1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon Contest #10 - Custom Models/Skins

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by I3lackDeath, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    It looked like a dwarf that was drinking ale to me... not a hammer, although, yes some people may think it's a hammer. Otherwise it looks good, just remove the contours light and make it to be yellow background, but don't follow the outlines. But who am I to judge, I can't make icons :\

2. JollyD

JollyD

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    From first i thought it wa a hammer) then i have read a name)

3. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Amazing guys, good job! :)

Looks great all of you! Damn u guys got skillz! ;)
    I'll try to come with some constructive critisism though so you could all get that much closer to perfect :p

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2173594-post29.html
    @-Grendel
    Your WIP's looks rly cool and original :) The unit icon looks fucking perfect, the teeth and everything, rly nice! ;)
    In ur 2nd icon u've brilliantly managed to capture the creature's intensity when shouting out a mortifying yell, gj ;)
    It might be a little pixelated, but hey it's just going to be a small icon anyways, noone's gonna take great notice of that.
    Ur 3rd icon looks fitting to the model and could easily be a passive skill, there is something about it that looks a bit off though.
    Idk, i feel u might've been able to show more of the creature in it because it's kinda hard to see where on it's body those spines are,
    but hey dude, srsly, good job overall! :)
    It's a shame that u haven't updated ur WIP's in a while though, hope u will continue making the last icons needed, u got a good chance in winnning this i think ;)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2176105-post48.html
    @PeeKay
    You picked a rly cool model to make icons for, and not an easy one either, but it seemed like u didn't have much trouble coming up with icons for it, they came pretty damn quick!^^
    I do however have some stuff i'm able to point out here though :p
    The unit icon, to me, doesn't look anywhere similar to the model.
    I can see that they both are gryphons, but to me, it looks like the model got some kind of mask or something while there is no such thing on the icon :p
    And the beak looks less birdlike and more "dinosaurlike" on the model than the icon. So IMHO you should probably redo the unit
    icon, atleast to some degree.
    Ur 2nd icon, the wing protection thing looks perfect though ;) Fits very well with the model and the icon looks so clean and nice, rly gj there! ;)
    The 3rd icon, Freedom, makes sense and all, but the image doesn't rly look anything like the model, i feel you could've done smth different atleast with the wings, now it looks more like an angel than a badass Gryphon Hero :p
    But the coherency between it's function and the model obviously being able to fly is great :)
    Also there being wings and seemingly some sort of "take-off" on the icon fits perfectly with what the skill does.
    Ur 4th icon, the Breaking Smash, fits with the hero, just not with the other icons, the colour scheme is so extremely different that they just wouldn't look natural being on the same hero :p
    I can see that on the icon it is a sword like one of the Gryphon Hero's that is breaking the shield, but i feel that since the model got some blue sparkling stuff around his swords that it should have something to do with one of his skills.
    And blue fitting perfectly to the rest of the colour scheme why not make the red into blue instead? ;)
    Ofc it probably isn't just that easy, but ur a pro modeller, icon maker etc. so u'll probably come up with smth good ;)
    So, ur 5th and last icon, Eagle Spirit, it looks like some sort of aura, and it does have a bird motive and the model being half bird makes sense.
    I do however feel it might be a little too dark in the background of it, also i feel the lower part of it looks weird somehow, idk how to explain it.
    Could maybe try to change it somehow in the lower left courner, it looks a bit off and it makes the whole icon look a bit off.
    Anyways, ur the first to have all icons, gj! ;) And u made some rly nice looking ones aswell!
    I hope my critisism is recieved with an open mind, i'm just being completely honest :p

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2176767-post54.html
    @Fjury
    I know u just barely started and probably haven't worked much on this contest yet, but i hope you will soon! :)
    The unit icon u made looks fucking awesome, but it makes the model look "not so good" compared to it :p
    On ur icon it almost looks like you got some sort of transformer or smth, with lots of gold/yellow on it, while the model doesn't :p
    It's actually kinda hard to tell if they look similar or not, it would probably help if u had a picture of the model just standing still looking straight forward.
    Anyways gj i hope you will keep working on it ;)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2176948-post57.html
    @Kola
    Fucking awesome dude, ur the most complete one IMO ;) All ur ability icons got the same colour scheme and theme which ofc fits perfectly to the model, amazing dude, rly GJ! :)
    If there was anything u should change at all it could be to remove the green stuff in the eyes on ur unit icon, the model doesn't seem to have green eyes, neither should it's icon :p
    Other than that, perfect dude, i think u got a rly good chance of winning this thing :p
    For extra credit, and if u just feel like working some more on this project i'd suggest to try and make it's ultimate skill look even more ultimate :p
    Also if ur able to make the wood on the Silver Arrow into bone which it looks like the arrows ur model is using are made of it'd be fully complete ;)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2178048-post69.html
    @JollyD
    Hi Jolly!^^ I think u've picked a pretty cool model to make icons for and ur first 2 there looks like a good start ;)
    If i were you i'd do like 13lackDeath said and reduce the brightness on ur mech aura icon and rather add a layer mask and add the different highlights on the wrench and cogwheel, right now it all looks a bit too bright.
    On ur unit icon i'd try to increase the brightness a little, maybe remove some shading effect or w/e u've added there and try to make his fur look a bit more grey and fluffy :p
    Anyways ur off to a very good start and i'm looking forward to see ur next WIPs ;)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2178381-post73.html
    @Marcos DAB
    Interesting choice u've made, infinite possibilities for ability icons, smart move! ;)
    The two icons u've made so far looks just perfect dude, i especially love the colour scheme, fits a Treant perfectly ;)
    I got no critisism to come with for you dude, so far ur perfect! hehe
    I hope ur able to free some time to make the rest, i know I am looking forward to seeing more from you :)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2178466-post76.html
    @BloodElf300
    Hehe funny direction u descided to go with ur dwarf, fits perfectly ;)
    Not that easy to come up with abilities for dwarves, i'm guessing thats why u've added only one ability so far, but the one u added looks rly good.
    It's obviously beer foaming around his mouth which makes it obvious that he is drinking from a big cup.
    But i suppose you could maybe show his thumb on the side of the cup or something that makes it even more clear how he's holding it so noone thinks it is a hammer or smth ;)
    Anyways, gj and keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing more :)
    PS: Ur unit icon...perfect ;)

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2177807-post62.html
    @Apheraz Lucent
    U've done an awesome job dude :) All ur icons fit the model and their abilities perfectly.
    The twilight blast looks pretty much done to me, i don't see how it looks rubbery, but i think maybe you should do smth with her thumb, it looks a bit small and maybe pointing a little bit too much to the left.
    You could maybe tilt it a bit further up, else it looks perfect ;)
    Spectral sight looks very fitting for it's ability and the model as all of them, but i must agree, the ears there look a little weird :p
    I'd suggest tilting them a little bit up and maybe show atleast a hint of the "crack" where it kinda bends down.
    Desecration Strikes...oh man...so clean and nice, thats a 10/10 dude! ;)
    And here comes ur only flaw :p The Shooting Stars icon.
    I like the background and everything about it, but chreana herself got way too thick outlines.
    Makes it look like u placed a sticker on an image of a meteorfall or smth :p
    Her position and pose looks good though, it's just the outlines that are like 5 times too thick^^
    All in all amazing job dude! Still missing that unit icon and i'm looking forward to seeing it ;) So far u've done great! :)

Okay...hehe i think i got u all now, i'm no professional at anything here, but it's just an honest regular guy's opinion, if u don't care about it just don't read it ;P
    PS: i placed links to the posts which got the icons i reviewed above the reviews ;P

4. Marcos DAB

Marcos DAB

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I disagree. I clearly see a cup. (...Makes me want to go to a tavern. =)...)
    Good execution aswell pretty good as idea, I think.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  5. kola

kola

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Drink Ale icon is very nice. But you should really remove the glow...

Updated the portrait image of my Vampire tracker.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  6. Jazztastic

Jazztastic

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I agree with Peekay here, the angle is weird. I'm also not seeing any kindof liquid even though the mug is practically horizontal

7. I3lackDeath

I3lackDeath

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    @BloodElf300
    You could try the following:
    Make the mug out of glas, so that people can see the beer inside. That should do the trick of delivering the intention of this icon to 100%.

8. JollyD

JollyD

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    According to I3lackDeath's recommendations I have made some changes to Mechanical Aura icon

Here it is:
    [​IMG]

In compare with previous version:
    [​IMG]

9. Marcos DAB

Marcos DAB

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

Working in another possible icon.
    [​IMG]

Therefore:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  10. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
  11. JollyD

JollyD

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
  12. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice Jolly :) Ur fix to the mech icon there was perfect imo, GJ!

Marcos, another finnished icon hehe nice! :) You don't give WIPs it seems, just finnished works ;P GJ man, keep up the good work

chr2, rly nice unit icon u made!! Both funny, evil and rly clean hehe gj! Looking forward to seeing the rest of ur icons :)

13. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  14. Marcos DAB

Marcos DAB

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  15. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nice Marcos! Serious skillz ;)
    I'd suggest maybe making some sort of Thorns aura as passive skill, could probably be done by making some small changes to the second passive icon u made there :)
    The first one with the staff looks rly good too, but if ur model got a staff, that could be used as a weapon to conjure something or yeah, do some sort of magical/biological stuff with and should be granted a skill imo, so an icon/ability to fit would be cool ;)

16. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm not quite sure you understand what the theme of the contest is.

Also, another early WIP. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. I was thinking of adding a bone shattering or something, but I might also scrap the idea entirely.
    [​IMG]

17. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    @chr2 Huh?^^ The theme is to make 1 unit icon and 4 ability icons for a chosen model isn't it?: :p

Btw nice WIP :) What did u plan the ability to be?
    If i were to suggest a skill for ur model it'd be some sort of groundslam where he uses both his maces and create an earthquake or smth like that ;P

18. chr2

chr2

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The abilities don't necessarily have to come from WC3 (which Thorns Aura does). Also, I may have just misunderstood what you said. I thought you asked him to make the staff icon an item. But yeah, that's the theme.

I planned it to be some sort of attack ability. I had a couple of names in mind such as Crushing Blow or Bone Break.
    And I dunno, a ground slam may be too boring, though it could be a decent AoE ability I suppose.

19. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hehe i know it doesn't have to be from WC3^^ But since it's a treant mage i thought it could fit, need some sort of protection out in the woods u know, don't want to be eaten up by all the gnarly beasts that live in Fantasy Forest ;P

Yeah i see how u could misunderstand that, it's just that i didn't see a staff on the display image of the model he's making icons for, and i thought that if it had a staff it would fit that it could cast some spells of some sort with it instead of a passive skill

Bone Breaker sounds good, Crushing blow is used alot and lost it's umph, and i bet you could break some bones with that amazing mace he's got ;)
    Yeah i'd imagine he'd be able to create some sort of AoE effect by smashing both his maces in the ground!

Another ability that would fit him would be some sort of warcry that increases both his own and nearby allies' strength or smth, imagine ur commander in war lifting up two maces like that and screaming "Slay them all!!!"(or in ogre language "Graaarhh") hehe would atleast boost my spirits ;P

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  20. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Beasts don't eat wood. :(

Thread Status: