• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fallout 76

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not gonna be a strictly single-player game. Kotaku reported that it would be an online survival RPG. Given that it takes place 20 ish years after the bombs fell (there's already lore on Vault 76), there will be potential to rebuild. It's being partially developed by the people who were working on Battlecry (formerly Battlecry Studios) so I'm guess they're now the online branch of BGS? At any rate, expect at least a co-op experience with an emphasis on the settlement-building system from Fallout 4. I'm assuming you'll be able to play it in single-player, but I think the point is to play it online. I'm quite curious to see how they adapted F4's engine to handle online play.

Not particularly hyped for this since I wanted another spin-off in the spirit of New Vegas, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued. E3 should have more information.

Sauce:
https://kotaku.com/sources-fallout-76-is-an-online-survival-rpg-1826425333
Fallout 76: Vault 76, Trailer, Release, And Everything We Know About Bethesda's New Game

PS: There's probably still hope for a single-player BGS RPG this year. I don't believe Fallout 76 is going to be the big reveal of E3. I'm expecting Starfield.

Level 35
The TES MMO has been an utter disappointment, a cheap WOW knockoff. The only way for this game to succeed is to leave behind the retarded generic MMO concepts and show something entirely new.

Knowing Bethesda, I doubt that will happen.

Level 22
I hope this isn't a transition to a fallout MMO, since the Kotaku article says they're 'experimenting'...

Sorry for double-posting, but here's the Bethesda conference on Fallout 76:

To recap:
  • Online.
  • 100% dedicated servers.
  • Co-op game, but also playable alone if you so desire.
  • Characters are not server-bound. You can hop into your friends world with your own char. Unknown if you can have multiple chars, but Todd said, "you won't even see a server." I'm not sure how joining a game is supposed to work.
  • 'Softcore' survival - you do not lose progress when you die.
  • Build anywhere
  • There are nukes that you can arm and literally nuke somewhere else.
  • Terrain appears destructible with nukes?
As someone who's been playing and enjoying Conan Exiles, this sounds pretty darn good. However, I do have some concerns about mods. The statement that you can play solo doesn't mean it has an offline mode - which, together with the leak claiming to not have external mod support, has me worried. Always online sounds like Bethesda's way to DRM-control modding and push Creation Club on people.

I guess we'll find out eventually.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Always online sounds like Bethesda's way to DRM-control modding and push Creation Club on people.
Actually it sounds like they intend the game to have micro transactions. Practically every game that has them, even if singleplayer, requires always online.

My concern is that it will be the same old buggy trash as always. Except unlike Skyrim and Fallout 4 where one can save scum if the quests break or do not go to plan due to bugs or bad design, instead they will permanently break with nothing you can do about it. They cannot even make bug free single player games, let alone multiplayer of similar complexity.

Level 16
Wall of text :eek:

There is a lot of concern for this game, and it seems to have gone out of hand in my opinion. I've watched a few videos on peoples opinions here and there, plus videos on why they went in this direction. Bethesda is now in a unique position, due to the type of criticism they're receiving. I want to touch base on a these "criticisms".

Online Mode
I personally like the direction they're going for this game. A lot of people in the past have said that they would love to play Skyrim, Fallout 3 or 4 and Oblivion with their friends. However I think the idea of it being strictly online is what's got people worried. The situation with mods would most likely have "transactions", so you would pay for certain things. I'm just hoping this does not affect the game play in it self... Something that could potentially give you an advantage by paying a few bucks here and there does worry me. But I think it's best to reserve judgement before they've officially shown where mods will go. Online only apparently means you can play by yourself but you're most likely to see others in your world too. But that's where private servers come into play. It might actually be a saving grace for a lot of people, because here you might be able to truly experience the game as a "single-player". It'll still be online, but that would be fine. This does make me wonder how 3rd party mods will be implemented. They said themselves in an interview that they understand community modding is what keeps the longevity of their games... That is a great thing to hear!

Nukes!
Yes I'm sure a lot of people have that "I don't want some 12 year old kid destroying my base". But I don't think you're really supposed to have just 1 settlement you create and simply stick with it. I'm sure that you will need to find resources to build your base, but I think the way they will go about it will be less tedious than most people have speculated. The terrain itself is also affected by Nukes! which is a nice addition in my opinion. I doubt affected terrain will be the for you if you where to join your friends game. But rather your experience, items, quest progression and possibly house will follow where you go.

My concern is that it will be the same old buggy trash as always. Except unlike Skyrim and Fallout 4 where one can save scum if the quests break or do not go to plan due to bugs or bad design, instead they will permanently break with nothing you can do about it. They cannot even make bug free single player games, let alone multiplayer of similar complexity.
They've never done beta testing before, and they stated that that's what they will do before official release. It seems as though even they know full well how buggy their games can be. They would like to prevent a disaster of a launch through beta testing. They're in a great mind frame in my opinion.

There are a lot more I could talk about, but I honestly think this game looks great. Before I finish off here... I'll put below a video that should clear up a few extra things for those that have not seen this video.

Thanks,
Its Ryan Boi

The beta is being used as an excuse to take money off players before having released the game... Only those who pre-order (have already brought the game) can get to take part in the beta.

On one hand I agree with this, on the other: Bethesda is known for bugs, so I'm just happy they have a beta to get rid of them in before actual release.

Level 35
35300536_1872824339443737_1531845531167358976_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.