• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Remake old Goodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Well, recently I’ve grown a big interest around the old AD&D RPGs and games alike.
So I made a little list of games that I would love to see renewed, and they could be
made as mods in “newer” games in the same genre, by basically the same companies!

Baldur's Gate
[Including all expansions and follow-ups]
- Could be made by Bioware in the Dragon Age engine, simple.

Icewind Dale

Planescape: Torment

Fallout
- Could be made by Bethesda in the Fallout 3/Oblivion engine.

The Elder Scrolls

Diablo
- Could be made by Blizzard in the Diablo 3 engine.

There are more, for sure.
And as you can see, I'm an RPG fan, that's why I want all these old
goodies to be resurrected! They really deserve it!
(Sadly I haven’t played so many of the old RPGs, but new RPGs such
as The Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and more are all in my possession!)
There are even older games that I've heard of, such as Wasteland, that from my knowledge, should be pure awesomeness.

So my personal opinion is:
Let 2010 be a remake year!

Side-Note:
I own all these games, or technically, my dad. But because of laziness and loss of time,
I've not been able to play them all. Wow, they are almost as old as me and I'm complaining...

Level 13
Bioware... Planescape Torment... NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Same goes for remaking Fallout 1&2 by Bethesda for the FO 3 engine, YOU HEATHEN!

Level 13
It's not about turn based, it's about the writing. Sure Bioware make good RPGs, but their writing is still pretty mainstream. It's something anyone can like. Black Isle on the other hand had serious depth, something Bioware couldn't pull off in my opinnion. Planescape was in my opinnion a "once in an eternity" sort of thing. Something that only happens once. A remake would only fail to capture the original.

Bethesda on the other hand completely suck at writing. Their dialogue is boring, their stories are cliche and annoying. The only thing they're good at is making action and open worlds. The problem with a Fallout remake thought would also be the size of the world. Either you would have to cut it down for FO 3 engine, or then there would be too much empty space.

Also the FO 3 engine is a buggy mess.

Level 27
Well nobody can return the old good Fallout, the Fallout 3 became like this just because becoming much more dinamic and actiony was the only way to save FL universe from total forgeting... I'm also not sure about D&D, it doesn't seem to be as popular as it was before... but Dragon Age is quite... hmmm... it has lots in common with class RPGs, its like Baldur's gate, only more modern and without D&D stuff... I'm not sure about recreation of Diablo 1, its much worse comparing to D2 in all the aspects... There are rumours about the new TES, but I'm not sure... and Planescape? Looks like this masterpiece is gone forever... how sad...

Level 1
Fallout

In my opinion, the gameplay is way too different. It would just take to much work on the developer's part, and would only appeal to a pretty small fan-base by the time the game's released.

The Elder Scrolls

That sounds interesting, since I'd love to play a remake of Daggerfall with Oblivion or Fallout 3 graphics. :thumbs_up:

Level 10
Honestly, I think that the Fallout engine would be a great base for the original Fallout games. Simply up the graphics, and then resell it. From what I've seen of Fallout 3, it belongs in a completely different category than the originals, and making the original games with the same engine would fail at capturing the spirit of them, which is what you want.
I haven't played any of the other games you mentioned, however, so I have no idea about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.