• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Oh wow, looks gorgeous! Love the whiteness, how did you make the background of unit portraits also white? I though they could be only black..

About future extensions, I doubt that.
I'm pretty sure the concurrent is enough, if there's a need for additional extensions, I doubt it will be more than one week anyway. According to last contest, there are 2 extensions, the second one is only 2/3 days addition to the first extension.
And remember, make sure to be quick as extensions are meant for completing your entry :)

Level 13
Hey, I just want to let you know that the funmap event is in a few hours.
It is perfect for those people who want to test their multiplayer entry.

Announcement Note

Date of appointment: 22nd of June (Sunday) 4pm CET (UTC+2)
Meeting Channel: #inwc.de-maps-FA (quakenet irc)
Hosting bot accessibility: Battle.net Northrend, Azeroth

Countdown

Just join this channel when the event begins (it is probably empty at this moment).

Level 25
Work is progressing steadily.

Looking for feedback on an icon edit I've done for the Slam ability:
attachment.php

It's Pulverize, with leaves from the Ancient Protector's skin, squished to about 80% of horizontal size, with the "effect" trails extended a little using colour picked + brush in Gimp.

Attachments

• treeslampreview.jpg
    treeslampreview.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 334

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Quite the contrary, I like the changes.

Some suggestions:
- Customise the menu buttons to fit the same colour scheme as your multiboard (blue instead of yellow)
- Use custom text/images instead of floating texts for the "Hit!" indicators. There's a tutorial somewhere on how to do it, I'll see if I can find it and link you to it.
- Put some waves on the water's shore line. There's a doodad that just consists of waves, so put those around the edge, and maybe make some sort of system to show/hide them as the water rises.
- Get rid of that bright red block at the bottom-left-center!

oh sit! I didn't read your suggetions D:
some of them have been accidentally added, I will add the other if I have time and interest to update it. But currently, I'm working on another project :D

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Can you send me the system code, I could take a look at it

Level 2
So, I have used the hive workshsop a lot but registered a very little time ago. Stilll dont know exactly what to do but I want to participate in this contest. I have a cool little ideea that idk how original is but I am almost sure it will be fun to play(only hope can do it in time, and also vry few ppl have done it). What do I need to do to participate?

Level 23
So, I have used the hive workshsop a lot but registered a very little time ago. Stilll dont know exactly what to do but I want to participate in this contest. I have a cool little ideea that idk how original is but I am almost sure it will be fun to play(only hope can do it in time, and also vry few ppl have done it). What do I need to do to participate?

Well this contest ends on june 30 so unless you can create something in less than 5 days, I don't think you could/should join. Maybe you can wait for another contest to come up. :)

Level 2
Well, if I tell you 5 days is more than enough you are going to realise its not too complicate or pro(and that I am NOT too good with the world editor). I will do my best at making the map and just keep updating untill then.

All I will do is improve the map and try to make some AIs, (multiplayer is basic), doodads, etc.

Image coming up relatively soon. (few hours if i dont get interupted) Thanks for the help! Well... Lets see what will come out of this!

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

eubz is right ;)

Bah, I still have 5 days to create credits and fix the score system. Should be enough :D

oh, no teamwork? SO ROTTEN RULES

wait im not even participant why do i care..

Kazeon

Level 33
@rulerofiron99:

Main Features:
- Custom projectile system. Boulders fly in arcs as they would under gravity, bounce off the ground with reduced momentum, and collide with trees and units.
- Custom hero skill upgrade system. When you level up, you are presented with a randomised choice of 6 (can be increased) skills, ranging from actives to passive to modifiers for other abilities. This allows the one hero type to grow into many different roles, classes and playstyles.
- 20 waves spread across 30-45 minutes. Different enemies have different behaviours and objectives. Peons will attempt to directly attack and harvest the trees, while Grunts will seek out and destroy you. Many enemies have unique abilities.

I'm sorry but we can't call them as "features". You should not mention basic systems of your game as features. yes, that missile system is very basic system of your entry. For the second feature, it's okay, I can categorize it as "feature". But not for the first and third one. Third feature is more like the "gameplay" of your game. You should prefer to mention your minimap as "feature" more than your missile system. Feature is everything that enhance the gaming experience and which can excites your players.

For example, I did not and can not mention my slide movement and missile system for my entry because they are the basic systems which builds the gameplay of my entry. I will be more likely say something like "intense combat and gameplay" or "supported with AI" as features so that players are interested to play my game.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Review

I was excited with your cinematic for the first time I saw it. The environment looks cool. But for the game, I can not truly enjoy it. It's full of features, but, the gameplay is dull for me. I can't do much when those peons attacked me. I don't know is that because this game should be played by more than one or two players. I can't test it in multiplayer due to unavailability of AI and friends to play with. I wont give comments for your systems. But if you want, I will say that they are nice, flawless, and seems bugless. But they are indeed should be nice, or they would completely ruin your gameplay.

And then, how can I win the game?

Additional points:
- I suggest you to add option for players to skip intro cintematic or not.
- The protector often did not created for me after I choose the difficulty. And I need to restart and re-watch your cinematic which is so annoying. I can't give more review because of this bug.

Review made based on last version of your entry.

Level 25
@rulerofiron99:

Review

Thanks for the feedback.

>Features
Here I was just mentioning main gameplay differences with regular warcraft, and I didn't mention something like the minimap since it has no impact on gameplay. You do make a good point, so I'll probably rewrite that.

>Cinematic
Can be skipped by pressing Esc at any point during it. I'll add a message mentioning this.

>Protector not being created
That sounds like a bug. Was it created after waiting a bit longer? Did you attempt to put computer players in the game?

>How can I win the game?
I don't really understand what went wrong - you say that you can't do much when the peons attacked you, do you mean you couldn't kill them? (Boulder minimum range is intended; kill them using melee attacks or thrown trees) Please clarify.
The gameplay starts dull, yes, but as you level up you get more abilities, and subsequent waves have units that require different tactics to beat. In a way, the first few rounds are intentionally dull to serve as "training" for new players to get used to it.

During my testing with friends, I've had to remove or change many mini-features in order to make the game more fun, since some of them simply weren't working. If you can point out one or two (or all) of the gameplay aspects that you think don't work for this map, please do tell.

Thanks again for the review.

Last edited:
Level 25
@rulerofiron99:

okay, but fix that bug first. What I can say for now is that I can't do much in melee combat. Or maybe, I just dont know what to do.

Btw, why I can't skip your cinematic?

Have you tried pressing Esc? It works every time I try. The only issue I can think of is that you are filling the lobby with computer players, so make sure you play alone.

In melee combat, just right click the enemies. I've removed the attack button to make more space for additional abilities. If you're up against a lot of enemies, pick up and throw a tree at them, or learn the Slam ability.

Level 25
Always account for, and ignore, computer players for things like this ;)

I'm sure I did account for them in the trigger, but it's something I haven't tested yet so it's the only possibility I can think of.

EDIT: Just had a look, the problem is definitely lobby-added computer players. Time to ignore them properly.
EDIT2: And fixed. Thanks to Dalvengyr for finding this bug.

I won't be able to add AI. I barely have enough time to finish the rest of the stuff on my to-do list, and making bots that can effectively throw boulders without destroying half the forest will prove difficult.

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
pick up trees then we lose faster? since we must defend dat trees

I know, ancient protector indeed supposed to have slow movespeed, but imo, that's kinda annoying for your game.

I suggest you to work on AI though.
making bots that can effectively throw boulders without destroying half the forest will prove difficult.
I know, but not only for AI, it is also hard for players to aim the boulder at enemies without hitting trees, right? Because, honestly, I dont care about trees as long as the boulder hits my target :) so you don't need to worry so much about that. And you know how important is that AI.

Level 25
There is an upgrade for faster movement, but I will buff the starting speed a bit.

The idea is that as you get more seeds, you'll shape the forest in whatever way that suits your playstyle.
e.g.
- Boulder-focused players will put all the trees in the middle, leaving the area around the forest open for easy boulder throwing
- Melee-focused players might make a maze to funnel the creeps into killing zones
- Summoner players could use trees as walls around their ranged units

Picking up trees vs saving the trees is just another decision you must make, based on what you think is a higher priority at that point.

Besides making accurate AI, it would also have to be good at picking abilities and performing strategies.

I just did another playthrough, and my list of things to do is growing faster than it is shrinking :p
The recent addition of NPC allies (elves) makes the game feel very much alive at later levels, even just in single player.

Congrats on 600+ rep :)
I think you should improve melee damage... I mean, a 5 meter tall tree should pretty much annihilate a peon in a single blow, shouldn't it? Given the slow attack and movement speed, I definitely vote for damage increase.
Have you ever played LotR:BfME? Maybe you could take a look at large creatures' attack and see what I mean :D

Level 25
Congrats on 600+ rep :)
I think you should improve melee damage... I mean, a 5 meter tall tree should pretty much annihilate a peon in a single blow, shouldn't it? Given the slow attack and movement speed, I definitely vote for damage increase.
Have you ever played LotR:BfME? Maybe you could take a look at large creatures' attack and see what I mean :D

Hehe, thanks.

Yeah I think I'll do that, and balance it out by increasing the number of enemies.

I did play BfME a long time ago, so I don't remember quite how it looked. In Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, big units would often pick up and toss smaller units across the map as part of their melee attack.

Level 16
And map should be finished! Finally added the last boss, changed around on some items and fixed some bugs.

Made final entry post a while back but here is link again for anyone interested.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/arena-253012/?prev=status=p

Might (Hopefully not) still contain a few bugs, hope it's okay if i fix those after the deadline, if i find any.

...big units would often pick up and toss smaller units across the map as part of their melee attack.

That's what air units, such as Eagles and Fel Beasts, do.
On the other hand, big units usually slam one target, dealing high damage to it, and knock all other targets around them into the air and away.

Try somewhere around 0:40, pay attention to the Trolls :)

Level 14
Hey guys sorry I'm just not done yet, I hope its fine with you. Since I don't know the final entrie time I hope it's ok if I will post my entry tomorrow or latest the day after tomorrow. (I started rather late with this contest unfortunately... :/ )

All the best to all competives

Imago_ said:
So define me "You have more than a week to finish your entries". It's like anything between 8 and 13 days. I just wanted to tell that I'll try to upload my entry asap.

Post #1 said:
The contest shall begin on Sunday, 18th May 2014 at 6:00 AM and conclude on June 20, 2014 6:00 AM June 30, 2014 6:00 AM GMT+8
Deadline extended due to public demand. You have more than a week to finish your entries

There you have the deadline.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Well if it ends on June 30, 2014 6:00 AM GMT+8, and now for me it's June 29, 2:41:49 p.m.(GMT + 2:00) so I'm guessing there's 15 hours left.. oh there isn't, remove six from that amount so it must be...

9 hours left

edit: oh ruler already answered that.. well at least we got the same result :p

Last edited by a moderator:

So...

Project ORB

Introduction
Essentially, this is a knockout arena with shooting elements. Try to shoot your enemies, knock them out and use items to your advantage!

Features
Smartcast system
Unique game mechanics
Smooth white design
Innovative custom combat
Advanced movement
Useful items

Short manual
At the beginning of the game, each player selects two things: a sphere and a cannon.
Sphere determines the number of Shields your orb has and the Acceleration.
Cannon determines Speed and Force of your missiles.
The Host selects a game mode: Score, Survival or Free.
The Host can choose to start the game at any time by pressing the Play button.
Then, the game starts. Navigate with right-click, shoot with R, pick up items and use them with Q, W and E.
Have fun!

Credits

Models:
UgoUgo - Shadow Assault
Mc ! - Laser
WILL THE ALLMIGHTY - Ground explosion

Music:
SoundEffectsFactory, a YouTube channel, for the song;
also, mp3cut.net for their online trimming feature.

Icons:
KnnO - Barrel
TheSilent - GaussRifle and PlasmaRifle
Mc ! - Orb
OgeRfaCes - BlackOrb and Blink
PeeKay - SphereOfWater
Hemske - LightningGlobe
JollyD - NatureSphere
bloodyroadkill - Supernova
Darkfang - WindShield
Zombie - Rocket
Elfsilver Lord - HiveEmblem
KelThuzad - SonicBlast
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All other resources are either scratch-made by me, or edited from Blizzard's original resources.
If I missed someone's resource, please contact me via PM so I can fix the mistake.

Current version: 0.92

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.