• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hive Olympics 2008 - Race Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
No, we don't. There are many flaws with this structure, and in particular the requirement for models as opposed to creative textures is very limiting. I'm just saying that the idea is kind of neat, but unfortunately the implementation is primitive and an impediment to innovative thought.
HappyTauren said:
Dusk! Don't post! You will raise your post count to 100 or something crazy like that!
Bleh, that was just an excuse to dodge the extreme lameness of the people posting in that topic. I can always harass Ralle to remove my posts/rep if I ever get motivated enough.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Rising Dusk said:
No, we don't. There are many flaws with this structure, and in particular the requirement for models as opposed to creative textures is very limiting. I'm just saying that the idea is kind of neat, but unfortunately the implementation is primitive and an impediment to creative thought.

You speak as if those things were unchangeable. I agree; this contest should allow in-game textures and not require as many models. Even texturing. I also feel that each member should be able to 'help out', if they can, so that a team doesn't fail due to one member's inability. Etc etc.
But all of those things can be stipulated in a Wc3C version. Obviously, if you don't feel like doing so, or don't feel up to it, then it won't happen. But don't write it off because it's imperfect in this form, on this website.

Level 14
Because he was pressured by the staff into starting it sooner rather than later as a result of it being called "the olympics" and the real olympics ending.
Kyrbi0 said:
You speak as if those things were unchangeable. I agree; this contest should allow in-game textures and not require as many models. Even texturing. I also feel that each member should be able to 'help out', if they can, so that a team doesn't fail due to one member's inability. Etc etc.
But all of those things can be stipulated in a Wc3C version. Obviously, if you don't feel like doing so, or don't feel up to it, then it won't happen. But don't write it off because it's imperfect in this form, on this website.
I don't think taking someone else's idea for a contest is a nice thing to do. Besides, this type of contest really suffers from team member disparity, something I'm very much against.

About this contest, I'll be blunt and say straight away that I feel the entire terraining position is ridiculous and that the coding is pretty silly too. I'd use terrain strictly as a tie breaker if everything else were even. Really, forcing users to use an already-made Blizzard melee map would've been better. It's a nice idea and all, but 6 models is a gargantuan undertaking, far more important relative to the contest than any of the coding to go with it. Is that fair? Of course not, it devalues the code. Anyways, race expansion is a theme idea that's been around forever, but it needs to be refined from the state this contest is in.

frostwhisper said:
Well... it's the first serious contest I've planned, so I understand if it's kinda shitty. However, it was indeed inspired by the competition you guys hosted on wc3c.
Please, have some dignity; this isn't (shouldn't be) myspace, colored text doesn't (shouldn't) make you cool. Besides, the contest isn't shitty, it was just rushed. It'll probably still have a good turnout of mediocre entries like most contests here, it's just that it could've been a real hitter if it had been done right.

No sweat, no harm done. Just gives you a goal to shoot for in the future, right?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Alright, can it. As flawed as it may be, the contest remains the same for the time being. My aim will be to learn form this contest and host a much better one in the future. As for the colored text, I'll grow weary of it someday, but that (again) is for me to decide.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
frostwhisper said:
...the contest remains the same for the time being.

Darn. I mean, it's still barely begun, some slight changes could be made (mainly lightening the work-load on modellers to ~4?, or only 1 per race, even). However, as I am a coder, I am ok with it as is :p.

~~~

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with Gilles/Pyritie, Dusk. Especially this:
Rising Dusk said:
It'll probably still have a good turnout of mediocre entries like most contests here...

That's rather rude. I mean, regardless of whether I agree with you or not (I do, no offense THW), that's a pointedly inflammatory statement.
It's not "mean" to have similar contests; rather, it's almost a statement of flattery, of a good idea. I wouldn't avoid having similar contests, especially ones with good ideas, because "they had one first".

Level 34
No, I think it's set to 4 players. And yes you can make any size you want. Remember balance would include how long it takes to get from one base to another. I hate walking long distances to fight.

Level 6
damn that contest looks awsome!
im a coder and i would happily join in any team that need one triggerer.
i know i have no many rep but i think i could do something :).
(damn i still cannot believe that this contest is hosted xD)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Actually, I do have 2 3 questions for frostwhisper: (woah-my-gosh, Kyrbi0's getting back on topic!? :p)

1. This sentence, Submission Rule #7:
frostwhisper said:
7. No triggering is permitted beyond the hero/unit abilities.
Is this true? Can we not include triggers related to the custom building, nor it's abilities?

2. You said "make 6 new models". I really hate to ask this (thereby clarifying it and thus potentially dooming the modellers...), but what exactly do you mean? Even if all the modellers can scratch-model (from nothing), I've found that it's harder to get those perfect Warcraft 3 proportions and looks; thus it would fit less and stand out more. Whereas using advanced geomerging, mdl editing, or even taking base models and radically changing them would allow for a greater variety, and for a better fit overall, methinks.
(That's not to say that scratch-modelling should be outlawed; on the contrary, for those who can do it successfully, they should almost get extra points in the "fitting" category if it does. Just that you should allow various types of edits).

Oh yeah, another one:
3. Can we (by "we", I mean the modellers of our teams) only make 6 custom models, for the 2 heroes/units/buildings? Can we not create stuff like... custom sfx for our heroes/units/buildings' abilities and spells?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Bring it, hawk900. I await your feeble coding attempts, GUI tutorials or not. ;P

~~~

HINDyhat said:
...maybe this would have been changed if someone mentioned something before the contest started...

O RLY?

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/783227-post67.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/783488-post71.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/788213-post115.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/804899-post141.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/805283-post145.html

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I hope to... But it reminds me of the Hero Contest 2 at the Wc3C. That was awexome, wish I could've been a part of it :/... There were so many people saying they'd enter, that even though half of them didn't, the contest still had ~12 entries. Awexomesauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.