• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fallout Tactics:Feral Despair v1.0.0

full

Background info:
My unfinished Fallout conversion TBS project, open for adoption (seriously, do whatever you want with it, some of the algorithms were invented by me from 0, so could be useful to other newcomers, as myself once) after 2 years of development (if anyone wants to continue the project, which I'd doubt), though the "code" is well commented and easy to navigate.
I moved on (modding Morrowind now, adding rather simple stuff compared to this project) and doubt I'd continue porting Fallout to Wc3, because it takes too much effort for my current state of health and mental health, given all the artificial obstacles.
----
Q: Why posted as template?
A: This was supposed to be the template map for my Fallout conversion, I'd use its structure for all additional locations. The terrain on its own is also roughly playable and could be used for a Fallout-themed map. All it takes is adding the extra starting locations (for other players) and resources, whatever you need. I haven't edited this map in half a year and consider it playable as is, minus compatibility with the latest Reforged patches, since I have no idea, if they affect some natives I used, etc.

As for the general playability, technically the map does have several quests and one main quest with a victory condition, some hidden quests (I advise you pick at least 8 Perception for your main character and click "INSPECT" on most items, areas, doodads, etc.
----
Credits: for detailed credits type /Credits in game.
Imported assets: -Grendel, -JonNny, .Kc, 3rgytr54, 4eNNightmare, 67chrome, A Void, AlienArsonist, AlienArSystem, Amigurumi, ana, Anachron, Arowanna, Avatars Lord, -Berz-, bisnar13, Blood Raven, bounty hunter2, Callahan, cash42, Cavman, Chaosium, chilla_killa, ChirusHighwind, CRAZYRUSSIAN, CybrgDragon, Daffa the Mage, Dark_Desent, darkdeathknight, Darkfang, DarkLord, Deathbringer, DEFACKTwalker, Dentothor, Deolrin, Deon, Dionesiist, Direfury, Discipline, enjoy, epsilon, Fingolfin, Firelord213, FrIkY, Gar'nogal, General Frank, Godslayer, Goldwolf, GooS, Graber, graystuff111, Grey Knight, halo, Ham Ham, HammerFist132, HappyTauren, Hayate, Hellish Hybrid, HerrDave, Horn, I3lackDeath, Ice, Illidan(Evil)X, InfernalTater, Infinitynexus, inhuman89, JB_McKnight, JesusHipster, Justify, Kazzo, KelThuzad, Ket, Kitabatake, Kofi_Banan, kola, Kwaliti, L_Lawliet, Lord_T, Mad, Marcos DAB, MassiveMaster, Mechanical Man, Mecheon, MEXANuK, Mr.Goblin, Muoteck, Murcologist, NFWar, Nichita_00, Nordmar, oh_snap, Oliver, PeeKay, Pins, PrinceYaser, purparisien, Quilnez, Raging Ent, rakemaster, republicola, RightField, Riley, Rolo, Scythy Dervish, Sin'dorei300, skrab, stan0033, Stanakin, Stefan.K, Sunchips, Supermj, Suselishe, Talon the Mage, tee.dubs, th15, The Leader, The Panda, The Weird Human, The_Silent, TheRandomDude, Tirlititi, UgoUgo, Uncle Fester, Warhunter, WerBackIII, yakonshus, ZethHolyblade, Zombie
Interface: Solu9

Special thx to deepstrasz who encouraged me for almost a year to keep on going.
Previews
Contents

Fallout Tactics:Feral Despair v1.0.0 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
This might be fun to Fallout fans. For me it's a drag and feels more like a system than an actual game. I think you should allow things to happen faster->move more grid squares and maybe do more actions per turn with each unit. Approved. If you...
Level 21
Quite the amount of work you've put into it.
I can see it being very tedious to navigate the dialogue menus on and on.

Just a quick thing:
How's the combat?

And what are you doing on morrowind?

Level 8
Quite the amount of work you've put into it.
I can see it being very tedious to navigate the dialogue menus on and on.

Just a quick thing:
How's the combat?

And what are you doing on morrowind?
Hey, thank you <3, appreciated.
The most difficult part for me was actually designing the stealth on/off and detection + trap activation system and random loot lists in containers.
Also, the backup inventory storing/sorting system relying on item type, item id and item name. And maybe the Target Searching Algorithm/Unit (TSU triggers), AI determining which player units pose most threat to them. (completed by now)

There are 2 modes for combat:
1) party turns (I envisioned it as default), akin to Civilization type of games, both player and AI move all their units during their turns,
AND
2) combat sequence turn (from Fallout 1,2 etc.), in which each unit rolls initiative depending on their Sequence stat, that one takes a lot of time to process by the engine, given my limited knowledge of scripting/coding.

Combat is 100% ready, as far as I'm concerned, including all Perks and Traits (except for chems, I haven't implemented them). Turn based, as in the old Fallouts.

Add in some cut-scenes/transmissions, more quests, and you have a functional turn-based Fallout framework ready for exploitation.

Critique: non-combat movement could be replaced by normal movement instead of tiles per movement point (to speed things up).

All in all, I think this project at least deserves to be buried in the "graveyard" section, given the amount of hard work put in it.

As for Morrowind: mostly this: User :: SpiritTauren
The first vampire quest/dungeon/new clan mod is my main focus, I started learning TES CS and NifSkope/Blender with the other simple edits/patches posted on this page.
Also, this:

Last edited:
Level 8
So, hey, is it intended to be played or used as a template? If it's the latter, it should be moved in Templates by a moderator.
Both, I guess. It has several playable quests. Granted, I haven't finished everything I wanted to accomplish, but i wrapped everything up to the point of being playable. It just takes a lot of time for player to reach some coordinates for quests.
I simply consider it "template" (or even framework) for people who want to investigate the Fallout conversion effort I did some time ago, in case they're working on similar projects themselves. For any other purpose, consider it a playable map with limited quantity of content.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I simply consider it "template" (or even framework) for people who want to investigate the Fallout conversion effort I did some time ago, in case they're working on similar projects themselves. For any other purpose, consider it a playable map with limited quantity of content.
In that case it should just be open source as templates are usually just supposed to be templates not really playable.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Is there a way to play this without having to wait around 2mins for your next turn?
Also, the unit moves a few steps that you think you're just going nowhere in a really lot of time. Played about 10mins and moved 2-3 grid squares.

Level 8
Is there a way to play this without having to wait around 2mins for your next turn?
Also, the unit moves a few steps that you think you're just going nowhere in a really lot of time. Played about 10mins and moved 2-3 grid squares.
Unfortunately, I haven't optimized it back then (and the Sequence-based combat is even worse, the party-based should be much faster, due to having 0 slow loops to randomize the unit queue). The main problem for me was allocating maximum time for an attack that might be a slow one, for example, holding and firing the minigun would take several seconds (up to 6, if I remember correctly), so I set the countdown timer to superior values. Before the release, I've already shortened the wait time based on units pre-calculating whether they want to move/attack at all. The more units you have, the longer the wait period.
It's a conceptual flaw, and I have no idea how to speed things up without changing the whole design. A possible (and most likely) solution could be disabling the turns for movement outside of combat (duh, normal free movement, unless in combat), which I was going to attempt, before I lost interest in continuing this project with the release of Reforged. Another step could be increasing the walk/run distance per each movement point.

If I ever somehow pick this up, I'll do just that. For now, as I've mentioned in the map's description, it's "roughly playable", but far from being satisfactory.
So, it could either end up in the Graveayrd, if the administration thinks it deserves it, or be categorized as "suboptimal". I won't object.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
This might be fun to Fallout fans. For me it's a drag and feels more like a system than an actual game.
I think you should allow things to happen faster->move more grid squares and maybe do more actions per turn with each unit.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 8
Actually, you've been too kind to me :)

I consider it to be even lower quality (somewhere around 2.5). Yes, it is more of a system, which I barely wrapped up to be remotely playable (which I mentioned before several times). This experience taught me to be modest about the goals and never underestimate the difficulty of global/large scale projects. This winter, if I have enough time, I'll try to edit the speed, as you said, as it would take me a couple of months to develop an alternative. Once it's faster, I think it will be less tedious.
That being said, it will still remain a relatively small map with only a few short quests, as I have no further intention of hand-crafting new locations for a new game in Wc3 engine.

Thank you for going easy on me xD