• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Conquest of Alterac v1.0

CONQUEST OF ALTERAC

SOLO SCENARIO
Playtime: 1 - 2 hours
Works with both Reforged and Classic

In the interim between Reign of Chaos and the events of The Frozen Throne, you enter the Alterac Mountains as one of the 4 races - Human Alliance, Frostwolf Orcs, Undead Scourge or Night Elf Sentinels. Competing forces have already established themselves, and you must drive them out, while endeavoring to fulfil the main objectives of your faction.
  • Play as any one of the 4 races using standard Melee gameplay mechanics, in a Campaign-style map
  • Complete a bespoke quest chain unique to the race you play
  • Fight against 2 out of 4 randomly chosen enemy factions, each capable of spawning in 2 different locations with different difficulties
  • Complete side quests, hunt creeps and find magic items
Play a blend of Campaign and Melee - you train units, expand and conquer as if it was a solo Melee map, but you complete story quests and hunt creeps and items as if it was a Campaign map. The scope of the map is bigger than a typical Campaign map, and will take 1-2 hours to work your way into the Alterac Mountains, defeating 2 randomly chosen enemies - a primary and a secondary. The primary and secondary enemies you encounter are randomly chosen, which adds replayability, since you can then play the map 4 times (one for each race) and face new combinations of primary/secondary enemies each time.

Information

Changelog

Credits

Authors Notes

Player factions
  • Human Alliance - Re-establish the Alliance's presence in Alterac, cooperating with the Stormpike dwarves, the Silver Hand, and finally recovering the Perenolde Tiara.
  • Frostwolf Orcs - Return to the home of the Frostwolf after the exodus to Kalimdor. Experience the bloody rivalry with the Stormpike, and summon an ancient being from Alterac Valley.
  • Undead Scourge - Spread the plague on the human lands, while hunting for a set of dark relics.
  • Night Elf Sentiels - Attempt to heal the land ravaged by the plague, and awaken an ancient spirit of the Valley.
Enemy factions
  • Syndicate Turncloaks - The humans of the Syndicate have their base in Alterac, and they will keep anyone from meddling in their affairs.
  • Blackrock Clan - The orcs of the Blackrock Clan have returned, and they will not share the mountains with anyone.
  • Dreadlord Insurgents - The Dreadlords of the Burning Legion have wrested control of parts of the Scourge, and are using them for their own ends.
  • Naga Incursion - The Naga of Lady Vashj have settled temporarily in the Lordamere Lake, and from here launch an incursion into the mountains.
New mechanic - Requisitions
Because the pace and scope of the map is drawn out, there is a gating-mechanism to teching up, which serves as a gold and lumber sink throughout the game. It is introduced very early on, and you cannot progress without completing your first requisition - 500 gold to reveal the map. Donations to the war chest can be accessed on any Town Hall building. Check the leaderboard in the top-right corner of the screen to see how much you have donated toward the active requisition(s). If there are no active requisitions, donations will have no effect.

Difficulty settings
  • Easy - there is a very long time between enemy attacks, and they don't contain many units. Choose this if you are rusty in Warcraft 3.
  • Normal - moderate time between enemy attacks, this difficulty will keep you on your toes. Familiarity with your race is recommended.
  • Hard - short time between enemy attacks, and they contain many strong units. Only for experts!
A note on Reforged vs. Classic
I developed the map in Reforged, and it works best with that. Certain assets (mainly buildings) are missing from the map in Classic, but it is still fully playable. Please download the 'Classic' version of the map in that case, which contains a few fixes.

[2022-04-28] Uploaded v1.0
knight2f9

I am an old-school Warcraft fan who has been addicted to the universe since I was a kid. Today I work as a software dev, and I recently decided to return to Warcraft 3 and try to apply my skills to making this map.
I hope you like it :)
Previews
Contents

Conquest of Alterac v1.0 (Map)

Conquest of Alterac v1.0.1 Classic (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
The naga Royal Guard hero should use glow or you should find a custom model for it: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling There's a minor issue with the glyph not restoring the fountain in the first go; you have to get out of the zone and get back to...
Level 10
Playing in classic graphics with humans on hard:

Paladin has a green box for the icon from the altar, top left corner
North east of the starting base where the bandit creeps are, there is a pathing issue when trying to go through the middle of the barricades.
Aiden Perenolde does not appear there is only a black spot that moves around

Last edited:
Level 4
Playing in classic graphics with humans on hard:

Paladin has a green box for the icon from the altar, top left corner
North east of the starting base where the bandit creeps are, there is a pathing issue when trying to go through the middle of the barricades.
Aiden Perenolde does not appear there is only a black spot that moves around
Thanks for the feedback!
Indeed it seems that more assets are missing from Classic than I thought.
I fixed the paladin icon, Aidan's model and a few buildings in the town area. You can find this in the 'Classic' version of the map I uploaded.

I don't think there's a pathing issue - the barricades should be destructible (I think it looked confusing because some assets were missing).

Level 10
Classic Download

Orcs Hard
Home of the frost wolfs has a green box in quest log
Ice lord is invisible the dreaded black spot on the ground

Undead
Air units will not enter the crypt (may be designed that way idk)
When selecting a half to full army group the units will not use the front gate of the crypt when trying to move them into where the NE are or the summoning book, they will attempt to use the side passage that's blocked by rocks or walk into the wall. (there may be assets that are invisible did not check reforge yet for this)

Night Elf
Nothing that wasn't already addressed.

Ill play through the reforge when I get time

Level 4
Classic Download

Orcs Hard
Home of the frost wolfs has a green box in quest log
Ice lord is invisible the dreaded black spot on the ground

Undead
Air units will not enter the crypt (may be designed that way idk)
When selecting a half to full army group the units will not use the front gate of the crypt when trying to move them into where the NE are or the summoning book, they will attempt to use the side passage that's blocked by rocks or walk into the wall. (there may be assets that are invisible did not check reforge yet for this)

Night Elf
Nothing that wasn't already addressed.

Ill play through the reforge when I get time

Thanks a lot for testing it further :)

I fixed the Ice lord's model and a bunch of wall/building assets in the v1.0.1 Classic map.

It is intended that flying units cannot enter the crypt, although admittedly as you point out, it has really confused the pathing in/out of the gate even for regular units.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
The naga Royal Guard hero should use glow or you should find a custom model for it: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
There's a minor issue with the glyph not restoring the fountain in the first go; you have to get out of the zone and get back to the fountain for it to work.
The caravan priests don't heal themselves or anyone.

It's pretty much Warcraft III, no custom techtrees but it's a nice idea to change some aspects depending on what faction you choose to play as; there could have been more variety in quests and things to do as a consequence of race choices though.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Wazzz
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 28
I played with night elves and only realized partway through it was v0.4, so maybe some of these have been adressed.

Plague treants quest icon is a green square.

The Burning Crusade quest has no text, and clicking it later (as in, demons cleared out, undead mostly gone) crashes the game.

The area with the slaughterhouse has weird pathing where my units don't go anywhere, as though there were invisible walls at random.

Several bridges in the snowy areas use the green texture.

During the ritual, the chieftain counted as killed before his reincarnation came into effect.

Cleared out the undead base, woke up Ivus, but the game isn't progressing, the red icon is still on the map. Am I missing something?

Level 4
Hi cleavinghammer
Thanks a lot for playing! I'm sorry you experienced these issues.
A few of them sound like something that may have been fixed, especially the texture issues in the v1.0.1_Classic file. Originally I had used a lot of Reforged only assets without realizing they didn't exist in Classic.
The rest sound like game logic issues, which could still be relevant. I'd like to say I will get around to fixing them, but at the same time over a year has passed since I last looked at this project.