• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #6 - Ancient Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Ha, yeah you got me there...
Ok nevermind crap about titans thats my submission its mythological end of story.

Level 10
Just want to say, don't count my WIP in this. And I can't be bothered to continue on it, I have no imagination at the moment... We'll see if I can come up with something the next time, or possibly in another mini contest (if it will continue).

Oh and I just want to say that all terrains looks really nice, good job all.

Level 17
Well I've been busy with other terrains and real life stuff. I don't even know when I can start. I don't want to half-ass it so I won't begin until I know exactly what I am doing and that I will finish it.

Level 5
:mwahaha:My WIP

Attachments

• AMWIP.png
    AMWIP.png
    849.6 KB · Views: 165
HFR, just notice your lightning a bit.
I guess it's night (?). Well, then, either remove the moon (which i do not suggest) or remove the Light from above model (which i do suggest, since it's kinda clumsy with the surroundings) - i am speaking of the one on the back of that hill.
Then, checking the castle is like seeing another lightning, making nearby trees have a glow indicated by a source of light --> the castle. The yellow-green trees have a nice lightning, but the green ones (not only they make no good blending with the nearby yellow-green ones, but they have no lightning effect at all). I suggest you used midtones of red and remove the snow tile. It's also unnatural using snow and the trees are normally green and the rest yellow-green, which refers to autumn. Try a more elven blending. Unless i know what this WIP has to do with the contest theme, i can advise you to add some pixies here and there, but i don't know if it follows the contest's theme -what yours represents?-. So, finally, what i mean is that the pic seems to have a strong global lightning, when your castle's seems to interfere and outstrips it. Plus the total global lightning is kinda unnatural: your moon -the source of light- is behind the hill and the light from above seems to begin from another sky lighting source, which would of course mean another moon and so on. Anyway, likeable, i would invest more in a much better forest, more detailed and not another placement of tree doodads. Good luck ;) [No itention of being offensive, i just give you my opinion]

Level 10
@ Acvong, you really gonna leave that light house tipping over like that?
That tree in middle has another tree behind with same variation and rotation...
Otherwise its looking alright for WIP.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
What the??

I'm using blue fog...

Anyway, thanks for all your tips, I'll try to implement they but, today, I was improving my terrain a bit, and them I entered in the "View Entire Terrain" mode. But something strange happened. When I set the camera (like the one in my last WIP) the castle, the nearby trees and some rocks disappeared!!! I don't know why, but only these doodads disappeared, the others don't, and this only happens in that camera angle and in the View Entire Terrain mode... Strange, and I can't proced with my terrain now, as whitout the mode, the Yggdrasill and the clouds are covered by the fog...

Here's a screenshot, and I'm not joking!

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_040909_165142_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_040909_165142_01.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Level 18
lol

everyone will tell you that this is the most annoying and common Blizzard bug in the world....

all terrainers hate this bug. but there is nothing you can do about it.

You are going to have to change the camera angle somehow, and change it until you can see everything. Many believe that it has something to do with the models.

just try and fix the camera some more....try and get camera angles with closer distances or less FOV

Level 10
Wow, thats wierd..
When you turn fog back to way it was does it still looks that way?
Can you see those doodads from other angles, or through another cammera?

Level 24
Meh, I think I shall join this :p (It's never too late!)

Hmm... This must be asked before, but too lazy to read all comments, but can I just come up with something of my own or do I really need to base the terrain on some mythology?

Level 6
Really nice terrains. I'm thinking of joining aswell, is before-the-big-bang ancient enough? I'm thinking a black hole of nothingness (but blackness).

Level 19
Submissions may use any imported model in the Ultimate Terraining Map or Contest Sanctioned Models thread, but nothing else. EDIT: In addition, TWO imported UNIT models may be added. You may also use the hi-resolution cliff doodads, but PLEASE use them in moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.