• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 - Spells on Different Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad

Mad

Level 15
Howdy friends! :)

I've been updating the rain of fire and essence of blight icons.
Here is the updates:

phq3QE5.png
>
eNrHx2b.png

The thought was to avoid using skulls here (it was painfull to resist adding any skull flair hurr hurr). I've been working around the suggestion with an arm that looks like the aura of blight ( or regeneration aura).

I chosed to redo this without a skull since the first skull didn't satisfy me.

AJnb8fA.png
>
3b1hMCy.png

So I tried out a lot of different hand positions (since I can't draw hands :I) and ended up with this one. But I had so much dead space on the sides, so I decided to add some spooky green fire that is slightly cooler than the rest of the image to make the skull and hand to pop out more.

Thank y'all for the awesome feedback and I hope to hear more from you! :)

Level 7

Here is the updates:

phq3QE5.png
>
eNrHx2b.png

The thought was to avoid using skulls here (it was painfull to resist adding any skull flair hurr hurr). I've been working around the suggestion with an arm that looks like the aura of blight ( or regeneration aura).

AJnb8fA.png
>
3b1hMCy.png

So I tried out a lot of different hand positions (since I can't draw hands :I) and ended up with this one. But I had so much dead space on the sides, so I decided to add some spooky green fire that is slightly cooler than the rest of the image to make the skull and hand to pop out more.

THe original rain of fire is cool. I hope u are not changing that with the hand and scepter, takes away the grandness. :) Essence of Blight's head was already fabulous now the had is also properly aligned and looks nice.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@morbent: MAAAN that first one is sick. I love it, and feels very Warcraft-y. Have to agree with the others that the 2nd one is not so much... But hey, whatevs. It's better than Warcraft. Maybe just less shading & greater contrast.

@Mad: You know I love you. I like the new Rain of Fire, but prefer the older. Opposite sentiments for the Essence of Blight. :p

Level 48

Here is the updates:

phq3QE5.png
>
eNrHx2b.png

AJnb8fA.png
>
3b1hMCy.png

Wh... why would you change the Rain of Fire icon? It's your best one. :(
The other fiery one has a crappy skull that isn't all that impressive, but this one is fantastic. D:
Plus, the new wand(Rain of Fire) is very unfocused, unclear, and the glow is too weak. Doesn't look warcrafty either.
Blight looks fantastic.

Level 25
Second one with first image's contrast and saturation levels.

What this gentleman said.

There is something that drives me nuts when I try to focus on your crit icon though morb. And it is that it feels like the blade is not centered in the wound, I think it is because of the overlapping blood effect that creates that illusion. I don't know if you get what I mean, but eh.

Level 28
Hmm I added the overlapping blood to make the wound more logical, at least, when I saw Rend in wow or Critical strike they were the two opposites. In CritStrike the whole blade was red from sooo much endless blood and in Rend there was none. So I thought maybe I would add blood only on the part where the blade contacts with the wound and make it splash in random directions. Guess it didn't turn out so well :p

I don't intend to remake it though, I can't stand to work on 1 piece for too long :cgrin:

Last two versions:

2.jpg
1.jpg

I still prefer the one with the fat blade but I'll enter the contest with the second since people seem to like it more.

Level 25
Hmm I added the overlapping blood to make the wound more logical, at least, when I saw Rend in wow or Critical strike they were the two opposites. In CritStrike the whole blade was red from sooo much endless blood and in Rend there was none. So I thought maybe I would add blood only on the part where the blade contacts with the wound and make it splash in random directions. Guess it didn't turn out so well :p

I don't intend to remake it though, I can't stand to work on 1 piece for too long :cgrin:

I still prefer the one with the fat blade but I'll enter the contest with the second since people seem to like it more.

Fair enough, it is not too bothersome.

You could try just zoom out a bit on the first one, I think the reason I don't like the first one as much as the second one is because the choice of zoom/composition.

Level 28

Mad

Mad

Level 15
Hemske, All Warcraft 3 icons are zoomed in. Besides, when it's zoomed out, there's too much empty black space.

209078-albums5714-picture87414.png

This should be my final submission, unless the contest gets extended, then I might add other stuff.

That's some real nice icons Morbent :D

I'll now post my final submissions. I'm sorry I didn't work on them more, but I'm just too lazy. Sorry :I.

S4u293k.png
q9xma2h.png
phq3QE5.png
3b1hMCy.png

I wanted to present this a little better, but my warcraft III won't start.

Good luck everyone :>

Attachments

• skeleton's spells.rar
    41.2 KB · Views: 46
Level 7
Morebent and Mad are done? That is nice to see. I am going with the 35,35,20,10 in detail to rate the icons since individually i could rate them 5s. I will first see others rate and then give my rating.

Personally i dont like morbent's "dont give any credits" Only a real @$$hole would do that.

Level 28
Morebent and Mad are done? That is nice to see. I am going with the 35,35,20,10 in detail to rate the icons since individually i could rate them 5s. I will first see others rate and then give my rating.

Personally i dont like morbent's "dont give any credits" Only a real @$$hole would do that.

I like it, but not the credits part.

Firstly, credits for Warcraft 3 are completely useless to me.

Secondly, I do not draw for fame and my name to be placed in every project that uses my icons, I draw because I desire so.

I am able to understand why people think credits here are useful (just like they think of rep perhaps) but I am really unable to see how the fact that I do not want any is an asshole move.

I always thought people liked the fact that I did not want them to waste time for crediting me. Seems I was deeply wrong.

Also, I realize I just went too off-topic. I posted my opinion here because I thought there might be others who think in the same way as lokharke or cake. I will switch to VMing them if they desire to discuss the theme further. Neg rep me and all for going off-topic but please do not delete my post just yet. I will delete it tomorrow myself.

Level 31
Final submission
Windwalk for human worker (From Blademaster) BTNWW_Peasant.png
WW_Peasant.png

Breath of fire for human worker (From Pandaren Brewmaster) BTNBreath_of_fire_Peasant4.png
Breath_of_fire_Peasant4.png

Thunderclap for human worker (From Mountain King)
137936d1407099205-icon-contest-12-spells-different-units-btnthunder_clap3.png
Thunder_clap3.png

Immolation for human worker (From Inferno)
137946d1407104344-icon-contest-12-spells-different-units-pasimmolation_peasant3.png
Immolation_peasant3.png

Attachments

• BTNBreath_of_fire_Peasant4.blp
    6.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DISBTNBreath_of_fire_Peasant4.blp
    3.9 KB · Views: 110
  • BTNThunder_clap3.blp
    7.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DISBTNThunder_clap3.blp
    5.2 KB · Views: 77
  • PASImmolation_peasant3.blp
    5.4 KB · Views: 66