• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #11 - Battlefields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Gonna get my wip out of the way.

wc3scrnshot121010165427.jpg

Level 17
Actually, no. A battlefield is not limited to a city siege. Plenty of battles have been, and can be, fought in an area between two opposing capitals. Mountains, grasslands, plains, forests... it is just up to you to determine what you do. =/

New WiP!

WiP.jpg

Level 17
It is a custom fog. I don't like the default fogs. =/ I just use them as bases. It used to be a lavender colour, but it didn't go well with the sky. This fog does... moderately.

Level 11
maybe,i should change my fog to custom blue but it takes alot of adjusting..and i shall expand my castle,it's too small
can my map be 96x96? i accidently built my archway in the end of 64x64...so i can't expand it,i need 96x96
your rules didn't say it,but the last contest has said it so i was wondering can it be 96x96?

Level 17
The last contest was for a playable terrain, dark. This contest isn't. Don't limit yourself in terms of map boundaries. Mine is 128x128. Expanding your map just helps you create a better background.

Level 23
@The_Olorin: You are right, i totally forgot about that issue since I never do ingame screenies. Weather effect triggers and camera angle triggers are allowed aswell.

@Tamerleine: You only are allowed to make a screenshot of your terrain, so we won't notice a progress of walking.

@darkzxx: that rule only applied for the playable terrain contest, thus why i deleted it.

Level 12
MUA HA HA HA!
Did you forget about me? Did you think I was gone?
Well guess what...
I'm back!

Obligatory Wip:

Attachments

• C11WIP11.png
    C11WIP11.png
    588.9 KB · Views: 184
Level 21
Oh didn't see the trigger rule. So does that mean I can't order ranged units to attack so I could take shot of the flying missiles and instead will have to place missiles manually? And can't order the movement to capture units walking animation since trigger animation for move doesn't work? Oh and also time of the day to be set?

Level 12
Conflict of Interest

Well after two further hours of straight-up work, I've produced the first version of my entry for this contest. I present to you:

Conflict of Interest

Explanation:
While to some the theme of a battlefield may suggest physical warfare, my spin on this is to portray a battle of opposing forces, of elements that at once can only exist in seeking to destroy each other, but cannot exist without each other.

This terrain portrays multiple battles on multiple levels of meaning, all between three different forces: Creation, Destruction, and the Will of Man.

Creation is represented in this terrain by Gaia, the creative force of the Earth, and, indeed, the Earth itself. She is connected with natural beauty, the colors green and blue, and peace.

Destruction in this terrain is represented by the one who I call "Krim, the worldbreaker." Though he himself was created by Gaia, his only goal is to destroy all her creations. He is connected with the colors red and black, desolation, death, and fire.

The Will of Man is represented in this terrain by men and their creations. These men seek only to control and use the two aspects of creation and destruction, and will do anything do achieve this goal or delude themselves into thinking they have achieved it. They may hide away in their fortresses, and believe that they have complete control, that they have established order, but outside the chaotic battle between creation and destruction still rages, and still often engulfs them.

So here's the first version of my entry. I hope you like it. Please give your opinion on it. All further changes will be updated into this post.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Conflict of Interest V1.png
    Conflict of Interest V1.png
    783.5 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Here's an update from my side, added the 2 giants.
OPTIMUS PRIME VS GIANT ROCK!!!
Also a special close up image ;)
My first idea was to make Optimus Prime vs Megatron, but Megatron was too hard to make because of lack of doodads so I went with this life sucking living golem instead.
Still need to form Optimus's right hand into a fist and finish the golems head.

Attachments

• TC11.JPG
    TC11.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Close up TC11.JPG
    Close up TC11.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 158
Level 36
Well after two further hours of straight-up work, I've produced the first version of my entry for this contest. I present to you:

Conflict of Interest

Explanation:
While to some the theme of a battlefield may suggest physical warfare, my spin on this is to portray a battle of opposing forces, of elements that at once can only exist in seeking to destroy each other, but cannot exist without each other.

This terrain portrays multiple battles on multiple levels of meaning, all between three different forces: Creation, Destruction, and the Will of Man.

Creation is represented in this terrain by Gaya, the creative force of the Earth, and, indeed, the Earth itself. She is connected with natural beauty, the colors green and blue, and peace.

Destruction in this terrain is represented by the one who I call "Krim, the worldbreaker." Though he himself was created by Gaya, his only goal is to destroy all her creations. He is connected with the colors red and black, desolation, death, and fire.

The Will of Man is represented in this terrain by men and their creations. These men seek only to control and use the two aspects of creation and destruction, and will do anything do achieve this goal or delude themselves into thinking they have achieved it. They may hide away in their fortresses, and believe that they have complete control, that they have established order, but outside the chaotic battle between creation and destruction still rages, and still often engulfs them.

So here's the first version of my entry. I hope you like it. Please give your opinion on it. All further changes will be updated into this post.

Enjoy!

Thats a wickedly good entire, and no, the lava doesn't look flat.

Yours is good too Oziris, needs to be polished but you sertainly have a great idea going, I might have come up with a cool idea for this contest, going to try it and see if I can get it done.

Level 36
what's wrong with them?

It's about artistic understanding, one should aim to make a terrain that looks pleasing to the eye, and not frustrating. The wc3 ones work for playing a game, but looks unrealistic, static and none lively, contruary to many other doodads found in both the UTM and the high res pack, as well as other places.

Bottom line; aim to use doodads that looks pleasing and realistic.

Level 17
Wonder why it did not show up to you all...

11rw268.jpg

Testing...

Edit: Crap - just saw I forgot to crop the image. Ah well, my apologies.

Level 36
Thats.. Well, its a problem. There is no real reason, other than that the WE can't handle the load of "detail" onscreen or something like that, its a bitch I know...

Anyways, going to post a WIP, it isn't much and it sertainly isn't done, but for now it gives a general idea for what I am going at and so on ;)

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.