1. Triumph has risen from these uncharted shores. The 34th Modeling Contest Results are out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Awaken what lies in the heart of your swarm. The 17th Techtree Contest has arrived!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Hive Workshop is launching its first HD modelling contest. How HD should it be?
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff Job Openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

HIVE 3 Remoosed Beta

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Ralle, Dec 28, 2020.

1. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ooh! aah! Looking forward to trying it out.

At first impression, the top navigation icons are really tiny for me when scrolling down (1600x900), it's kind of eye-straining, same for the notification thing in the bottom right of the page (about the password resets).

While the design looks nice, it has a sort of "generic" feel to me, but I'm sure that's just because it's new and unfamiliar and will take some getting used to after all these years of the classic Hive theme. Still looking forward to a night elf theme, maybe consider making orc/human/undead themes as well.

My reputation though, noooooooooooo :'( :p

2. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Special mention for making the 3.0 run much, much, much smoother than the 2.0 one <3

And I was so hyped to write another essay about seach enginge design... :(

/seriously though, tested it and didn't find any issues :) good job!

Yeah, I don't really cae about the "Reforged" part, though it's nice to see that you're open to making other "skins" (in quotes, because I'm a web design scrub and I don't know if it's the correct term :D) and I'm definetely switching to a NE one when it's out.

As for the general design... it's a pretty significant departure from the current one, so it's definetely going to take some getting used to, but that's okay. Not really a fan of how much seemingly pure black empty space there is on the sides, especially on the main page. Could you maybe make it stretch a bit more? Or go with a really dark shade of grey instead?

Other than that, I dig the new design. Again, good job! :)

That's cool, but about the broader reputation/experience system...

I'll be honest, I liked the reputation system, but if you want to retire it then that's fine with me. My issue is that the new "experience" system seems kinda... pointless? I mean, if you're going to get experience just for posting, then it encourages people to spam posts rather than trying to contribute to the discussion in any way.

Of course, you can have mods smack people if they choose to post semi-related posts just for experience, but is it really an issue that we need to potentially create for ourselves? I think some meter of reactions that a user has received would be better, but then that's pretty much a reputation system, just without the points.

If you're going to remove reputation, I'd much rather if it wasn't replaced by anything. Use medals to reward people for significantly contributing to the site or ranking high in contests, ratings to, well, rate resources and reactions to allow users to thank others for useful posts. I think that's enough.

It's so cool that we finally have the technology to do this! :)

In all seriousness, all resource section changes look great.

---

So, to summarize - not a fan of the experience system and the black space to the sides of the main page, but everything else looks really, really nice :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  3. SebioL

SebioL

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very good, especially the features for models: "View in 3D", seem to have been improved, at least the HD-Reforged to all acessories editions already appear in the overview. Congratulations to the Hive team for the update!

4. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I cannot address everything but I do add notes to my list of things to fix.

Experience varies by what you do, take a look at the experience tab in your profiles. It can be tweaked. More exp can be gained from some things than others. We can also decide to disable exp for posts, etc. It's a system that can be modified as we find out what works and what doesn't. It's very flexible.

5. Wadjet

Wadjet

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    It looks great. Good job.

6. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well done Chieftain, well done. Thank you guys for the hard work.

Apart from everything mentioned, I have a somehow.. good ol' suggestion. I would like to bring on a subject we've longed to see again... Director's Cut. Should it rise from the ashes, I'm sure it would serve a good feature once again.

We're all ears in case you have any news regarding this matter.

7. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thank you all for your comments! I want to stress what Ralle already said, that we are reading each post but we might not respond to everyone.

Also!
    Just want to point out that the original inspiration for the site theme was inspired by the original warcraft 3 installer menu, not really Reforged.

hqdefault.jpg

But yes, Reforged also played a part.

8. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    If it will be Reforged night elf theme then it changes little, i want to keep classic nelven theme and ideally there should be a line up of Orcish, Human and Undead ones so people have choice according to their prefferences

9. kovadarra

kovadarra

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cool stuff. Automatic icon border application seems helpful, along with the revised search system. Not really sure about experience being granted just by starting a thread, replying to one or submitting a resource (and more generally speaking, perhaps attempting to quantify a user's merit is a bit iffy as a concept to begin with and presents as a vacuous e-penis system in practice). The orange accent in the visual design gives off a comfy feeling, I like it!

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Maybe rating a resource, a reviewer marking a review as useful, downloading/uploading a resource could give experience. A certain number of likes on a post could do it too.
    Not that experience is useful in any way though as reputation. In the end, comments are what make or kill your day.

11. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was also wondering when the new rating system would come into effect, but IIRC it wasn't planned to be part of Hive3.

12. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Director's Cut will return, as we've stated before. But it will come at a later point. Rest assured, we plan on bringing it back. Probably after we move over to Hive 3 i.e. when the BETA ends.

DC_hiverating02.png

13. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh, one thing I noticed. I have access to reports I don't have on the live version. 16 of them in fact.

14. Storm Knight

Storm Knight

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will all available links for resources be ported over with the new version transition ?

I linked a LOT of resources to not be forced to pin some 100 - 200+ tabs. are those all going to get yeeetus deletus after release ?

15. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That is because it’s the beta version of HIVE. It runs on an outdated backup of HIVE. Everything posted there will be deleted in the next run of the beta or when we finally migrate. If you want to keep doing things on HIVE, don't use the BETA. Only use the BETA site for testing features.

EDIT: Check out the model viewer on the BETA. It got an update:

View in 3D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  16. Map Designer

Map Designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    you might be interested in Remoosed BETA Feedback
    also, the site seem more cool and prolly easier to me (maybe becuz I still didnt get used to hive 2.0 xD)
    also, maps there get approved much faster :p
    You mean everything THERE will be deleted?

is it smoother though?

17. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, all of the reports are on threads from 2016-2017.
    And the backup is a few days old, not years.

So unless someone went and reported a bunch of old threads a few days ago AND they all got sorted out before I noticed them.. I have access to more reports than previously.

18. Warseeker

Warseeker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I want my reputation back... :(

[​IMG]

Just kidding. The new site looks good overall.

19. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe I used a wrong word, but it definetely loads a lot faster for me.

20. Storm Knight

Storm Knight

Resources:
    Resources:
    Since no one bothered answering my question, i'll ask again. maybe tag @Archian

Are all the existing links to Hive going to be wiped out ? i saved a lot of resource links just so i wouldn't be forced to pin them. they are critical for my overall projects. with this announcement, i wonder if i have to find every single one on the beta and save it ?