why I can't edit these buttons through gameplay interface?
attachment.php

and
how can I edit a model's footprints like illidian? can I edit the spawn rate too?

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 145
Level 23
Maybe. But RPGs are sucking me in too much. I've even downloaded RPG maker and started fiddling with it. So there very little chance of me going back to my entry. :p

btw, I got a question here:
why I can't edit these buttons through gameplay interface?
attachment.php

and
how can I edit a model's footprints like illidian? can I edit the spawn rate too?

You have to overwrite it like the rest of the UI. Path is UI\Widgets\Console\Human\human-console-buttonstates2.blp

and you'd have to edit the model to do that OR you can trigger it by spawning units. But i'd rather do the first one. (referring to the footprints thingy.)

I got too lazy to continue the map, so I'll be dropping out. Good luck people.

I shoud shoot your ass for that!
More screens.
TBH if this doesn't get me accepted into the contest, I don't know what will.
What kind of game will it be, puzzle? (I'm sorry if I missed some posts containing information).

Level 25
More screens.
TBH if this doesn't get me accepted into the contest, I don't know what will.

eubz said he'll go through the thread to update the OP again on Friday/Saturday. He'll definitely add your entry at that point.

There should be a way to add it in a model editor (I don't know how). What I would try is to delete all the vertices in the Illidan model, making it basically invisible, and hopefully leaving the footprints.

Level 25
It's about time I give you a wip.

This one only shows some pretty basic features I implemented. Hope you enjoy it :)

It features:
  • Movement
  • Missiles
  • Falling
  • Shields
  • Items
  • Smartcasting
  • Unit composition

Hope you like it, I'm open for all reviews :D

- Make your map name more descriptive! My folders are filled with "MMC.w3x" from you.
- (minor) When moving your camera down, the arena block disappears before being moved out of your vision completely.
- Your smartcasting works *very* well. I didn't see any delay.
- Cool model/unit composition. Maybe make the cannon more visible, and if possible not rotate instantly.

Solid system so far, I'm keen to see if you do anything interesting with the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.