• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #9 - Same Abilities, Different Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

icon.png
contest.png
number.png
9.png

Same Abilities, Different Hero
Recreate 4 icons of existing warcraft hero abilities to better suit a different hero.
Here is the original post of the idea. Mix and match any kind of abilities from different heroes.

You can get a non hero specific abilities such as wind walk or frost nova and change them to something more specific to the new hero

OR

You can get a hero specific abilities such as carrion beetle, impale, resurrection or shockwave to be more specific to the new hero.

Please specify what the race and the class of the hero you are drawing the icon for, such as a gnoll mage or a murloc warrior.

Would be common sense to create at least 1 passive ability icon and 1 ultimate ability icon.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Active and disabled versions of all icons are required.
  • No plain screenshots (or shallowly modified) icons are permitted.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • Blizzard icon naming conventions must be followed: BTNAttack*.blp etc.
  • Works in progress (WIPs) of the icons are encouraged as they keep the contest active.
  • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete. (.blp files only!)
  • An in-game screenshot must be included with all submissions.
  • Judges may not participate in the contest.
  • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.
  • It is strongly advised that you keep your original large image files to prove your authenticity if the need arise to do so.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Username 1
  • Username 2
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creativity
The icons' originality and uniqueness are vitally important. 20%

Theme
Your icons should represent the aspects of your chosen theme. Variety between your icons is an important condition. 20%

Blizzard Feeling
Icons should be executed in such a manner that they can be implemented in a Warcraft map, compliment other Blizzard icons and replace the existing ones. 20%

Technical Note
The quality of the icons is the most important thing (throwing a lot of elements in a 64x64 image will usually look crowded)40%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 2011 November 30 and conclude on 2012 January 1st, GMT

Last edited:
Level 17
Do you have to recreate it from scratch or take the original icon and make it suit a different purpose?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Does the target hero, ie the hero you make the icons for, have to be an existing hero, or an existing unit, in the game, or can they be for a custom model or skin? To exemplify, would it be in compliance with the rules if I made ability icons (based on existing abilities in the game) for my recent Dark Troll Warlord? Or would that be not specifically for the contest, and as such, not allowed?

Also, interpret the ability, or redesign the icon? By Joe's post I'm thinking interpreting, but I want to be sure. Furthermore, as far as interpretation go, I assume changing the Storm Hammers icon, for instance, into something like a Storm Spear icon would be well within the boundaries of the rules.

Does the target hero, ie the hero you make the icons for, have to be an existing hero, or an existing unit, in the game, or can they be for a custom model or skin? To exemplify, would it be in compliance with the rules if I made ability icons (based on existing abilities in the game) for my recent Dark Troll Warlord? Or would that be not specifically for the contest, and as such, not allowed?
pick a hero. any hero. may that be custom model or no. any will work fine. it will be fine since you will be making 4 icons related to the model. therefore it is also useful.

Also, interpret the ability, or redesign the icon? By Joe's post I'm thinking interpreting, but I want to be sure. Furthermore, as far as interpretation go, I assume changing the Storm Hammers icon, for instance, into something like a Storm Spear icon would be well within the boundaries of the rules.

yes. a storm spear will work fine.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

pick a hero. any hero. may that be custom model or no. any will work fine. it will be fine since you will be making 4 icons related to the model. therefore it is also useful.

yes. a storm spear will work fine.

Sweet, something to spend my winter vacation on. :3

Level 17
You know there is a subscribe button in the thread tools section, right?
Btw thanks for the info pyra and joebro

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

ike casts revive with Obnoxiously Large WIP

hey kids, remember when people used to do stuff around here

EDIT: i should probably move that around a bit. bother

But, ike, you made a new avatar icon.. for the same unit? I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that it seems a little off what Joe was aiming for if my understanding of that idea is right. :3

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I don't quite comprehend what this is wanting us to do. You are wanting us to take abilities, and make the style fit the attribute/type of another hero?

Pick four existing abilities from the game and redesign the icons to fit a new hero - unit/hero from the game or custom from the Hive. Be sure to name the abilities and the hero you make it for. All four abilities must fit the one chosen hero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick three existing abilities from the game and redesign the icons to fit a new hero - unit/hero from the game or custom from the Hive. Be sure to name the abilities and the hero you make it for. All three abilities must fit the one chosen hero.

Now, that confuses me... Do we have to create 3 or 4 icons? Pyra stated 4, you state 3.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It is four.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
Lol, it looks pretty damn good ! B I3lackDeath :D. Keep it up !
Suggestion: Work more on the sword handle, color reflections and outer glow...try to define materiality like on for example the horns are really shiny metal, add strong highlights, the skull is kind of a diffuse metal, make really weak highlights with very smooth grading between the grays and so on ;)

EDIT: I'm joining the contest too. Gonna start tomorrow...

Lol, it looks pretty damn good ! B I3lackDeath :D. Keep it up !
Suggestion: Work more on the sword handle, color reflections and outer glow...try to define materiality like on for example the horns are really shiny metal, add strong highlights, the skull is kind of a diffuse metal, make really weak highlights with very smooth grading between the grays and so on ;)

EDIT: I'm joining the contest too. Gonna start tomorrow...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Will try to apply these, yet it's rather difficult to make it look right. I had stronger highlights before, yet it just looked... white in the icon. Wrong highlights make this look like fake material. :p

Handle... Yes, I'll see what I can do there aswell.

Looking forward to other entries and hero/ability choices.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yes, it is very much ongoing.

Level 25
So basically you have to take the abilities of a hero and redo them so they fit another hero? Like, Blademaster Warstomp, Blademaster Shockwave, Blademaster whatever that aura is called, and Blademaster Reincarnation for example? (using the Tauren Chieftan's abilities, for those not aware).

P.S: I might be joining this.

P.P.S: If I join, I won't necessarily be doing those.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You can take abilities from any unit or hero, mix and match. You do not have to take four abilities from one hero. You just have to make four icons for one hero.

Level 25
Since many of you just don't understand what we are trying to create here
Let me give you guys an example:
let's say I choose a wisp hero
-I can use my first Ability as a Taunt Ability, the original have a mountain Giant screaming or w/e, I can change that to the wisp face yelling in a taunting way
-Second Ability I want it to be warstomp based on the Tauren chieftain's ability
I can make it look like a wisp slaming himself to the ground
-Third Ability I want it to be the Evasion ability since I need a passive, I can make the icon look like a wisp evading/dodging an attack, or mimic the original with a wisp instead of a Demon Hunter.
-Ultimate I want a Wisp Avatar based on the mountain Giant ability

Conclusion: I have made a Hero based on a wisp, gave him 1 unit ability and 3 Heroes abilities. Random abilities All wisp Themed.
for all I care I can just replace the warstomp with a Devour ability with an icon of a wisp with a mouth wide open.

A simple taunt example:
taunt.gif
->
skill-0.gif

(this ability was made by the dota map for a Blademaster hero with the purpose of forcing taunt effect on enemies)

D: this thread have been questions for 4 pages, I hope this clears things up for everyone who wont bother to read the theme suggestion thread.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2040666-post13.html
These are few examples from that thread from that post
(that post was just a suggestion and does not imply the rules of this contest)

now let us see some work! gogogo!

Status
Not open for further replies.