• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon Contest #16 - Custom Models/Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
upload_2017-8-3_17-53-37.png

upload_2017-8-3_17-53-51.png
upload_2017-8-3_17-54-0.png
upload_2017-8-3_17-54-11.png
upload_2017-8-3_17-54-25.png
upload_2017-8-3_17-55-44.png

Custom Models/Textures
,,,.png

Create 1 portrait icon and 3 ability icons for custom model/texture

upload_2017-8-3_18-2-59.png

• Only custom models/textures uploaded after 28.07.2012 are allowed. (Time when last contest with same theme has ended)
  • Chosen custom resource must have approved status

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Only freehand work is accepted. CnPs, in-game screenshot edits, excessive filter-work, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted.
  • You must show at least 2 unfinished previews (WIP) for each of your submissions, before the deadline, as proof that they're yours. Minimum canvas size is 256 x 256 pixels.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete and uploaded to the icon section. Icons mustn't be updated once uploaded, until the contest poll is over.

• Judges may not participate in the contest.
  • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
upload_2017-8-3_18-17-37.png

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
Other Participants and judges: 5 reputation points

upload_2017-8-3_18-18-37.png

• Heinvers
  • The_Panda
upload_2017-8-3_18-20-14.png

Consistency of the icons in pack
Do four drawn icons compliment each other well?10%

Blizzard style
Is the style used similar to other standard icons?10%

Theme and creativity
How quality is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. Are abilities logical for chosen unit?25%

Technical note
Technical quality of icons.55%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
upload_2017-8-3_18-25-59.png

Participant
WIPFinal Entry

---
------

---
------

upload_2017-8-3_18-29-4.png

The contest shall begin on the 4th of August, 2017 and conclude on 4th of September, 2017, GMT

NOTE: You need to have permission from author of model/texture you chose to draw icons for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I never understood that "author's permission" thing when it came to icons of custom models... Unless they made a custom texture that you literally copy/paste into your icon, I see no reason why they would have any say. More importantly, it's an honor for someone to make resources for your resource, increasing it's usefulness.
/gripe

Another WIPs:

05-png.275856
06-png.275857
guldan-png.275859

And the portrait icon:

btnguldan-jpg.275860
disbtnguldan-jpg.275861

Look's good already, but keep in mind that our Gul'dan (the one from the game) has red glowing eyes. not green.
Done! :)

Attachments

• 05.png
    05.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 06.png
    06.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,620
  • Gul'dan.png
    Gul'dan.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,670
  • BTNGul'dan.jpg
    BTNGul'dan.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,599
  • DISBTNGul'dan.jpg
    DISBTNGul'dan.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,426
So, flat means unshaded.
shading is fine, form is off. the perspective is messy (e.g. given the implied angle of the framing, there shouldn't be such a huge bit-sized curve out of his cheek on the right), and in certain parts you've drawn flat shapes that, even with perfect shading, look odd. case in point for the latter, his nose - tiny nostrils drawn to the wrong perspective + a seemingly flat brow ridge & nasal bridge.
improving your understanding of drawing form comes with practice, time, and a lot of reference pics.

someone suggest me a model to do pls.

shading is fine, form is off. the perspective is messy (e.g. given the implied angle of the framing, there shouldn't be such a huge bit-sized curve out of his cheek on the right), and in certain parts you've drawn flat shapes that, even with perfect shading, look odd. case in point for the latter, his nose - tiny nostrils drawn to the wrong perspective + a seemingly flat brow ridge & nasal bridge.
improving your understanding of drawing form comes with practice, time, and a lot of reference pics.

someone suggest me a model to do pls.
Thanks!
I know my skills at portrait making is so bad and I told it before. But that's however for the contest. I cannot draw a better icon for it. Maybe I could draw better with a tablet. I draw with mouse currently.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
NOTE: You need to have permission from author of model/texture you chose to draw icons for.
It seems some people are having problem getting such expressed permission due to model/texture author inactivity and an inability to contact them. I would suggest accepting entries made without model/texture author permission as long as a reasonable effort was made to contact them, including an attempt from the contest organizers. At any time before the contest ends the model/texture author has the right to deny permission, disqualifying that specific entry (contestant can make another entry if time permits), should he suddenly become available. After the contest ends the author cannot deny permission as he has forfeited that right due to absence.

One must remember that all models and textures on this site are in the public domain. As such the authors do not have that many rights next to copyright over the specific model and texture. No permission should be required for making an icon as the model/texture author does not have strong copyright over the concepts and ideas used, often plagiarising/being inspired from other sources.

Last edited:
Reactions: San
First ability:

Gul'dan's Fell Energy:

btnfellenergy2-jpg.276173
disbtnfellenergy2-jpg.276174

Some WIPs:
01-png.276175
02-png.276176

It looks like old @San Style. :D
i'll try to join this contest. this is my first time to create an icon

Orgrim Doomhammer by Tauer

here's my WIPS!
l8Z2IvCRlJJxnFbDTCyWr9P0DNpjOmctyt-R4wXBQhE6SKb7JHpDuUcTH1v9qpIu4PjqycX93aVUsyzP1EOgVfpWmpvG5TtNpU8F=s220
2EHjXNvBx_YAAzSMZVrS35gAbKYhRaHsWu99E8jB568kWM7EA2yYYUJxUlNjumdoz-HZ-210vl9_gYgg1UtiRnRPLJRwU858aiFm=s220

Is this drawn with Paint?

Attachments

• BTNFellEnergy2.jpg
    BTNFellEnergy2.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 478
  • DISBTNFellEnergy2.jpg
    DISBTNFellEnergy2.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 485
  • 01.png
    01.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 464
  • 02.png
    02.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
WIP

This is my entry. I hope I can finish this one though I think my skills was deteriorated. :)
An icon for Sea druid of freddyk

Now, I'm stuck at conceptualizing an appropriate abilities for this creep.

full

EDIT: Permission granted.

upload_2017-8-9_11-54-43.png

Attachments

• Portrait.png
    Portrait.png
    281.8 KB · Views: 106
  • upload_2017-8-9_11-54-22.png
    upload_2017-8-9_11-54-22.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
@BLazeKraze nothing ever change tho to your style and I like it! The big image looks much much better than the icon tho. And btw why are you still awake at this time!? Do you even sleep!? haha :xxd:

I'll try to do what I can but it's already late and I'm going to sleep right now. Hahahaha.

Nightmare & blazekraze, those are both really excellent!

@BLazeKraze , yours could be a tiny bit lighter IMO... Maybe. But why are you worried about conceptualizing abilities? You can see it was a model made for a Hero Contest; it came with 4 excellent abilities already. : )

Oh no, I thought being lighter is a mess that's why I darkened it a lil bit. But I'll look forward for your suggestion. :)

Level 24
Blast, I have picked one, but I realized it was pending, and it was actually good >.> *sigh*
Anything to recommend? (The Model section packed like books in libraries and the search, well meh I had hard time filling it), well besides that, I guess I just go looking.

Edit:

Nah nevermind, I think I found one, I just need to ask.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.