1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Fill your cup and take your pick among the maps best suited for this year's Hive Cup. The 6th Melee Mapping Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Twelve Temples

Submitted by WolfFarkas
This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Twelve Temples

[​IMG]

Description

Twelve temples were constructed to honor the elements in ancient times. The magic of the temples still remains these days, but they are being used by evil creatures. Reclaim them and benefit yourself with their power.

I am not sure if this is acurate, but I feel that this is some sort of Last refuge expandings, and twisted meadow center, but in a more compact layout.

Neutral Buildings

-1 Tavern
-2 Goblin Merchants
-2 Mercenary Camps
-2 Goblin Labs
-2 expanding per player

Creeps

-4 Green
-12 orange
-2 Red

Terrain detail

[​IMG]

Buildings and creeps positions

[​IMG]

loot detail

[​IMG]

neutral buildings & creeps

Tavern

[​IMG]

goblin merchant

[​IMG]

merc. camp

[​IMG]

goblin lab

[​IMG]

easy mine

[​IMG]

hard mine

[​IMG]

green

[​IMG]
[​IMG]

orange

[​IMG]
[​IMG]

gameplay

AOW

[​IMG]
[​IMG]

Militia expand

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

Wall the base

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

Creep Routes & Strategy

standard creeping 1, tavern battle

[​IMG]

standard creeping 2, tavern battle

[​IMG]

standard creeping, hack Perma L4 attempt

[​IMG]

very early hack

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
Note: slow AI, I was wishing to find the hero attacking the green.
It may also happen that enemy may try the orange before the green like in an AOW / Militia / blademaster windwalk item hunt.
I am not pro to confirm, but the strategy seems realistic to be executed.

first tavern hero route

[​IMG]

expanding situations

standard CCW

[​IMG]
note: not much to say, in a hu vs hu, I think this would be the prediction.

go for a red mine first

[​IMG]
note: I think is posible, the red creep is not that hard, and it could be interesting to confuse the enemy, and block it and force an expo vs expo situation.

Author notes

Walking times

Last refuge LV: 16 secs to reach tavern
Terenas stand LV: 20 secs to reach tavern
Twelve Temples: 18 secs to reach tavern
chrono count walking hero starting from the front of townhall

First expanding creep level 14: beta test done with 3 footmans, 4 militia, 1 hero level 1.
Ladder maps comparison: min level 11 (EI), max level 16 + skills)

theme explain

I was thinking in some sort of ancient temples from Azeroth, in very old times, where ancient civilizations worship primitive gods as the elements. I decided to represent Fire, Water, Nature and Light.
It could be related to the Zoram Strand in north of ashenvale, but I like to think that these temples could be anywhere, like hidden in Quel-thalas or in the Swamp of sorrows, or in Sholar bazin Northrend.
the representation is white temples in a green-lively forest.
they are 12 because it was the largest amount to put 8 at edges, 4 in center.

[​IMG]
the Zoram Strand: ashenvale, wow

Changelog

1.0: first upload, map playable.
1.1: removed marketplaces, hard goldmines gold set to 14500, swapped merc. camps - gob labs positions
1.2 added 1 green camp more near the tavern , map now has 4 green camps
1.3 changed gob lab and easy expanding creeps
1.4 did mafe sugestions, changed 3 creeps for hu balance.

Special Thnaks

Cigaro
Jaleveliki
Kaer#2460
Mafe
Mr.Henci
SaveHighKing

for their feedback that helped me to improve my contest entry

This is my entry for the Hive Cup 2020: Melee Mapping Contest #6
Contents

Twelve Temples (Map)

1. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  2. Folderz

Folderz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    These temples have really cool details. Double book drops are interesting. Middle map shops are quite packed that might create some hot gameplay. Lets go with the feedback then!
    1. only one of the two goblin labs can be used with farm
    2. I would turn green camps to face player bases for more options where to start creeping
    3. what should player creep if he goes tavern hero first? Looks like the tavern hero would run for green camp near home.
    4. ashenvale tileset allows usage of cool creeps like dark trolls and furbolgs why not some wildkins too. Those would mix up the usual creeping. I like the merc camp with burning archer.
    5. Like nudl always says: more grass feels calming to the player. I see the brown ground makes minimap very clear but maybe break up those roads little bit with more green!

3. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    1) a mistake , I am very used to do such silly mistakes.

2) I like green creeps with posibility of creep hack, makes the game even more fun very early
    thats why I put them exposed. Orange creep, I prefer to have a safe AOW spot.

3) I am working on to see to have 1 more green more near tavern. edit: done

4) dark troll priest level 4 is unbalanced for 1v1, sleep skill. thats why I use forest trolls instead wich are equal in stats.
    Wildkins have no ranged unit, so I need to combo it with trolls or centaurs or something.
    fulborgs: the ranged shaman has rejuventation wich 2 of them to have anti air makes the creep hard.
    the elder shamman has ligthining shield wich is a big no to me. So thats why I dislike fulborgs they have good melee but they lack good safe balanced ranged units. and I dislike to put fulborgs with trolls,

5) I will see to add some grass on the roads

thanks a lot for the feedback, it saved me 2 mayor things

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  4. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not much too say here. From gameplay I have barely any complaints. I'm worried that players might find a way to abuse the guaranteed lightning shield drop.
    For visuals:
    -Maybe consider downscaling some of the trees at the north of treelines, so that they dont obstruct vision like this (examplary screenshot, other creepcamps are similarly affected):
    upload_2020-9-11_20-3-46.png
    -I imagine the large temples will divide opinion and cause some irritation as it appears as if units could walk beyond them. And they also obstruct vision to actually playble areas in some places. But if you meant to imitate the nightelf-style buildings from classic wow, I think you did very well. If you want go all out easter-egg-style, you could place some nightelf statues in the temples.
    -The terrain at both labs could be made smoother.

5. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    1- changed to random charged L2
    but it seems I will change it for that replenish potion to be 100% safe
    2-ok got it
    3- well mm you cant walk inside them, thats no the idea.
    4- I designed them using the C game camara to not obstruct the game-play, I did many beta-tests and I didnt feel visual obstruction, 8 of them are in no playable areas, so i will do a re-chek of the 4 center ones. as you point to be shure

5- yeah that, in north ashenvale, where there are naga, in wow, the zoram strand, that was not my main idea, thats why not NE statues, also I didnt want to mix green with white.
    [​IMG]

the 12 temples of saint seiya, I am surprised nobody figure out. but well lets say it is an honor to both things.
    [​IMG]

6- ok got it.

you dont have any complains with the greens?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, didnt notice anything extraordinary.

7. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    centaurs: searing arrows was never used in ladder before as greens, both centaurs have heavy armor.
    murlocks: L8 heal is not easy. I did it ment to more increase the hack
    map lacks easy safe green. L5

an user told me to, work greens more, thats why I asked.

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Since, the position of the very similar constructions are not placed in that way, it was a stretch unless you'd count them to get a hint.

9. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    edit: ok

if you literally write in google, "twelve temples" you will get a lot of saint seiya stuff. it wasnt hard to figure out, and the white building design is quite evidence.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I thought you got the inspiration from the WoW Naga ruins, honestly.

11. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    well kinda both,
    -my original idea was to make the map title Zodiacal Temples, wich is also a reference to golden sun dark dawn NDS game. and put the blababla stuff of 1 temple for each zodiacal sign
    - but then I had the balance problem, I couldnt make 12 different temples, imposible all together, similar to the saint seiya saga
    so I did 6 paired temples, and the idea changed to elements.
    wich I did, fire, water, nature and ligth., I wanted to relate it to the old Gods of Azeroth or some sort of very ancient times of wow lore. I mean I felt that praise the elements like some sort of very primitive culture.

and well it is a forest so, yeah kinda remains zoram strand in ashenvale, a wow player would relate it with that. wich I like to be more wide, like yeah it could be a wow area, but I dont want to feel the narrow of wow area, because when you do a wow area you have to stick to it, and I like my freedom of that this can be somewhere in azeroth...,

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020