• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 - Spells on Different Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Redone Abomination Reincarnation (thanks for the suggestions, I think it turned out much better)
more complete Abomination Impale
Abomination reincarnation looks nice in large image i hope the small icon becomes more distinguishable as well. If u bring out the contrast in the gorund and abo body color it will automatically separate i think.
Improve on impale a little bit. I think instead of showing the complete abomination and footman u can resize to show them but not show their entire bodies.

Level 28
Mind Rot for Lich.

209078-albums5714-picture86875.png

209078-albums5714-picture86874.png

Level 7
If u want, like i said earlier, U can change that "person?" to lich? I think it would look nice. You know, lich going insane because of lich kings voices inside his head or maybe the souls he has absorbed are trying to get into his head

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I updated my rain of fire icon a little and I'd appriciate some further feedback :D

phq3QE5.png
Old
RqOaWX8.png
New
I'd combine the sharpness of the skull with the unsharpened fire.

Redone Abomination Reincarnation (thanks for the suggestions, I think it turned out much better)
more complete Abomination Impale
I'm still not sure I'd be able to tell it was an abomination. Sorry about being so persistent D; I like the idea of having the foggy sky and the dark silhouette, but it's a little too dark.

Don't forget to sharpen it a little bit too, it blurred when you resized it.

Level 7
In between these 2 i'd say the first one. The rays in pic 1 is better. I suggest making the rays longer. Hands brighter is not working i think. So maybe if the face was blacker and hands still the same as in 1 (i like how distinct the joints are in pic 1), I think it would do the trick

WIPs here

I now have four abilities for three units. Just some more polishings and I guess I am ready to submit my final entry. Thanks to the feedback for my WIPs. Please, do so for these WIPs I got here. Thanks again.

NOTE: For other images and WIPs, please, refer here.

Brozebeard's Feedback

Footman

204270-albums4725-picture86894.jpg

btn

d127572e59fad8712349dc58c2a64f7e_86893.jpg
a065794229484a4206a3ff15d3b74296_86892.jpg

3b7dbf82f4009d0f2fec5f07d21d204c_86884.jpg
10fc93486301bbe850ba5b25b06090e3_86885.jpg

btn

f352aa9abc15608a85c6bd5dc7e52403_86886.jpg
bff006700595a6b5474de6c59b12ec19_86888.jpg

656391c764d1cdef6ca840e6dac6226c_86887.jpg
4c4ecfeff29b8518fde9d06c61581c2c_86889.jpg

Poison Sword

Cleaving Attack

7c12d3363c29f5e1f4bdb5f2baeb6761_86907.jpg

990381df34fe9023ca3e1a58041d5395_86906.jpg

9ddd1838b981911601b8d1d6e3d37043_86897.jpg

7772211f867baad62528093dc9899e44_86898.jpg

17b11cc6e8e025db67de9da4124d2ce8_86899.jpg

3999ebae4e116a7c3a6330134b589b46_86900.jpg

btn
c0e05858a7f5a3d225126aeb83165870_86904.jpg
beee17b9ff00b1569397aa42ade462ce_86902.jpg
195fe77ac4cc82c343850336ef5003d0_86901.jpg

btn

dfe827543a064853e639c404c617ebfe_86896.jpg
db296d6c2a8b4714fcb8e4fbf91b86c6_86895.jpg

Level 7
This looks way cooler. I am glad that i am witnessing the creation of so many nice icons.

EDIT: Make the bandit angrier/cunning (looks like a saint now lol) Critical attack and cleaving attack. I would have preffered to swap their concepts. Partial sword for critical and 3/4th of the sword for poision. The poision looks like it has so much physical destructive ability and not that poision that would slow that AS and MS of enemy.

I'd combine the sharpness of the skull with the unsharpened fire.

I'm still not sure I'd be able to tell it was an abomination. Sorry about being so persistent D; I like the idea of having the foggy sky and the dark silhouette, but it's a little too dark.

Don't forget to sharpen it a little bit too, it blurred when you resized it.

it's uh, not blurring because of the resizing,
it's just the way I'm presenting, it keeps getting compressed cause I've been saving them in different formats

tried making it even brighter

Attachments

• AbominationReincarnationPresenting.jpg
    AbominationReincarnationPresenting.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 212
Level 25
I'll take this convenient spamming as a chance to post another update to my icon
Abomination Impale more complete

I think the abomination in the reincarnation icon needs to be more distinguished. The background color and the abomination's color is really similar, if you were to make the abomination stand out more it would be easier to see what is going on. Perhaps you could try have a complementary color in the background rather than something so similar to the abo color.

Your impale icon is a great idea, though it is starting to become quite cluttered as well. As the focal point in the icon is the actual impaling you could try and enlarge the soldier and make him more centered and make the hook impale right through him rather than that extra "magic" or whatever you have right now. The latter is just a personal suggestion.

I actually believe you should remove the abo alltogether from that icon because we will still know that the icon is showing a "hook impale". Makes it easier to see what is going on.
The normal impale icon actually just show the impale itself. You probably wanted to do something more interesting than that. But you have to be careful not to put too much stuff in an icon. It is important that the player sees what's going on.

If you do want to keep the abo I think you should try to put him lower down, or at least make the hook impale the soldier from below rather than the angle you have now, because it looks kind of odd.

As the icon is now you can't even make out what the object is that he is impaling with that hook.

OR if you want to keep the composition as it is, I believe you should try to keep the ground brown rather than red. Or at least try some other colors, because just like in your reincarnation icon the colors sort of blend together.

Oh wow, enormous wall of text.
TL:DR - The art is looking pretty neat, but don't forget it is an icon you are designing, not a big-size artwork.

Level 7
I'll take this convenient spamming as a chance to post another update to my icon
Abomination Impale more complete
Footman position more or less complete i guess. To find the position for abo so as to make it look bigger than footman, i think if u use curved chains then that might do the trick. Then maybe abo can sit at the center back or even right back and look much bigger and rip-off the footman. About the spikes that are originating from the ground, are u sure u want to stick to this idea or maybe just the chain head hitting the ground and providing the impale damage?
the chain making an angle and going int the ground a little or something?

I think the abomination in the reincarnation icon needs to be more distinguished. The background color and the abomination's color is really similar, if you were to make the abomination stand out more it would be easier to see what is going on. Perhaps you could try have a complementary color in the background rather than something so similar to the abo color.

Your impale icon is a great idea, though it is starting to become quite cluttered as well. As the focal point in the icon is the actual impaling you could try and enlarge the soldier and make him more centered and make the hook impale right through him rather than that extra "magic" or whatever you have right now. The latter is just a personal suggestion.

I actually believe you should remove the abo alltogether from that icon because we will still know that the icon is showing a "hook impale". Makes it easier to see what is going on.
The normal impale icon actually just show the impale itself. You probably wanted to do something more interesting than that. But you have to be careful not to put too much stuff in an icon. It is important that the player sees what's going on.

If you do want to keep the abo I think you should try to put him lower down, or at least make the hook impale the soldier from below rather than the angle you have now, because it looks kind of odd.

As the icon is now you can't even make out what the object is that he is impaling with that hook.

OR if you want to keep the composition as it is, I believe you should try to keep the ground brown rather than red. Or at least try some other colors, because just like in your reincarnation icon the colors sort of blend together.

Oh wow, enormous wall of text.
TL:DR - The art is looking pretty neat, but don't forget it is an icon you are designing, not a big-size artwork.

I'll see if changing the color might help.
For the impale, I still haven't decided what exactly it should look like, so suggestions are appreciated. I was even thinking of removing the footman completely, or as my first w.i.p. depicted, having the hook impale the footman itself, But as the latter stands, it made the icon look cluttered, so i wanted to create some space between the hook and the footman, therefore i made the separate spike that we see from the actual ability itself ingame. I actually experimented with some colors for the impale, but it kept looking too colorful. I guess ill keep trying

Footman position more or less complete i guess. To find the position for abo so as to make it look bigger than footman, i think if u use curved chains then that might do the trick. Then maybe abo can sit at the center back or even right back and look much bigger and rip-off the footman. About the spikes that are originating from the ground, are u sure u want to stick to this idea or maybe just the chain head hitting the ground and providing the impale damage?
the chain making an angle and going int the ground a little or something?

The contest dictates i make the unit using a warcraft ability, so the spikes must stay, else i risk having an icon that does not depict the impale.

EDIT: added a border around the reincarnation abomination to further distinguish it
and thought of a new impale, messed around with the shapes and maybe removed the footman entirely,
what do you guys think?

Attachments

• AbominationImpale2.jpg
    AbominationImpale2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 83
    2.7 KB · Views: 148
  • AbominationImpale.jpg
    AbominationImpale.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 90
  • AbominationImpale3.jpg
    AbominationImpale3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Level 7
I think the 3rd one without the footman looks the best. I think you should work a little bit with the chain idk maybe make it look a little bit longer so that it looks like the collective mass of the chains is greater than the hook and also a little bit of shading. Abomination bot being distinct works here.

In the reincarnation, i like the darker abomination (no white abo for me) just make it look more distinct. Its eye looks evil and even more evil with reincarnation. Just the face i think. Do something and we will see. :)

Level 25

The impale icon is much better with that color scheme actually. Nice.
I prefer the second one but I am afraid that the soldier might be kind of lost with the borders added.

I might have to agree with lokharke that the darker abo actually looks a bit better. Though imagine yourself looking at that icon and not knowing what it is. It can be hard to make out an abomination there. You could try and play around a bit with more distinct, saturated shadows or even try outline the abo and his details.

The head and hook-arm is pretty good already, but the other part of him makes it look like a big blob with a hook.

I don't know if you've tried another color for the ground in the abo icon either? I see you've used 100 percent black, is that right? It's never really a good idea to use pitch black in any painting (well there are exceptions of course.)
You could play around with the ground a bit and see if you figure something out because it look like he is originating from a big pool of tar rather than the ground.

Actually, you could also try and put the abo closer to the viewer, that might help us see more clearly and it also gives you more freedom to the graves in the background which might end up with that we are able to even see them in the icon.

lol you guys are impossible

Abomination Reincarnation:
Tried dabbling with the ground, redarkened, and tried centering him better

Abomination Impale:
decided to keep the footman, still thinking of what else to do..

Very Early Abomination Berserk

Attachments

2.8 KB · Views: 140
  • AbominationBerserk.jpg
    AbominationBerserk.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 51
  • AbominationImpalePresenting.jpg
    AbominationImpalePresenting.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: Mad
Level 7

Abomination Impale:

I hope the berserk abo is not saying DX. lol. The berserk abo will come out to be pale i think. What did u base this icon on? I can't seem to remember any. U don't want to select any other units (is allowed now/not idk)

Level 25

Abomination Impale:

Well, you don't have to instantly do what I suggest, just take in my suggestions and think about it yourself, and if you decide you agree with me then go ahead and change stuff, if not; Well, don't. :)

For the reincarnation icon; Try with a grey-ish hue instead of a brown hue perhaps, but overall I like it much better.

The impale is really looking quite good now. The abo is kind of losing focus now but actually I don't think he needs to be more defined than he is right now anyway.

The pose in your new icon looks really good. Looking forward to see how it turns out.
Again though, think about how the original berserk icon look like, where it is basically this furious head-shot of the orc (I think it is an orc as far as I remember). You could try doing something like that but with an abomination face instead. I'm not saying you should scrap your idea, it can turn out great as well, but it has the possibility to get too much different details and clutter once more.

If you think about wc3 icons overall they all are very simple composition wise. There is not a lot of things going on in the icon (though as always there are exceptions). There can be a lot of detail, but most of the time the focus is on just one main object.
When we have such limited space in such a small image we have to be careful.

Level 7
The black abomination looks more evil.

Imagine a small village that just established after the annihilation of Lordearonan and retreat of the scourge. Due to the traces of pure dark magic, an abomination forming out of the corpses of many elite undead generals. And the abomination hooking people from the shadows, (etc, etc ? just spectating uploads). The people are in terror and have no other option than to go all out, lure this monster out and kill it. So the magi of the town makes a plan and told everyone to act accordingly. That night the people kept their livestocks out in the open and hide in the bushes, keeping the lights inside their houses on. The villagers wait and wait. It was getting close to midnight and eerie noises start to come from all around the area. The wind rustles around making the villagers shiver but also tighten their grip. The animals start to make loud noises and the ground stats to shake a little. The shadows meld with each other and in an instant, the large monster comes out, swings its hand and springs throws a huge hooked chain the bushes and pulls one human, lacerating it around the ground and finally swinging the chains up in the air. [other abilities]The villagers come forth from the bushes, crying and running and in the next moment, the abomination blends with the shadows among the bushes. Now the villagers were exposed and vulnerable. And suddenly the abomination xxx other abilites. Now only the magi was remaining. The abomination smelt the fear from the old magi and slowly crept out of the darkness. It lifted its arm and at that moment the magi put 1 arcane seal on its chest. It started to repel all the dark energy out of the abomination. It had grown to such a large extent that it entered the magi, corrupted him and further immolated his body and just burned it to ashes. As for the abomination, it fell apart. Now the village was quiet. Slowly the dark magic diffused throughout the land and corrupted the leftovers of the land where the abomination met its end. The next day was a full moon night. The moon was shining brightly than usual. Its rays penetrated through the dark magic and a face forms. A face not soon to be forgotten. The face of the butcher. The dark magic starts to concentrate as if it had found a new vessel. Slowly and slowly through out the strong magic of the moon the dark energy once again concentrated and began to develop a mind of its own. It found the charred body of the Abomination, the only feasible host for it and stated to seep in through its cuts and stitches. The dusk was near and so was the abomination. It remembered the events of that night and in a rage lifted itself up from the ground full of corpses. The charring and seeping of the abomination forever transformed its monstrous look. Now it was the Black Butcher.

And thus the dark abomination and the end of a little story

Level 7
Problem is the black abomination might not look like an abomination =P
But it looks cool+evil+more evil after resurrection which mainly makes me like it. White was before dying. It died. over. Now black one comes. more evil = more cool.
But the problem is it being distict in icon size. Bec at last ? we would be voting for would be icons.

Level 25
But it looks cool+evil+more evil after resurrection which mainly makes me like it. White was before dying. It died. over. Now black one comes. more evil = more cool.

In the end, it's still gonna come back as the same abomination.
I personally preferred the lighter one (with the green border). Perhaps it'd be cool to make the eye green too (and perhaps a glow effect for extra awesome, if possible?).

Anyway, I guess I'll join in on this after all. Here's a WIP for a witch doctor Curse ability:
150077-albums4247-picture86963.png

I personally preferred the lighter one (with the green border). Perhaps it'd be cool to make the eye green too (and perhaps a glow effect for extra awesome, if possible?).

Anyway, I guess I'll join in on this after all. Here's a WIP for a witch doctor Curse ability:

Now Kyrbi0 is going to faint in sheer happiness.
Looks good so far.

Level 7

Excellent idea. I hope u can make the doll more vodoo-ish.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

Ooh ooh ooh ooh.

I could see a tiny bit of lightening & contrast on the hand, and perhaps some magicky stuff behind the doll..

But I lurv it. <3

That's a good idea :ogre_love:

I hope all of your icons for a proper set. That is also very imp in the last moment. Don't pick colors such that when the abilities are put together they look worlds apart.

I don't think this applies in this specific contest, because the contest was not specifically to make icons for only one unit, it was just an option that you could do so.
Therefore if someone made 4 icons of 4 different units, the judge would have to be biased in that aspect since they would have no correlation
more or less the same applies to my icons, it just so happens that they are all abominations :wink:

EDIT:
Just for you lokharke
137759d1406808757-icon-contest-12-spells-different-units-abominationspresenting.jpg

EDIT2: these are not final btw

Attachments

• AbominationsPresenting.jpg
    AbominationsPresenting.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 165
Level 7
I don't think this applies in this specific contest, because the contest was not specifically to make icons for only one unit, it was just an option that you could do so.
Therefore if someone made 4 icons of 4 different units, the judge would have to be biased in that aspect since they would have no correlation
more or less the same applies to my icons, it just so happens that they are all abominations :wink:

EDIT:
Just for you lokharke
Then I'll make sure to not judge based on icons forming a set then. Good luck and thanks for taking trouble just for me. I really felt grateful. :)

EDIT: And the icons dont look look like they belong in a completely different set. Meaning they will look even better after completion.

Icon finished. Suggestions are welcome and I'll add it when decided. Enuhgy, Textuh and mo Dusts and Life to make it better. I think it's final already and will start working on Necromancer Heal.

attachment.php

It still needs more texture. Cracks and nooks.
Also. You need to define the light source much clearer. Is it coming towards the picture then add shadows on the sides of the hand. If the light source is either left or right add shadows on the opposite side, and so on.
Right now it's just flat.

Level 7
Icon finished. Suggestions are welcome and I'll add it when decided. Enuhgy, Textuh and mo Dusts and Life to make it better. I think it's final already and will start working on Necromancer Heal.

attachment.php
Just like u said, work on the next one. It is getting late :) U can add textures later but is not necessary since the icon gives the main idea. Please post the WIPs of next ones fast so we can improve them faster (plz???)

Status
Not open for further replies.