• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

FlameofInvasion 0.2

FlameofInvasion
Inspired from Art of Defense maps, I wanted to finish a short-term side project before going back to bigger works.
I was frustrated of badly made ones designed by greasy teens which just spawns a bunch of creeps in a ugly terrain & having broken features ; plus not being adapted to any lobby size.
Following this, I created this one helped by my extensive experience as a mapper.
I tested it solo with 0, 5, 11 and 17 normal AI allies, so it surely needs adjustments with real players.

General

Melee changes

Modes

Difficulty

Creeps

Creep camps

Creep hut

Terrain

Blocked mines

Hints

Credits

Defend your base against endless waves of creeps for 60 minutes
Challenge your skills and knowledge of Warcraft 3
You loose if the last main building is destroyed
Play solo, with friends or even AI
The game difficulty scales with the number of players & AI
Two gamemodes, 4 difficulty levels
Optimized to avoid clustering & laggs but the elders can correct me when needed
Easy AI counts as 0.5 player, Normal 0.75 and Insane 1.5

The gamemode needed some adaptations to avoid useless features
Heavy air units deals a bit less damage
Human flying machine is stronger but more expensive
Trees have 500HP
Owl scout can attack
Level 1 hawk can attack
Hero XP gain reduced by 40%
120 food cap
80% upkeep at 101-120 (you gain 2 gold instead of 10)

Faithful
Closest to vanilla Warcraft 3

Extra
New features for players & creeps
Spicy secrets
Not supposed to be easier or harder

Difficulty is meant to change the game setup, not the amount of creep and their strength
Easy
Comfortable start for casual players
Creep camps start to spawn in 150s
Double gold in goldmines
Start with double resources
Blocked mines within the player area
Player area permanently revealed
Disabled friendly fire
Start with numerous layers of defensive towers

Medium
No extra rules
Start with few towers at the entrance
Creep camps start to spawn in 120s
Player area terrain visible

Hard
Enough to punish slowpokes
Creep camps start to spawn in 120s
Creep area gains defensive towers with an armor aura
No explored terrain, permanent black mask

Insane
Challenge your micro, macro and team skills !
Creep camps start to spawn in 90s
No bounty on creeps
Halved chances on item drops
Half gold in goldmines
No shared vision
Creep area gains defensive towers with an armor aura
No explored terrain, permanent black mask
Pray your gods if you got any

Almost every creep of the game are present, with few extras
They use their abilities
Higher the level, better the looted item
More there's players, more there can exist at the same time
Will attack towards the most northern standing main building, updated at each construction/destruction

image.png

Level 1 to 10
Attacks nearby units
Starts very weak, finishes very strong & hard to destroy
in Extra mode, increases nearby creep damage by +25%

Creep spawn
Spawns a random creep every minute
25% of chances to spawn a Level-1 unit (Level 1 will just spawn a Level 1 unit)
50% of chances to spawn a Level unit
25% of chances to spawn a Level+1 unit

Creep pool
If the max creep is reached, will store it in a global pool
Every second, will attempt to spawn one creep from the pool on one random camp if there's space

Camp spawn
For every period will select random predefined points
If the point is empty, will spawn a Level 1 camp
If the point has a camp, will upgrade it to the next level if it was selected Level times
The period gets longer at each iteration
The period is longer more there's creep stored in the pool
The period reaches a max corresponding to the number of players. More there's players, lower is the max period
Destroying a camp makes the period shorter, more when the level is higher

Can be destroyed to slow down the next spawn period
Accumulates for each next period (Destroying 3 will slow down the next 3 cycles)

image.png

Up to 18 players start in the bottom half of the map
Creeps camps spawns in the top half of the map, in a elevated terrain
Unused goldmines contains less gold, more when the number of player increases
Goblin Laboratory and Shop in the bottom
Fountain of power in the center of the bottom half
Tavern right in the center of the map
Mercenary camp with High Troll Priest, Rock Golem, Ogre Magi and Troll Berserker

image.png

Controlled by creeps
Replaced by a captured mine when destroyed by a player
Each captured mine gives 2 gold and 1 wood per second for all players
Can be captured back by creeps
Found in the creep area

Raid creep camps when possible, but beware of flankers !
Creeps are much more dangerous in elevated plateaus
Air creeps will go straight to the first main building, no matter the terrain
Goblin Shredder can provide a very high lumber income for low food cost
The center is harder to defend, but controlling it gives you a bit more flexibility
Do not count on your starting towers to fend of enemies. Use them as a early support to buy more time.
Loosing a base isn't the end yet, fall back to a backline and continue the fight !
You can still gain gold by looting creeps (if not in insane difficulty), selling excess items and other custom mechanics
High level creeps deals chaos damage, ignoring fortified armor for towers
Keep some trees alive at chokepoints to conserve the defensive advantage
Do not attempt to cheat in singleplayer or you will be kicked out

And what's next ?
The map needs first balance chances about the creeps, which can easily go very sensibly either way. It must keep the vanilla feel of an almost untouched Warcraft 3 content.
Then more secrets, maybe modes, and finally map variants.
Don't hesitate to share replays so I can gauge how games unfolded, which are precious data to work on.
Can I do my own edits ?
Of course, as long as you credit me and who made the additional models !
If you aren't afraid of touching JASS it's up to you, but good luck figuring out a good balance.
Contents

FlameofInvasion 0.2 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
A nice concept but has a basic gameplay experience overall using the same known melee factions while the enemy is sending waves of regular creeps constantly. There's some dynamism but it's mostly keeping a stand towards the middle of the map and later...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A nice concept but has a basic gameplay experience overall using the same known melee factions while the enemy is sending waves of regular creeps constantly. There's some dynamism but it's mostly keeping a stand towards the middle of the map and later spamming towers near occupied mines.
A similar map has been uploaded somewhat recently, still with the emphasis on core game mechanics.

Approved

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

A nice concept but has a basic gameplay experience overall using the same known melee factions while the enemy is sending waves of regular creeps constantly. There's some dynamism but it's mostly keeping a stand towards the middle of the map and later spamming towers near occupied mines.
A similar map has been uploaded somewhat recently, still with the emphasis on core game mechanics.
Indeed, the goal was to give an almost untouched Warcraft 3 content, as opposed to other maps which has a rather dumb power creep.
Well, almost. In extra mode there's some new content for players. Still it is most centered around vanilla gameplay.

I like the idea of this map, given that I also had a similar concept recently. In my opinion, strategy wise, this is much more fleshed out compared to what I did. However, one major issue that tend to be forgotten in this scale of map is that cluster of units can create lag for players on some laptops. From my personal testing on full AI, around 15-20 minutes into the game, if the player team unable to push, the game becomes extremely laggy that players no longer able to properly control their army without precognition (as in, predict what happened in the next few seconds and act on the prediction beforehand) and hotkey mastery.

A strategy that I did in my map for this issue is to cap the amount of enemies in the map. When the enemy is below this cap, spawn more, when above or at cap, stop spawning until it is below the cap again. This way, there's always a lot of creep for players to deal with, but it is not to a level where the game cannot interact well with the creeps.

EDIT:

I'll try again and see if it is consistent or not.

EDIT:

Seems to be Night Elf AI causing issues due to pathing, definitely something from the default melee and not part of the map issue.

Last edited:
An interesting take of a defense map combined with melee-esque gameplay. I personally argue that more custom stuff is beneficial, but that is something arguable since it influences balance a lot. A nitpick that comes to mind is the mercenary camp, since it doesn't seem to be randomized.

Tested on Easy. At larger player numbers, it is easier to get overwhelmed unless everyone coordinates their part of the defense properly. I personally find Human Riflemen one of the most effective countermeasures against most creep for this difficulty, as long as somebody else willing to tank or macroed well to avoid damage.

An interesting take of a defense map combined with melee-esque gameplay. I personally argue that more custom stuff is beneficial, but that is something arguable since it influences balance a lot. A nitpick that comes to mind is the mercenary camp, since it doesn't seem to be randomized.

Tested on Easy. At larger player numbers, it is easier to get overwhelmed unless everyone coordinates their part of the defense properly. I personally find Human Riflemen one of the most effective countermeasures against most creep for this difficulty, as long as somebody else willing to tank or macroed well to avoid damage.
Thank you for the feedback.
I could extend a bit the Extra mode with custom stuff, but right now I don't want to go too far from melee since the map is about testing your melee skills.
I haven't thought about randomizing the mercenary camp, but I want the map as deterministic as possible. Indeed creeps are random but their danger comes from their diversity of abilities and numbers ; so the randomness makes that there's roughly the same amount of each creep at a certain moment.
I don't want to add broken mercenaries too, since people would rely on them too much. That's why I put high level creeps you could get in melee.

Through testing I used mass ranged to support the AI allies, which is effective unless your ally dies of death. Let's see what other test would do.

Last edited:
Fun map with great concept in mind, though the waves come in too fast in any difficulties.
It is intended the creeps comes fast, you just have like a hero and 1-2 units ; although creeps arrive at level 1 and they are only a few of them. Plus killing them gives some gold to better kickstart your base, units and upgrades. That's why the harder levels are here to punish slowpokes !
Don't focus on towers at first because they are too expensive and not mobile enough.
You may use some melee build order to help the beginning.

Last edited:
Level 1
hello, i put this file in Documents>Warcraft III>Maps, but the map isnt showing, where should i put the file in?