1. Evolution complete! Make Darwin proud and go vote in the Techtree Contest #12 - Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Icon Contest #17 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate our winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've created the Staff Job Openings thread. We're currently in need of icon, video production, and social/multimedia positions to be filled. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. C'thun has spoken! Texturing Contest #29 - Results are published - check 'em out!
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing HiveWE

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Wareditor, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

HiveWE is a fully custom open-source 3rd party World Editor
    Created by eejin

THE CURRENT STATE OF THE PROJECT

While HiveWE's end goal is to be a fully functional replacement and improvement of the original World Editor, the current features are limited. However, a lot of work has been put into the infrastructure to make this possible. Now that the basics are there implementing new features should be less of a lengthy process. So with this being a bit of a beta there are some limitations.

Features:
    • Open and view Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne maps (not RoC yet)
    • Pathing Brush: Edit the pathing map and save it. Now you can just draw straight on the pathing map saving you lots of time and your map will load quicker too be, because you dont have to place pathing blockers anymore.

[​IMG]
    From the rocks being unbuildable to being both unwalkable and unbuildable in 10 seconds!

[​IMG]
    There are some other creative things you can do too like making cliffs walkable, or an underwater map

Limitations:
    • Slow with lots of doodads (10.000+)
    • Doodad rendering is not 100% accurate (teamglow, billboards, etc)
    • Does not render units
    • Does not render ramps

Roadmap:

So what’s next? Obviously removing the current limitations is a priority so that even bigger maps can be worked on with a cinematic 24 fps. After that some more features concerning pathing and some rudimentary terrain editing.

Here is a video of Retera explaining why this is the future with a neat exemple:

WHY A STANDALONE EDITOR AND NOT JNGP OR WEX ?

Modifying the existing World Editor, is a bit like glueing a spoiler onto a crappy car versus building a race car from the ground up.

Most of the extra functionality that JNGP or WEX offers is integrated using memory hacks, and while being very useful does feel a little glued on. A fully custom editor like this will allow us to do all kinds of new and exciting things such as editing the pathing map or increasing the limits on all kinds of things like the amount of cliffs.

There’s a long road ahead for HiveWE to someday fully replace the original World Editor, but until then you will get to enjoy a lot of additional features too. Feel like you could help? Then drop by in the Hiveworkshop Discord or submit a Pull Request to our Github.

This wouldn't have been possible without the incredible work of eejin and the help of Ghostwolf with deciphering the warcraft formats and general guidance. Without him this would have taken many times as long. Also many thanks to the rest of the community for all the help.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Was about to rant about how overhyped this is (in its current state), buuuut.. well.. no one wants to hear that. So I'll keep it for myself for now.

That said, would be cool to have an estimate of the finish date.

3. Xonok

Xonok

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is ridiculously OP.
    In the far future I'd very much like if it were possible to define templates for objects and have inheritance. Those 2 features combined would make managing large projects far easier.

4. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Chaosy it's not meant to replace the World Editor right now.

Nobody should or would use it right now, it' the possibilities that is getting everyone hyped.

5. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds cool, guys! Keep it up!

6. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well this is totally out of the blue for me Oo

7. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Misha you need to join the discord channel.

8. bear_369

bear_369

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is really cool! I would love to hear every changes of it.

9. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is still getting hyped for something that is veeeeeeeeery far away.
    First you need to equal the standard editor.
    And then you need to surpass JNGP and WEX as well.

call me dull and boring but I cannot get excited from such an early prototype.

10. xorkatoss

xorkatoss

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ok guys because I'm a noob I need some help, I went to the link and I downloaded the files but I can't seem to figure out how to run the Hive WE, any help? =/

11. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  12. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I actually have ALOT of ideas for a new editor and what needs to be added towards it, since the current editor is obviously outdated.. But, if you want some ideas for the new one shoot me a message! keep it up.

13. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    This is really exciting. An open source editor has so much potential. Can't wait to see where this goes!

14. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    If, developer willing, the Hive WE should become a success, it would be the epitome of the dedication of the modding community to the game of Warcraft III. If anything else, I would like to suggest something with the Trigger Editor (of Hive WE)...

Allow something like having a pre-processor script to interpret a series of code into jass such that it would be like plug-and-play. (Could be in-built functionality)
    For example, if you don't have a vJASS pre-processor script, you can't write certain things in vJASS. You plug in vJASS, and everything will fall in place.

Code (Text):

Interpret language as: vJASS

Code (vJASS):

library SomeFoo

private struct SomeLib
        endstruct

function arr takes nothing returns nothing
        endfunction
    endlibrary

^^ The result above would compile. However, assuming that you have Zinc pre-processor script...
    Code (Text):

interpret language as : Zinc

Code (vJASS):

library SomeFoo

private struct SomeLib
        endstruct

function arr takes nothing returns nothing
        endfunction
    endlibrary

^^ The result above wouldn't compile, due to error in syntax. Note that these are just examples.
    You can even go further and allow reversion of JASS to GUI and vice versa just by changing the language from JASS to GUI.

Reversion from JASS to GUI

Code (Text):

interpret language as: JASS

Code (vJASS):

function Trig_Scandal_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
        // The script below is manually added.
        local unit u = GetTriggerUnit()
        local location loc = GetUnitLoc(u)

call DisplayTextToForce(GetPlayersAll(), "Unit's name is " + GetUnitName(u))
        call DestroyEffect(AddSpecialEffectLoc("define string", loc))

call RemoveLocation(loc)
        set loc = null
        set u = null
    endfunction

Code (Text):

interpret language as: GUI

• Scandal
      • Custom Functions
      • Events
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Comment: The script below is manually added.
        • Custom Script: local unit u = GetTriggerUnit()
        • Custom Script: local location loc = GetUnitLoc(u)
        • Game: Display to (All Players) the message (ConcatenateString("Unit's name is ", (Get name of [U]u[/U])))
        • Custom Script: call RemoveLocation(loc)
        • Custom Script: set loc = null
        • Custom Script: set u = null

The language will attempt to find the right kind of wrapper for the jass script given and will automatically translate it if found. If not, the language will resort to placing it within a Custom Script.

15. Clamp

Clamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ha, that's funny =)

I couldn't find anything about code editing in GH, do you plan something? I must say scintilla was awful even when JNGP came out, and after work in actual IDE it's getting even worse to use.

Also I definitely would like to take a look at roadmap or at least list of planned features.

// looks like it's time to start thinking about rewriting cJass on cpp...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  16. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The most exciting prospect is getting this to work with OSX.

17. eejin

eejin

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Resources:

This tool does not need to surpass the standard editor, JNGP or WEX on every front. It just needs to be better at some things or offer functionality that the others don't. Right now you can straight up edit the pathing map which is an unique feature. Would you have seen the usefulness of this tool if it was only marketed as a pathing map editing tool?

There are lots of tools for editing code that have a lot of time spent on making them. Making a text editor that has the same functionality would be a lot of work. For now I might look into some Wurst integration as that seems like the best option now. I do feel like a trigger editor for GUI code might be worthwhile as there aren't any better alternatives available and there are lots of things that could be improved on that.

Here is a little roadmap:
    • Improve performance a lot
    • Add more pathing map tools
    • Perhaps a tilesetter such as JNGP had?
    There are lots of things I can think of that I would want to add, but promising too much may disappoint you :p.

18. Clamp

Clamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was talking more about integration of some already existing text processor, of course. There are thousands of them at GH with quality and functionality for every taste, so you can choose from.

It isn't about promising or disappointing us, just life tells that if you don't have target, you will never achieve it.

I strongly suggest you to make some image of final result that you want to have at 1.0 release and then decompose it down as deep as you can in ten minutes. Maybe even down to concrete tasks which you (or someone else) could done less than in a day.

This small suggestion is essential and comes from years of professional experience in project management, so I bet you will not regret using it.

19. Napoqe

Napoqe

Resources:
    Resources:
    My suggestion is to do without stress. If this Open Source World Editor is less powerful than Blizzard's. So if you want to try until you achieve the level of the classic (to avoid disorganization and errors), and if you also want to add new features that run on Warcraft 3. I read, and I found some cool things as trying to remove as limitations.

It's been a long time since I no used WE, but I'm weighing if I buy Warcraft 3 completely. I used game keys of my brother to play Warcraft 3 and use World Editor.

Another suggestion: that in the object editor, in the skills, put new function equal to Trigger Editor within the settings of the object. So, I think it gets more organized for me, you can directly put in the screen of skill.
    Two Example:

I create a new ability from the Storm Bolt, and wish that additional damage ability picking up the strength values of the hero who used the skill, I directly edit the ability on the object editor.
    Another example, I create a new ability from the Storm Bolt again, remove the project from the skill, and edit for the hero who uses skill to teleport near the target.

20. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hm, just checked out retera's video. Looks interesting.