1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

HIVE 3 Remoosed Beta

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Ralle, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

Have you ever taken a look my HIVE changelog? Not much has changed since the beginning of 2018. That's because I have been working on the next major version of The Hive Workshop since then.

Today is a big day... For me at least. I have waited three years to finally show you what I am working on. Today we are opening beta access for Hive 3 Remoosed.

In 2012 I started working on a version of Hive for XenForo version 1 (from vBulletin 3) which we moved to on June 10, 2016.

In late 2017 XenForo 2 was released and I quickly came to realize that it required a full rewrite of Hive for us to update. What you are going to see today is that version.

It will seem different, but not very. But rest assured every line of code is new and I need help testing it to make sure it works before we move to it.

The primary goal of this version is to be compatible with XenForo 2, not to rethink every aspect of the site. But porting every piece of functionality from old to new would leave me dead from boredom, so I have of course made improvements, especially to aspects I know to be lacking. Resource search anyone?

You will find bugs, you will find quirks. You will find things you don't like, even things you hate. But please be respectful. I care very deeply about this project and it hurts when people step on it. I want feedback, lots of it. I want suggestions. I want feelings, but expressed in a non-attacking way. That's all I ask.

Now, go take a look:
    Hive 3 Remoosed

NOTICE - This is the beta version of HIVE. It runs on an outdated backup of HIVE. Everything posted here will be deleted in the next run of the beta or when we finally migrate. If you want to keep doing things on HIVE, don't use the BETA. Only use this site for testing features.

[​IMG]

I have attempted to make a list of changes. But it's not easy to keep track of what you've been doing for the past three years. This project is older than my two year old daughter by now.

[​IMG]

The next major version of the forum platform Hive is based on. You can read the changes here. I won't go much into detail about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As usual, @Archian has been a huge contributor on the design. This time around @Mythic also played a big part. Like it or not, the design is a Reforged inspired theme. We have tried simplifying the navigation and focused on what the site is about and diverged from how XenForo typically looks.

We still plan on making a Night Elf theme. Perhaps if only few bugs are found, we'll have one by launch day.

[​IMG]

Wait what? Yes... I have decided to remove reputation. Current reputation is converted to XenForo 2 reactions such as like, love and angry. The old Reputation messages are converted to profile posts. Reputation contest awards are converted to experience awards, read more about them below. I did not want to implement a reputation system when all communities these days use reactions. Reactions also happen to work better on mobile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In place of of your reputation gems, we are now going to show an experience bar with your level. Experience can today be gained in the following ways:
    • Starting a thread
    • Replying to a thread
    • Submitting a resource
    • Receiving a positive reaction
    • Receiving an experience award (from a contest)

[​IMG]

The experience gained from these actions varies by the type of action (and section). E.g. a thread in Tutorials might give more exp than one in Warcraft Discussion. The system can easily be expanded to support other actions too. These are just the ones I came up with.

Down the line you might be able to unlock features on the site when you reach various levels.

[​IMG]

This is where I spent most of my time in the past years. Rebuilding the resource system. It's the most complicated part of Hive. A lot of things will look familiar but there are a few changes.

SEARCH

I made a big mistake when I decided to rely on the built-in search in XenForo for Hive 2. Today the search field is coming back to the resource section.

[​IMG]

SIMPLER BUNDLE/RESOURCE EDIT

Editing a resource inside a bundle now requires fewer clicks as you can edit, add and remove resources on a bundle without first having to click "Edit" on the bundle.

You can now also re-order the resources with drag and drop if you have a preference as to the order of the resources.

Buttons have been added to insert preview images into the description for a richer experience.

IMPROVED "VIEW RESOURCES IN USE" & "VIEW USAGE"

The "View resources in use" and "View usage" systems have been accused of being incorrect in the past. This is because the system looks for file collisions between maps and resources. Sometimes a resource contains a commonly used texture or model which causes the system to present unexpected resources being used. The new system now shows a more descriptive view of what's going on.

View usage (when a file occurs in multiple resources):
    [​IMG]

Resources in use (when a file occurs in multiple resources):
    [​IMG]

EXCLUDE TAGS FROM RESULTS

For years we've had the ability to show only resources with the following tags. Now we also have the ability to exclude all resources with a tag.

[​IMG]

BETTER SUPPORT FOR HD/SD/Classic

We have maps from before Reforged, maps from Reforged in SD and HD. To make it easy to find what you are looking for, we now have this switch:

[​IMG]

BETTER VIEW IN 3D

The "View in 3D" page is now fullscreen and has controls for switching between cameras, animations and team color.

[​IMG]

RESOURCES WIDGET

Back in the old days we had a widget showing recent/random/etc resources. We have all missed it. So now it's back.

[​IMG]

SIMPLIFIED ICON UPLOAD

When uploading an icon, you can now upload a borderless icon and it will automatically apply the borders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The award medals system has been ported. Changes of note include showing a maximum of 4 awards on your profile. I know. Not a lot. But at least now you can re-order them using the new "Manage medals" page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Streams are back. The reason we took them away is because the version for XF1 was no longer maintained and the Twitch API changed so our add-on broke.

Please test all features of the site and submit any feedback into the dedicated Remoosed BETA Feedback forum. Leave this thread to all the "oohs" and "aahs".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2020
  2. stein123

stein123

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    such a heavy work, congratulations! will test it rn!

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So experience for just posting anything, no matter how useless?

First thing I seemed to be bothered by is a bit of eye hurting from looking at the new colours, background and whatnot compared to the current one.

4. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    The remoose we deserve!

There's a great increase in speed, is what I immediately noticed. A seasone themed background as per usual would not be bad I guess. Let's judge it more before going forward, though.

Thanks for the great work man. Here's hoping custom campaigns come back soon and with it the old boys from the block.

5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Congratulations on the launch! I'll take a tour shortly. Quick question - support for future development in 1.27b and prior is still allowed I presume?

6. Hazop

Hazop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks quite good! A fresh new look for the Hive Workshop, will still miss the old/current one o7

7. Hell_Master

Hell_Master

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Now, this new version of the site is actually good. The UI looks cleaner than the previous one and I like how it utilizes the usage of a sticky navigation bar in order for the users to have an easier time accessing other parts of the sites without having to bother themselves to scroll back up. The idea of using more visuals like icons in place of texts appeals to me too personally because it adds to the UI's compactness.

8. looking_for_help

looking_for_help

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It looks really great. It is nice that you can now directly see user reactions at the bottom of each post.

Just one thing: I noticed that (v)Jass code has no syntax highlighting anymore in the new Hive version. I hope it is planned to implement this?

9. chopinski

chopinski

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Absolutely fantastic, great work!!!

One thing I noticed right out the bat that feels weird is that the view as a whole is thinner. The site do not stretch to fit my whole monitor, it is centralized and I personally like when it occupy the who page, but that's my personal preference. It's great to see that so much passion is still being poured into this community, makes me happy.

10. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Finally, some good fucking news for this year and WC3.

Honestly, this is the best thing to have happened to WC3 this year. Outstanding stuff.

Kudos to @Ralle

11. Tommi Gustafsson

Tommi Gustafsson

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks good. :)

How about styling scrollbars in Chrome to fit the theme?

12. wc3neverdies

wc3neverdies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A "Reforged" done right. This looks awesome.

13. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow! Truly impressive stuff! I'll take a more thorough look and attempt to provide more feedback at some point if I have spare time for it.
    First immediate thing that I would recommend:
    [​IMG]
    The "sort by" segment in the resource section could possibly be moved to the top of the resource section:
    [​IMG]

And separated from the filter segment. Sorting is a highly needed and oft-utilized part of the search system and right now it is in a hard-to-reach place, right at the bottom of the filters. Plus I feel like there's an inherent difference between a filter and sorting. I feel like it would be more convenient for users to be able to sort any filtered items quickly without scrolling down.
    I have to say I already love the improvement I've seen, as well as the graphical overhaul. Gonna be weird for the Hive to be red and black instead of green, but it certainly looks a whole lot prettier now. :thumbs_up:

14. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot for all the kind words :)

It's disabled for SE, could we it will be disabled for OT as well.

Oh yeah. An updated site is not synonymous with a change in policy. Please make a separate thread about this if you want elaboration.

If that's the case, it's a bug.

Good idea.

You're right.

15. Shido

Shido

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hive 3 look decent, although i still refer giving exp for effort tho. But I still disappointed.
    It’s not HWS without the legendary :cgrin:. Never like a false smiley looking thing that deserve to be burned down to ashes. Give it back or make :cgrin: great again. Long live sir haosis.

16. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We could make that a reaction at some point :)

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd rather have experience for resource threads (tools, tutorials etc.) and such.
    From my point of view, experience is useless. I think medals would actually be the best thing to remain.
    Resources already have a rating system.

18. chopinski

chopinski

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @Ralle the View3D seems to be occupying only half of the total screen, which makes the aspect ratio a bit wonky, almost like dwarfing everything. I would recommend using the whole screen available to this functionality, it will make viewing the models a more pleasant and more detailed experience.

ViewRatio.png

An example of what I was taking earlier about the site not utilizing the whole available space below. It makes formatting weird.

Original: Original.png Remoosed: MakeItWider.png

19. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    nice, just tested the new site, search works now!

20. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm glad you guys like the design :) I'm still working on it. If you notice any area that looks weird or could be improved let us know.

Go test out everthing! See how everything looks and feels! Try the Search function! Manage your medals! Comment on the resource button on your profiles. See the new profile settings! Do you like the EXP system? How does resource pages look now? Let us know what you think :)

This is a known issue and will be fixed :)