• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 - Spells on Different Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to join too, here is my first unfinished WIP of a War Stomp ability for Pit Lord - Mannaroth.

fyie1c.png

Level 28
Ok, I've been searching for some spells and I have a question - can I turn Unholy Aura into Holy Aura? Also, can I interpret Soul Burn as in, not actual burning that has something to do with fire, but with Pain. And make it non-fire. Are these legal or no?

Since someone mentioned turning Envenomed Spears into Envenomed Arrows I mean.

Ok, I've been searching for some spells and I have a question - can I turn Unholy Aura into Holy Aura? Also, can I interpret Soul Burn as in, not actual burning that has something to do with fire, but with Pain. And make it non-fire. Are these legal or no?

Since someone mentioned turning Envenomed Spears into Envenomed Arrows I mean.

Hmm.
For Envenomed Spears the weapon can resemble a weapon typically used by a race. Spears/axes for Trolls, swords for human, hammers for dwarfs. And by that reasoning you could potentially just change the weapon. In the Envenomed Spears case the poison aspect must still be there.

Unholy Aura and Soul Burn... Puh... that must be a judgement call really.
I can't come up with any other ways to keep the ability while changing the icon to fit another unit.
Remember. Soul Burn must still resemble Soul Burn. But the using unit must be different.
Perhaps an Undead hand releasing a burning soul?

Edit:
Let me just edit that last Envenomed Spears statement.
The icon should still be revolving a poisonous spear, but the type of spear (decorations etc) has to change to fit another race/unit.

Aha, so, no changing huh :? So you can't really make Soul Burn non-fire. Hmm.. Anyways, I've got more cards up my sleeve... it's just that they aren't as interesting :/ Eh whatever. No changing at all. Got it.

I suppose if you can come up with something similar where a soul is burning you can skip the fire part. Purple like flames could resemble a soul burning?
Although "burn" in it's essence it related to fire. But play around with it, be original.

Level 28
Yea but it could be a metaphor.. Inner fire sure doesn't include fire :X WOW. Burning your own footmen alive heh. It's a metaphor. I thought I could interpret Soul Burn like that as well.. and make it more like, Soul Pain. Your Soul "burns" out in agony :p Puff. Undead spell with no flames. If it still includes flames it's just boring ass recoloring :\ Never mind. I'll find another spell which has no such word in it's title, one which I can actually change, rather than replace.

Actually Rui I looked around Dreadlords' Spells but I don't really have any ideas on how to change them. They kind of suck. They are spells that can't even be recolored! And if a spell can't even be recolored, than there is no waaay you will ever think of something that changes them and makes them usable by other units.

I think Rui wants different spells to be used by a Dreadlord :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Kyrbi, it has to include a soul on fire. How exactly do I play around with it :cgrin:?
I guess I'll disagree with the other user's restrictive interpretation. Soul Burn is a single-target super-debuff, affecting spellcasting, attack speed, and dealing DoT. It features a dark, clawed red hand firing a bright orange LAZOR BEAM of concentrated "fiery death-ness".

The primary "racial" element (if it can be called that) in the icon is the hand; essentially it can be said to be a picture of the Firelord's hand, firing (lol) the fire (lawl). Under the purview of this Contest, then, the idea would be to create an "alternate" icon for it that would allow it to "work" for another unit. Perhaps a human mage's hand, or a pandaren's paw, or a blood elven staff, or whatever (hard time thinking of people that wield fire). Furthermore, consider differing the angle or posing of the hand/staff/whatever that fires the beam. Furthermore, consider this: 'why a beam at all'? Perhaps an upraised palm with a dancing, cackling evil flame (similar to the Soul Burn buff), or a pointing finger with sparks coming off of it, or a pair of hands (seeing the fingers) gesturing towards a soon-to-be-corpse (so the Icon would now feature the target rather than the caster).

So there, I've thrown out, like, ~7 different takes on that one skill. It wouldn't affect it's usage (still a "single-target super-debuff, affecting spellcasting, attack speed, and dealing DoT"), but instead increase/change it's utility (i.e. some other unit could cast this spell). And more than just the unit can be changed.

(Now granted, in my opinion this particular icon is almost generic enough to work for several different units already; could be the clawed hand of a Lich for example, or a strange fiery beastie...)

That being said, I feel confident that most, if not almost all, the icons anyone could want to pick could be analyzed in similar fashion. Hit me up if you want more. : )

Also Trolls. Trolls work for everything. Dreadlords are lame, they wish they were Trolls.

xD

Kyrbi0 said:
I guess I'll disagree with the other user's restrictive interpretation. Soul Burn is a single-target super-debuff, affecting spellcasting, attack speed, and dealing DoT. It features a dark, clawed red hand firing a bright orange LAZOR BEAM of concentrated "fiery death-ness".

I feel it's me you are mentioning ;)

I actually fail to see where your post/suggestion differs from mine. Som hand+some burn.
You still have to remember the theme of the contest:
"Spells on Different Units

The contestants are to pick 4 units/heroes from Warcraft III and make them use 4 different abilities(ex. Murloc using Stomp, Footman using Ensnare, Ghoul using Evasion, etc). Also, the contestants may pick only 1 unit/hero if they desire so, but it still needs to use 4 different abils."

So even though you would like fx. Envenomed Spears with a sword it would not make much sense because of the name.
But I guess Storm Bolt could be changed since neither the name nor the icon suggests a weapon or race/unit.

Level 28
Actually Kyrbi, that isn't what I meant under play around with it, that's just replacing elements. I was thinking to make it like something like death coil, except the head will be burning, not in poison/plague/greenstuffish. I didn't want to include the hand at all! But if I have to, then I'll have to find an icon without hands or feet.. dude, they are f***ing lame xD

(Probably) Final version of the dreadlord reincarnation:
137259d1405760771-icon-contest-12-spells-different-units-dreadlord.png

@-Berz-: That looks awesome! Is that the final or you are going to edit it further?

Attachments

• Dreadlord.png
    Dreadlord.png
    234.4 KB · Views: 318
  • DreadlordReincarnation.tga
    16 KB · Views: 43
  • BTNDreadlordReincarnation.blp
    9.9 KB · Views: 52
  • PASDreadlordReincarnation.blp
    7.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DISBTNDreadlordReincarnation.blp
    5.7 KB · Views: 51
(Probably) Final version of the dreadlord reincarnation:
137259d1405760771-icon-contest-12-spells-different-units-dreadlord.png

@-Berz-: That looks awesome! Is that the final or you are going to edit it further?

Looks interesting, tough you should only use one color for the whole dread lord, in the actual reincarnation icon the tauren uses only one color and a light behind him.

Well, it looks decent, but I wouldn't be able to tell that it was reincarnation. Then again, the original icon isn't too suggestive either.
Well, I've put some bats around, because the dreadlord's death animation includes bats, so I guess that should be somewhat suggestive... Like the bats are forming him anew or something. :p

Also, are we allowed to change the projectile/effect of a spell, like for example change the Carrion Swarm's Insects with bats or something like that? Sorry if that was already answered...

Status
Not open for further replies.