• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Mapping Contest #16 - Mini RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Okay! I think I can make the first of March work. :ogre_haosis: Here's a question from someone out of the loop: Is this contest for a Reforged map or Classic, or does it even matter? And is there a way to use the classic world editor now that Reforged is out?

Okay! I think I can make the first of March work. :ogre_haosis: Here's a question from someone out of the loop: Is this contest for a Reforged map or Classic, or does it even matter? And is there a way to use the classic world editor now that Reforged is out?
I'm certainly not making my map in Reforged, but you can make yours in whatever version you want, as long as the judges are able to play your map. I encourage you to make it in classic though.

That's what I'd prefer since I'm more familiar with Classic. Is it easy to access the classic World Editor? I haven't tried yet, but it looks like it was replaced.
You click file preferences and then select it from there.

I would advise you to just download an older version, then delete the registry entries that the new patch makes. After that I would uninstall and Refund it. Oh well, I digress.

Level 3
Doing my second WIP. Abilities of the hero is done, made some terrain but I think I will need a teammate that wants to make everything pretty if this map is going to get any points in aesthetics. Made an intro I can show off here. Not gonna aim for best map, so I'm just hoping you guys will enjoy a fun map.

Doing my second WIP. Abilities of the hero is done, made some terrain but I think I will need a teammate that wants to make everything pretty if this map is going to get any points in aesthetics. Made an intro I can show off here. Not gonna aim for best map, so I'm just hoping you guys will enjoy a fun map.
Great, your WIP has been added to the WIP list! :)

Level 12
Alright, here's my first WIP image. I'm whipping out the map out quickly first and then fleshing out the more time-consuming stuff later. It's been a while since I've been excited about a project like this. I'm excited to participate!

Night Elf Village.png

Alright, here's my first WIP image. I'm whipping out the map out quickly first and then fleshing out the more time-consuming stuff later. It's been a while since I've been excited about a project like this. I'm excited to participate!

View attachment 346936
Your WIP has been added to the entries list!

Level 18
I lost 30GB of my 80GB month internet limit for downloading 1.32 ..
Wasn't able to open old Editor, so I uninstalled, and came back to 1.31.1. In this editor version I'm still making a map. Btw these 2 weeks are very fine for me, I was close to abandom this contest, but now its ok:) This weeken I'll send last wip. I hope @Edy will be able to look at 1.31.1 map?

Level 12
Hhhh... Here's my second WIP: Me wrestling with stupid bugs already. The map is basically laid out, and now I'm trying to get the hero's abilities to work. One of his abilities automatically fires when he learns the ability, but doesn't work at all when he actually casts it, and his lightning shield ability (based on Immolation) doesn't do any damage. I have no idea why bugs like this crop up, but I guess it's part of the map making process. I hope I can get them figured out soon!

abilities.png

Hhhh... Here's my second WIP: Me wrestling with stupid bugs already. The map is basically laid out, and now I'm trying to get the hero's abilities to work. One of his abilities automatically fires when he learns the ability, but doesn't work at all when he actually casts it, and his lightning shield ability (based on Immolation) doesn't do any damage. I have no idea why bugs like this crop up, but I guess it's part of the map making process. I hope I can get them figured out soon!

View attachment 347077
Your WIP has been added to the entries list :)

I'm starting to get close to finishing the map. At least in terms of technical functions, unit spawns, AI, items and everything else.

Stuff that remains:

One boss fight.
AI for 2 units.

Then balancing everything to make the experience enjoyable, and possible, without being too easy.

Other minor things:

Loading screen.
Boss fight music.
Hero attack/defense/primary attribute icons.
Descriptions and so on.
Polish and paying some attention to details.
Maybe introducing some traps and secrets if time allows it.

Would love to see some more WIPs or get updates from the rest of you!

I'm out, as blizzard decided to not let me play the game I bought 20 years ago (multiple times) after updating it to the new client. Sorry guys.
I'm sad to hear that. If you need help reverting to a previous version and/or deleting pesky registry shit that was introduced in the newest patch you need but reach out and I will help you :p

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I'm out, as blizzard decided to not let me play the game I bought 20 years ago (multiple times) after updating it to the new client. Sorry guys.
If you need help reverting to a previous version and/or deleting pesky registry shit that was introduced in the newest patch you need but reach out and I will help you

Reforged - Reforged screwed me over again! *Solved*

Warcraft 3 Legacy Installer (1.21b - 1.27a) Warcraft III legacy installer (marcraft)
[Need Help] Back to 1.29 1.29.2 archive (tommi gustafsson)
Patch 1.30.4 Backup Game Files 1.30.4 archive (tommi gustafsson)
Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files 1.31.1 archive (masterblaster)

Level 19
I'm lucky it's a leap year as I've completely forgotten about the dead line tomorrow.

The map isn't really finished, but I'll upload it soon, just so all the work doesn't go to waste. I've not had any time to adjust the balance and gameplay mechanics and some parts might feel a bit rough/rushed and some scrapped content may be obvious in-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.