• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon Contest #15 - Unit Corresponding Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
upload_2017-5-30_2-47-21.png

upload_2017-5-30_2-45-2.png
upload_2017-5-30_2-45-10.png
upload_2017-5-30_2-45-16.png
upload_2017-5-30_2-45-21.png
upload_2017-5-30_2-47-11.png

templ.png

Unit Corresponding Icons

Create four ability icons for one chosen melee Warcraft 3 unit.

upload_2017-5-30_2-45-37.png

• Melee stands for any standard unit in game excluding: heroes, special type, campaign units or buildings
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Only freehand work is accepted. CnPs, in-game screenshot edits, excessive filter-work, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview (WIP) for each of your submissions, before the deadline, as proof that they're yours. Drawing on canvas size below 256 pixels, in case of disputes, requires either:
    - at least 3 workflow WIPs per icon to be saved and kept by author or
    - .psd files for each of icons to be saved and kept by author.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete and uploaded to the icon section. Icons mustn't be updated once uploaded, until the contest poll is over.
  • Judges may not participate in the contest.
  • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
upload_2017-5-30_2-45-46.png

First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
Other Participants and judges: 5 reputation points

upload_2017-5-30_2-45-54.png

• The Panda
  • PeeKay

upload_2017-5-30_2-46-4.png

Consistency of the icons in pack
Do four drawn icons compliment each other well?10%

Blizzard style
Do icons fit with chosen melee unit's icon? Is the style used similar to other standard icons?10%

Theme and creativity
How quality is the concept, how unexpected and creative is the idea? Originality and uniqueness of icons are judged. Are abilities logical for chosen unit?25%

Technical note
Technical quality of icons.55%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
upload_2017-6-1_0-23-8.png

Participant
WIPFinal Entry

PrinceYaser
ClickClick

Abovegame
ClickClick

Edge45
ClickClick

San
ClickClick

Arowanna
ClickClick

~Nightmare
ClickClick

Flute
ClickClick

upload_2017-5-30_2-46-15.png

The contest shall begin on the 1st of June, 2017 and conclude on 1st of July, 2017, GMT

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
@Murlocologist Noice work, but consider changing the phrase "one chosen melee Warcraft unit" to "standard" or "ladder" or just removing it; that, plus the fact that you used the Mountain Giant as the example/header image, might lead some to wrongly believe they must choose a melee-range unit.

Which would be ridiculous, unless of course it's what you intended.

Then it's still ridiculous. ; )

San

San

Level 32
Sorry for my stupidity but-
'Units' means no heroes from altar/tavern allowed?
Must we upload our final entries in this thread in BTN format? No PAS or ATC?
I can be the judge I am good in judging
You stole artwork from the other people and tell us you drew them, after making up so much silly lies in that thread, I have yet to see a proper apologize from you.
If you are really that good in judging, the first thing I want you to judge is yourself.

Level 14
You mean you won't make icons for this contest and you will watch our works, right?
Yes thats what I meant I am not actaully into icon making I am into campgain making and besides if there is a mini mapping contest I would be interested in joining.

And this is a icon contest I am not pretty good in mouse drawing I am good in drawing in a paper.So no loss

Level 50
'Units' means no heroes from altar/tavern allowed?
Yes i added it in description now: no heroes, special type, campaign or building.
Must we upload our final entries in this thread in BTN format? No PAS or ATC?
You must upload it to icon section and that means you'll have to include regular BTN frame as well. Abilities can be passive. When posting your complete icons here you can just give links of them in icon section, but of course it is much better to do small presentation and post them as images.

Level 50
@Murlocologist do neutral creeps count ? Nevertheless i'm particapating. :)
Yes they do. As far as rules are concerned you can make icon set even for penguin.
Oh, I really forgot that! I stopped making it. Can I continue it on 1st of June @Murlocologist?
Contest starts on 1st of June, don't post wips before official start. But yes, once we get started you can continue to work on them.

@Wardota2 Gamer reminder of contest rule:
  • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.
This is not a chit chat contest.

Level 14
Well, I say this rule:

It does say no icon should be created before the start time of the contest I think.
Oh sorry well I guess I will have to wait too because I am gonna vote for the best icon ever.Good Luck @PrinceYaser ofcourse judging is not just judging the apearance of the icon but looking at the texture and more I have learned about that in
Murlocologist reviews

Level 50
And the contest has started. It lasts til 1st of next month and extension will be given only if all contestants agree to have one (which never happens). One month is more than enough time to draw 4 icons so I hope you'll all get it on time. About the judges, I will most likely take that role, but anyone who knows how to review icon can ask to be contest judge. Ask me or post here.

To highlight most important rule of all: Only freehand work is accepted. CnPs, in-game screenshot edits, excessive filter-work, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted. Cheaters will be awarded with immediate disqualification and pocketful of warning points.

Have fun. xoxo

Level 14
How would you judge an iccon contest if you are not good at creating some?
I KNOW HOW TO DRAW I AM GOOD AT IT IN PAPER NOT IN PHOTOSHOP I DONT KNOW HOW TO DRAW IN PHOTOSHOP IN TABLET MAYBE BUT I DONT HAVE A TABLET.

I am really uncomfortable with mouse drawing because there is so many to learn in photoshop.In drawing in paper using pencils and color pencils are my thing.(Like animation characters like Pokemon characters)

San

San

Level 32
I am good at judging but bad in my own icons.
Please stop your trashtalking and make some sense, bad in making icons = unfit to be judge one, unless you are open minded and wise, which you aren't one, for now. That's all, stop it and fuck off.
Go ahead and prove your pro-review to icons in the icon section, but not here in a contest.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
Unit: Sludge Monstrosity
SludgeMonster.gif

JhNu6Sb.png

An early concept and 2 WIP
A19WWHV.jpg
UVOCHTB.jpg
6eeXeuE.jpg
Looking good, great to see that you are getting away from your comfort zone.

Just another wip:

btnw-jpg.269426
I don't know what the icon is for, but it looks good. Could use other color for a gradient effect.

I think I'm gonna go with the shade and still tentative. XD

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
It's flesh, and a bit bloody. It doesn't look like flesh? : / hmm, may need to rework on it,
Just add more dark redish blood instead of light colors, light colors makes blood seem milky texture, but it looks really good !

Unit: Sludge Monstrosity
SludgeMonster.gif

JhNu6Sb.png

An early concept and 2 WIP
A19WWHV.jpg
UVOCHTB.jpg
6eeXeuE.jpg

Looks nice! but on the model there isnt much blue, maybe instead of blue make it darkish purple? just a thought.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
To highlight most important rule of all: Only freehand work is accepted. CnPs, in-game screenshot edits, excessive filter-work, trace-overs or heavy referencing existing artwork are not permitted. Cheaters will be awarded with immediate disqualification and pocketful of warning points.
"Heavy referencing" & such is a bit too difficult to prove, IMO.

Also, it's important for everything of this nature to be included in the initial Contest first-post; there's no mention of punitive measures currently & it's really more professional to have it in one place.

Also also, I don't think you can give out neg-rep for failing to fulfill a Contest Rule. All the Contest has power to do (& thus you, the Host, as scion of the Contest) is to affect intra-Contest concerns. Leave the neg-repping to the professionals mods for actual site-rule infractions.

~~

Lookin' good peepes!

Level 50
"Heavy referencing" & such is a bit too difficult to prove, IMO.

Also, it's important for everything of this nature to be included in the initial Contest first-post; there's no mention of punitive measures currently & it's really more professional to have it in one place.

Also also, I don't think you can give out neg-rep for failing to fulfill a Contest Rule. All the Contest has power to do (& thus you, the Host, as scion of the Contest) is to affect intra-Contest concerns. Leave the neg-repping to the professionals mods for actual site-rule infractions.
If you find technical irregularities in this contest than use appropriate forum for expressing your opinion: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Status
Not open for further replies.