• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Cup 2020: Melee Mapping Contest #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
AOW- or Militiacreeping at the orange spot is possible, but would be quite risky if scouted due to the proximity to the opponents base. The most common first creepspot would be one of the greens next to the base with lvl 9 total level and lvl 2 permanent itemdrop similiar to many other maps like LR, NI, etc.

well planned, yeah I was thinking that AOW in the orange, the AOW is in the road exposed to be destroyed, the green is more safe to leave the building

well I think, I am more or less done. Twelve Temples

Last edited:
Level 12
Count me in.

draft.png

Level 24
Finally some time for mapping again, did some touch ups on the layout, probably will start with terraining soon. (I don't like the 5 shops on one line minimap look, but it seems as the most reasonable thing to do.)

One thought is that there's perhaps too few trees near the starting locations?
For comparison, I check a map like (2)Amazonia and there's about 200 trees circling your main base.

Level 29
Finally some time for mapping again, did some touch ups on the layout, probably will start with terraining soon. (I don't like the 5 shops on one line minimap look, but it seems as the most reasonable thing to do.)

is better this set up than the first, mmm, the mines, mercs and the center are forcing this set up

1- very interesting center, labs cant be more near the center
2- mercs near base, labs cant be more near main
3- mines are balanced, the only chance is lab between expos like your previous set up. but gives more circular set up.

this set up breaks that circle, wich IMO is better.

One thought is that there's perhaps too few trees near the starting locations?
For comparison, I check a map like (2)Amazonia and there's about 200 trees circling your main base.
good point, easy fix, bite cliff and replace with wood, use cliff is a good idea to if necesary add more wood.
if the cliff line is small, the amount of wood to add will be also small

Not shure yet wich neutral buildings are being used, but seems very interesting from the minimap.

Level 22
Heya, we're slowly entering the last week of the mapping contest. That's still a lot of time left (for some) but that time shortens.
Since I'd like to see this contest have high quality maps, let me remind you of some commonly missed and overlooked stuff:

- check if you have critters on the map, keep it balanced, symmetrical
- check pathing Ctrl+P (easier to see with terrain and doodads toggled off: Ctrl+T, Ctrl+D), pathing bugs are the most common issues usually caused by ramps
- if your map has boats, check naval pathing with Ctrl+N
- check the Module/Object Manager (F11) to see if you didn't forget some other stuff
- check aggro
- if you used different gold values for GMs, be sure to check if they are the same for all players
- map borders shouldn't be visible by ground units (this is just a visual issue, not that important)

Also regarding the contest rules, the map must be set to "Melee:Yes" so if it says "No", hover your mouse over the text and it should show you what's wrong.
And don't forget to link your map submission, it has to be uploaded as a map on hive, not just a file in this thread.

Good luck with your maps!

Level 29
My map for the contest gonna be Advancing Glaciers.

Here goes the wip:

View attachment 363504

Edit: LV is the version for the contest.

nice , it remembers me Echo isles.
I really like the marketplace, gob. shop positions.

May as well post something for this one!

(2) A Land Divided

another nice , it remembers me last refuge but with no labs, is interesting to play with mercs only too,

map has some few gaps between trees, if you have some free time, that probably would be a top priority for improve the map

upload_2020-9-9_20-24-8.png

upload_2020-9-9_20-25-14.png

upload_2020-9-9_20-25-58.png

very solid entries both of you. IMO.

Last edited:
Level 29

hey , about your map, the asymetric simetry like swamped temple works when both users expand to the same side.

upload_2020-9-10_11-23-47.png

player red expands north and gets more near marketplace
and player blue expands south and gets more near the gob merchant.
so is not equal for both players, the access to the buildings depends on the spawn location

easy fix1: change the marketplace with a gob merchant.
easy fix 2: make both player to expand to the same corner (orange creeps mines one side, red creep mines on the other side of the map).

thats the only thing to point from my part, very nice map

Level 29
Noted, thanks.

E: (2)Marienburg

Decided to keep those shops the same, with Northern Isles as precedent.

northern isles as precedent, has the shops facing to the center, while yours are open to the corners of the map, thats not a minor thing,
the idea is that 1 player has more distance but straigth path to the shop, while the other player has short distance but with a loop because of tree walls that requires more walking, and that more or less the balance idea in northern isles.

upload_2020-9-11_13-30-57.png

(note: rushed paintbrush)

I just want to explain that to you and the audience, the key factor of the shops facing to the tavern in northern isles. I hope it may help you.

good luck

Last edited:
Level 12
@WolfFarkas Good point, thanks. :) I don't think it's that bad though, since both of the shops are useful.
Yes, we do not negate this, but the problem is not usefulness, but accessibility to these buildings. While Market is usually used later (if used at all...), Goblin Merchant is important early game (dust, boots of speed etc.). Player who will reach shop easier/faster can gain unfair advantage ;)
Maybe you could turn 180' these shops and surrounding trees to face Tavern, just like in NI?

Level 29
Level 14
And here is my entry: Frostfire Ridge
(expect necessary improvements/updates after the contest)

" Attention, commanders!
Enter the battlefield of frost and flame, burn your opponents, freeze their minds, and lead your army to a blazing, coldhearted victory! "

Good luck to all the contestants (and the judges!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.