• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive 2 Sneak Peek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Meh, I like the current rep system... >.>
How about we rather go retro?
Bring back them gems of the past!

The technical part is good, the design is not that good since it's way too blizzardish. The Hive Workshop must be the unique website with its own style, not the style that is cloned from other sites. You deserve better thing.

Hive is based on Blizzard game modding, and the Blizzard style is practical.
I don't really see the problem.

Level 22
The technical part is good, the design is not that good since it's way too blizzardish. The Hive Workshop must be the unique website with its own style, not the style that is cloned from other sites. You deserve better thing.

122581-albums6790-picture76610.png

Are ya sayin' we need to scrap the rep system mah boi? Coz the rep
system ain't so unique mah boi, I know it ain't uh-uh, mah boi.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

As I have said several times. The screenshots are not 100% true with what we are planning. The rep system will be the same.

But in form of levels and XP? Or are you going to abandon that idea?

my story and two cents

226052-albums6627-picture76631.png

So I had to do a website critique for my web development class and naturally I picked... duh... hiveworkshop.com. After 10 minutes of presenting in a rush I could tell that my professor was anxious to get me away from the podium. I was trying to impress on everyone how powerful a web community could be and how organizing open-source resources was a difficult task that if handled well could produce amazing work. Well, I think my point was not only lost on the bored looking community college students but also on my instructor who probably thought, "damn this guy graduated law school and is still nuts for warcraft... what a loser." He then pointed out that the site was a simple vBulletin template and that it was common (which totally misses the point). Anyway, now I can proudly go back to the class and make a dork of myself again and point out the new design.

My critique of the new site (2 cents worth). It looks really nice and keeps a similar feel so we won't all get confused. Consistency is a dying virtue in the IT world and I swear if my facebook changes one more time I will in fact bitch about again though I will probably never leave because its wireless connection to my life-force has taken deep hold on my soul. In class we learn that its important to anticipate the next changes in software development and ensure that all code is not only valid on existing systems but likely to be valid on the next systems. The mobile accessibility looks great though my phone is too dumb to use it. I suspect that the site will be written in html5 and css3 with more javascript but hey, I'm no expert. I think the overhaul was a bit overdue and will ensure the continued success of the site. I'm so grateful to Ralle, Orcnet and the rest of you for creating and being in this world, I have too much fun here. My only suggestion is to take the extra time to make sure that the new changes won't be necessary again soon. I love that the site has stayed the same since I started using it, though I'm excited for the new threads, I hope they serve us well for many years to come. Great work Ralle, we do really appreciate it :) But if I don't get to keep my rep, I swear to god... I'm never coming back :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

What if the reputation system was kept, but it'd be shown as EXP bar with levels?

One what I came up with would be like this: Level would increase by 1 when you reach (10+10*current lvl^1.5) reputation. You will be level 5 when you reach 90 rep. Level 10 needs 280 rep, level 20 needs 838 rep and level 30 needs 1571 rep.

I have 40 reputation points, so I would get to level 3 just and just (10+10*2^1.5=38), I would need to get to 62 rep to earn next level.

e.g. Ralle would be on level 44.

Edit: There's the EXP bar:
131042d1385892405-hive-2-sneak-peek-wc3_threads.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Can't say I agree to that, and really? You're going to moan about the forum icons...? >.>
- They're icons, you'll get used to them.
(...)
Considering this is my preferred forum style and I never ever enjoyed those «mark as read» buttons * number of forums, allow me to disagree.
The buttons are also too far away from the cell borders. Perhaps I'd like them better if they were closer together, but still... why would you, for example, change Off-Topic's icon? The beer comes from the times of wc3sear.ch (different icon, but still ale cup) and it stayed because it looked good and fitting. My policy on this: don't change what doesn't need changing, as it just turns worse.

I don't agree to this either, better keep it clean for our eyes to better focus on the writings of other users than to be distracted by background images.
Huh, that's very person-dependable and, anyway, I was talking of a background image appearing once after the wall, not iterating limitless times like the current profile background pictures.

Uh, we have awards? If you don't want minor awards to clutter up the space below the user info, you could just set it so it only appears in your award showcase on your profile page like you do runner-up contest awards. It would be the exact same system.
Sure. My proposal was how they would appear, sort of relative to how information is displayed under the nickname, in posts.

(...)
i.e. not just an anonymous upvote that feeds the meter.
I agree. This should be an imperative principle regardless of the system used in the end.

Level 20
That's looking great!
I've heard a lot of good things about XenForo but don't currently frequent any forums using it.

My only request/gripe:
Please, please, please change XenForo's default login pane, you know the thing that drops down from the top and pushes the whole site down so you can log in?

At the very least I think it should have a fixed position, so it just overlaps the site but doesn't push it all down.

Better yet make it a side bar or just use a standard form as Hive has now.

Ok maybe it's just me, but I just find the whole thing really annoying and invasive :/

Level 20
Just tick the "Keep me logged in" and forget about it :). I will see what I can do. Personally, I like that login bar.

I'll admit (begrudgingly!) that that's a fair suggestion of a work around.
I could argue on but that would just be shamefully pedantic :wink:

Anyway if I'm the only one who seems to dislike it, I can't expect you to look over it on my account - I find it annoying, but have to admit it's all of a dozen seconds that I have to look at it - your time is undoubtedly better spent elsewhere.

I'm part of another huge forum that uses it. Much bigger than THW.

Cool! :eekani:

Level 4
it looks really awesome! but i noticed something that boggles my mind and got me wondering,

the "Select Game" feature is just a theme? i mean when you select the diablo game then all of the appearances will look diabolic, right? What if, when you select Starcraft 2 for example, it won't just change the theme but also, all the maps, models, etc. of that same genre will be there? so it's much more easier for newbies like me to interact with the environment.

Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

Hey ralle, I'm suggesting this: You should have a more secured site for New people that attempts to Advertise products on this site and a Strict email verification to ensure people and the Are you a Bot option, Cause some people click in yes on that option. I like the new Design tho, but I prefer on Site security.

it looks really awesome! but i noticed something that boggles my mind and got me wondering,

the "Select Game" feature is just a theme? i mean when you select the diablo game then all of the appearances will look diabolic, right? What if, when you select Starcraft 2 for example, it won't just change the theme but also, all the maps, models, etc. of that same genre will be there? so it's much more easier for newbies like me to interact with the environment.
Just a theme. The button is a dropdown menu which contains other options (such as models, textures, etc). Trust Archian on this.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

No that's perfect for a forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.