• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 - Spells on Different Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better?
attachment.php

Still a WIP right?
You need a lot more shading, and a lot more texture yet. But it's looking good so far.

Hey, just gonna interrupt your warfare with a design question;

I'm considering to recolor the fire bolt icon to green and stick with green fire as a theme.
I'm doing this because of the skeleton mage model contains green fire (the burning skull and wand).
GRioFUF.png

If I'm allowed to do this, I'll have to consider to remake the life drain abillity to a fire breath abillity or maybe do a seperate fire breath abillity and keep the life drain.

Also, new icon;
Rain of fire, it looks really alike the rain of fire from world of warcraft. I thought it existed in wc3 but apparently it didn't. I can confess I was inspired by it, but I drew it like from memory or something.

I5YMoJo.png

Green

UeTiaOW.png

Original

U can't recolor it to green, coz ingame the fire is red whenever u cast the ability.
Also, if u do this ability(rain of fire)for the skeleton mage, u can show at least a small part or weapon of the casting unit.

Level 25
Still a WIP right?
You need a lot more shading, and a lot more texture yet. But it's looking good so far.

Right lol, can't move on to next icon. You're right, I'll put shading & textuh.

You could make the hoof/hand's edges stand out from the ground.

It's a Hand! And right, I think I'm gonna make it look like power is coming out the fist.

Level 28
Well yeah, but there are a lot of other stuff you can do with an icon, not just recolor it. You can move the positioning of the meteors a bit, make them have more smoke rather than fire, make their balls smaller :p Yeah. And such.

Most of the icons with hooves/hands are actually pretty ugly in warcraft 3. Which one do you prefer: Forked lightning or Chain lightning? I think most people would choose Forked lightning. Hands uglify the icon if the icon isn't about them. If the icon is about lightnings, having a hand in it is just an attention-whore that destroys a lot of useful spells for fancy effects. If you want to make icons focusing on hands, fine! Like heal from warcraft 3. It's obviously focusing on the hand and it looks.. well not really cool but fair enough.

Mad

Mad

Level 15
Fire rain looks cooler, but even then the tail looks really straight. Perhaps more flames in that part?

Aw, didn't see that happend, here is an update
aHOYmJs.png

U can't recolor it to green, coz ingame the fire is red whenever u cast the ability.
Also, if u do this ability(rain of fire)for the skeleton mage, u can show at least a small part or weapon of the casting unit.

Aight, I tried to incoporate a skull in the image at first (that one of the meteors are closer and are a skull was the first thought, but it went over to something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/VyK89cy.png)

I figured this would be too hard to depict so I gave up and just went with the rain of fire instead.

I greatly appriciate the fast responses and keeping me on the rail, mate :D

Better?
attachment.php

It looks really promising :)
I made this quickly to try and show what my next steps would be :)

I hope you find it usefull in some way :)

Level 7
Aw, didn't see that happend, here is an update
aHOYmJs.png

Aight, I tried to incoporate a skull in the image at first (that one of the meteors are closer and are a skull was the first thought, but it went over to something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/VyK89cy.png)

I figured this would be too hard to depict so I gave up and just went with the rain of fire instead.

I greatly appriciate the fast responses and keeping me on the rail, mate :D

It looks really promising :)
I made this quickly to try and show what my next steps would be :)

I hope you find it usefull in some way :)

Hello Mad. I have an idea. U can make the skull looking over a crystal ball that may/may not have skeletal hands over it. And then u can show rain of fire inside it. What do u think?

Mad

Mad

Level 15
Failed attempts :(

209577-albums5234-picture86536.png
209577-albums5234-picture86717.png
209577-albums5234-picture86711.png
209577-albums5234-picture86710.png
209577-albums5234-picture86709.png

It is a really beautiful naga face you've drawn :D

Something I'd do to make it a charm spell would be to zoom in to the mouth area. It works really well with the great naga you've drawn.

Here is an example I made, drawing on top of your icon, since I can't draw womens' faces well.

wOwJslD.png

To Chenralstrasz,

I don't know if I linked the image in my last post for you, so here it is again:

O6xd9hZ.png

(I hope you can see what I've written, I've a pretty terrible handwriting)

another thing that came to mind was that you could try to draw the image so the fist is rotated and more fingers are shown. But I might be too late to ask you to do this, considering how far you've come with the image.

GrXsT1V.png

Mad

Mad

Level 15
Lips charm. Cool idea Mad:)

Glad you liked it :)

On another note; I've remade the rain of fire once again, please tell me what you think! :)

phq3QE5.png

Edit:
Hello Mad. I have an idea. U can make the skull looking over a crystal ball that may/may not have skeletal hands over it. And then u can show rain of fire inside it. What do u think?

I loved the idea, but I couldn't execute it. :(

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I am leaving this contest, good luck to others who participate. In future maybe there will be some normal contest without silly rules of how the icon must be archived. Freehand rule is and always was the most irritating thing in the community. This is a Warcraft III Community not some art gallery. Maybe in future everything changes from this horrible system- Hive 2 + hope.
Umm... Goodbye?

For the purposes of modding, as long as it's not illegal (granted, hard to see how it could be...), do whatever you want; recolor, copy/paste, hand-drawn, smudge, whatever.

But for the purposes of Artistic Quality & Artistic Integrity... Well, this is a Contest testing contestants Artistic ability, so "Freehand" just makes sense. It's always been that way (that & for Textures (also Artistic mediums)).

You make a valid point, though; if a rule's a Rule, it should be explicitly stated in the "Rules" (which, at Wc3C, they are). But still.

Hey, just gonna interrupt your warfare with a design question;

I'm considering to recolor the fire bolt icon to green and stick with green fire as a theme.
I'm doing this because of the skeleton mage model contains green fire (the burning skull and wand).
GRioFUF.png

If I'm allowed to do this, I'll have to consider to remake the life drain abillity to a fire breath abillity or maybe do a seperate fire breath abillity and keep the life drain.

Also, new icon;
Rain of fire, it looks really alike the rain of fire from world of warcraft. I thought it existed in wc3 but apparently it didn't. I can confess I was inspired by it, but I drew it like from memory or something.

I5YMoJo.png

Green

UeTiaOW.png

Original
Looks pretty cool. While I love the idea of a "greenfire" (or maybe "plague") rain of fire, the green one looks too muted and odd. :<

Why does it have to show part of him? Not every icon in War3 shows it's owner's hand/hoof/weapon/whatever he feels like showing off.

Because the contest is an existing ability on a different unit. That is not shown by just recoloring the icon.
Eh... I would argue that it doesn't have to show a part of the character... But if I'm not mistaken, that was kind of the point of the contest; make an icon so someone other than the Blademaster can Mirror Image, or someone other than the Spell Breaker can Magic Defend, etc.

Aw come now. They're all really good... Hard to decide. Seems just the tiniest bit 'soft', though, for Warcraft; wouldn't mind seeing more stark contrasts.

It is a really beautiful naga face you've drawn :D

Something I'd do to make it a charm spell would be to zoom in to the mouth area. It works really well with the great naga you've drawn.

Here is an example I made, drawing on top of your icon, since I can't draw womens' faces well.

wOwJslD.png
Ohhhhh man. STAHP. You're not allowed to awexome all over other people's ideas; it leaves quite a mess. Lots of paperwork. :p

Mad said:
To Chenralstrasz,

I don't know if I linked the image in my last post for you, so here it is again:

O6xd9hZ.png

(I hope you can see what I've written, I've a pretty terrible handwriting)

another thing that came to mind was that you could try to draw the image so the fist is rotated and more fingers are shown. But I might be too late to ask you to do this, considering how far you've come with the image.

GrXsT1V.png
MAN. You almost make it look possible easy to draw that Blizzard-y.

Glad you liked it :)

On another note; I've remade the rain of fire once again, please tell me what you think! :)

phq3QE5.png

Edit:

I loved the idea, but I couldn't execute it. :(
STAHP STAHP STAHP.

Level 7
Mad's new rain of fire looks more artistic but a little less rain of fire-ish. Maybe because the main focus goes on the skull and not the fire. maybe u can try to make the skull little less detail and thus making it look like a boulder which on closer looking has a skull like form and giving the direct impression of burning meteor.

EDIT: Also i dont understand ? u did with the stone pic but looks cool. Good Luck to chentralz to implement that idea. Then yr icon will also look cool (i think) :)

Last edited:
Level 25
Also i dont understand ? u did with the stone pic but looks cool. Good Luck to chentralz to implement that idea. Then yr icon will also look cool (i think) :)

So you're telling me my icon don't look cool but It will only be cool if i will do that? Sorry for being harsh, forgive me lokharke :) Also, my username is Chenralstrasz, but if you want, just call me Chen :)

And Just_Spectating, I love that Taunt, and can you give a less dark version of yhe reincarnaton?

Level 7
So you're telling me my icon don't look cool but It will only be cool if i will do that? Sorry for being harsh, forgive me lokharke :) Also, my username is Chenralstrasz, but if you want, just call me Chen :)

ofc no. Your icon looks nice but i liked the detail that mad gave. It is not compulsory for u to modify it. If u think something makes your icon nice, u can implement it. All icons are nice for me as long as they can give the concept clearly.

Rui

Rui

Level 41

Hmmm, I agree the yellow light is the simplest, but I also liked the others you tried to do, perhaps make the curved light a little more like an eyebrow?
I came up with a wicked idea. It goes a bit off of what Charm is, but you could do the following.

Choose a part of the image, with whatever shape and size, preferably close to her glowing eye and the mouth. Surround/delimit it [the part you chose*] with some glimmer (like those charm effects you were trying to do). Then, inside that area, replace the naga scales with some beeeaaautiful, gorgeous elven face. In the part that intersects the siren's mouth, have red lipstick.

Last edited:
Level 25
ofc no. Your icon looks nice but i liked the detail that mad gave. It is not compulsory for u to modify it. If u think something makes your icon nice, u can implement it. All icons are nice for me as long as they can give the concept clearly.

Lol forget it, I just have a bad day yesterday and I'm very angry, so sorry. Anyways, Thank you! And Sin'dorei, maybe that second one, add a bit of gleamy and shiny things and also in the lips so it will have the "Charm" enough to mind control the ones who will look at it.

Level 7
Abomination Reincarnation More complete
Early W.I.P. of Abomination Impale
The icon looks nice except for the fact that it doesn't clearly indicate an abomination reincarnation. Here is 1 suggestion. U can make an abomination hand (the one that contains the butcher weapon) coming out of the ground.

EDIT: Or, in the icon u have already done u can make the unit look more like abomination and put the butcher weapon in its raising hand. For me that is abomination's trademark.

EDIT 2: O! I looked again into your larger picture and the abomination is more clear there. ofc it does not have to be white and the sickle looks cool too. If you could show that detail in the smaller picture then your icon is ready to go (at least for me).

Last edited:

Mad

Mad

Level 15
Abomination Reincarnation More complete
Early W.I.P. of Abomination Impale

That is a really cool reincarnation icon :) Here is two things I'd like to see:

e4CQkqJ.jpg

The right (our left) looks a little weird to me so I'd suggest you try to work a little on that. I've drawn two shoulders here just to demonstrate what I was looking for.

EKZTmBl.png

Secondly, the hand with the hook could use some work too, like making the fist a bit larger, the arm shorter but more fat. You can also use a chain brush to save some time and pain. The chain brush should be included in this pack by Daarken.

Again, you did a very good job on the icon. :D

Level 28
Hmm, I don't know why Mad, but the first one seems kind of cooler. It's a got a more wild fire-trail, like, more random, the skull has a nicer perspective and the front part doesn't have such a big aura of fire. I think that if the fireskull moves with great speed the front part of the fire will be very thin, as it is in the first icon.

Mad

Mad

Level 15
Hmm, I don't know why Mad, but the first one seems kind of cooler. It's a got a more wild fire-trail, like, more random, the skull has a nicer perspective and the front part doesn't have such a big aura of fire. I think that if the fireskull moves with great speed the front part of the fire will be very thin, as it is in the first icon.

I can agree with that. I've been working on this icon too much now, so I think I'll put it on ice and continue to work on the last icon instead.

Level 7
Just like morbent said, the 1st icon seems better for me as well. But look at it later after all others are complete. I know that all your icons are gonna be fantastic. Post more WIPs ok?

Redone Abomination Reincarnation (thanks for the suggestions, I think it turned out much better)
more complete Abomination Impale

Attachments

• AbominationReincarnation.jpg
    AbominationReincarnation.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 96
  • AbominationReincarnationPresenting.png
    AbominationReincarnationPresenting.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 154
  • AbominationImpale.jpg
    AbominationImpale.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 102
  • AbominationImpalePresenting.png