1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Remake old Goodies?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Hub' started by Arowanna, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, recently I’ve grown a big interest around the old AD&D RPGs and games alike.
    So I made a little list of games that I would love to see renewed, and they could be
    made as mods in “newer” games in the same genre, by basically the same companies!

Baldur's Gate
    [Including all expansions and follow-ups]
    - Could be made by Bioware in the Dragon Age engine, simple.

Icewind Dale

Planescape: Torment

Fallout
    - Could be made by Bethesda in the Fallout 3/Oblivion engine.

The Elder Scrolls
    - Could be made by Bethesda in the Fallout 3/Oblivion engine.

Diablo
    - Could be made by Blizzard in the Diablo 3 engine.

There are more, for sure.
    And as you can see, I'm an RPG fan, that's why I want all these old
    goodies to be resurrected! They really deserve it!
    (Sadly I haven’t played so many of the old RPGs, but new RPGs such
    as The Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and more are all in my possession!)
    There are even older games that I've heard of, such as Wasteland, that from my knowledge, should be pure awesomeness.

So my personal opinion is:
    Let 2010 be a remake year!

Side-Note:
    I own all these games, or technically, my dad. But because of laziness and loss of time,
    I've not been able to play them all. Wow, they are almost as old as me and I'm complaining...

2. GregerTheGreat

GregerTheGreat

Resources:
    Resources:
    All of these games are goddamn awesome, if someone would make a decent remake of any of them, he should be awarded the nobelprize or something.

3. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's why the old companies (that still exists) should do it!
    *Arowanna burst in to a mega happy dance!*

Would be sooooo awesome!

4. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    Bioware... Planescape Torment... NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Same goes for remaking Fallout 1&2 by Bethesda for the FO 3 engine, YOU HEATHEN!

5. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Tyranid, I know you like the "old RPGS",
    but I suck at turn-based games ;(
    Man... I didn't even manage Fallout 1 at Easy...

Planescape:
    If you say so, but I still want a remake >:/

Fallout 3 Engine:
    What's so bad about it?
    It's not turn-based no, but the old engine is kinda obsolete :S

6. Tyranid

Tyranid

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not about turn based, it's about the writing. Sure Bioware make good RPGs, but their writing is still pretty mainstream. It's something anyone can like. Black Isle on the other hand had serious depth, something Bioware couldn't pull off in my opinnion. Planescape was in my opinnion a "once in an eternity" sort of thing. Something that only happens once. A remake would only fail to capture the original.

Bethesda on the other hand completely suck at writing. Their dialogue is boring, their stories are cliche and annoying. The only thing they're good at is making action and open worlds. The problem with a Fallout remake thought would also be the size of the world. Either you would have to cut it down for FO 3 engine, or then there would be too much empty space.

Also the FO 3 engine is a buggy mess.

7. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Aaah, now I get what you mean!
    But I think you don't know what I mean ^^
    I mean total rip-off remake :)

About Bethesda, yes, I agree with some of it...
    Their dialogs are really boring to be honest, but still, Elder Scorlls is a good series
    and I thought so about Fallout 3 as well *Runs away*

8. TheDivineBoss

TheDivineBoss

Resources:
    Resources:
    As long as EA doesn't touch any of the golden classics then I'd say: aye, go for it..

9. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Well nobody can return the old good Fallout, the Fallout 3 became like this just because becoming much more dinamic and actiony was the only way to save FL universe from total forgeting... I'm also not sure about D&D, it doesn't seem to be as popular as it was before... but Dragon Age is quite... hmmm... it has lots in common with class RPGs, its like Baldur's gate, only more modern and without D&D stuff... I'm not sure about recreation of Diablo 1, its much worse comparing to D2 in all the aspects... There are rumours about the new TES, but I'm not sure... and Planescape? Looks like this masterpiece is gone forever... how sad...

10. DaedraEater

DaedraEater

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, the gameplay is way too different. It would just take to much work on the developer's part, and would only appeal to a pretty small fan-base by the time the game's released.

That sounds interesting, since I'd love to play a remake of Daggerfall with Oblivion or Fallout 3 graphics. :thumbs_up:

11. Crazy Cow

Crazy Cow

Resources:
    Resources:
    Honestly, I think that the Fallout engine would be a great base for the original Fallout games. Simply up the graphics, and then resell it. From what I've seen of Fallout 3, it belongs in a completely different category than the originals, and making the original games with the same engine would fail at capturing the spirit of them, which is what you want.
    I haven't played any of the other games you mentioned, however, so I have no idea about them.

12. orcyngiser

orcyngiser

Resources:
    Resources:
    i liked that game.