1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Icon Contest #12 - Spells on Different Units

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Sin'dorei300, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spells on Different Units

The contestants are to pick 4 units/heroes from Warcraft III and make them use 4 different abilities(ex. Murloc using Stomp, Footman using Ensnare, Ghoul using Evasion, etc). Also, the contestants may pick only 1 unit/hero if they desire so, but it still needs to use 4 different abils.

[​IMG]
    • Active and disabled versions of all icons are required.​
    • No plain screenshots (or shallowly modified) icons are permitted.​
    • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.​
    • Blizzard icon naming conventions must be followed: BTNAttack*.blp etc.​
    • Works in progress (WIPs) of the icons are encouraged as they keep the contest active.​
    • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete. (.blp files only!)​
    • An in-game screenshot must be included with all submissions.​
    • Judges may not participate in the contest.​
    • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.​
    • It is strongly advised that you keep your original large image files to prove your authenticity if the need arise to do so.​
    • If the spells/units are custom or aren't from Warcraft 3, the contestant will be disqualified.​
    [​IMG]
    • First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
    • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
    • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll

[​IMG]
    • The contest shall begin on 15.07.2014 and conclude on 15.08.2014, 23:59, GMT 20.08.2014, 23:59, GMT

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Posting and checking this. Have fun icon makers:)

Suggestions!
    For judges you could ask PeeKay or enjoy.

3. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Are passive abilities allowed? All of the examples mentioned are actives.

e.g. Blademaster with Evasion

4. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yup, they're allowed.

5. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes! I love this theme. Good luck.

6. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  7. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yay, might be joining this if I get a brainstorming idea or something like that.
    Good luck to everyone :)

EDIT: A quick question, can we use campaign units?

8. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Ooo I get it now :p So you can make 4 different units with 4 different abilities, not 1 unit with 4 different abilities.. well that add more variety than I thought. Still.. no ideas for now, gotta start tinkering :X

Ehm.. that's a rule? Did you miss a "not" tolerated or is it intended to be tolerated :cgrin:? Just curious...

Edit: hang on a second, I have a question - we basically change only the image, not the name or anything of the icon right? So, if we have Feral Spirit - 2 wolves originally and I want to change this, am I allowed to change the Text of the Spell or not? Like, can I make them Bear Feral Spirits or do I have to keep them as wolves?

eh.. in short, my question is - when changing an icon we have to keep the Name and the Text as it is, or just the Name?

edit2: with something like mIrror image, if we do not change the text than the hero/unit which uses the spell will still have to be a blademaster.. making using this as base useless, since you can't really change it.

edit3: what about something like Immolation. It engulfs Illidan in red flames right? If we were to change those flames to blue, but keep the same spells, it would look really weird because it will have the special effect for Red flames and the text for red flames as well. So I can't think of many ways to change it then, since, a simple recolor isn't even possible for almost all the spells out there. Hmm. Which probably means I should focus on Passives which have no text or special effect but then again, they have the hero's name in their text which makes them unchangeable again because, if Critical Strike says blademaster, I can't add it to a Crab, because I have to draw a sword right? Can somebody help me understand this please :cgrin:? How does this theme function :p

9. Bannar

Bannar

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm so happy for this theme. Will be glad if those resources get uploaded into Icon section after contest is over. This "tinkering" with unit's abilities (ones which by default they are not supposed to have) is perfect!

GL comrades!

10. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    so to be clear, a minimum of 4 icons? or exactly 4 icons?

11. Marcos DAB

Marcos DAB

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Working in a gnoll ability, maybe Stomp or Windwalk.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  12. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Yeah.

Exactly 4 icons.

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Aw yeah! Looking forward to this. Let me know if anyone has a hankering to Icon up some Troll-love. :p

I think (if it's not already this way) that we should be basically "disregarding" the tooltip & base hero & SFX. Consider that we are creating resources to be used in places that don't already have it; so a blue Immolation or a Furbolg Evasion or a Murloc Defend are all crazy-different.

I'd say, since this is an Icon (artist) contest, basically mix 'n' match the tooltip & all that other stuff; pretend someone has asked you to make a "critical strike for a crab", and all you have to do is create an icon for it (giant smashing crab-claw! Mmmm... crab-claw. :p).

Am I right?

14. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    So I can basically slightly change the text/effect of the Spell but not the name, is that what you mean Kyrbi? Like, I can make a blue Immolation but I can't make a non-hammer Storm Bolt. Or can I? Can I make it like a Storm "bolt", like firebolt and such, with special effects, not a hammer?

Also, what about Force of Nature? Does it always summon trees or can I change trees to something which still can be regarded to as Force of Nature.
    And Feral Spirit, same thing. What about these two spells?

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    [rainbow]NOTICE: I am merely giving my opinion. In fact, I'm even asking for other (i.e. more official, authoritative) users to back me up.[/rainbow]

Anyway, in my opinion, this is a Zephyr contest, a contest for artists. Some restrictions are important for creativity, surely, but at the same token some of the limitations you have mentioned might exist just seem silly to me.

I'd say, just take the "Idea" behind the spell and make an Icon for it, fitting a new unit. So Storm Bolt is, yes, a magical hammer thrown by a burly dwarven king... But it's really just a unit-targetted damage & stun. So a Sea Giant throwing an anchor, or a Mage wielding a telekinetic "club", or a Marksman shooting a blunt bullet... Etc.

I think we're even more interested in Icons being "repurposed" away from specific, existing units; i.e. Mirror Image literally has the BM's face on it; make a generic/other-unit-specific Mirror Image and that's already super-useful. :p Same with Vengeance and Chain Lightning and War Stomp and Hardened Skin and Magic Defend and Reincarnation and ...

16. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Disclaimer: I'm not the judge or host. This is just an opinion.
    As the one that came up with this idea, I agree with Kyrbi0's description.

However, the line has to be drawn somewhere. For example, we don't need to redo Blizzard, because the icon has no elements describing the caster. Any unit could have the Blizzard icon for a spell and it would work fine.

So I would draw the line at:
    "The icon must feature part of the caster's body or equipment."

Examples:
    Thunder Clap (mountain king) - Legal. You can replace the hammer and arm with that of your own unit.
    Siphon Mana (blood mage) - Illegal. The icon is showing the target unit, so any caster could have this icon.
    Envenomed Spears (windrider) - Legal. The spear is part of the unit's equipment and follows a certain style. If you wanted an Elven Archer to have this ability, you could draw a elven-style arrow covered in poison stuff.
    Force of Nature - Illegal. The icon doesn't describe the caster, so a different unit in the icon would be a completely different spell.
    Feral Spirit - Illegal. As above.
    Immolation - Legal. But you have to chance the unit. You can change the colour of the flames if you want, e.g. a demon-type unit might have purple flames.

17. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The point of view of rulerofiron99 and Kyrbi0 is right:

@morbent, u're enlighted now? :D

18. Chen

Chen

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Nah, WIP. A Mountain G with Pulverize. Made that icon immediately, not nearly finished, but not far from completion. I made it myself and I think I got better in making it, I'm so happy I'm improving a little. But, one of my icon will be a Lich casting Blizzard, and to show that Lich, One shard will reflect his face, like a mirror. Is that allowed?

Attached Files:

19. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It's allowed, it's also a nice idea.

20. Hemske