XenForo 2.0 and what to come

Ralle

Owner
Level 70
Recently the developers of our forum platform XenForo announced version 2.0. Have a look around that site and get a feel of what's changed. What I think will matter most to you are the following:

Emoji (utf8mb4) support
If you run a version of MySQL that supports utf8mb4, you can convert your tables (through a script) to use that to allow emojis to be used in posts: ☕️️ Currently, the underlying emojis come from the OS/browser so they may differ between visitors.

New rich text editor
We're using a new rich text editor. This system is more actively maintained and easier to customize to fit our needs.

Member tooltip replaces member card
Clicking a username will now take you directly to the user profile rather than creating an overlay. Hovering a username will instead bring up a tooltip with similar information to the existing member card. (There may be implementation changes to this for touch devices.)

Attachments shown in previews
When previewing a message, any embedded attachments will now be displayed (instead of a "view attachment" text placeholder).

There are many changes. When this update is released, I will probably spend a few months updating our own addons to support this new version. I just figured I would show you something from the future :).

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Unread alert/conversation indicator in favicon, title tag
Oh yes

Moderators may now ban users directly (by permission)
Oh fuck

Edit: And those likes will promote PC atmosphere which rewards self censorship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 17
@Ralle, well it's looking different since I was last here.. looks like you finally managed to incorporate a bit of change! Only took you 5 or so years ;)

Ralle

Owner
Level 70
Yeah, so short time :D. The old codebase was made back when I was completely uneducated. I couldn't touch it without feeling disgust :D.

Anyway, coast this site and then the one I linked at the top and give feedback. Perhaps some of it could go back to the XenForo developers if something is really bad.