• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess I should post a wip... So, my concept changed, and I started from scratch, so I am a bit delayed :/ Anyway, take a look at this wip.

It's a clear part of a forest (in making).

TIP: You need to go in-game to actually see anything :)

Here's a suggestion, disable the minimap and show a fun image on It maybe.

Seems like a decent contest, but why and may I ask why, should terrain ever be weighted greater than triggers? Triggers may be the most important part of the map, second only to gameplay. Terrain is just makeup and artwork. Not saying its useless or unimportant but giving a triggers a weight of only 10 and terrain a weight of 25 is slightly bullshit in my opinion.

This is mapmaking which is similar to game making, think about it. Who would play your game if it had no *pretty* terrain to look at?

Edit: I didn't mean to type it so offensively guys. What I meant was that terrain does sadly play a big role in your game. Though I actually do agree that it should be a bit lower for this type of contest while triggers being higher in terms of marking.

@sigelang
Actually, you can use the paste bin but this is not suppose to be permitted because we are going to have a public poll as soon as the contest is over. Here, users will vote for their choice. One thing is that, the final entry should be unprotected maps, protected maps will lead to disqualification.

Ok sir, I hope people will not distribute the models to the public . :D

Seems like a decent contest, but why and may I ask why, should terrain ever be weighted greater than triggers? Triggers may be the most important part of the map, second only to gameplay. Terrain is just makeup and artwork. Not saying its useless or unimportant but giving a triggers a weight of only 10 and terrain a weight of 25 is slightly bullshit in my opinion.

Why? Because that is how this contest works.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33

as a coder, I totaly agree with him :p at least make them equal, have a same portion.. currently, terrainer has so much more advantages than coder to win the competition.. just think about it

my recommendation:
trigger : 15
Terrain: 20
Originality: 20
Gameplay: 35
Presentation: 5
Object data: 5

why? because presentation and object data are rather less important for a game, people dont care about it while playing the game. Gameplay is the most important thing for a game so give it more score, originality and trigger should have more points, they are more important than you think, okay terrain is important, but it just become unfair between coder and terrainer... (EDIT: remember it's just recommendation, I'm no one here and don't have the authority to decide things :) )

I don't think this will be possible.
that's what make it interesting :)

EDIT 2:
Triggers may be the most important part of the map,
that's not correct, terrain is much more important. but I was talking about fairness =)

as a coder, I totaly agree with him :p at least make them equal, have a same portion.. currently, terrainer has so much more advantages than coder to win the competition.. just think about it

my recommendation:

why? because presentation and object data are rather less important for a game, people dont care about it while playing the game. Gameplay is the most important thing for a game so give it more score, originality and trigger should have more points, they are more important than you think, okay terrain is important, but it just become unfair between coder and terrainer...

that's what make it interesting :)

This is good. What does everybody think about the proposed weight? Should this be adopted? We still have time for a change in weight of judging criteria.

Kazeon

Level 33
thank you
and
I have another suggestion: Terrain could be replaced with "Visual". That "Visual" will also includes terrain, used models, special effects, sound effect, UI, font, etc. You know some people love to play eye-candy maps with epic special effects or intense combat scene, so at least give score to it :)

thank you
and
I have another suggestion: Terrain could be replaced with "Visual". That "Visual" will also includes terrain, used models, special effects, sound effect, UI, font, etc. You know some people love to play eye-candy maps with epic special effects or intense combat scene, so at least give score to it :)

This is under Map Presentation/Design.

Trigger : 15
Object data is useless? srsly?
Perhaps Object data should get a little more weight and Gameplay weight less, more or less like :
Gameplay: 30
Object data: 10
But more or less shouldn't be an issue. It's not so much of a difference anyway.

How about this:
criteria
Map Presentation/Design10
Terrain20
Triggers/Efficiency/Performance:20
Object Data:10
Gameplay:30
Total100
Why 20? Terrain also plays a vital role in the game which affects the gameplay itself. Consider blockers. Also, terrain can hide some objects/units that might be part of the game. There might be some other useful events that terrain is useful.

EDIT
The Judging criteria of this mini-mapping contest is based here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/solo-mini-mapping-contest-7-a-214077/

You can also see the same judging criteria on mapping contest here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/paired-mapping-contest-6-deceased-207875/

Last edited:
I agree with you about the too many points on terrain. It's a 32x32 map, what kind of terrain do you expect? It should really be decreased to 10 probably and, as others said, it's better to raise the points on gameplay and trigger.

Would it be OK to be this:
criteria
Terrain15

How about this:
criteria
Terrain20
Total100
Why 20? Terrain also plays a vital role in the game which affects the gameplay itself. Consider blockers. Also, terrain can hide some objects/units that might be part of the game. There might be some other useful events that terrain is useful.

EDIT
The Judging criteria of this mini-mapping contest is based here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/solo-mini-mapping-contest-7-a-214077/

You can also see the same judging criteria on mapping contest here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/paired-mapping-contest-6-deceased-207875/

Would it be OK to be this:
criteria
Terrain15

Doesn't really matters which one, both doesn't grants to much issues.
But I prefer the second one, personally, how bout the rest?

Level 17

Its a map making contest not a game making contest --

Terrain is more important than trigger as terrain is visuals which is more pertinent to the MAP. Trigger's are not that important when it comes to making a Map, some maps have no triggers and work perfectly fine, just look at Vanilla Wc3, etc. Triggers are meaningless to a Map, they are what you make it.

Terrain exists in all type of maps throughout, if you were to give weight onto trigger it'd be unfair on maps that don't require complex systems.

Triggers being out of 20 is just silly tbh. Besides it meant to be basically be Triggers (Do they run smoothly), not Triggers ( How complicated are your systems how well can you code etc)
Tag games will have a lot less triggering then a hero war game, so why force a guy making a Tag game to add unwanted systems simply to tick boxes?

If anything i'd support this idea

---
Originality: 15
Map presentation/design:10
Terrain: 15
Triggers: 10
Object data: 15

^That's better. :)

And...

To all the people who said terrain is more important than the gameplay/trigger... ARE YOU F'IN SERIOUS!? It's like saying food that's prettier is better than food that tastes better.

Yes because triggers are not unverisally required, terrains are.

Terrain is more important than trigger as terrain is visuals which is more pertinent to the MAP. Trigger's are not that important when it comes to making a Map, some maps have no triggers and work perfectly fine, just look at Vanilla Wc3, etc. Triggers are meaningless to a Map, they are what you make it.
C'mom. Who wants a map without any triggers here? It's like the soul of each map!

Of course terrain is also very important, but it's no terrain contest. :s

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
some maps have no triggers and work perfectly fine

Then you should expect 10/10 for triggers, and 0/35 for gameplay, because if you're entering a melee map in a mapping contest you better do something pretty damn interesting.

Maintainability, performance, and readability are all valuable for maps across the board - that's software design.

Kazeon

Level 33
people just dont care about the trigger as long as the gameplay is good and has a good visual, that's why I suggest terrain still has a higher portion than trigger. People wont say: "Hey, the trigger is bad, I wont play this game" that makes no sense, while "Hey, the visual and terrain is so flat and boring, I wont play this game" it makes much more sense..

And I suggest that "Terrain" score is not taken from "how beautiful is the terrain?" but "how well the terrain fits the gameplay". because you just cant expect extraordinary terrain, as example, from a mini-game. deal with it

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
who cares about triggers, as long as the map functions as it should everything is fine. Terrain is how the whole atmosphere looks, environment, fog, shading. I would hate to see an empty 1 tile-set map with grass doodads plucked together. I think terrain should be 20 points while triggers 15. :/

WImDaA1.jpg

Level 14
The point of decreasing the points for terrain, is that the map size is 32x32, and there is not much to do with it. You cant really make breath taking landscapes in 32x32, instead people should focus on gameplay.

Anyways, if your map works properly, you wont get minus points in Triggers like Cokemonkey said. If you do less triggers with less bugs, its free ponts for you.
I dont understand why you want to lower your amount potential extra points anymore.

One last thing. You should notice that you are fighting over 5 points!!! Terrain weighting 5 points less wont make people do plain 1 tile terrains WTF

Level 17
Then you should expect 10/10 for triggers, and 0/35 for gameplay, because if you're entering a melee map in a mapping contest you better do something pretty damn interesting.

Maintainability, performance, and readability are all valuable for maps across the board - that's software design.

-- So why would Triggers be so high, its basically a scale from 1 to 10 how laggy is it.

Level 17
Maintainability, performance, and readability. If you don't understand that there's not much I can do.

This isn't a game making contest, this is a MAP MAKING CONTEST.

Enough said.
But anyway... terrain is still only for visuals. I doubt anyone will have fun with a minimap without putting effort into triggering.

And in your example: Triggers: 10 of 100. :eek: (while ObjectData is 15)

To be honest I thought Object data would be lumped with balance.

Alternatively use this criterion http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/mini-mapping-contests-farming-results-242020/

Level 17
What do you think a map in wc3 is? Something you draw land on for people to know directions and finding locations? =)

A map in wc3 is a game.

-- The difference is games are fully customization with no basis you can make one from scratch even have your own engine, that's why functionality is more important in a game. A map is a mod to an existing game, its still based on the same engine, so the actual room for coding is very small compared to the making of the game itself.

Its very difficult to make laggy triggers tbh, even with massive leaks a game can go on for an hour or so before you notice any FPS drop. Besides if your not using jass, then its extremely difficult to fail in GUI. Which is why triggers are less relevant.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
-- The difference is games are fully customization with no basis you can make one from scratch even have your own engine, that's why functionality is more important in a game. A map is a mod to an existing game, its still based on the same engine, so the actual room for coding is very small compared to the making of the game itself.

Its very difficult to make laggy triggers tbh, even with massive leaks a game can go on for an hour or so before you notice any FPS drop. Besides if your not using jass, then its extremely difficult to fail in GUI. Which is why triggers are less relevant.

Outrageous claims deserve outrageous responses, but I'll try and restrain myself.

You're wrong on every level.

Status
Not open for further replies.