• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 - Spells on Different Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

icon.png
contest.png

number.png
1.png
2.png

209577-albums5234-picture86437.png

Spells on Different Units

The contestants are to pick 4 units/heroes from Warcraft III and make them use 4 different abilities(ex. Murloc using Stomp, Footman using Ensnare, Ghoul using Evasion, etc). Also, the contestants may pick only 1 unit/hero if they desire so, but it still needs to use 4 different abils.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Active and disabled versions of all icons are required.
  • No plain screenshots (or shallowly modified) icons are permitted.
  • The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.
  • Blizzard icon naming conventions must be followed: BTNAttack*.blp etc.
  • Works in progress (WIPs) of the icons are encouraged as they keep the contest active.
  • The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete. (.blp files only!)
  • An in-game screenshot must be included with all submissions.
  • Judges may not participate in the contest.
  • No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.
  • It is strongly advised that you keep your original large image files to prove your authenticity if the need arise to do so.
  • If the spells/units are custom or aren't from Warcraft 3, the contestant will be disqualified.
prizes.png
  • First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
judges.png
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

209577-albums5234-picture86383.png

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png
  • The contest shall begin on 15.07.2014 and conclude on 15.08.2014, 23:59, GMT 20.08.2014, 23:59, GMT

Last edited:
Level 28
Ooo I get it now :p So you can make 4 different units with 4 different abilities, not 1 unit with 4 different abilities.. well that add more variety than I thought. Still.. no ideas for now, gotta start tinkering :X

No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.

Ehm.. that's a rule? Did you miss a "not" tolerated or is it intended to be tolerated :cgrin:? Just curious...

Edit: hang on a second, I have a question - we basically change only the image, not the name or anything of the icon right? So, if we have Feral Spirit - 2 wolves originally and I want to change this, am I allowed to change the Text of the Spell or not? Like, can I make them Bear Feral Spirits or do I have to keep them as wolves?

eh.. in short, my question is - when changing an icon we have to keep the Name and the Text as it is, or just the Name?

edit2: with something like mIrror image, if we do not change the text than the hero/unit which uses the spell will still have to be a blademaster.. making using this as base useless, since you can't really change it.

edit3: what about something like Immolation. It engulfs Illidan in red flames right? If we were to change those flames to blue, but keep the same spells, it would look really weird because it will have the special effect for Red flames and the text for red flames as well. So I can't think of many ways to change it then, since, a simple recolor isn't even possible for almost all the spells out there. Hmm. Which probably means I should focus on Passives which have no text or special effect but then again, they have the hero's name in their text which makes them unchangeable again because, if Critical Strike says blademaster, I can't add it to a Crab, because I have to draw a sword right? Can somebody help me understand this please :cgrin:? How does this theme function :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Aw yeah! Looking forward to this. Let me know if anyone has a hankering to Icon up some Troll-love. :p

Edit: hang on a second, I have a question - we basically change only the image, not the name or anything of the icon right? So, if we have Feral Spirit - 2 wolves originally and I want to change this, am I allowed to change the Text of the Spell or not? Like, can I make them Bear Feral Spirits or do I have to keep them as wolves?

eh.. in short, my question is - when changing an icon we have to keep the Name and the Text as it is, or just the Name?

edit2: with something like mIrror image, if we do not change the text than the hero/unit which uses the spell will still have to be a blademaster.. making using this as base useless, since you can't really change it.

edit3: what about something like Immolation. It engulfs Illidan in red flames right? If we were to change those flames to blue, but keep the same spells, it would look really weird because it will have the special effect for Red flames and the text for red flames as well. So I can't think of many ways to change it then, since, a simple recolor isn't even possible for almost all the spells out there. Hmm. Which probably means I should focus on Passives which have no text or special effect but then again, they have the hero's name in their text which makes them unchangeable again because, if Critical Strike says blademaster, I can't add it to a Crab, because I have to draw a sword right? Can somebody help me understand this please :cgrin:? How does this theme function :p
I think (if it's not already this way) that we should be basically "disregarding" the tooltip & base hero & SFX. Consider that we are creating resources to be used in places that don't already have it; so a blue Immolation or a Furbolg Evasion or a Murloc Defend are all crazy-different.

I'd say, since this is an Icon (artist) contest, basically mix 'n' match the tooltip & all that other stuff; pretend someone has asked you to make a "critical strike for a crab", and all you have to do is create an icon for it (giant smashing crab-claw! Mmmm... crab-claw. :p).

Am I right?

Level 28
So I can basically slightly change the text/effect of the Spell but not the name, is that what you mean Kyrbi? Like, I can make a blue Immolation but I can't make a non-hammer Storm Bolt. Or can I? Can I make it like a Storm "bolt", like firebolt and such, with special effects, not a hammer?

Also, what about Force of Nature? Does it always summon trees or can I change trees to something which still can be regarded to as Force of Nature.
And Feral Spirit, same thing. What about these two spells?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
[rainbow]NOTICE: I am merely giving my opinion. In fact, I'm even asking for other (i.e. more official, authoritative) users to back me up.[/rainbow]

Anyway, in my opinion, this is a Zephyr contest, a contest for artists. Some restrictions are important for creativity, surely, but at the same token some of the limitations you have mentioned might exist just seem silly to me.

I'd say, just take the "Idea" behind the spell and make an Icon for it, fitting a new unit. So Storm Bolt is, yes, a magical hammer thrown by a burly dwarven king... But it's really just a unit-targetted damage & stun. So a Sea Giant throwing an anchor, or a Mage wielding a telekinetic "club", or a Marksman shooting a blunt bullet... Etc.

I think we're even more interested in Icons being "repurposed" away from specific, existing units; i.e. Mirror Image literally has the BM's face on it; make a generic/other-unit-specific Mirror Image and that's already super-useful. :p Same with Vengeance and Chain Lightning and War Stomp and Hardened Skin and Magic Defend and Reincarnation and ...

Level 25
Disclaimer: I'm not the judge or host. This is just an opinion.
As the one that came up with this idea, I agree with Kyrbi0's description.

However, the line has to be drawn somewhere. For example, we don't need to redo Blizzard, because the icon has no elements describing the caster. Any unit could have the Blizzard icon for a spell and it would work fine.

So I would draw the line at:
"The icon must feature part of the caster's body or equipment."

Examples:
Thunder Clap (mountain king) - Legal. You can replace the hammer and arm with that of your own unit.
Siphon Mana (blood mage) - Illegal. The icon is showing the target unit, so any caster could have this icon.
Envenomed Spears (windrider) - Legal. The spear is part of the unit's equipment and follows a certain style. If you wanted an Elven Archer to have this ability, you could draw a elven-style arrow covered in poison stuff.
Force of Nature - Illegal. The icon doesn't describe the caster, so a different unit in the icon would be a completely different spell.
Feral Spirit - Illegal. As above.
Immolation - Legal. But you have to chance the unit. You can change the colour of the flames if you want, e.g. a demon-type unit might have purple flames.

The point of view of rulerofiron99 and Kyrbi0 is right:

Examples:
Thunder Clap (mountain king) - Legal. You can replace the hammer and arm with that of your own unit.
Siphon Mana (blood mage) - Illegal. The icon is showing the target unit, so any caster could have this icon.
I'd say, just take the "Idea" behind the spell and make an Icon for it, fitting
a new unit. So Storm Bolt is, yes, a magical hammer thrown by a burly
dwarven king... But it's really just a unit-targetted damage & stun. So a
Sea Giant throwing an anchor, or a Mage wielding a telekinetic "club", or a
Marksman shooting a blunt bullet... Etc.

I think we're even more
interested in Icons being "repurposed" away from specific, existing units; i.e.
Mirror Image literally has the BM's face on it; make a
generic/other-unit-specific Mirror Image and that's already super-useful. :p
Same with Vengeance and Chain Lightning and War Stomp and Hardened Skin and
Magic Defend and Reincarnation and ...

@morbent, u're enlighted now? :D

Level 25
Nah, WIP. A Mountain G with Pulverize. Made that icon immediately, not nearly finished, but not far from completion. I made it myself and I think I got better in making it, I'm so happy I'm improving a little. But, one of my icon will be a Lich casting Blizzard, and to show that Lich, One shard will reflect his face, like a mirror. Is that allowed?

Attachments

• BTNMountainGiantPulverize.png
    BTNMountainGiantPulverize.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 132
Here's my first WiP, going for a Dreadlord skillset :p
That took more effort than it looks like...

EDIT: Wait, must we choose 4 DIFFERENT units/heroes or can we do 4 spells for 1 unit?

Either 4 total different spells/abilities or 4 spells/abilities from a specific unit. Or mix it. 2 from one unit and 2 from another.

You just need to create 4 icons (your choice).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Disclaimer: I'm not the judge or host. This is just an opinion.
As the one that came up with this idea, I agree with Kyrbi0's description.

However, the line has to be drawn somewhere. For example, we don't need to redo Blizzard, because the icon has no elements describing the caster. Any unit could have the Blizzard icon for a spell and it would work fine.

So I would draw the line at:

Examples:
Envenomed Spears (windrider) - Legal. The spear is part of the unit's equipment and follows a certain style. If you wanted an Elven Archer to have this ability, you could draw a elven-style arrow covered in poison stuff.
Force of Nature - Illegal. The icon doesn't describe the caster, so a different unit in the icon would be a completely different spell.
Feral Spirit - Illegal. As above.
Immolation - Legal. But you have to chance the unit. You can change the colour of the flames if you want, e.g. a demon-type unit might have purple flames.
I'm not entirely on board, but I think we can both agree on this definition. Especially the "Envenomed Spears" example; that's a great example of what I am personally hoping to see out of this Contest.

~~~

Thanks Sin'dorei for clearing that up. : )

Level 28
Uuuh, so basically you mean I can change and abilitiy's special effect (whether it's a storm bolt or shuriken stunning), character (whether it's used by Mountain king or ninja) and nothing else? But when the "special effect" is too major, like treants in Force of Nature I can't change it. So I can turn War Stomp into a Lightning War stomp but I can't turn Thunder clap into a War clap? Or is War Stomp something in between? It is neither close to Force of Nature, neither as close to simple stuff like Envenomed spears.

Uuuh, so basically you mean I can change and abilitiy's special effect (whether it's a storm bolt or shuriken stunning), character (whether it's used by Mountain king or ninja) and nothing else? But when the "special effect" is too major, like treants in Force of Nature I can't change it. So I can turn War Stomp into a Lightning War stomp but I can't turn Thunder clap into a War clap? Or is War Stomp something in between? It is neither close to Force of Nature, neither as close to simple stuff like Envenomed spears.

War Stomp has a hoof. Make it a human foot and voila you have made an icon fitting this competition.
Storm Bolt is harder (or easier?) because it has not really got a racial aspect, and such must be a judgement call.
I think the rules should state that the icon being altered must have a racial aspect to be allowed. Otherwise users can just make a mace and call it Storm Bolt. Get what I'm saying?

Hang on a second, war stomp never Mentions in the ability or effect that it has a Hoof. Meaning, I can change it to a guy hitting the ground with his Hammer, and it will still be war stomp.

Not really because the essence of the icon will be lost. It wouldn't be a stomp if you change it to a hammer slamming the ground.
But if you take Thunderclap and change the hammer to a mace and the hand to a Tauren's then you keep the essence of the icon, but the icon would suit another unit.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
War Stomp has a hoof. Make it a human foot and voila you have made an icon fitting this competition.
Storm Bolt is harder (or easier?) because it has not really got a racial aspect, and such must be a judgement call.
I think the rules should state that the icon being altered must have a racial aspect to be allowed. Otherwise users can just make a mace and call it Storm Bolt. Get what I'm saying?
Well, but that's what I'm saying; that's the kind of thing that, in my opinion, this Contest allows people to do, and it's even helpful! Imagine a "Mace Bolt" (lol) as you describe; that'd be a great icon for any number of mace-wielding dudes (the Orcish Slave Master comes to mind).

Perhaps the "racial" aspect in Storm Bolt is not the presence/absence of an actual unit/character from that race; rather it's any racially-defining characteristics present in the icon. That's why Storm Bolt & Envenomed Spears (& Fan of Knives & Shadow Strike & stuff) can & should be counted; it's a decidedly Dwarven/Orcish/NightElven weapon, and so making a new icon for the same ability is really helpful.

Basically it boils down to "useful/helpful resources", within the confines of the Contest parameters. I believe.

Lol... Guess it wasn't entirely clear. : )

See above... But yeah, you can ostensibly change War Stomp into anything "stomp-y", as long as you change the Hoof (Tauren) to something else (armored foot, undead foot, giant's foot, etc).

Force of Nature, like Blizzard, features the "result" (or 'effect' or 'creation') of the spell, which, being the same regardless of the caster, means modding it doesn't make too much sense.

~

Can you give us some examples of Icons you('d) want to make? Might be easier to discuss something concrete.

Level 28
I don't have any examples, haven't decided anything yet. When and if I do I'll be sure to ask whether they work or not don't worry. I just wanted to get an idea of how this functions, I guess that basically you can "recolor", like, change only the non-essential parts of an icon, at least that's how I see it. Metamorphosis still features a big black demon, Force of Nature still features treants, War Stomp a stomping action, etc. So I guess I'll go for the generic stuff like Red Chain Lightning and such if I had to make icons. Don't see much to change anyways, Env.Spears into Arrows, Thunder clap into a Thunder clap with a mace instead of hammer, but still with Thunder heh ^^ If I do think of an icon which can be majorly changed I'll definitely try to do something with it...

Which reminds me, most of you have probably already looked through the icons in here, but it wouldn't hurt to share it just in case somebody hasn't http://www.wowwiki.com/WC3_Icons/Icon_List (All War3 Icons, if you know what's what it's faster than checking in the Editor, at least for me that is)

Eh.. So I can't just make it a Red Lightning without any hand at all and give it to Archimonde? I was hoping you could remove the hand, it kind of sucks.

edit: so I even have to keep all the visible things on the Icon, like hands, hooves, shields and such? Oh man :X

Well otherwise it would not resemble the same ability on a different unit now would it? :)
You can still play around with it.
But if you, like you suggest, just create a red lightning icon is can resemble any lightning ability, and no one would know it is actually a Chain Lightning being used by another race (or unit) than Orc. Do you see what I mean?

Level 25
Are we supposed to post the icons in here? It is my very first contest I've joined on hive.

Yes.

Stomp/slam/etc
This icon is fairly open, because we have:
Thunder Clap - weapon hitting the ground
War Stomp - foot hitting the ground
Slam (golem) - fist hitting the ground
All of these could be used interchangeably, so I think the main aspect of a "stomp" icon is that something must be hitting the ground.

Level 28
How is troll darts much different than arrows instead of spears in env.weps :cgrin:? You just change the Triangles of the knives to be more trollish-looking :X

Rulerofiron you said we can change the Stomp into "something" hitting the ground - does that mean I can make War Stomp be a guy hitting the ground with his hammer or does it have to use feet :? And Clap - weapons, Slam - hands, etc.? I'm still very confused because Solu says you can't and now you said you can.. uh... hmm.. Yeah.

How is troll darts much different than arrows instead of spears in env.weps :cgrin:? You just change the Triangles of the knives to be more trollish-looking :X

Rulerofiron you said we can change the Stomp into "something" hitting the ground - does that mean I can make War Stomp be a guy hitting the ground with his hammer or does it have to use feet :? And Clap - weapons, Slam - hands, etc.? I'm still very confused because Solu says you can't and now you said you can.. uh... hmm.. Yeah.

Isn't it really in the name?
Stomp - foot (you stomp with your feet)
Slam - weapon/hand (you slam with a weapon or a hand)

Status
Not open for further replies.