• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WARCRAFT III: REFORGED PATCH NOTES

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Okay, since both mine and @Shar Dundred calls for peace have been ignored - it's time to call our overlord @Ralle to settle this.
If you have any issues with the thread when there is no rule breaking, you could unwatch it. Censoring or limiting the freedom of people isn't fair and is not really reasonable in this context.
I'm saying, this thread should not be locked, not even temporarily.

Level 13
Lemonsky Studio doesn't need to apologise for anything! They are imo the only thing in Reforged that's done right!
They were probably contracted by Blizzard way back in 2018 to do these models, which they did.
It's Blizzard that needsto apologize. This game being a disaster is 100% their fault!
The models are so high polly, because the game was planed to look completely different.
These models were created for both the scrapped movie like cutscenes and well, a 2020 game.
The game was originally planed to have a much more high poly environment, just look at tjhe environment from 2018 gameplay trailer! Million times higher poly grounds and cliffs, a million times better lighting, realistic weather conditions(wind and rain), realistic night day cycle, moving grass and trees and other vegetation(all having far more polygons), far more realistic dooads and critters, ray tracing, water reflections etc....

For this to happen a vast engine upgrade was required, as well as budget and people working on it. They probably planed to start from HotS's or WoW's engine and then do adjustments for Warcraft 3. But again bringing a new engine to a game is seriouse work that requires both people and budget.

And obviousely a few months after the developement started (let's say circa March 2019), Blizzard basically decided to abandon the game, canceling the budget and moving the stuff to other projects (Overwatch and Diablo most likely) and the devs released what they had. (not saying that I only blame the suits, I blame the devs as well, little details like footmen using High Elf skins in Blood Elf TfT campaign, when Blood Elf skin is there shows me just how much they cared about the game)

Last edited:
Level 32
Okay, I'm tired of this nonsense and since both mine and @Shar Dundred calls for peace have been ignored - it's time to call @Ralle to hopefully settle this.
Nah. Hold the ultimate card, Every Argument is gotta end regardless. It can’t even last for one single week either. Also, these two men will chill out no matter what. Either one side will get bored

Level 20
there is no rule breaking
I strongly disagree - site rules:

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

Level 16
@Venombite I read in the reddit thread (if it's still there) they had 1 hour per icon, and the default time is at least 2 hours per icon (according to a random game dev in that thread).
So yeah, they did meet unrealistic expectations, I agree. I just also agree that the chosen art style, and prioirty, wasn't the best. They could've and should've done a better job of optimizing it so then later there'd be no fps problems when using too much units.

Again, they're awesome, I believe good direction and leadership was amiss.

@MasterBlaster cmon man, cut us some slack. As much as this terrible argument has been going on, it reminds us of old days of activity around THW.

Level 6
both mine and @Shar Dundred calls for peace have been ignored
ive followed them each time, untill some one pokled the bear (again)

Panda is stronger than Doom Guard. I tested it before as far I remember. Each of Pandas level 8 are stronger anyway
i was thinking more of a doomguard poking a panda (not wc3 panda, actual panda) and the panda throwing an apple from an apple sack it carries (in a comic or sketch)

any one wanna make a reforged scene with pitlord and primal panda, but make them more even so the fight lasts much much longer? (oh evil thought make a contest out of it, best action scene wins)

Level 20
So, we're left with the offensive stuff which should be mended indeed via a post cleaning.
And that is all I'm asking for, so I guess we have an agreement here.

But, I'm not going to interfere futher. If Ralle comes in and says what's happening here is okay, I'll shut up and just ignore it :)

Last edited:
Level 6
Lemonsky Studio doesn't need to apologise for anything! They are imo the only thing in Reforged that's done right!
For this to happen a vast engine upgrade was required, as well as budget and people working on it. They probably planed to start from HotS's or WoW's engine and then do adjustments for Warcraft 3. But again bringing a new engine to a game is seriouse work that requires both people and budget.

That's probably the case but wouldn't engine upgrades ruin classic even more? They already made changes to the engine and classic doesn't look like it originally did. I don't remember where I read this but I read that the 30 FPS animation limit is because of cross-compatibility with classic.

And yes, the new models are definitely the best thing to come out of this, even if more than a few look a bit strange. At this point, the best I can hope for is that Blizzard use these in WOW, so they won't go to waste.

Level 34
any one wanna make a reforged scene with pitlord and primal panda, but make them more even so the fight lasts much much longer? (oh evil thought make a contest out of it, best action scene wins)
AH PRIMAL PANDA! How could I forget... That was Largest Panda Ever level 11. There is neutral Panda in Icecrown Glacier also.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Same ability, same drop according to the editor.

upload_2020-2-2_18-5-17.png

Look smaller though.

Level 27
Most Chinese players don't give a fxxx about which Wc3 version is the official one.They are used to downloading pirate version(earlier than 1.27) to play at multiple 3rd-party platforms.Take a look at the screenshot of our twitch-like site:

View attachment 346007
As you can see,none of our streamers are playing Reforged.Only those who have signed some contracts with Blizzard/Netease are willing to stream Reforged occasionally.Oh by the way,never mind the numbers of our live audience,you know,we Chinese are really good at faking numbers.

On the other hand,Netease Platform,the official agent of Blizzard in mainland China,is still supporting 1.27a with tons of microtransactions.One or two registered companies have been established recently to promote the monetizing of custom maps.So...unfortunately yeah,the new EULA seems like a shxx paper to Chinese players.

Then the whole thing becomes more hilarious and sad, Activision-Blizzard have been on their hand and knees trying to entice the Chinese market, and they gave a flying fuck about their efforts, i'm going to guess that the next step to get a gain from Reforged assets is a mobile game.

About the state of this thread, everyone here is an adult or something like that. I think Ralle and the mod are doing well by letting people vent here and not comming with the modhammer, because that just will make things worse.

In my particular and very cynical opinion, next week at least three other Overwatch heroes are going to come out of the closet in a very shocking revelation, some influencers are going to spun the "Toxic fan menace" can of worms again, while Blizz will keep their heads under the sand, until someone gets a good idea of what to say to the public.

Last edited:
Level 13
That's probably the case but wouldn't engine upgrades ruin classic even more? They already made changes to the engine and classic doesn't look like it originally did. I don't remember where I read this but I read that the 30 FPS animation limit is because of cross-compatibility with classic.

And yes, the new models are definitely the best thing to come out of this, even if more than a few look a bit strange. At this point, the best I can hope for is that Blizzard use these in WOW, so they won't go to waste.
They won't use them in WoW. They wouldn't fit into it at all, and changing WoW that much would be a suicide. Just to maintain WoW there are hundreds of people working daily, and updating and changing it, wouldn't really be benefitial, cause WoW is dying (I don't see the Shadowlands improving it in anyway, but maybe that's just me)

As for the engine, the two games would have probably needed to start separetly, with the ability to "communicate" with one another in online matching, again engine support would be required for this as well. So they could've just kept the Classic as it was with adding the ability to read Reforged input. And basically made Reforged a separate game, instead of just updating what they had in Classic.

I think that this is what the name "Reforged" originally meant, why it wasn't just "Remastered".

Level 8
Then the whole thing becomes more hilarious and sad, Activision-Blizzard have been on their hand and knees trying to entice the Chinese market, and they gave a flying fuck about their efforts, i'm going to guess that the next step to get a gain from Reforged assets is a mobile game.

Yeh it was same with World of Warcraft mists of PANDAria :)
Blizzard selling themself as shameless whore but chinese did not care :)

EDIT: oh boy reforged mobile is inevitable ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

EDIT2: yeh I played all wow expansions and liked MoP even played pandaren as main I ment it in way it did not help them with chinese market while I am confident when they were deciding about next expac it played big role.

Last edited:
Level 6
Yeh it was same with World of Warcraft mists of PANDAria

MoP was actually a great expansion and i cant wait for the new system where you can choose any expact to level a character from 10-60 (i think thats the number) come shadowlands

also i liked the joke but im pretty sure every one wanted to see where the pandaren came from
<<<< including chen stormstout

Level 20
Anyway, I don't see Pandas as a problem in the universe where we have fish-people, bear-people, walking corpses, half-naked elves and a little less-naked elves :p

And if we're talking about the things Reforged has nerfed - I've played the Bear Druids mission of the campaign and... you don't want to know what they did to it :D

In the part where you have to use Cyclone and Entangling Roots to get past the bear druids, they've made the bears neutral and they only attack you if you get really close to them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

I think Ralle is gonna kill us for this

Level 8
I mean they had one job:
a) make W3 HD and not touch anything else OR (especially not touch old W3)
b) make W4
instead they went for retarded*

*reforged

Level 13
Memes aside - I'm actually worried about Blizzard getting a bright idea to "reforge" Diablo 2 next.
Why would they "reforge" Diablo 2, when there's Diablo 4 coming? And is likely the companies second most important/main project. (reforged was just a side project)

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Memes aside - I'm actually worried about Blizzard getting a bright idea to "reforge" Diablo 2 next.
When would you learn that those are not Blizzard anymore? The Blizzard we all knew and grew up with is long gone. This new company is called Blizzvision / Activizzard

Level 20
Why would they "reforge" Diablo 2, when there's Diablo 4 coming? And is likely the companies second most important/main project. (reforged was just a side project)
Because that's the last of their 3 big hits that hasn't been remastered yet and Diablo 4 might be a pretty long way away.

When would you learn that those are not Blizzard anymore? The Blizzard we all knew and grew up with is long gone.
I know it's not the same Blizzard - I just prefer using factual names in my posts.

If they'll even have the resources for it by then.
That's a fair point - after Reforged they might not want to try any more remasters.

Level 13
Because that's the last of their 3 big hits that hasn't been remastered yet and Diablo 4 might be a pretty long way away.
Considering the current situation in the compainy, I'd assume that they're kinda in a rush to release it. After all it's (likely) the second main project for the company, with a large team and resources, while Diablo 3 was not. Diablo 3 was a project, started to work in WotLK era, when WoW was at it's heighest, the number 1 game in the world, and thus Blizzard was flourishing. Diablo 3 was actually a side project, and they were in no rush to release it. So I'd assume mid 2021 for Diablo IV.
That's a fair point - after Reforged they might not want to try any more remasters.
I'm fairly certain that Blizzard is aware that Reforged had a great potential. And failure is a result of their descision to sacrifice the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.