• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Don't Feed The Trolls

8c0f957d6398728d8bc4133832b5a64322462

full

-Don't Feed The Trolls-
Trolls of all shapes and sizes emerge from their mother’s basements to engage in this chaotic rumble of the ages. Test your wit, cynicism and repressed psychological pathologies against your enemies and allies alike, and send them running to their safe spaces.
This altered melee introduces 11 new heroes, with dozens of custom abilities aimed to frustrate, bamboozle and generally troll your opponents. Many of these abilities manipulate rarely altered game mechanics in a way guaranteed to greatly change gameplay, entertain and possibly drive you mad.

Da Trolls

Details

Credits

Authors Notes

Changelog

Illusionist
This master of illusions will confuse his enemies to near insanity with a variety of powerful psychological warfare. Nothing is what it seems around him.
full

Decoy Army - frighten your enemies into submission by appearing to have a much larger army than you actually have.

False God – enemies tend to run away when you are covered by a divine shield… who cares if it’s real or not…

We’re under attack! – how funny would it be if the game kept telling your opponent they were under attack, even though they couldn’t find anything attacking them? Enjoy these complementary decoy attack wards...

Ult -Now you see me- Perm invis… not OP at all.
Greedy Schemer
Is he a certified kleptomaniac? Will he sell his grandmother for a few more coins? Is there any line he won’t cross to make his pockets a little heavier? We don’t know, but you should definitely keep your possessions nailed down around this grabby git.
full

Advanced financing – why work hard on mining gold when you can just directly sap another player’s resources?

Organ trafficking – it may not be pretty, but harvesting organs off the battlefield is a sure way to make a pretty penny.

Me first! – It doesn’t matter who killed the dragon, or who was closest to it when it died, when you can instantly swap places with them to nick that hard earned Mask of Death…

Ult - The old switcherooThis is so fun it needs no flavor text. Switch a random item in your inventory with a random item in theirs.
Hole Dweller
That guy who keeps finding loopholes, and cheesy strategies to avoid actually fighting you like the creators of the game intended. He really likes shooting at you from behind trees. How the hell did he even get in there?
full

Artillery Range – stage 1: blow up some trees in the middle of the forest. Stage 2: sit in that clearing and shoot your enemies while hiding in the trees.

Blink – oh yeah, this is how you get to that nice little clearing you made in the forest…

Burrow – when the going gets tough, the tough get going to hide in a hole.

Ult – Hide building – it’s as if creating this ability is somehow rewarding degenerates for being degenerates. We apologize in advance.
Online Predator
A really nasty character, probably grew out of the mold in the dark corners of the internet. Should be neutered for the good of society. Adept at singling out vulnerable enemies and violating them.
full

Follow home - The Predator stalks it’s target, following it’s every move. Constantly watching, and waiting to exploit a moment of vulnerability.

Fake Profile – what better way to get into close quarters with your prey then by disguising as an innocent little girl?

Bondage - The Predator ties down his victim so he can perform unspeakable acts on it at his leisure. We are sorry you had to read this.

Ult Indecent exposure - The Predator fully exposes himself to his enemies, burning their retinas and traumatizing them forever with his withered and revolting nether regions. This causes enemies around the predator to avert their gaze and miss their attacks.
Shifty Contractor
Crafty troll, adept at swindling clients and leveling buildings. DON’T sign on the dotted line.
full

Paint Job – it’s really amusing to watch your opponents smashing their allies watch tower, just because you painted it your color.

Façade – It looks like a building, it smells like a building, and your enemies will spend time trying to destroy it as if it were a building. But it’s not.

Foreign Workers - He said they were expert foreign workers he brought here to build your new patio, but to us they just look like ogres smashing in your kitchen.

Ult – Demolition squad. – He said it was an original ability, but to us it just looks like stampede with extra steps…
Puppetmaster
The mastermind, The Puppetmaster, the shadow government. He has many names, but basically he is the one calling the shots. And if you think you are actually in control of your own actions, well that just shows how tightly you are wrapped around his thumb.
full

Voodoo doll – when your troops start running in random directions and doing things you never told them to do, this is why.

Forget – what? We were supposed to be training 5 grunts and one headhunter? You sure you told us that boss? Funny, I can’t remember anything of the sort…

Doctors orders – if you thought you were the only one who could decide when you use the items in your inventory, you have an unsettling surprise waiting for you. “Forcing a TP” has never been this literal.

UltNew Management – oh what, you used to own this town hall? Well I guess you shouldn’t leave your stuff unattended for so long next time…
Team Killer
This overgrown man-child has a heavily underdeveloped sense of humor, much to his allies chagrin. He is in many opinions considered the cornerstone of the trolling society.
full

namesake – we just gave your idiot TKing ally another incentive and method to kill your units. We don’t know why we did it.

Carried – he is a strength hero, but is he still a “tank” if this ability makes nearby allies take damage instead of him?

Greater Good – Strap some explosives on your friend and send him to his fiery death - for the greater good of course.

Ult – Le Grande Tk - Destroy all allied buildings in a large area. "In Bird culture this is considered a dick move".
King of Salt
There really is one in every game. You know, that mongoloid who rages about everything… it’s always everyone else’s fault and he’ll destroy all of you noobs in 1v1 just he can’t play more today? Yeah, that’s the guy. Salt for days.
full

Temper Tantrum- The emotionally stunted KoS throws a full blown temper tantrum, completely loosing control over his actions and dealing crippling blows to anything around him.

Grudge get permanent bonus damage against one player who you really, really hate. They must have done something really horrific to you. Like killing your dog, or burning your house or saying something you were slightly offended by on chat…

Rabble rousing - one thing the KOS is not is selfish, and if he is smashing heads out of rage, you can bet he’ll share that rage with his teammates and they’ll all want to rip your head off. (damage aura)

Ult - Rage Quit. -We’ll let you figure this one out by yourself…
Social Justice Warrior
An Extremely aggressive and unpleasant individual, both as an opponent on the battlefield and in casual conversation.
full

Because I'm a Woman?! - In a zealous attempt to prove that she can do anything better than a male, the SJW works herself into a fit of berserker rage that will give you nightmares. This we say from experience.

Monologue of Righteousness - The SJW goes on and on (and on and on) about all the usual BS. All enemy heroes present have a horrible experience, and gain no experience for the duration of her monologue.

Mansplaining – the SJW uses her magic word mansplaining. Since anything anyone else does will be seen as horrible misogyny after the evocation of this word of power, all enemies targeted by this word will be silenced. (yeah, it’s just silence…)

Ult Demonstration - Calls together a rally of sisters to the cause, who nag, pester and generally suck the joy of life out of all those unlucky enough to be nearby, thus further empowering the SJW herself. (Basically Carrion Swarm, but I laugh every time I see the animation).
Slippery Tactician
Is there possibly a hero who can slip in and out of your base even more annoyingly than a Blademaster? Only one way to find out…
full

Squeeze through – Ignore the laws of physics for a few seconds and walk where none have walked before – through water, trees, cliffs and enemy buildings trying to keep you away from their juicy peons.

Barricade – not only can you sneak inside their bases easily, but you can also block them out.

Brilliance aura – regular and boring, but ya gots to have mana for all them slippery shenanigans.

Ult - Sleeping gas – So they finally got you cornered after all the sneaking around? Just throw down a sleeping gas pellet and walk away like a boss. Or stab them in the back one by one. Your choice.
Psychopath
“Some men just wanna watch the world burn”.
full

Bon voyage – send random nearby units on a one way trip to a random location.

Purge By Fire – one day Sammy the kobold was walking to go buy a – KABOOM! The end. Mines here, mines there, hidden mines everywhere.

Chill Ward – when everyone else is taking life to seriously you just set down a chill ward in the middle of the battlefield and watch everyone in slow motion.

Ult - The final countdown – set a 3 minute timer to blow up everyone’s main bases unless you die first. Then watch everyone dance for you.

full

This altered melee is built on top of the blizzard map Divide and Conquer and so it is in essence a 12 player map. The following features were added:
  • 4 Standard Taverns
  • 4 Troll Taverns
  • 2 Workshops
  • 11 Custom Heroes (available in the Troll Taverns)
  • Added critters
  • Everything that being in a recent patch (and not ROC) entails.
  • Some Hidden bonus features.
As this map was created with patch 1.31.1 and custom models from classic graphics, it probably will not work so well with reforged graphics.

Triggering

• The one and only @Uncle , my triggering mentor. Without your help this map would pretty much still be a list of ideas on a Word document.
  • @Warseeker
  • @Planetary
  • @Macadamia
  • @MasterBlaster
  • @Devalut
  • @Nichilus
  • @Zwiebelchen
  • @ThompZon
  • @BloodSoul
  • @Wrda
  • @Footman16
  • @Bribe
  • @JAKEZINC
  • @disruptive_
  • @IcemanBo
  • @Dr Super Good
  • @Drake53
  • @Ender Wiggins

Models

• @xYours Trulyx
  • @Skipper
  • @Hayate
  • @Mythic
  • @Cavman
  • @Rebellu Sidus
  • @ChevronSeven
  • @HappyTauren
  • @Nasrudin
  • @Tarrasque
  • @Afronight_76
  • @Jaccouille
  • @-Grendel
  • @Hermit
  • @eubz
  • @dhguardianes
  • @Darky29
  • @JetFangInferno
  • @Assasin_lord

Icons

• @Edge45
  • @CRAZYRUSSIAN
  • @Sin’dorei300
  • @Darkfang
  • @Mad
  • @BLazeKraze
  • @Scias
  • @Ernesto Lovera
  • @Ender Wiggins

Systems

Button Manager – @Shadow Daemon
Damage engine - @Bribe
Unit indexer- @Bribe
Disarm – @Retera
War3 model editor – @Magos

Other

The Cover art and Music for the opening screen are property of Blizzard, from Hearthstone.
and thanks to @Rufus for this presentation template.

Hey there,
I got the idea for this map watching a Youtube clip by @WTii where his opponent accused him of cheating and moving his (the opponent's) units. I thought - "wouldn't it be funny to have an ability that could actually do that"... and from there the ball started rolling...I went pretty hard into the "trolling" theme. I hope I managed to stay in the realm of good taste and not insult anyone.
Currently the map is pretty presentable, but not perfect. There were a number of hardcoded things I couldn't really get to behave exactly how I wanted, but in general I think it's pretty fun. I hope you think so too.
I am aware that from a glance this may just look like I pretty much re-posted a blizzard map with a few minor changes. I implore you that before you judge this map - you play this with other players and see for yourself how greatly these abilities alter gameplay. For the very least I'd like to think this map could serve as a springboard of ideas for abilities that manipulate rarely touched game mechanics(although some will say for good reason...).
Although there is a lot of chaotic stuff happening in this map, I still tried to make the abilities somewhat (given what they do) balanced. Since I was not able to test run this in multiplayer, and am not a very experienced player myself - I probably did a bad job with balance. If you played and have any comments on balance - please let me know!
Also, if you found any bugs, or have any feedback whatsoever please let me know. Thanks!
[12.22.2020] - First upload. Known bugs - 1. A few of the abilities toggle the user's allied color settings. 2. "Doctor Order" does not always work, even when it should. 3. Demolition squad - the tractor model takes to long to die and clutters up the screen, but it's kind of funny...
[12.27.2020] - 1.Got rid of a bug that was inexplicably making "advanced financing" not steal gold. 2.Fixed a broken tooltip. 3.Added some missing people from the in-game credits. 4. Added spell set-up trigger to eliminate lag.
[5.1.2021] - Lots of minor Changes according to @deepstrasz initial review:
1. Fixed Team Killer and Greedy Schemer’s hero glow.
2. Troll Face icon has a DISBTN.
3. Suspicious Behaviour no longer creates a green icon buff named Divine Shield.
4. New custom icon for Suspicious Behaviour and turning it off.
5. Because I'm a Woman now has autocast borders.
6. Now You Don't now looks passive.
7. Bon Voyage has the updated info.
8. Fake tree cooldown nerfed to 120. That should balance it somewhat.
Contents

Don't Feed The Trolls (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Team Killer and Greedy Schemer don't have hero glow. Troll Face's icon becomes green on F10/game pause. It needs a DISBTN. If it doesn't have one, you can make it with: Button Manager v1.8.2 BLP Lab v0.5.0 Spells Like Fake Profile and Bondage don't...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. Team Killer and Greedy Schemer don't have hero glow.
  2. Troll Face's icon becomes green on F10/game pause. It needs a DISBTN. If it doesn't have one, you can make it with:
    Button Manager v1.8.2
    BLP Lab v0.5.0
  3. Spells Like Fake Profile and Bondage don't have values per level in their description when learning the spells.
  4. Suspicious Behaviour creates a green icon buff named Divine Shield.
  5. You should use custom icons for spells like Suspicious Behaviour since it has the icon of Boots of Speed. Many spells have such already used icons.
  6. Intended for the Damsel to have Wander? Besides the neutral women have specific/different names and I guess you can't really confuse the fake one because it shows as an enemy.
  7. Resume Cover should be similar to the Suspicious Behaviour icon, not a totally different onel; example: activate-disable Immolation/Mana Shield/Avatar/Divine Shield.
  8. Fake Profile doesn't let you regenerate the hero's mana and health.
  9. Bondage=Ensnare. Nothing special about it.
  10. King of Slat has a bit too big selection circle. Same: Greedy Schemer, Shifty Contractor,
  11. Rabble Rousing=Endurance Aura, including the icon.
  12. Does Rage Quit actually do anything or is it just a game text farce? The hero remains there although the vulture appears.
  13. Brilliance Aura, really!? How about something original?
  14. Squeeze Through has some text errors.
  15. Because I'm a Woman=Frenzy and it doesn't have autocast borders.
  16. Manlsplaining=Silence...
  17. Demonstration=Locust Swarm.
  18. Now You Don't looks active and should look passive. You can make it so with the Button Manager linked earlier.
  19. Not sure how exactly useful We're Under Attack is. It forces however to use Hold Position, I guess.
  20. No You Don't seems to be a bit imbalanced especially combined with Fake God.
  21. Organ Trafficking's description after learning the spell, isn't as detailed as the one in the learn ability menu.
  22. Does the Shifty Contractor only build human buildings?
  23. Demolition Squad=Stampede.
  24. Fake Barracks' selection circle is not visible.
  25. Bon Voyage says 1, 2 and 3 units in the learn ability menu instead of 3, 6, so on.
  26. The Final Countdown is imbalanced as it can be cast from wherever and requires the hero being killed. Now, if the bombs don't totally destroy main buildings, then it's OKish.
  27. Purge by Fire seems OK on big maps but on small ones it would be kind of imabalanced if working only on enemies.
  28. The minimap signal over the Psychopath should look different, not as if one of your units is being attacked. Also, it should not appear for the owner.
  29. Not sure how useful Le Grande is.
  30. Shroom Launcher's position isn't right under Patrol but after it.
  31. Blink is just Blink.
  32. Attack Ground from throwing shrooms moves the ability plus to some other command card place. This spell is heavily imbalanced as it gives the hero permanent range over towers.
  33. Not sure if the Hide Building trees should be so strong considering you can make many. Also, on other maps with different trees, the camouflage would not work if the tree is still Lordaeron Summer type.
Generally, lovely ideas but needs more creativity, improvements and balance.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Shar Dundred
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 21
Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback. In general this map is kind of aimed at being Meme-ish, more of a fun party game than actual serious competition so that is the reason some abilities are a little useless. in general I do want it to be fun to play, so I don't want anything game-breakingly imbalanced. But still, the theme is trolling, and I added a lot of stuff that is more thematic and funny than necessarily useful.

I will try to fix most of what you said with a few exceptions:

Intended for the Damsel to have Wander? Besides the neutral women have specific/different names and I guess you can't really confuse the fake one because it shows as an enemy.

Are you sure it appears as an enemy? in essence it is just a mechanical creature so it should be impossible to tell from other critters (who are women on the map to serve this ability). I'm pretty sure you are wrong about that...

Fake Profile doesn't let you regenerate the hero's mana and health.

I forgot it ended up like that, but is it def a bad thing? it might be a good balance check, no?

Does Rage Quit actually do anything or is it just a game text farce? The hero remains there although the vulture appears.

all of the players units act as if he really left the game. (they won't hit you back etc'). andhe can't control them until he uses "sneak back in".

Not sure how exactly useful We're Under Attack is. It forces however to use Hold Position, I guess.

it is supposed to be annoying to opponents, and distract them from whatever they are doing, but more than that it can be used to "cry wolf" and get players to start ignoring the "under attack" notice, which can then be exploited by attacking them. that was my reasoning behind that one.

Does the Shifty Contractor only build human buildings?

no, he can only build the buildings of the race of his owner.

The Final Countdown is imbalanced as it can be cast from wherever and requires the hero being killed. Now, if the bombs don't totally destroy main buildings, then it's OKish.

the balance of that ability (besides 3 minutes to kill him which is a long time), is that it happens to everyone. that is in a way the definition of balance.

Purge by Fire seems OK on big maps but on small ones it would be kind of imabalanced if working only on enemies.

also, these mines are hidden to all players, and harm all players. the exp goes to the caster anyways.

Not sure how useful Le Grande is.

it's not. the only thing you can do with it besides TK is to destroy a large area of trees. but I see it as a penalty for choosing a hero called "team killer" :).

Shroom Launcher's position isn't right under Patrol but after it.

That was the only way around hardcoded stuff.

Attack Ground from throwing shrooms moves the ability plus to some other command card place. This spell is heavily imbalanced as it gives the hero permanent range over towers.

About command card place see above. In terms of bakance, many of these abilities are more powerful than regular hero abilites, but not necessarily compared to each other. I think stealing gold and items is probably way more valuable than this and I can give more examples. The whole essence of this hero is based on that ability, so I think I will leave it as is.

Not sure if the Hide Building trees should be so strong considering you can make many. Also, on other maps with different trees, the camouflage would not work if the tree is still Lordaeron Summer type.

Currently all of these are only available on this map, so if someone wants to copy this ability elsewhere than I agree, they should use an appropriate tree model. don't see how that is an issue here. In terms of balance - maybe I will limit this to one at a time, or make the cooldown even longer.

In terms of more originality - I didn't claim that every ability here was original, just that most were. If people play this map and have ideas for ways to enhance, I'm open to changes. Also - I tried to use in-game icons where I could and not import/create for no good reason bc I wanted to keep filesize small, and felt like it was silly to import for the sake of importing when the game had reasonable icons at hand. do you disagree?

thanks again for the detailed feedback!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Are you sure it appears as an enemy? in essence it is just a mechanical creature so it should be impossible to tell from other critters (who are women on the map to serve this ability). I'm pretty sure you are wrong about that...
That's good.
all of the players units act as if he really left the game. (they won't hit you back etc'). andhe can't control them until he uses "sneak back in".
I didn't realize they got paused.
is that it happens to everyone. that is in a way the definition of balance.
Even to the owner and allies?
Also - I tried to use in-game icons where I could and not import/create for no good reason bc I wanted to keep filesize small, and felt like it was silly to import for the sake of importing when the game had reasonable icons at hand. do you disagree?
Since this map is 1.32+, I'd really not be concerned about map filesize considering Reforged is 20gb or so...

Level 21
glad to hear :grin:, thanks!

Hey @deepstrasz

I fixed the following:

1. Fixed Team Killer and Greedy Schemer’s hero glow.

2. Troll Face icon has a DISBTN.

3. Suspicious Behaviour no longer creates a green icon buff named Divine Shield.

4. New custom icon for Suspicious Behaviour and turning it off.

5. Because I'm a Woman now has autocast borders.

6. Now You Don't now looks passive.

7. Bon Voyage has the updated info.

8. Fake tree cooldown nerfed to 120. That should balance it somewhat.

9. Squeeze through text errors - I found one stray period and erased it. besides that dk what you mean.

I think there is nothing left that is actually malfunctioning. just things that could be better (more original abilities instead of the ones that are just standard abilities with jokes added), and there are some small imperfections (points 8,10,24,28 in your review) that don't bother me enough to fix currently. besides those, its just the things I already explained.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Salt King's enrage skill seems to bug out with the hero availability if I see it right.
New Management is not very practical. It's TOO DAMN LONG.
Psychopaths shouldn't be affected by their own ward or bomb, I mean I know they're psycho but I doubt they allow their own contraption to ruin their damn day. It's okay for other units though. Teleport is arguably allowable since it has survival chances.

Level 21
Thanks for the detailed feedback!
The Salt King's enrage skill seems to bug out with the hero availability if I see it right.
Can you explain what you mean?
New Management is not very practical. It's TOO DAMN LONG.
maybe. I was thinking it's only applicable if you sneak into an enemy base and start casting this while they are focused on a big battle happening somewhere else. having that with a short cast time is too OP even for this map. notice it's also shorter cast time for non-main buildings
Psychopaths shouldn't be affected by their own ward or bomb, I mean I know they're psycho but I doubt they allow their own contraption to ruin their damn day. It's okay for other units though.
I disagree. The Psychopath was inspired by Heath Ledgers joker "I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair”.. (while offering someone to put a bullet in his head)

Can you explain what you mean?
I cannot buy additional heroes after casting the skill twice. I assume since it remove ownership then regain ownership, the game consider me 'acquire additional hero' thus making me lose opportunity for getting more heroes.
maybe. I was thinking it's only applicable if you sneak into an enemy base and start casting this while they are focused on a big battle happening somewhere else. having that with a short cast time is too OP even for this map. notice it's also shorter cast time for non-main buildings
I guess it's pretty much a sneak- nope. That aura and the whole bar is a dead giveaway and unless your allies really stall time for you, it won't work. I think the only one needs nerfing is the Hall timer personally, 50% increase instead of 100% increase would be a blessing.
I disagree. The Psychopath was inspired by Heath Ledgers joker "I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair”.. (while offering someone to put a bullet in his head)
It's just dumb IMO. I mean, you're the one putting traps so why you die from your own traps?

Level 21
I cannot buy additional heroes after casting the skill twice. I assume since it remove ownership then regain ownership, the game consider me 'acquire additional hero' thus making me lose opportunity for getting more heroes.
thanks, I'll fix that when I have some time. I think I know what might be causing that.
I guess it's pretty much a sneak- nope. That aura and the whole bar is a dead giveaway and unless your allies really stall time for you, it won't work. I think the only one needs nerfing is the Hall timer personally, 50% increase instead of 100% increase would be a blessing.
sure.
It's just dumb IMO. I mean, you're the one putting traps so why you die from your own traps?
I'm not sure if you mean from a gameplay point of view or from a character analysis. If you are talking about the first, I guess I see your point, but it makes little practical difference. In this huge map that was envisioned to be played with a lots of units running around - the times that the caster will actually be the one stepping on the mines is negligible. And in terms of understanding the character - it's someone who doesn't care about life or limb and likes making everything go boom.

awesome! seeing someone playing it definitely bumps updating this up on my to do list. Did you find any bugs?
I think all my previous posts sum everything I found. Also, just a nitpick but AI is dumb, so I won't complain the fact I manage to burn their main hall with Psychopath :D